Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

08-10-2019, 09:17 AM   #1
austinm4x
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4 ZCP

Air conditioning refresh service left strong chemical smell inside car

Hey guys

I took my car in for routine oil change etc. Apparently, I had a bit of a musty smell coming from my A/C (I noticed it before but not strong). They said it could be bacteria source and recommended I get air conditioning refresh service (uses Wynn's AIRCOMATIC A/C tool). Car is only a year old so I figured I should maintain it and get the maintenance done.

Anyways, I get my car back and it smells like someone dumped 10 cans of shaving cream inside it. The smell is extremely strong and it's sort of ruining my experience with the car. It's been about a week now, every time I drive I ride with all the windows down and run the A/C at max for half the ride trying to get the smell out.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can get the smell back to "neutral" in there? I hate the smell of chemicals/strong fresheners etc. I just want it back to the smell of normal air.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 02:00 AM   #2
Beemerm3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW m3

it happen to my mercedes when i bought the car. they got ac foam that u can spray into the vents . but that didnt even work for me. i bought a steamer machine. and steam the inside vents. do the process again. but yeh eventually it will be removed. its your ac box that is causing a smell. also replace the cabin filter. replace cabin filter before u buy a steamer machine though.
this process worked over replacing the ac box where they pull out the dash.
Appreciate 0