proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

07-17-2019, 12:39 PM   #1
_BSMM5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Mystery Used M3 Coding

I bought a 2015 F80 5 days ago.. dealership buy so no previous owner information.

Loving the car so far but over the past few days I've noticed a few things that are obviously not stock where the previous owner has coded some things.

- GTS Logo on dash when starting up
- Door open sound is not typical gong noise
- No seat belt warnings
- 5 flash blinker instead of 3
- Fold up mirrors

I like all of these things and don't care one way or the other - here is what concerns me:

- Vehicle is equipped with EDC but it is coded out completley, doesn't even show up on dash.

- After checking for coilovers/springs, it has KW HAS which should retain factory EDC, and the EDC plugs were just tucked away.

- Reverse lamp malfunction/No reverse lights (this could be due to a number of issues other than coding

- Sideview camera malfunction (they both come on when you activate for about 2 seconds then one turns blue and it disappears, not as concerned about this as I had it on my M5 and never used it once)

Out of all this, what I would really like back is EDC, did he have coilovers with the delete and was then too lazy to recode-plug back in after? Is there something wrong with the EDC? How can I code it back in?

If I take it to the dealer and ask them to reset the car, how much are money are they going to suck out of me? (car is out of warranty).

Could there be more errors or codes being hidden by the code?

Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated! I'm not afraid of doing some coding/uncoding myself if there is a good way to check for these things - while I haven't done coding for BMWs, I am an engineer with software exp. and am willing to learn given the right direction.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 01:25 PM   #2
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by _BSMM5 View Post
I bought a 2015 F80 5 days ago.. dealership buy so no previous owner information.

Loving the car so far but over the past few days I've noticed a few things that are obviously not stock where the previous owner has coded some things.

- No seat belt warnings
- Fold up mirrors

I like all of these things and don't care one way or the other - here is what concerns me:

- Vehicle is equipped with EDC but it is coded out completley, doesn't even show up on dash.

- After checking for coilovers/springs, it has KW HAS which should retain factory EDC, and the EDC plugs were just tucked away.

- Reverse lamp malfunction/No reverse lights (this could be due to a number of issues other than coding

- Sideview camera malfunction (they both come on when you activate for about 2 seconds then one turns blue and it disappears, not as concerned about this as I had it on my M5 and never used it once)

Out of all this, what I would really like back is EDC, did he have coilovers with the delete and was then too lazy to recode-plug back in after? Is there something wrong with the EDC? How can I code it back in?

If I take it to the dealer and ask them to reset the car, how much are money are they going to suck out of me? (car is out of warranty).

Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated! I'm not afraid of doing some coding/uncoding myself if there is a good way to check for these things - while I haven't done coding for BMWs, I am an engineer with software exp. and am willing to learn given the right direction.
Sounds like someone had coilovers and LCI tails and parted out before selling.

You'll need someone to remote code to fix everything or return to a clean slate. EDC computer is likely unplugged also. Dealer can help, but will likely need to open a PUMA case as the VO needs to be modified.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 1
_BSMM5123.50
      07-17-2019, 01:33 PM   #3
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X7 40i

You just bought it. Have them undo the coding back to the defaults. You want to start clean coz who knows what other things the previous owner did to the car. EDC will probably fault right off the bat, but you know what it is about so you can deal with that separately.
Appreciate 1
_BSMM5123.50
      07-17-2019, 02:18 PM   #4
_BSMM5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Sounds like someone had coilovers and LCI tails and parted out before selling.

You'll need someone to remote code to fix everything or return to a clean slate. EDC computer is likely unplugged also. Dealer can help, but will likely need to open a PUMA case as the VO needs to be modified.

Any reccomendations on who can do a clean state? I'd rather stay away from the dealer unless they have something I absolutely need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danchee View Post
You just bought it. Have them undo the coding back to the defaults. You want to start clean coz who knows what other things the previous owner did to the car. EDC will probably fault right off the bat, but you know what it is about so you can deal with that separately.
Yeah thats definitely what I was originally thinking. Hopefully I can get the EDC back up and going as the ride is very firm right now.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 03:05 PM   #5
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Any reccomendations on who can do a clean state? I'd rather stay away from the dealer unless they have something I absolutely need.
Try the regional section to see if someone is nearby.

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 03:07 PM   #6
_BSMM5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Try the regional section to see if someone is nearby.
I'm in San Antonio, May be someone in Houston or Dallas but I know my area doesn't have anyone.

What about remote?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 03:46 PM   #7
_BSMM5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Also just realized my tailights are LCI tailights. Didn't part those out, but must've not coded them completely.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 02:31 PM   #8
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
I'm in San Antonio, May be someone in Houston or Dallas but I know my area doesn't have anyone.

What about remote?
Replied to your email. Sorry, I don't code remotely.

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 02:10 PM   #9
_BSMM5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

What about remote?
Replied to your email. Sorry, I don't code remotely.
No worries,I recoded it. It was pretty simple, thanks for the response!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 12:17 AM   #10
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:

- No seat belt warnings
- Fold up mirrors

If you just purchased the vehicle, why wouldn't you go back to the Dealer and ask them to fix free of charge?

Most reputable Dealers inspect the car to find issues prior to putting them up for sale from a simple liability standpoint.

Actually, the Dealer simply has to update the iStep for your car and it should reset everything and return everything to factory settings. Most Dealers charge less than $300 for this - but I would suspect they would do this for free as you just purchased.

That should also eliminate any other gotchas you have not found.
Appreciate 0