EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

03-06-2024, 12:16 PM   #1
i_drive_cars
Registered
Rep
Drives: Volkswagen GTI

F80 vs GTI - Comfort?

Hi everyone!

I have a stock 2018 GTI currently and am looking to switch to another car. The GTI is an amazing performer and is great around town, but has been a little bumpy on rough CA roads and noisy on my longer trips (road and wind noise at 80 mph). My car has passive dampers.

An F80 is on my radar, but I've seen the many posts about how bad their NVH is, in lieu of how connected the driving experience is. However, it does have a longer wheelbase than the GTI and I'm curious how they compare.

If anyone has owned/driven both of these cars, any perspective on how overall ride/NVH/road and wind noise stack up between them?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 08:45 AM   #2
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

My wife has a 2017 GTI (we've had since new). It is a great "all rounder." I believe it is the best bang for the buck possible. Love GTIs.

The M3 does have adaptive suspension as an option. The softest suspension setting is somewhat close to the stock GTI suspension in comfort/feel. The M3 is louder than a GTI (at least I think so, I haven't checked any actual dB readings...). If these are the biggest items to check off on a car purchase, I would probably avoid the M3.

Overall, I would say that you should drive one or two to check it out for yourself. See how it feels, and if you think it's something you can live with.