ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

06-11-2017, 08:17 PM   #199
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Thanks for posting op. I have a 2016 and have not had an issue. Who knows...it could show up one day and I'll have this thread to check.
      06-12-2017, 10:21 AM   #200
scash62
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 F80

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Yes, I definitely noticed enough to search online.

VIN: WBS8M9C55G5D30129
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 07:14 PM   #201
Nadeemp8
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Unfortunately looks like I am a part of this as well. Weird thing is I bought the car with 8k on it and it tracked straight and drove very well. I burned through the rear tires and had the dealer install new tires as well as do an alignment at 13k. After this car pulled to the right even though alignment results showed even and spot on. To top it off inner front tires worn down to cords in less than 1k. Dealer has had my car for almost 2 weeks now and is saying they re-did alignment and put two new front tires on and pull is still there. They are installing camber knuckle (guessing this is the same as the steering knuckle) under warranty to hopefully fix the pull. Sounds like I'm going to have to keep a very close eye on the alignment results when I get the car back...
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 10:12 PM   #202
BitchinManWheels
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M4, Z4, X5, Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadeemp8 View Post
Unfortunately looks like I am a part of this as well. Weird thing is I bought the car with 8k on it and it tracked straight and drove very well. I burned through the rear tires and had the dealer install new tires as well as do an alignment at 13k. After this car pulled to the right even though alignment results showed even and spot on. To top it off inner front tires worn down to cords in less than 1k. Dealer has had my car for almost 2 weeks now and is saying they re-did alignment and put two new front tires on and pull is still there. They are installing camber knuckle (guessing this is the same as the steering knuckle) under warranty to hopefully fix the pull. Sounds like I'm going to have to keep a very close eye on the alignment results when I get the car back...
If it's not too late, tell them to update your software (including electronic steering) first before messing with your camber.
      06-15-2017, 11:57 AM   #203
ONE1
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitchinManWheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadeemp8 View Post
If it's not too late, tell them to update your software (including electronic steering) first before messing with your camber.
What software update are you guys asking for? I've been dealing with my dealership and BMWNA on this issue since December. I took delivery of the car and drove off the lot with this problem. After many months and many attempts from the dealership to fix this, I finally received it back a few months ago and it felt like it was much less prone to drifting. However, the steering wheel is still off center and the car will still drift right if you aren't applying pressure in the opposite direction. It's much better than it was before but still frustrating to deal with on a new car. I took it in again recently as I wanted this finally resolved and my dealership was unable to locate any kind of software update. They contacted BMW and reported that there was no software update.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 03:50 PM   #204
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I've never heard of a software update that'll fix a right pull on a car.

It might make the steering wheel feel lighter so you're not fighting the pull as hard but me thinks it'll still be there.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 07:51 PM   #205
ONE1
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglo View Post
I've never heard of a software update that'll fix a right pull on a car.

It might make the steering wheel feel lighter so you're not fighting the pull as hard but me thinks it'll still be there.
It makes sense that there would be updates to the software given the steering wheel is now electronic. However, my service department was unaware of any updates related to this and they were told by BMW that there's no update as well. Others are claiming it fixed their cars so I'm curious to know what the specific update is.

Those with this issue, do you also notice the car wanting to move hard to the right under heavy acceleration? I know performance cars can feel unstable and wonder a bit when accelerating quickly, but I'm referring to a strong pull to the right.

Last edited by ONE1; 06-16-2017 at 08:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 08:05 PM   #206
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONE1 View Post
It makes sense that there would be updates to the software given the steering wheel is now electronic. However, my service department was unaware of any updates related to this and they were told by BMW that there's no update as well. The OP and others are claiming it fixed their cars so I'm curious to know what the specific update is.

Those with this issue, do you also notice the car wanting to move hard to the right under heavy acceleration? I know performance cars can feel unstable and wonder a bit when accelerating quickly, but I'm referring to a strong pull to the right.
The Electric Power Steering is not an autopilot, if your car is pullin right, it has no way of making it go straight.
All it does is provide power steering.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 08:41 PM   #207
ONE1
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
The Electric Power Steering is not an autopilot, if your car is pullin right, it has no way of making it go straight.
All it does is provide power steering.
Thank you for educating me on that.

Do you have this issue on your car? I'm just curious if you have first hand experience with this and are aware of the common symptoms that are related to this problem and can provide some valuable insight.

One of the symptoms is a steering wheel that sits slightly off center when the wheels are straight. Normally your steering wheel will rest centered, mine is always tilted to the right. Just enough that you have to continuously pull the wheel in the other direction while driving. This is how the car drove brand new off the lot.

From a suspension standpoint, my service department has the car straight and the alignment shows it should track straight. Subtle adjustments have seemed to improve it but the tilted steering wheel has been a persistent symptom and seems to be what is leading the car to pull right.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 09:31 PM   #208
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Do you have this issue on your car? I'm just curious if you have first hand experience with this and are aware of the common symptoms that are related to this problem and can provide some valuable insight.

One of the symptoms is a steering wheel that sits slightly off center when the wheels are straight. Normally your steering wheel will rest centered, mine is always tilted to the right. Just enough that you have to continuously pull the wheel in the other direction while driving. This is how the car drove brand new off the lot.

From a suspension standpoint, my service department has the car straight and the alignment shows it should track straight. Subtle adjustments have seemed to improve it but the tilted steering wheel has been a persistent symptom and seems to be what is leading the car to pull right.
Your steering wheel is not centered because when the car was being aligned, it wasnt secured in the center position, simple as that.
Nothing to do with the electric power steering.

I dont think BMW knows what's making some cars pull right.
It could be some cars arent level, even with a good alignment, the car will pull where the slight lean is...

I had the same problem before i got my coilovers, i was gonna get coilovers anyway but that solved it
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 09:38 PM   #209
ONE1
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglo
Quote:

Your steering wheel is not centered because when the car was being aligned, it wasnt secured in the center position, simple as that.

It could be some cars arent level, even with a good alignment, the car will pull where the slight lean is...

I had the same problem before i got my coilovers, i was gonna get coilovers anyway but that solved it
What coilovers are you running?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 10:17 PM   #210
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What coilovers are you running?
Ohins R&T
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 12:29 AM   #211
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Geometries must be the bane of car manufacturers. About 10 years ago I had a 350z and was on a forum with a thread similar to this one. The problem described in that thread was for front tires abnormally wearing. Mine got so bad after 4,000 miles you could not hear the person talking next to you due to the uneven tire wear.

I took it to Nissan and was told 'it's a sports car tires wear out quickly on them.'. I took it in again and was blown off again. I gave them a final try. They took it and said nothing was wrong...

I got a pro bono lawyer....sued them...and won. They had to pay me back 100% of the purchase price and about $8,000 or $10,000 to the lawyer.
      06-17-2017, 10:32 AM   #212
BitchinManWheels
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M4, Z4, X5, Raptor

Quote:
Quote:

I think there's something else going on...
I've had MANY alignments, full Dinan suspension installed, camber plates, new tires, EPS software update, steering re centered/zeroed, and my car still pulls.
As others have posted, my steering wheel feels neutral a little off center to the right. The car still pulls to the right but not nearly as bad. I've done so much to my car that I can't tell you what has made it better.
My next step is to take it back in for the July EPS update then work on the caster.
      06-17-2017, 02:32 PM   #213
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitchinManWheels View Post
I think there's something else going on...
I've had MANY alignments, full Dinan suspension installed, camber plates, new tires, EPS software update, steering re centered/zeroed, and my car still pulls.
As others have posted, my steering wheel feels neutral a little off center to the right. The car still pulls to the right but not nearly as bad. I've done so much to my car that I can't tell you what has made it better.
My next step is to take it back in for the July EPS update then work on the caster.

Ohlins fixed mine, i really love and enjoy how the car tracks straight. The right pull was pretty annoying.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 02:34 PM   #214
vip
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Alpine White M5

This still an issue for anyone?
      06-11-2020, 09:56 PM   #215
McBobby Jr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vip View Post
This still an issue for anyone?
I'm still having this issue after like 4 alignments, new tires, and the SIB 32 01 17 "apparently" installed at the dealership.
previous
'08 E90 335i Montego Blue
Appreciate 0