GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Closed Thread

05-30-2015, 07:47 AM   #45
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

now that's some purrty bling!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 08:53 PM   #46
poloka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 540xi

Anyone making coil overs for F06 GC xdrive?

Previously owned:
2015 650xi Gran Coupe MSport
2011 X5 50xi MSport
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 11:18 PM   #47
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
hgmotorsports

Not a F8x owner at the moment, but I would be very interested in this setup when I switch to F8x down the line, as I have good experience with Ohline TTX based shocks on my bike. However, could you explain the reasoning of using a real coilover setup vs the factory setup for the rear suspension. I am little worried about the stress that put on the upper shock mounting point, as it wasn't designed to carry the load of the shock AND spring from the factory. Thanks in advance.
no answers???
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 01:23 PM   #48
hgmotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Drives at Redline

Quote:
hgmotorsports

Not a F8x owner at the moment, but I would be very interested in this setup when I switch to F8x down the line, as I have good experience with Ohline TTX based shocks on my bike. However, could you explain the reasoning of using a real coilover setup vs the factory setup for the rear suspension. I am little worried about the stress that put on the upper shock mounting point, as it wasn't designed to carry the load of the shock AND spring from the factory. Thanks in advance.
Quote:
no answers???
Apologies for the delay!

To answer the initial question, this worry about the stress being put on the upper shock mounting point is true in regards to the E36, E46 and E92 chassis, which for a true coilover setup with inboard spring mounting would require a shock tower brace at the bare minimum, and a halfcage with mounting to the shock tower recommended. On the F8X chassis however, the chassis is is SIGNIFICANTLY, I repeat, SIGNIFICANTLY, stronger and stiffer than its predecessors, with an already integrated shock mounting plate. This allows for an inboard mounting solution.

With the use of an inboard spring mounting solution, referred to as "true coilover" set up, it allows for a lower spring rate to be used than that of a divorced spring and shock mounting.

This TTX kit also replaces the pin mount with an I mount with spherical bearing, adding to the rigidity of the chassis and creating a more compact design.

We can only guess to say that BMW keeps a separated shock and spring mounting point for cost benefits since that design is cheaper than a coilover set up for the rear.

Hope this information helps!
Appreciate 2
cotmfk2048.00
      06-03-2015, 01:51 PM   #49
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgmotorsports View Post
Apologies for the delay!

To answer the initial question, this worry about the stress being put on the upper shock mounting point is true in regards to the E36, E46 and E92 chassis, which for a true coilover setup with inboard spring mounting would require a shock tower brace at the bare minimum, and a halfcage with mounting to the shock tower recommended. On the F8X chassis however, the chassis is is SIGNIFICANTLY, I repeat, SIGNIFICANTLY, stronger and stiffer than its predecessors, with an already integrated shock mounting plate. This allows for an inboard mounting solution.

With the use of an inboard spring mounting solution, referred to as "true coilover" set up, it allows for a lower spring rate to be used than that of a divorced spring and shock mounting.

This TTX kit also replaces the pin mount with an I mount with spherical bearing, adding to the rigidity of the chassis and creating a more compact design.

We can only guess to say that BMW keeps a separated shock and spring mounting point for cost benefits since that design is cheaper than a coilover set up for the rear.

Great, thanks for the info. Would you mind sharing some pictures of the installation of the rear shocks for clarification. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 03:24 PM   #50
hgmotorsports
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Great, thanks for the info. Would you mind sharing some pictures of the installation of the rear shocks for clarification. Thanks in advance!
Here are a couple of photos of the rear unit.

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 06:36 PM   #51
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Apologies for the delay!

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I'm interested to hear how you tested the strength of the shock mounting point. I know on the F30, it didn't seem like that area was reinforced more than it needed to be. My inquiring mind would like to know as I'm considering this kit.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 07:09 PM   #52
hgmotorsports
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex o View Post
Thank you for the detailed explanation. I'm interested to hear how you tested the strength of the shock mounting point. I know on the F30, it didn't seem like that area was reinforced more than it needed to be. My inquiring mind would like to know as I'm considering this kit.
All testing and prototype design was performed by Performance Shock. We will reach out to them for a definitive answer, but we believe the differences in the F30 to F80 chassis are vast, and from what we've been able to tell ourselves here at HG is that the F80 chassis is far more reinforced than that of the F30 and the previous M3's chassis.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 07:10 PM   #53
haversham
Rep
Drives: M3

there appears to be separate collars for adjusting preload and height on only the front coilovers. is what i'm seeing accurate?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 07:50 PM   #54
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
All testing and prototype design was performed by Performance Shock. We will reach out to them for a definitive answer, but we believe the differences in the F30 to F80 chassis are vast, and from what we've been able to tell ourselves here at HG is that the F80 chassis is far more reinforced than that of the F30 and the previous M3's chassis.
Woohoo! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 01:24 PM   #55
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
+1 From all the technical information I have dig up, the uni-body is shared between F80 and F30, while the rear subframe and all the control arms are improved on the F80. So I don't see why the F80 rear upper shock mounting points will be significantly stronger than F30.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 02:31 PM   #56
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
+1 From all the technical information I have dig up, the uni-body is shared between F80 and F30, while the rear subframe and all the control arms are improved on the F80. So I don't see why the F80 rear upper shock mounting points will be significantly stronger than F30.
This is what I was thinking as well. The upper shock mounting point is DEFINITELY part of the unibody and not a separate piece like the subframe. What I took away from the reply was that the F3x and the F8x chassis are both stronger than the E9x chassis. However, I guess that still doesn't 100% satisfy the original question.

So I guess the strength of the upper mounts are still speculation unless there was actual measurable testing done. On the one hand, it's easy to believe that the mounts are stronger than the previous chassis given what BMW has done to stiffen up the chassis overall. But on the other hand, BMW didn't really have a reason to strengthen the upper shock mount more than it need to be when the suspension was designed to host the spring in a different location.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 05:23 PM   #57
hgmotorsports
United_States
Rep

Alright guys, time to send these Ohlins to a good home!

The kit is officially for sale: $7,900, installed here at HG Motorsports.

Kit comes complete with the TC Kline camber plates (you'll need new camber plates if you have the 5 bolt struts).

Email us at sales@hgmotorsports.com or call us at (619)504-8140.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 06:26 PM   #58
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Kit comes complete with the TC Kline camber plates (you'll need new camber plates if you have the 5 bolt struts).

That's actually pretty reasonable, consider TTX shocks can be $2k each if purchased separately.

Still would like to see how durable the rear upper mounts are having them as a true coilover setup.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 08:32 PM   #59
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:

Is this for the specific test unit on this thread or a new kit?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 02:03 PM   #60
hgmotorsports
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is this for the specific test unit on this thread or a new kit?
It's for the unit in this thread, with 2,000 miles on it. This unit is the same as the production unit, with the TC Kline camber plate.

New kit is around $11,000.

Last edited by hgmotorsports; 07-06-2015 at 06:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 07:24 PM   #61
beau@performanceshockinc
Rep
Drives: Ralt RT41

Quote:
This is what I was thinking as well. The upper shock mounting point is DEFINITELY part of the unibody and not a separate piece like the subframe. What I took away from the reply was that the F3x and the F8x chassis are both stronger than the E9x chassis. However, I guess that still doesn't 100% satisfy the original question.

So I guess the strength of the upper mounts are still speculation unless there was actual measurable testing done. On the one hand, it's easy to believe that the mounts are stronger than the previous chassis given what BMW has done to stiffen up the chassis overall. But on the other hand, BMW didn't really have a reason to strengthen the upper shock mount more than it need to be when the suspension was designed to host the spring in a different location.
It should be worth noting that the bumpstop load is distributed in the same place on the chassis as where our rear coil-over damper mounts. When bumpstop engagement occurs with the OE dampers, there is a significant amount of load taken through the chassis at that point, because of this, we determined that the upper mounting point was certainly robust enough to handle a true coil-over. We are in the process finishing up some final details and the kit will be available to the market as a new PSi Raceline kit. Take care.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 11:03 PM   #62
Fast4d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

I have ohlins on several of my bikes they are amazing. huge improvement on my bmw s1000rr

maybe a few years down the road after I get my 2016 m3
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 10:55 AM   #63
hgmotorsports
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJ View Post
Hi Gabriel,

When adjusting for a track day, is it just take the wheels off to adjust? Whats a ballpark street setting vs a track setting? 5 / halfway for street and ten all the way for track? How does this work?
We did a lot of testing and found that the best setting for the track we were at is just add 2 clicks of compression and take away one click of rebound.

To adjust the suspension you do not need to remove the tires. You can reach in and adjust it as long as you remember which one of the clickers refers to rebound and which one refers to compression.

The good news is that this setting is also very comfortable for the street, so we have not even changed it back to the "comfort" setting since the track testing.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 07:44 PM   #64
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
We did a lot of testing and found that the best setting for the track we were at is just add 2 clicks of compression and take away one click of rebound.

To adjust the suspension you do not need to remove the tires. You can reach in and adjust it as long as you remember which one of the clickers refers to rebound and which one refers to compression.

The good news is that this setting is also very comfortable for the street, so we have not even changed it back to the "comfort" setting since the track testing.
How's the NVH? Are there any minor noises over bumps etc?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 01:17 PM   #65
hgmotorsports
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How's the NVH? Are there any minor noises over bumps etc?
Comparable to stock. No new noises coming from the suspension system.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 12:13 AM   #66
M4 away
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Hi Gabriel,

Is there something like this for the ///M4 Yet to go with your TTX36 on the rear?
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread