ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-10-2014, 01:16 PM   #67
KevN27
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

I get some of the inputs about active damping is constantly adjusting the damping rate, but I am surprised that the system can respond so quickly...Bumps on the road require much faster changes than yaw etc. Or does it only compensate for yaw? What's the required response time for something like this? In the us? ms range?

I guess i am just skeptical that we're getting this much for a $1000 option.

I (and I imagine 98% of the people) will just leave it on one setting anyway.

Last edited by KevN27; 04-10-2014 at 05:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 04:27 PM   #68
ake
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 e40

I just dropped this option out of my configuration yesterday since I figured that I'd be using sport mode most of the time anyways.

So I just stick to the "basics" and will be very happy once I need to replace these about the "low" costs
[ Yas Marina Blue | Black Full Merino Leather | 19" Black-Light Alloy Wheels | M Double-Clutch Transmission | Carbon Fiber interior | Driver Assistance Plus / Lighting / Executive | Adaptive M Suspension | Harman Kardon Surround ]
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 05:36 PM   #69
BhamDavid
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I'm satisfied now. See: http://youtu.be/IwY9E6AlrJw

Adaptive is now part of my order.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 08:09 PM   #70
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevN27 View Post
I get some of the inputs about active damping is constantly adjusting the damping rate, but I am surprised that the system can respond so quickly...Bumps on the road require much faster changes than yaw etc. Or does it only compensate for yaw? What's the required response time for something like this? In the us? ms range?

I guess i am just skeptical that we're getting this much for a $1000 option.

I (and I imagine 98% of the people) will just leave it on one setting anyway.
Yes, you are getting that much for $1000. The cost of an adaptive suspension system to the OEM is typically $300-700, with Magneride at the high end of that range and other systems in the lower to middle.

The baseline damping is tuned properly to handle small bumps without needing additional adaptive control, then the control is increased very quickly when a larger input or body motion (roll, pitch, heave) is encountered. The typical response time is 5-15ms. The link below explains how this works in a bit more detail. However, note that I wrote it in context of the F30 system, which is not the same as the F8X or E9XM system. The M adaptive system has faster response, and is more appropriate for a performance application.

These systems DO work when well tuned. You can feel it, and on cars I've worked on, objective measurement data shows significant reduction in body motion and acceleration while maintaining ride quality and road input transmissibility.

IMO, The E9XM and F10M adaptive suspensions are quite good, and based on how quickly this technology is advancing, I expect the F8X adaptive suspension to be very impressive.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showth...hlight=racer20

Last edited by Racer20; 04-10-2014 at 08:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 08:33 PM   #71
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhamDavid View Post
Racer20... Got questions.

Do adaption damper systems typically adjust each damper individually? If so, does the control system look at yaw rates and include that factor into adjustments that are made?

I been searching for stuff to read to get a better education on this and haven't found anything but basic marketing information. Do you have suggestions?
The dampers are able to be adjusted individually. The control system looks at pretty much every factor you can imagine. Yaw rate, roll/pitch/heave, ride height, throttle/brake/gas inputs, ambient temperature, wheel speed, engine rpm, etc.

Anything that can be sensed can be used as an input if someone can find a use for it and write the software. I have a car at work where, with a few extra lines of code, I could use GPS to have the car behave in a specific way for each corner on a race track, or have it do something specific when I hit the annoying crack at the end of my driveway. It's also possible to stiffen the damper slightly over months or years or based on mileage to account for normal wear over the life of the car.

Unfortunately, these systems are a bit out of the realm of the typical amateur racer and most aftermarket companies, so there isn't much consumer level information out there other than marketing materials.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 08:36 PM   #72
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ake View Post
I just dropped this option out of my configuration yesterday since I figured that I'd be using sport mode most of the time anyways.

So I just stick to the "basics" and will be very happy once I need to replace these about the "low" costs
You replace dampers due to two reasons: Catastrophic failure or gradual loss of damping due to normal wear.

Durability requirements for most adaptive dampers are more stringent, so catastrophic failure is less of an issue than in the past. They are also typically less sensitive to damping loss over time, especially since it's possible to automatically account for this in the software.

The 60k mile shock replacement isn't necessary with these dampers as it once was, say for an E46.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 10:09 PM   #73
ake
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20 View Post
You replace dampers due to two reasons: Catastrophic failure or gradual loss of damping due to normal wear.

Durability requirements for most adaptive dampers are more stringent, so catastrophic failure is less of an issue than in the past. They are also typically less sensitive to damping loss over time, especially since it's possible to automatically account for this in the software.
I know this is a reason which might never be applied. For me the main reason is that I cannot really judge if it is worth the extra $1000 to me. I haven't driven either suspension (be it the M or the adaptive M) and I think as long as I haven't for a longer period of time I most probably couldn't tell the difference.

I will try to talk my dealer into adding it for half the price on my order... which should be possible since I got a lot of options. If he doesn't do it I won't take it... knowing that I'll be happy with the M suspension as well. I suppose this is better then the M suspension on my 1 series (hatchback, in Germany) so it should be pretty impressive
[ Yas Marina Blue | Black Full Merino Leather | 19" Black-Light Alloy Wheels | M Double-Clutch Transmission | Carbon Fiber interior | Driver Assistance Plus / Lighting / Executive | Adaptive M Suspension | Harman Kardon Surround ]
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 11:58 PM   #74
tonymac1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i, 2011 E90 M3

Adaptive suspension question

Hi guys
just a quick question, is the adaptive suspension option same as the edc option in the e92? where u can set it to comfort or sport?
So if u don't include the adaptive suspension option, is the suspension set to comfort all the time? does the ride differ at all without the option??
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 12:20 AM   #75
Lups
Rep
Drives: I don't own a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymac1 View Post
Hi guys
just a quick question, is the adaptive suspension option same as the edc option in the e92? where u can set it to comfort or sport?
So if u don't include the adaptive suspension option, is the suspension set to comfort all the time? does the ride differ at all without the option??
No one has driven it, so this is a guessing game.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 12:36 AM   #76
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

From the specs listed by Jason:

- Optional EDC Adaptive M Suspension features 3 modes: Comfort, Sport, Sport+

We don't know where the passive suspension is positioned vs. the adaptive. The common guess based on earlier M models is between comfort and sport in terms of stiffness. The ride is usually smoother with the adaptive suspension due to it's continuous adaptation to the road surface. It does IMO tend to rob you of some communication and predictability and maybe steering feel as well in return.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 02:38 PM   #77
Jaguar
Mark 42
Rep
Drives: M

Adaptive gives you one setting firmer (Sport +) and one setting softer (Comfort). Passive suspension is right in the middle.

Adaptive M definitely does not rob of any road feel.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 03:00 PM   #78
LDSM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
The dampers are able to be adjusted individually. The control system looks at pretty much every factor you can imagine. Yaw rate, roll/pitch/heave, ride height, throttle/brake/gas inputs, ambient temperature, wheel speed, engine rpm, etc.

Anything that can be sensed can be used as an input if someone can find a use for it and write the software. I have a car at work where, with a few extra lines of code, I could use GPS to have the car behave in a specific way for each corner on a race track, or have it do something specific when I hit the annoying crack at the end of my driveway. It's also possible to stiffen the damper slightly over months or years or based on mileage to account for normal wear over the life of the car.

Unfortunately, these systems are a bit out of the realm of the typical amateur racer and most aftermarket companies, so there isn't much consumer level information out there other than marketing materials.
Thanks Racer20,
great information.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 03:21 PM   #79
KevN27
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Yes, you are getting that much for $1000. The cost of an adaptive suspension system to the OEM is typically $300-700, with Magneride at the high end of that range and other systems in the lower to middle.

The baseline damping is tuned properly to handle small bumps without needing additional adaptive control, then the control is increased very quickly when a larger input or body motion (roll, pitch, heave) is encountered. The typical response time is 5-15ms. The link below explains how this works in a bit more detail. However, note that I wrote it in context of the F30 system, which is not the same as the F8X or E9XM system. The M adaptive system has faster response, and is more appropriate for a performance application.

These systems DO work when well tuned. You can feel it, and on cars I've worked on, objective measurement data shows significant reduction in body motion and acceleration while maintaining ride quality and road input transmissibility.

IMO, The E9XM and F10M adaptive suspensions are quite good, and based on how quickly this technology is advancing, I expect the F8X adaptive suspension to be very impressive.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showth...hlight=racer20
Thank you. Think will add it on. "Just" $1000 on top of a growing list...
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 03:48 PM   #80
curehead
Second Lieutenant
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

My sales person told me the passive suspension is only slightly softer than sport + on the adaptive dampers and that adaptive dampers would only give more on the comfort side of the spectrum. But i think he must have been guessing based on E90 EDCs since the new adaptive suspension is newly developed and i very much doubt he has driven it yet
      04-11-2014, 08:52 PM   #81
ake
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I will try to talk my dealer into adding it for half the price on my order... which should be possible since I got a lot of options. If he doesn't do it I won't take it... knowing that I'll be happy with the M suspension as well. I suppose this is better then the M suspension on my 1 series (hatchback, in Germany) so it should be pretty impressive
Talking worked... so actually I could add it back for just +$500 on the overall price agreed upon last Wednesday. I think this is a very good deal.

Drove the M5 with the adaptive suspension today. Could not really feel it on the short course I was supposed to go, but it was a fairly new road with very little curves...
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 08:54 PM   #82
BM635
Private
Rep
Drives: E24 635CSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar
Adaptive gives you one setting firmer (Sport +) and one setting softer (Comfort). Passive suspension is right in the middle.

Adaptive M definitely does not rob of any road feel.
So which setting is it when the car is in Sport mode? Will adaptive have a total of 3 firmness settings?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 09:06 PM   #83
Maddict3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw View Post
!
you're abusing that image already. thats enough
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 09:14 PM   #84
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Talking worked... so actually I could add it back for just +$500 on the overall price agreed upon last Wednesday. I think this is a very good deal.

Drove the M5 with the adaptive suspension today. Could not really feel it on the short course I was supposed to go, but it was a fairly new road with very little curves...
Nice. Not a bad deal.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 07:21 AM   #85
jbraslins
Latvian Gangstah
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Melbourne Red 6MT

I am skeptical whether adaptive suspension actually takes input from various sensors and adjusts on the fly. In E90 M3 EDC was just a 3 setting button for 3 levels of shock stiffness. There was no real-time adjustment of any kind.

If F80 adaptive suspension actually changes its stiffness based on various real-time factors, I'll be more than pleasantly surprised.
[SOLD] 2002 TiAg E46 M3 manual
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 07:42 AM   #86
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep

I design and tune these systems for a living. They do adjust in real time based on sensors on the car. The button determines HOW they adjust.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 01:30 PM   #87
Caruso0644
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i / 15' M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhamDavid View Post
I'm satisfied now. See: http://youtu.be/IwY9E6AlrJw

Adaptive is now part of my order.
This video helped me make my choice
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 08:14 PM   #88
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbraslins View Post
In E90 M3 EDC was just a 3 setting button for 3 levels of shock stiffness. There was no real-time adjustment of any kind.
This is not accurate.

One the E9X, the EDC Comfort and Normal modes are dynamically adjusted while the Sport mode has a fixed damper setting. For those that have the ZCP competition pack, the Sport mode is also dynamically adjusted.
Appreciate 0