Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

07-26-2014, 10:37 AM   #89
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott
Where's the report on opening and closing the hood? No engine pics? Trunk pics? Also we're gonna need a walk-around video as well as a short drive video.

I'm kinda surprised you're not more on top of this
Yes sir getting on it now sir
      07-26-2014, 11:01 AM   #90
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Yes! I suggest someone start a thread on best techniques for closing the hood!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 11:03 AM   #91
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspyrops View Post
I'm not saying I'm doing it, I am saying that there is a way to bypass auto-rev matching and heel toe if you wanted to.
cool you can also bypass the auto rev by switching to sport plus mode

hope to see you on the track in tx one of these days!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 11:04 AM   #92
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers
Quote:
I'm not saying I'm doing it, I am saying that there is a way to bypass auto-rev matching and heel toe if you wanted to.
cool

hope to see you on the track in tx one of these days!
Sure thing Kenny Pee!!!
      07-26-2014, 11:06 AM   #93
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

love the paint color in the sun, so glad I ordered MW

also, the finish of the wheels in silver is incredible, great machining work and looks great with the gunmetal touches. I was really impressed with the wheels when I saw them in person. I did NOT like them in pics, but they are very well done

great car, congrats
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 11:12 AM   #94
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers
love the paint color in the sun, so glad I ordered MW

also, the finish of the wheels in silver is incredible, great machining work and looks great with the gunmetal touches. I was really impressed with the wheels when I saw them in person. I did NOT like them in pics, but they are very well done

great car, congrats
Thank Kenny!!
      07-26-2014, 01:53 PM   #95
m4pewpew
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Yep. And to add some more information for all you guys out there there are three levels of extended warranty with BMW: Standard, Gold and Platinum. Of course I took platinum which means that my car is completely covered. The warranty I got is also 7 years or 70,000 miles, whichever comes first. The price for 7 years or 100,000 miles is a whopping 7.5k. That was a little much.

Hope this helps you guys that need to make this decision...
Very helpful information, thank you! You are way more helpful and informative than my salesperson :-)
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 01:54 PM   #96
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4pewpew
Quote:
Yep. And to add some more information for all you guys out there there are three levels of extended warranty with BMW: Standard, Gold and Platinum. Of course I took platinum which means that my car is completely covered. The warranty I got is also 7 years or 70,000 miles, whichever comes first. The price for 7 years or 100,000 miles is a whopping 7.5k. That was a little much.

Hope this helps you guys that need to make this decision...
Very helpful information, thank you! You are way more helpful and informative than my salesperson :-)
That's the whole point of this forum isn't it?
      07-26-2014, 03:41 PM   #97
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Step 2 - Break-in

Some more interesting things I have noticed about the car.

1) The trunk "swipe your foot under the bumper to open" feature doesn't always work, or at least I haven't figured out what I am doing wrong when it doesn't work. The first time I tried it the car was parked in my garage and I think it was unlocked, I'm not sure where the key was (maybe in it or in my pocket) and I swung my leg under the bumper a few times and the trunk opened. I thought, cool! Later in the morning I went to run an errand and on my way back from the store my hands were full with shopping bags and I thought "what a convenient time to use this feature" and I swung and swung and the trunk never opened. I wonder if I had to unlock the doors first? But that would defeat the whole "hands free" notion now wouldn't it!!

2) There's this tiny LED light that comes on in the analog spedometer that is sometimes red, sometimes green and I am at a loss as to what its purpose is!

3) Cruise control: It works great, is so precise and helps me keep the car to within a reasonable speed because let me tell you, it is VERY easy to speed in this thing and not notice. I love it.

4) So this afternoon I just took it on the highway for the first time. I took her on one of Austin's toll roads which is always deserted this time of day on weekends and I opened her up.. WOW!! from 80mph to 130 / 140 in like 8 seconds at most, and no shaking, vibration, the steering wheel is solid, the car is glued to the road. Sick. Actually not sick, SCARY. It's almost too much, you have to be VERY careful with this car how fast it is and how quickly it accelerates at ANY speed.

5) My buddy is the finance manager at Maserati here in Austin and he was telling me not to buy the M4 and to buy a Ghibli instead, that he would get me 10k off MSRP. Well I went to see him today and let him drive her and he was floored. Yes, a Maserati guy was floored, he said that he takes back what he said about the Ghibli lol!!! Love it! (No, I didn't let him rev her higher than 5,500 RPM)

Not much else so far, I'm having some issues with getting my phone to sync up to bluetooth and resume playing music when I get into the car but other than that all is well in M4-land boys and @Lups... keep checking in on the journal, more to come.
      07-26-2014, 04:06 PM   #98
LAnderson23
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Step 2 - Break-in

2) There's this tiny LED light that comes on in the analog spedometer that is sometimes red, sometimes green and I am at a loss as to what its purpose is!
That's for the cruise control. When it's green it means that's the speed you are cruising at. When it's red, cruise control is still on, but you are not actively using it. (i.e., you hit the brake) Red light indicates the speed you will RESUME cruise control at if you hit the RES button on the steering wheel.

When you turn cruise control off completely, the red or green light will turn off.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 04:07 PM   #99
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnderson23 View Post
That's for the cruise control. When it's green it means that's the speed you are cruising at. When it's red, cruise control is still on, but you are not actively using it. (i.e., you hit the brake) Red light indicates the speed you will RESUME cruise control at if you hit the RES button on the steering wheel.
      07-26-2014, 05:40 PM   #100
LAnderson23
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Glad to help!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 06:46 PM   #101
Reid
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white cars

Quote:
1) The trunk "swipe your foot under the bumper to open" feature doesn't always work, or at least I haven't figured out what I am doing wrong when it doesn't work. The first time I tried it the car was parked in my garage and I think it was unlocked, I'm not sure where the key was (maybe in it or in my pocket) and I swung my leg under the bumper a few times and the trunk opened. I thought, cool! Later in the morning I went to run an errand and on my way back from the store my hands were full with shopping bags and I thought "what a convenient time to use this feature" and I swung and swung and the trunk never opened. I wonder if I had to unlock the doors first? But that would defeat the whole "hands free" notion now wouldn't it!!
Try "kicking" underneath the center of the car like you're trying to free a ball that is stuck.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 06:58 PM   #102
SOM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: SO F80

Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 07:00 PM   #103
SOM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: SO F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid View Post
Try "kicking" underneath the center of the car like you're trying to free a ball that is stuck.
Exactly, kick your foot directly at BMW logo on the trunk (center position) straight in. It works every time.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 09:17 PM   #104
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid View Post
Exactly, kick your foot directly at BMW logo on the trunk (center position) straight in. It works every time.
Do you mean around the license plate or underneath the bumper?
      07-26-2014, 09:18 PM   #105
Reid
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white cars

Quote:
Under the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 09:35 PM   #106
Dinh335
Major
Rep
Drives: 2004 RX8/2015 M3/2017 X5 35i

Quote:
The snap/speed of the kick helps too...also take a step back so just your foot and ankle is under the car and quickly do a kick and snap your leg back. and wait a second...there's a delay,

I believe the sensor works by detecting a fast change in light ...had issues first as well but once you get it you'll be able to do it a lot easier.
      07-26-2014, 10:51 PM   #107
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspyrops
Step 2 - Break-in

Some more interesting things I have noticed about the car.

3) Cruise control: It works great, is so precise and helps me keep the car to within a reasonable speed because let me tell you, it is VERY easy to speed in this thing and not notice. I love it.

4) So this afternoon I just took it on the highway for the first time. I took her on one of Austin's toll roads which is always deserted this time of day on weekends and I opened her up.. WOW!! from 80mph to 130 / 140 in like 8 seconds at most, and no shaking, vibration, the steering wheel is solid, the car is glued to the road. Sick. Actually not sick, SCARY. It's almost too much, you have to be VERY careful with this car how fast it is and how quickly it accelerates at ANY speed.

5) My buddy is the finance manager at Maserati here in Austin and he was telling me not to buy the M4 and to buy a Ghibli instead, that he would get me 10k off MSRP. Well I went to see him today and let him drive her and he was floored. Yes, a Maserati guy was floored, he said that he takes back what he said about the Ghibli lol!!! Love it! (No, I didn't let him rev her higher than 5,500 RPM)

Not much else so far, I'm having some issues with getting my phone to sync up to bluetooth and resume playing music when I get into the car but other than that all is well in M4-land boys and @Lups... keep checking in on the journal, more to come.
Glad someone clued you in as to the cruise control light. Very handy!

Yes, your buddy the Maserati guy swooned over the M4.....because it is about 10 times the vehicle!!!!! That new Ghibli is really a total POS. Really, I've sat in Volkswagens that had better build quality. Nice engine though.

Congrats, the car looks awesome!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 08:51 AM   #108
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 YMB/SS ZCP

Found the pics.

Congrats! Hope to see you around next year.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 02:56 PM   #109
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Step 3 - Coding

So a banned member of the forum whose id shall not be named spent 2 hours on the phone with me this morning helping me code the car and make the changes that I was looking for in terms of what was actually available.

After we were done I took her out for a test drive and everything we coded worked like a charm. The only annoyance is that when the car is put into reverse, the rear camera stays on even after you start rolling so you have to manually click the button to stop it. It's just something to get used to, but the advantage of coding that option in is that you could watch the cars behind you in the rear view camera on the highway, watch them as they get smaller and smaller when you are blowing away from them heeheehee

Overall I'm very pleased with the coding options and I made quite a few changes.

PM me if you want to know the name and email of the guy that helped me, he does it for free.
      07-27-2014, 03:08 PM   #110
Zero4910
///Mmmm Good!
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

@sspyrops

I had AB as an option too until I saw it........
Attached Images

[ Black Metallic Sapphire | Black Ext. Merino Leather | 18" Silver-Light Alloy Wheels | 6 Spd Manual Transmission | Carbon Fiber Trim| Driver Assistance Plus / Executive | Adaptive M Suspension | Moonroof / Harman Kardon Surround ]
Appreciate 0