Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-16-2017, 03:07 PM   #441
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venere View Post
Yes, I've seen that post, but BMW's press materials are notoriously inaccurate, and it's just an artist rendering not an actual photo of the real thing.
Regardless of whether that's a rendering, the adaptive light in that picture is absolutely the very same light shown in the pictures in the OP and on the live car seen in Geneva. So we know for a fact that it is accurate. There's no reason to arbitrarily believe that the non-adaptive light is completely wrong simply because we cannot corroborate it against some other source. As noted by others, it also matches what we saw in spy shots.

Quote:
Why wouldn't the 3-series and 4-series get the same standard LED lights shown in post #417?
The 3-Series and 4-Series use completely different light clusters. Why? Because they are different products.

The adaptive headlights for the 3 Series and 4 Series are similar looking but not the same. The non-adaptive lights use completely different technologies. The 3 Series standard light is actually a halogen headlight. The 4 Series had a Xenon standard light before the LCI, but now has an LED standard light.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 03:59 PM   #442
Venere
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Regardless of whether that's a rendering, the adaptive light in that picture is absolutely the very same light shown in the pictures in the OP and on the live car seen in Geneva. So we know for a fact that it is accurate. There's no reason to arbitrarily believe that the non-adaptive light is completely wrong simply because we cannot corroborate it against some other source. As noted by others, it also matches what we saw in spy shots.

The 3-Series and 4-Series use completely different light clusters. Why? Because they are different products.

The adaptive headlights for the 3 Series and 4 Series are similar looking but not the same. The non-adaptive lights use completely different technologies. The 3 Series standard light is actually a halogen headlight. The 4 Series had a Xenon standard light before the LCI, but now has an LED standard light.
Good points, and just to be clear I am not arguing, just looking for info...so forgetting the halogen/Xenons that are no longer present on the LCI M3/M4 since they now come with standard LED lights, and assuming the M3/M4 are in fact different part numbers, etc., wouldn't one expect that the basic technology, architecture, and appearance of the new standard LED headlights on the M4 would be nearly identical to that shown in post #417 of an LCI 3-series? That other dealer info rendering looks like old Xenon tech/styling that BMW is moving away from on almost all new models. Just seems odd that they would continue with this on LCI M4/M3, no?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 05:31 PM   #443
YMB-M3-J2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB M3

Garage List
Quote:
Good points, and just to be clear I am not arguing, just looking for info...so forgetting the halogen/Xenons that are no longer present on the LCI M3/M4 since they now come with standard LED lights, and assuming the M3/M4 are in fact different part numbers, etc., wouldn't one expect that the basic technology, architecture, and appearance of the new standard LED headlights on the M4 would be nearly identical to that shown in post #417 of an LCI 3-series? That other dealer info rendering looks like old Xenon tech/styling that BMW is moving away from on almost all new models. Just seems odd that they would continue with this on LCI M4/M3, no?
that pic of the light in the BMW material certainly looks exactly like the Xenon i had on my F30, i have never seen a LED headlight from BMW be in projector form which is what that is a picture of, if they do that it will be a completely new direction contradictory to what they seem to be moving towards. I would imagine it wont be exactly the same as the 3 series I pics i posted but I'm sure it will be very close and would most likely feature the 4 "bars" in the middle of the headlights. We will see soon though as the 4's starting hit the lots.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 06:44 PM   #444
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMB_M4_j2 View Post
Quote:
that pic of the light in the BMW material certainly looks exactly like the Xenon i had on my F30, i have never seen a LED headlight from BMW be in projector form which is what that is a picture of, if they do that it will be a completely new direction contradictory to what they seem to be moving towards. I would imagine it wont be exactly the same as the 3 series I pics i posted but I'm sure it will be very close and would most likely feature the 4 "bars" in the middle of the headlights. We will see soon though as the 4's starting hit the lots.
X1, 1er LCI, 5er, 7er, i3, i8
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 10:14 PM   #445
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Good points, and just to be clear I am not arguing, just looking for info...
Right, I understand. However you are making incorrect assumptions and drawing inaccurate conclusion from them.

Quote:
so forgetting the halogen/Xenons that are no longer present on the LCI M3/M4 since they now come with standard LED lights,
The M3/M4 (and 4 Series) never had halogen lights. Only the 3 Series did.

Quote:
and assuming the M3/M4 are in fact different part numbers, etc.,
The M3 and M4 headlights definitely do not have different part numbers from one another. They, along with the 4 Series, absolutely do have different headlight part numbers from the 3 Series. This is documented fact.

Quote:
wouldn't one expect that the basic technology, architecture, and appearance of the new standard LED headlights on the M4 would be nearly identical to that shown in post #417 of an LCI 3-series?
No because that is the adaptive light. And The 4 Series (and M4/M3) adaptive counterpart *does* look similar to it.

Quote:
That other dealer info rendering looks like old Xenon tech/styling that BMW is moving away from on almost all new models. Just seems odd that they would continue with this on LCI M4/M3, no?
It does not seem odd to me. They want to make that optional adaptive light as attractive as possible when compared to the standard light so they can upsell as many buyers as possible. Hence, they reserve the new more futuristic look - the one they think looks best and think buyers will agree - for the higher end light cluster.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 11:27 AM   #446
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

so from my 2018 F83 M4 order, am I getting the new hexagonal bi LED headlights......? Just wanna make sure I am not getting the old round lights as the option number Adaptive LED headlights 552 is the same as the one I had on MY17 M4

Quote:
Model 4Z91 M4 Convertible
Color B68 Yas Marina Blue metallic
Upholstery X3DA Full leather Merino Sakhir Orange
Options 7MN M Competition package
2CQ+ 20" M Lt/Aly wheels Style 666, Black
2VF Adaptive M running gear
760 Individual high-gloss Satin Ch...
7M9 BMW Individual high-gloss Shad...
7MA Competition package
7S9 ConnectedDrive services package
6AK ConnectedDrive Services
6AM Real Time Traffic Information
6AN Concierge Services
6AP Remote Services
955 MO package II
2MK M double-clutch transmission w...
387 Wind deflector
3AG Backup camera
423 Floor mats, velours
428 Warning triangle
430 Interior and exterior mirrors ...
441 Smoker's package
493 Storage compartment package
4AE Armrest front movable
508 Park Distance Control(PDC)
552 Adaptive LED headlights
5DL Surround View
609 Navigation system Professional
610 Head-up display
6NW+ Telephony with wireless chargi...

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 12:28 PM   #447
Venere
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy Phoenix View Post
so from my 2018 F83 M4 order, am I getting the new hexagonal bi LED headlights......? Just wanna make sure I am not getting the old round lights as the option number Adaptive LED headlights 552 is the same as the one I had on MY17 M4
Those are the new style LED lights/DRLs. I didn't order that option (to keep the price down), hence my curiosity about what the new standard non-adaptive headlights/DRLs look like since there has never been a "standard" LED before on the M3/M4 range.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 12:34 PM   #448
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Those are the new style LED lights/DRLs. I didn't order that option (to keep the price down), hence my curiosity about what the new standard non-adaptive headlights/DRLs look like since there has never been a "standard" LED before on the M3/M4 range.
Ah I see, the hexagonal new headlights AKA Adaptive LED Headlights seem to have the same option code which is 552

Anyway, here is the standard Bi-LED Headlight image vs the Adaptive ones for you:

Appreciate 1
      03-17-2017, 12:46 PM   #449
Venere
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Ah I see, the hexagonal new headlights AKA Adaptive LED Headlights seem to have the same option code which is 552

Anyway, here is the standard Bi-LED Headlight image vs the Adaptive ones for you:

Thanks. I am hoping that picture isn't accurate, because they look EXACTLY like the old standard Xenons. I know I wasn't going to get the fancy new styling with the standard LEDs but I was hoping they were updated a little bit to look more "modern" than the Xenons. On the other hand, I really like the DRLs on the old style a lot, so I am probably happy either way. Will know for sure in a month when my car arrives. Nice to have a little mystery I guess.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 12:54 PM   #450
YMB-M3-J2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB M3

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks. I am hoping that picture isn't accurate, because they look EXACTLY like the old standard Xenons. I know I wasn't going to get the fancy new styling with the standard LEDs but I was hoping they were updated a little bit to look more "modern" than the Xenons. On the other hand, I really like the DRLs on the old style a lot, so I am probably happy either way. Will know for sure in a month when my car arrives. Nice to have a little mystery I guess.
Make sure you post up pics to settle this debate. I still think that advertising picture is wrong because as you said they look exactly like the Xenon lights from previous 3/4's
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 01:01 PM   #451
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Nope you're getting the ugly new headlights.
Appreciate 2
      03-17-2017, 01:08 PM   #452
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Nope you're getting the ugly new headlights.

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 01:54 PM   #453
Venere
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMB_M4_j2 View Post
Make sure you post up pics to settle this debate. I still think that advertising picture is wrong because as you said they look exactly like the Xenon lights from previous 3/4's
Will do.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 04:22 PM   #454
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
Hope all you want. The standard LED are the same as these...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 04:29 PM   #455
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Are you sure about this?

They look pretty good IMO, they more closely resemble the pre-LCI full LED. I doubt these will make their way. Those do not look like the ones on camo'ed mule nor the BMW Canada press documentation nor the European configurators...

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 03-17-2017 at 04:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 05:04 PM   #456
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Are you sure about this?

They look pretty good IMO, they more closely resemble the pre-LCI full LED. I doubt these will make their way. Those do not look like the ones on camo'ed mule nor the BMW Canada press documentation nor the European configurators...
Those look like the Adaptive LED Headlights - 552 I had on my 2017 M4:

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 05:13 PM   #457
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Are you sure about this?

100% certain.

Most of the EU has 552 as a forced option (shown as included in Package on the configurators).

This mule has the 5A2 Bi-LED (which replaces 522 Bi-Xenon).
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-17-2017, 07:44 PM   #458
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
100% certain.

Most of the EU has 552 as a forced option (shown as included in Package on the configurators).

Thing is, I don't find the bi-LED on the mule you posted look like the ones in your previous post.

To my eye, the corona ring on the mule (as the one in the BMW Canada bulletin) seem to be a "light tube" lit from the bottom just like the pre-LCI xenon. Whereas the ones in your previous post are back lit and tri-dimensional just like the pre-LCI full LED.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 08:22 PM   #459
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
100% certain.

Thing is, I don't find the bi-LED on the mule you posted look like the ones in your previous post.

To my eye, the corona ring on the mule (as the one in the BMW Canada bulletin) seem to be a "light tube" lit from the bottom just like the pre-LCI xenon. Whereas the ones in your previous post are back lit and tri-dimensional just like the pre-LCI full LED.
I was addressing the projector vs reflector confusion.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 03:32 PM   #460
dv8pdx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X///M

Garage List
2023 BMW X///M  [0.00]
So Im assuming based off pictures and builds the new bi-LED headlights will also be missing the eyebrow for an LED eyebrow turn signal. Will be interesting to see a new M3/M4 with pre-LCI looking headlights but no eyebrow. Personally i love the new adaptive LED's but its the white eyebrow that makes the front menacing looking. Maybe a future mode to make it white and then turn yellow for indicator.

Current: 2023 X///M Fire Orange
Past: 2021 X5///M Competition Fire Orange, 2018 X5 50i Fire Orange II, 2016 ///M4 Fire Orange w/ Black Full Merino, 2012 640i, 2011 335i, 2011 328i, 2006 750i, 2002 530i, 1991 525i
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2017, 10:19 AM   #461
Venere
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
So are u saying the standard LEDs are projector rather than reflector? Certainly looks like it in that photo. Also, did u notice that light actually says "adaptive" on it? The standard LEDs in the new 3-series just say "BMW LED" and are simplified projector design which is what I would expect to see on the M4 LCI. The ordering guide seems to only call the optional 552 adaptive, right?
Appreciate 1
JovanUK141.50
      03-19-2017, 10:39 AM   #462
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
So are u saying the standard LEDs are projector rather than reflector? Certainly looks like it in that photo. Also, did u notice that light actually says "adaptive" on it? The standard LEDs in the new 3-series just say "BMW LED" and are simplified projector design which is what I would expect to see on the M4 LCI. The ordering guide seems to only call the optional 552 adaptive, right?
Yes 5A2 use a projector design.

You also missed an earlier reply where I stated:

"There are 3 "4er LCI" LED Headlamp types:

5A2: Bi-LED

5A2 + 524: Adaptive LED with Extended Content

552: Full Adaptive LED, Icon Light."

Note the words FULL and ICON for 552.
Appreciate 0