European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

01-03-2022, 03:21 PM   #1
TarponTime
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Conv.

Help with Upgrades

Hey, I'm a first time BMW over as of a couple of months ago and interested in upgrading the firmware, idrive, etc. None of that appears to have been done since the factory. Not sure where to start, but i have purchased Bimmercode and adjusted several internal things within the car. Where do i need to start and how much can i do on my own? Went to BMW upgrades and it said i could download something, firmware i suppose, to a USB, but is that where i should start.

This is a '15 BMW M4
NBTevo_16202A
MB-101.052.004
TB-101.052.004

What else would be helpful to know? TT
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 04:47 PM   #2
kwatkins12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB 15 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarponTime View Post
Hey, I'm a first time BMW over as of a couple of months ago and interested in upgrading the firmware, idrive, etc. None of that appears to have been done since the factory. Not sure where to start, but i have purchased Bimmercode and adjusted several internal things within the car. Where do i need to start and how much can i do on my own? Went to BMW upgrades and it said i could download something, firmware i suppose, to a USB, but is that where i should start.

This is a '15 BMW M4
NBTevo_16202A
MB-101.052.004
TB-101.052.004

What else would be helpful to know? TT
Welcome! Updating the idrive is a great place to start and super easy. All you need is a clear usb flash drive. You download the update right from the BMW website for free, you then go into the settings of idrive and there is a software update. Stick the flash drive in the center console USB slot and select update.

Beyond that if you want to update the actual idrive to have CarPlay or other newer functions there are head unit and screen replacements available many places. If you just want to add CarPlay, a less expensive option is one of the pass through boxes(not the exact name, can't think of the technical term). These will give you CarPlay that you control through the idrive controller.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 08:02 AM   #3
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Do you plan to tune the car?
Updating the software to newest can lock that out.

I suggest you ping our guru kubax86 to ask his advice. He offers a remote update service to get you Apple CarPlay in full-screen (and Android screen mirror), and adding a software update is also available. His pricing is great, and his work is top quality. He doesn't break your warranty either, real OEM SW.