Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-17-2019, 01:36 PM   #1
braunthalf
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Bent Exhaust pipe

Someone rear ended me about 4 months ago and since then i have only put about 1000 miles on the car. It was a 40 MPH crash where i was standing still. My MPE was fully replaced due to it getting pushed. Unfortunately they did not replace my cats or downpipe without my knowledge. I have been hearing this rattle and i thought it was by transmission but when i brought it in i was told that i hit something on my exhaust. Turns out my cat pipe is bent to the point of touching the heat shield. My questions is has anyone bottomed out there car to the point that only hit the cat and bent it up. I feel that the down pipes were bent and possible be the reason it scraped the ground. i have included photos but and you can tell that the bend point is very pinched i would imagine from the 40 MPH accident.
Attached Images

04-17-2019, 02:03 PM   #2
MrSmartyPants
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 - 6MT_MW on SO

That kind of deformation in the exhaust would not come from scraping. It would only come from force being applied through the exhaust from the back end of the car.

I would bring it up with your insurance company. Hopefully you can get a supplement to cover it.