Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-21-2020, 07:45 PM   #1
boostedsgm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335I manual

Anyone have any experience with the ambient lighting strips (plastic strips) sold online to enhance the shitty ambient lighting our cars come with in the door handles?

I purchased a set, but apparently my car has some plastic piece covering the ambient light that wont allow the strips to be inserted?

Ambient LED Light Strips Covers for BMW 3 Series F30 / F31 / F80 - Interior Upgrade for Sharpened Lines https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SG65LWJ..._-CnKFbA1BG5TZ

Anyone have experienced this?

I have 17 M4 Comp

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 10:02 PM   #2
henrylee
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 6MT

I have them, they look alright. Kinda expensive for what it is but better than before
      10-21-2020, 10:04 PM   #3
boostedsgm
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrylee View Post
I have them, they look alright. Kinda expensive for what it is but better than before
Do you have a m4? I heard they work for m3 but havent found one fitting the m4.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 11:11 AM   #4
Brok3n
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedsgm View Post
Anyone have any experience with the ambient lighting strips (plastic strips) sold online to enhance the shitty ambient lighting our cars come with in the door handles?

I purchased a set, but apparently my car has some plastic piece covering the ambient light that wont allow the strips to be inserted?

Ambient LED Light Strips Covers for BMW 3 Series F30 / F31 / F80 - Interior Upgrade for Sharpened Lines https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SG65LWJ..._-CnKFbA1BG5TZ

I have 17 M4 Comp

Thanks in advance.
I believe the link you sent doesn't include F82 M4, it says for BMW 3 series. Maybe that's why?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 11:14 AM   #5
boostedsgm
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brok3n View Post
Quote:

I have 17 M4 Comp

Thanks in advance.
I believe the link you sent doesn't include F82 M4, it says for BMW 3 series. Maybe that's why?
Link was just an example but i purchased from ebay for the m4. But for some reason my cars ambient light has a plastic strip in front of the lights. Was wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 12:40 PM   #6
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
I have them. You just jam them in between the trim that houses your current ambient light, and the door material. It's a pressure fit. The factory plastic strip that's on there stays on there.

They look okay, not nearly as bright as the 5 series lights:
M3 CS Interior Ambient Light by JMG, on Flickr

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 01:02 PM   #7
boostedsgm
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I have them. You just jam them in between the trim that houses your current ambient light, and the door material. It's a pressure fit. The factory plastic strip that's on there stays on there.

Mine has this strip in it. Is yours like this?[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 01:12 PM   #8
bmwmdistrict
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:

That actually looks real good!
Previous: 2016 F82 ///M4 Black Sapphire Metallic | My Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 01:22 PM   #9
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Mine has this strip in it. Is yours like this?[IMG][/IMG]
Yes. The long L of the lighting strip jams up between the factory strip and the leather. Takes seconds to install.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 01:35 PM   #10
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsm.m4 View Post
That actually looks real good!
It's dark and I have a nice camera. It doesn't look that bright in person.

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 01:47 PM   #11
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ///M4 COMPETITION

Quote:

I have 17 M4 Comp

Thanks in advance.
I bought some a little while ago from ambient mods or something on ebay I believe for my M4 (fits all 4 series I believe), got a shitty phone photo if you'd like a look

Improves and "modernize" the look a lot IMO and you basically just push the thing on the existing lights as its locked in place between the trim.
Taken it for a good side road run and they're still sitting the same
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 05:51 PM   #12
boostedsgm
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecnniqe View Post
Quote:

I have 17 M4 Comp

Thanks in advance.
I bought some a little while ago from ambient mods or something on ebay I believe for my M4 (fits all 4 series I believe), got a shitty phone photo if you'd like a look

Improves and "modernize" the look a lot IMO and you basically just push the thing on the existing lights as its locked in place between the trim.
Do you remember which seller you got them from? The ones i got from ebay are flexible and i tried jamming them in but no luck
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 06:18 PM   #13
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have 17 M4 Comp

Thanks in advance.

Do you remember which seller you got them from? The ones i got from ebay are flexible and i tried jamming them in but no luck
Mine are flexible. They fit in just fine. You have to press down on the door leather to create a small gap between it and the factory light strip.

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 06:25 PM   #14
boostedsgm
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have 17 M4 Comp

Thanks in advance.

Mine are flexible. They fit in just fine. You have to press down on the door leather to create a small gap between it and the factory light strip.
This part?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 06:26 PM   #15
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have 17 M4 Comp

Thanks in advance.

This part?
Yes

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 06:28 PM   #16
boostedsgm
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have 17 M4 Comp

Thanks in advance.

This part?
Yes
Il try again thanks. Did you use a tool?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 06:29 PM   #17
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have 17 M4 Comp

Thanks in advance.

This part?
Yes
Il try again thanks. Did you use a tool?
Just my hands.

Appreciate 1
      10-22-2020, 06:45 PM   #18
karlskry
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 Silverstone/Sakhir

I got them after getting a new 530 as a loaner and noticing the ambient lighting. They do a good job, especially if you code in 100% brightness on bimmercode.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 06:45 PM   #19
boostedsgm
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlskry View Post
I got them after getting a new 530 as a loaner and noticing the ambient lighting. They do a good job, especially if you code in 100% brightness on bimmercode.
Ive heard about bimmercode. Do you change settings by phone or u gotta use a computer?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 11:51 PM   #20
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlskry View Post
LOL exactly what happened to me. 530e loaner.

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 12:12 AM   #21
JagR2611
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80

Quote:

I have 17 M4 Comp

Thanks in advance.
I installed them and in my opinion, the lighting "look" improved. I ordered them via Amazon and had no issues.
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2020, 08:53 AM   #22
boostedsgm
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagR2611 View Post
Quote:

I have 17 M4 Comp

Thanks in advance.
I installed them and in my opinion, the lighting "look" improved. I ordered them via Amazon and had no issues.
Im gonna attempt the bimmer code option see if it makes a difference. I ordered a obd2 adapter. I like that you can also adjust the brightness of the halos and deactivate the seatbelt chime along with many other things.
Appreciate 0