European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

09-11-2020, 11:53 AM   #1
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

I've been dailying the car more the last two weeks and drive locally on auto/sport plus throttle and shift setting on S1. I feel like I'm this setting I get more around town power at low revs. S2 will just rev higher but doesn't seem to give much torque under 2.5k rpms while S1 gives it to you in this range.

Anyway, there have been a few instances when I'm merging or need to accelerate and my car really just doesn't like to downshift even though I'm mashing the accelerator. I've been surprised a few times when I just didn't have power and literally had to press the pedal to the floor for it to downshift. even then it only downshifted one gear.

Is this something the car has learned from my driving habits? Will resetting the adaption help?
And if so, is the procedure to press the gas pedal down to the floor for 25 seconds in accessory mode?

On a side note, does anyone feel like the dct is slow to downshift even in manual mode? The up shifts are instant but any downshift feels slower than a traditional auto.

Thanks
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2020, 04:24 PM   #2
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by White340 View Post
I've been dailying the car more the last two weeks and drive locally on auto/sport plus throttle and shift setting on S1. I feel like I'm this setting I get more around town power at low revs. S2 will just rev higher but doesn't seem to give much torque under 2.5k rpms while S1 gives it to you in this range.

Anyway, there have been a few instances when I'm merging or need to accelerate and my car really just doesn't like to downshift even though I'm mashing the accelerator. I've been surprised a few times when I just didn't have power and literally had to press the pedal to the floor for it to downshift. even then it only downshifted one gear.

Is this something the car has learned from my driving habits? Will resetting the adaption help?
And if so, is the procedure to press the gas pedal down to the floor for 25 seconds in accessory mode?

On a side note, does anyone feel like the dct is slow to downshift even in manual mode? The up shifts are instant but any downshift feels slower than a traditional auto.

Thanks
To be honest i rarely ever drive in auto but when i do the car has no issue downshifting at WOT. Where it gets confused is when you are in that halfway area, it gets confused at like half peddle, until i give it more gas then it decides to downshift.

This is in S1 tho S1 is reluctant to downshift, S3 will hold revs to redline and will also downshift super fast.

Try it out or just manually shift
Appreciate 1
White3401392.00
      09-11-2020, 04:32 PM   #3
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
S1 is smooth, except from weird down shift gimmicks like from 3-2. Great for fuel economy.

S2 is faster which I usually drive in and holds the shift a little longer. Good balance between fuel economy and sporty shifting.

S3 is like....drive like a douche on the road kind of thing/Race Mode. You're holding revs and the car is like ready to go. It smashes gears quite nicely though.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 1
PhatLyfe985.00
      09-11-2020, 04:49 PM   #4
NSX2M4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP- RIVIAN R1S QUAD

I just picked up my car from a 15k mile service today. Aside from new rubbers all around, I had them look at the DCT transmission because it was always sluggish and never smooth. Basically, all the same issues you described. I always used to just drive in efficient or sport.
The tech claimed he found the gearing set from factory in a less aggressive mode when in sport and so far the drive home it's way smoother and less sluggish. The tech said that being set like that, it would drop a gear up prior to dropping it low. Will need more seat time though. Might be worth a check up from the dealer because I have no idea how it ever got programmed wrong.

Last edited by NSX2M4; 09-11-2020 at 04:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 02:59 AM   #5
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX2M4 View Post
I just picked up my car from a 15k mile service today. Aside from new rubbers all around, I had them look at the DCT transmission because it was always sluggish and never smooth. Basically, all the same issues you described. I always used to just drive in efficient or sport.
The tech claimed he found the gearing set from factory in a less aggressive mode when in sport and so far the drive home it's way smoother and less sluggish. The tech said that being set like that, it would drop a gear up prior to dropping it low. Will need more seat time though. Might be worth a check up from the dealer because I have no idea how it ever got programmed wrong.
That would be in the transmission software. He likely updated your car's software, I don't think the DCT has any settings than can be changed via coding. But it's tuning does noticeably change in the software updates.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 06:06 AM   #6
NSX2M4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmatth View Post
That would be in the transmission software. He likely updated your car's software, I don't think the DCT has any settings than can be changed via coding. But it's tuning does noticeably change in the software updates.
That's what I am thinking. The down shift from 2-1 it no longer hops and lurches.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 11:03 AM   #7
Dawg1998
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4 F83 COMP

Quote:
That's what I am thinking. The down shift from 2-1 it no longer hops and lurches.
Down shifts to 2nd are jerky when the computer makes the decision - it’s wonderful when I’m instigating it manually. I’ve heard of some users having success smoothing it out with the GTS code. The problem is that it’s still under warranty so I’m a little nervous about doing those changes on my own...has anyone’s dealership installed the GTS code for them?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 11:18 AM   #8
NoSuchSol
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 G80 Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg1998 View Post
Down shifts to 2nd are jerky when the computer makes the decision - it’s wonderful when I’m instigating it manually. I’ve heard of some users having success smoothing it out with the GTS code. The problem is that it’s still under warranty so I’m a little nervous about doing those changes on my own...has anyone’s dealership installed the GTS code for them?
Dealership has told me it's normal and I'm thinking it is, but I do want to look into the CS or GTS coding as well.

How is everyone with driveline noise? The dealership told me that gear whine is normal. It's definitely not as noisy as a GTR.
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2020, 02:16 PM   #9
NSX2M4
Major
Rep

Update: Whatever the dealership did yesterday completely changed how the car drives and feels. So much better. I guess they did a software update, but I can't really confirm. Just going off tech notes on the work order. It said he changed settings for gearing.
But all day today I never get the jerks, the hops, or the "throw you forwards downshifts."
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2020, 02:19 PM   #10
Jason60051
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:

Thanks
If you don't mind me asking out of curiosity what year is your m and does it have the competition package?
      09-12-2020, 04:24 PM   #11
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason60051 View Post
Quote:

Thanks
If you don't mind me asking out of curiosity what year is your m and does it have the competition package?
2018 with an August 2018 build date with the comp package. I have 13k on the car.
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2020, 07:43 PM   #12
Jason60051
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason60051 View Post
Quote:

Thanks
2018 with an August 2018 build date with the comp package. I have 13k on the car.
Too weird...mine was also built in August of 2018 with comp package. I am having the same issues as you describe them. Guess I'll have to bring it into the dealer.
      09-13-2020, 10:35 AM   #13
NoSuchSol
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Update: Whatever the dealership did yesterday completely changed how the car drives and feels. So much better. I guess they did a software update, but I can't really confirm. Just going off tech notes on the work order. It said he changed settings for gearing.
But all day today I never get the jerks, the hops, or the "throw you forwards downshifts."
If you don't mind updating after a few days of driving? I'm not going to be taking mine back to the dealership since it appears all that is normal for this car, and my dealership has done a transmission update prior....

I'm more inclined to get the CS or GTS tune kit and do it myself at this point.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 01:51 PM   #14
NSX2M4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSuchSol View Post
If you don't mind updating after a few days of driving? I'm not going to be taking mine back to the dealership since it appears all that is normal for this car, and my dealership has done a transmission update prior....

I'm more inclined to get the CS or GTS tune kit and do it myself at this point.
Will do. I was wanting to do the cs/gts flash too. I might have to try to find out exactly what they did because it drives GREAT now! All today, same thing. No hops and shudders in sport plus.
One thing I will say, my service adviser and a bunch of the techs at FTL BMW service center all have F8X'S so I'm sure that really helps. I'd NEVER buy a car there cuz the salesmen are true dicks. But the service department is awesome. Last time, had them do oem windshield and insurance fit the entire 2600 dollar bill. Didn't cost me a cent.
Appreciate 3
NoSuchSol166.50
doug_9992541.50
      09-15-2020, 04:32 PM   #15
NSX2M4
Major
Rep

Update: Car drives amazing now. I never used to use sport plus much but now its all the time. Confirmed with technician, he changed the adaptations to the transmission. He did not flash any type of update to the transmission.
Info on how to reset posted here.https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1625640

Last edited by NSX2M4; 09-15-2020 at 04:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 06:41 PM   #16
NoSuchSol
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'll try that out - I asked if it could be reset and they told me it didn't have to.

Is the software for the transmission separate from the transmission itself? I would assume so...
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 01:16 AM   #17
andrei.m4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw f82

F8x dct can be reseted via ista program with laptop but stop resetting adaptations, gearbox will be same after a few hard push. It adapt to a basic values for a few time but it will be readapted after few hard push. This is tested on my own m4. I know what you mean, car is smooth after readapt.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 08:28 PM   #18
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrei.m4 View Post
F8x dct can be reseted via ista program with laptop but stop resetting adaptations, gearbox will be same after a few hard push. It adapt to a basic values for a few time but it will be readapted after few hard push. This is tested on my own m4. I know what you mean, car is smooth after readapt.
What does this mean?

I find the car literally adapts on the fly, drive it like a school teacher and it starts being sluggish, shifting lazy, throttle sensitivity becomes lower.

Then 10 minutes later do some hard pulls, some redline shifts, chirp the tires. Then the tranny gets smooth and aggressive, throttle is super sensitive.
Appreciate 0