EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

10-01-2020, 05:57 AM   #1
Aado
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 Competition

AA Equal Mid Pipe-non resonated

Anyone here in Australia purchased and fitted the new AA Non Resonated Equal length mid pipe to their F82 ?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 05:56 AM   #2
Aado
Australia
Rep

Interesting isn't it, after so much hype that there are none in Oz. However the original AA mid seemed to be very popular and a great product.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 10:22 AM   #3
Vertix
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 CP Black

I've got a resonated EL AA pipe on the way. Got the original AA midpipe atm, gonna do a back to back and keep whatever I prefer.

Will post some info here once done. Its not due to be produced until oct, likely not here till Nov
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 12:16 AM   #4
rokkuchan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertix View Post
I've got a resonated EL AA pipe on the way. Got the original AA midpipe atm, gonna do a back to back and keep whatever I prefer.

Will post some info here once done. Its not due to be produced until oct, likely not here till Nov
PM me if u wanna sell ur mid pipes once ur el arrives.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 12:21 AM   #5
rokkuchan
Private First Class
Rep

Do u have AA do as well?

I got AA dp, how would they sound with the mid pipes with stock non zcp exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 10:37 AM   #6
Vertix
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokkuchan View Post
Sure. Will be atleast a month or so until I have my hands on it id say.

Atm running VRSF catless DP, AA single mid + stock zcp muffler

Next trying VRSF catless, resonated AA EL + stock zcp muffler (will probaly look to change muffler in future).

Definitely not worth the upgrade if you already have AA single id say. Im just bored and wanna see the difference for myself vs videos online (which normally dont do any car exhaust sound justice really)
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 12:29 PM   #7
rokkuchan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokkuchan View Post
Sure. Will be atleast a month or so until I have my hands on it id say.

Atm running VRSF catless DP, AA single mid + stock zcp muffler

Next trying VRSF catless, resonated AA EL + stock zcp muffler (will probaly look to change muffler in future).

Definitely not worth the upgrade if you already have AA single id say. Im just bored and wanna see the difference for myself vs videos online (which normally dont do any car exhaust sound justice really)
Sorry realise I had a typo lol.

I mean AA DP not 'do'.

Yeah I been thinking just having a AA mid single to match my AA dp. Muffler I've nailed it down to Remus, Dinan or AWE. But won't be awhile.

I don't mind waiting. cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 12:43 PM   #8
YKIGI
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Quadrifoglio

The reason why there aren’t many people jumpin on here raving is because they don’t want everyone else goin out and ordering one. Believe me the EL revolutionizes the car with a correct setup of DP and Rear.

The single is not even close to this product.
The single has rasp, uneven tones, and a truck sound. If you like that, then go ahead.

If you like a sophisticated, smooth, professionally tuned sound. Go EL

Non res is definitely better for stock DPs btw fwiw

E46 wagon ~ E46 330ci ZHP ~E46 M3 Sold ~ E92 335i Sold ~ E90 M3 Sold ~ F82 M4 Sold <- All Manuals

Last edited by YKIGI; 10-03-2020 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 03:23 PM   #9
YKIGI
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunner///M View Post
lol, single doesn't have rasp. it's a deep note. I have spoken AA a bit about the EL vs single and if anything the EL has more rasp.

Basically EL is less deep and sounds more like NA IL6, but rasp.

All sound is subjective though , so opinions will always differ.

I’ve heard all the setups extensively. The single was nice like 2 years ago when that was the only decent pipe. Now it’s only half as good as EL.

EL is only raspy when setup incorrectly res vs non res on catless vs catted DPs. IF done right there is ZERO rasp.

Single definitely sounds like a truck, I’ve heard them for years now.

And please nobody come on here teaching me how there’s always the presence of rasp and it’s the absence of blah blah. I’m not a sound engineer. I’m just talking about the weed wacker sound that can be heard by a human ear lol

E46 wagon ~ E46 330ci ZHP ~E46 M3 Sold ~ E92 335i Sold ~ E90 M3 Sold ~ F82 M4 Sold <- All Manuals

Last edited by YKIGI; 10-03-2020 at 03:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 05:24 AM   #10
Vertix
Private
Rep

Part of the reason im buying both is due to silly internet debates back and forth. Best way to find out seems to always be to just do it yourself and see.

Once I went catless, the single AA midpipe absolutely has rasp (no surprise here.. went in expecting it).

Going catless is gonna make rasp an issue regardless of exhaust setup, whether MPE, single AA or EL unless you add resonators to assist with cancelling out the frequency. Hoping the AA equal length resonators are a good solution here but wouldnt be surpised if I need to add bigger/different resonators.

As for n54/55 to S55, the aweful sound is created in a few obvious areas. The different size bore and stroke will obviously impact tone, but more importantly is how the S55 handles the exhaust side from the valves upto (and including) the turbos. Like the twin turbo n54, there is one exhaust manifold per 3 cylinders feeding into 1 turbo, however unlike the n54, with the s55 they have intergrated the turbine housing of the exhaust with the exhaust manifold. unlike the n54's pneumatic wastegates, the s55 uses electronic wastegates intergrated into the manifold. This gives them alot of advantages for boost control, emissions, economy but more importantly high closing force to help with boost pressure build up.

The S55s "anti lag" strategy uses these EWG, in combination with the firing order vanos/valvetronic system to keep constant pulses of air and exhaust flowing into each turbo even when off throttle (mainly in sports+ mode). End result of this is absolute shit sound of 2 3 cylinder engines farting at each other, but a decent way of handling boost/lag as well as emissions/economy. Its also part of what causes the "brraaaap" sound when lifting the throttle.

Whats also surpising is the layout of intergrating the manifolds with the turbine housing has made the twin turbos of the s55 weigh almost the same as the single turbo of the n55 (14.1kg vs 14.2kg of the s55).

All these exhaust/equal length setups are a bandaid trying to solve the issue AFTER where the problem is caused. Chuck all this shit out and throw on a single turbo with a conventional wastegate setup and it'll sound alot more familiar to your usual inline turbo 6 engines.

Not expecting the AA EL to be a god send, its kinda annoying all the hype comments on the treads about them being all OMG BEST SOUNDING, PROBLEM SOLVED!@!@! Rather burn some money and just see for myself if its any good or not and go from there. More than happy to be the ginea pig for others to come see it in person (videos suck). May as well waste my money than yours
Appreciate 3
      10-04-2020, 05:50 AM   #11
Vertix
Private
Rep

Quote:

You know a lot more than I do re S55. Let us know how you go. Maybe I'll be converted from AA S -> AA EL.

I just feel that it is being marketed as making out the S55 is going to sound like an E46 M3 CSL, which it will not.

The S58 sound?
100%. Dunno if its more marketing, or just forum people going crazy to blame lol. Regardless, does quickly feel like its quite overhyped. The biggest disappointment for me is how the big brands whether its BMW with the MPE or Akra will charge such stupid prices for quite poor outcomes, and yet alot of the solutions are more commonly found by some bored fabricator in his garage. So much more extensive R&D/testing!

Always hate the comparisons saying X engine sounds like Y, should just more be a focus on making each one sound the best it can in its own unique way. 2jz and an RB both sound great and have nice unique differences to each one that makes em both epic in their own right.

Havnt spent much time looking into or hearing s58 exhaust layout just yet. Looks to be very similar to s55 exhaust wise, however it also has new sound regulations (as well as emissions/economy regulations and targets). It has GPF filters which will impact it quite negatively, as well as the new bosch ECUs which is gonna make aftermarket solutions quite a pain. Probably be a little longer than usual until theres some good solutions for the s58, but im sure the aftermarket learnings of the s55 will carry over.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 06:49 PM   #12
YKIGI
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
As I said, sound is subjective. Sounds as if you been sucked in with EL marketing.

The EL logic doesnt stack up any how. My 1M coupe was N54twin turbo and didn't sound like the S55.. why did the N54 sound ok and not the S55?... have a think about it, nothing to do with EL pipes. Not saying the AA EL doesnt sound good, just saying the AA single also does.
You tell me bro

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 07:12 PM   #13
bmwmdistrict
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by YKIGI View Post
Quote:
As I said, sound is subjective. Sounds as if you been sucked in with EL marketing.

The EL logic doesnt stack up any how. My 1M coupe was N54twin turbo and didn't sound like the S55.. why did the N54 sound ok and not the S55?... have a think about it, nothing to do with EL pipes. Not saying the AA EL doesnt sound good, just saying the AA single also does.
You tell me bro

Honestly I think both exhaust setups in that video sound atrocious. The popcorn burbles aren't doing any favors either. It sounds like a ricer Honda.
Previous: 2016 F82 ///M4 Black Sapphire Metallic | My Build Thread
Appreciate 2
Vertix29.50
mgm.m419.50
      10-10-2020, 07:14 PM   #14
YKIGI
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsm.m4 View Post
Honestly I think both exhaust setups in that video sound atrocious. The popcorn burbles aren't doing any favors either. It sounds like a ricer Honda.
That wasn’t the point. He’s got a super aggressive setup. The point was the EL makes his setup sound better than the single.

The EL makes most traditional single AA MP setups better. Period

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 07:38 PM   #15
espressoo
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 Comp|'23 X5 45e|'24 X7

Quote:

Can’t wait to hear the comparison. How much do these go for down under?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 10:05 AM   #16
Vertix
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by espressoo View Post
Can’t wait to hear the comparison. How much do these go for down under?
Ive just ordered it direct from AA, and am shipping via MYUS.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 06:10 AM   #17
Aado
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Part of the reason im buying both is due to silly internet debates back and forth. Best way to find out seems to always be to just do it yourself and see.

Once I went catless, the single AA midpipe absolutely has rasp (no surprise here.. went in expecting it).

Going catless is gonna make rasp an issue regardless of exhaust setup, whether MPE, single AA or EL unless you add resonators to assist with cancelling out the frequency. Hoping the AA equal length resonators are a good solution here but wouldnt be surpised if I need to add bigger/different resonators.

As for n54/55 to S55, the aweful sound is created in a few obvious areas. The different size bore and stroke will obviously impact tone, but more importantly is how the S55 handles the exhaust side from the valves upto (and including) the turbos. Like the twin turbo n54, there is one exhaust manifold per 3 cylinders feeding into 1 turbo, however unlike the n54, with the s55 they have intergrated the turbine housing of the exhaust with the exhaust manifold. unlike the n54's pneumatic wastegates, the s55 uses electronic wastegates intergrated into the manifold. This gives them alot of advantages for boost control, emissions, economy but more importantly high closing force to help with boost pressure build up.

The S55s "anti lag" strategy uses these EWG, in combination with the firing order vanos/valvetronic system to keep constant pulses of air and exhaust flowing into each turbo even when off throttle (mainly in sports+ mode). End result of this is absolute shit sound of 2 3 cylinder engines farting at each other, but a decent way of handling boost/lag as well as emissions/economy. Its also part of what causes the "brraaaap" sound when lifting the throttle.

Whats also surpising is the layout of intergrating the manifolds with the turbine housing has made the twin turbos of the s55 weigh almost the same as the single turbo of the n55 (14.1kg vs 14.2kg of the s55).

All these exhaust/equal length setups are a bandaid trying to solve the issue AFTER where the problem is caused. Chuck all this shit out and throw on a single turbo with a conventional wastegate setup and it'll sound alot more familiar to your usual inline turbo 6 engines.

Not expecting the AA EL to be a god send, its kinda annoying all the hype comments on the treads about them being all OMG BEST SOUNDING, PROBLEM SOLVED!@!@! Rather burn some money and just see for myself if its any good or not and go from there. More than happy to be the ginea pig for others to come see it in person (videos suck). May as well waste my money than yours
Good on you Vertix for taking on the challenge of testing between the Single AA and EL AA, I'm sure its not only myself looking forward to your comparison.
Appreciate 1
Vertix29.50
      10-12-2020, 04:02 PM   #18
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Quote:
Ive just ordered it direct from AA, and am shipping via MYUS.
Out of curiosity what was the freight forwarder cost?
      10-12-2020, 07:04 PM   #19
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS & Ferrari Roma

Garage List
I am also eyeing the AA Equal Length midpipe for the M2C when it's ready for purchase.
We could potentially have it freighted together for those of us that are in Sydney that want to buy their mid pipe.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 07:07 PM   #20
///M-pressed
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F82 M4

Quote:
You tell me bro

Less rasp but the tone doesn't actually sound any better. All the videos I've heard of the equal length exhaust, none of them actually sound that great. Seems like a lot of fanboy hype to me.
F82 M4 | 6-speed manual | PP performance Stage 2 tune | Re-valved Bilstein B16s | VRSF midpipe | OEM CS front splitter | OEM GTS hood | OEM M-performance rear diffuser| Evolve tuning catless downpipes | 310rwkw (415rwhp)
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 07:33 PM   #21
YKIGI
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-pressed View Post
Less rasp but the tone doesn't actually sound any better. All the videos I've heard of the equal length exhaust, none of them actually sound that great. Seems like a lot of fanboy hype to me.
That car has an aggressive burble tune and catless downpipes. That’s not an ideal setup for EL.

EL. Sounds best with stock downpipes and non res EL and a tamed rear section like AA 3 can or Dinan.

Either way. Even with this more aggressive setup I believe the EL sounds better than the single.

Not to mention if you do your homework you’ll see most of the AA single setups that switched to EL with nothing else changing now sound better.

The ZCP 6 speed with stock downpipes, non res EL, and 3 can rear is the best sounding F8x I’ve heard.

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 07:57 PM   #22
Andrae26
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir M4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-pressed View Post
That car has an aggressive burble tune and catless downpipes. That's not an ideal setup for EL.

EL. Sounds best with stock downpipes and non res EL and a tamed rear section like AA 3 can or Dinan.

Either way. Even with this more aggressive setup I believe the EL sounds better than the single.

Not to mention if you do your homework you'll see most of the AA single setups that switched to EL with nothing else changing now sound better.

The ZCP 6 speed with stock downpipes, non res EL, and 3 can rear is the best sounding F8x I've heard.
You can absolutely hear the difference. Some people just have bad hearing lol
Appreciate 2
YKIGI248.00
Ghosn463.50