Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

04-16-2021, 01:08 PM   #1
///Mvy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15M3 + 08GT3

CG Lock Alternatives?

It's been a while since I have taken cars to the track but I used to love my CG Lock. Basically it was a cam cleat that attached to the seat belt buckle and allowed you to synch the lower portion of the belt tight to keep you from moving in your seat. Unfortunately, it seems they've gone out of business and I've lost track of mine.

I haven't been able to find any alternatives. Anybody use anything similar?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 06:44 PM   #2
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mvy View Post
It's been a while since I have taken cars to the track but I used to love my CG Lock. Basically it was a cam cleat that attached to the seat belt buckle and allowed you to synch the lower portion of the belt tight to keep you from moving in your seat. Unfortunately, it seems they've gone out of business and I've lost track of mine.

I haven't been able to find any alternatives. Anybody use anything similar?
I searched and couldn't find anything either
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 07:56 PM   #3
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

If you're willing to pay a hefty markup, it looks like they're still available here:

https://www.waymotorworks.com/cg-lock.html
Appreciate 1
///Mvy43.50
      04-16-2021, 08:16 PM   #4
USSEnterprise
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 CS

Our guy Farkle did a video of alternatives available:
Appreciate 2
///Mvy43.50
FaRKle!3994.50
      04-16-2021, 09:24 PM   #5
///Mvy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
Great video!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 10:29 PM   #6
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the mention!

Unfortunately I haven't found an alternative, that said it may be possible to modify one of the pieces I tested by putting some higher friction material in its clamping mechanism (like maybe bicycle innertube?). I just haven't gotten around to trying that.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.

Last edited by FaRKle!; 04-17-2021 at 05:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
///Mvy43.50
      04-17-2021, 07:41 AM   #7
USSEnterprise
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Thanks for the mention!

Unfortunately I haven't found an alternative, that said it may be possible to modify one of the pieces I tested by putting some higher friction material in it's clamping mechanism (like maybe bicycle innertube?). I just haven't gotten around to trying that.
Your excellent videos always cost me money FaRKle!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 11:16 PM   #8
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Unfortunately I haven't found an alternative, that said it may be possible to modify one of the pieces I tested by putting some higher friction material in its clamping mechanism (like maybe bicycle innertube?). I just haven't gotten around to trying that.
OK, I did some C&F testing with the "seat belt extender pros" device today and lined it with some rubber to give it better grab. Seems promising...

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 06:28 AM   #9
///Mvy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
OK, I did some C&F testing with the "seat belt extender pros" device today and lined it with some rubber to give it better grab. Seems promising...
I bought a few of the types that you tested as well for experimenting. Rubber is a great idea. I'm trying to think if there's some material that allows you to slide freely one direction but then bites in the other.

I've never tried or seen climbing skins for skis in person. But I've seen skiers able to 'walk' their skis up the hill in one direction and then glide on flats or downs. I wonder if this could be worth testing https://skimo.co/skin-rolls
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 08:56 AM   #10
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I bought a few of the types that you tested as well for experimenting. Rubber is a great idea. I'm trying to think if there's some material that allows you to slide freely one direction but then bites in the other.

I've never tried or seen climbing skins for skis in person. But I've seen skiers able to 'walk' their skis up the hill in one direction and then glide on flats or downs. I wonder if this could be worth testing https://skimo.co/skin-rolls
Skins will not work as they won't grip a belt. It's a plush nylon or mohair that provides the grip.

I have a CG if folks are foraging. Pm if interested.
      04-18-2021, 03:40 PM   #11
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

One alternative is to quickly jerk the shoulder belt to trigger the tensioner lock, then adjust the seat bottom forward so both the lap and shoulder belts are tight. I've experimented with this technique but never used it on the track. I cannot comment on the head and neck safety in a collision. Try this at your own risk.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2021, 08:15 PM   #12
biofluke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Competition

I've played with the idea of using something similar to this rubber in between me and my leather seat. Would be cool if some sort of adhesive could stick to the leather, and then make you slide around less in the seat. I'm guessing it would probably damage the leather if it was strong enough to actually stay in place though.

The CG lock will help, but the biggest problem for me is sliding around on the leather seats. Alcantara would have been such a better material for the seat centers... even my B8 Audi S4 had that.

I got lucky and have a CG lock that a friend gave me that he was no longer using (went cage and harness). I hate to say it, buts worth the 129 they are charging on that website. It's annoying that they mark it up, but trust me, it's worth it.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 12:19 PM   #13
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 - 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_SheerDrivingPleasure View Post
One alternative is to quickly jerk the shoulder belt to trigger the tensioner lock, then adjust the seat bottom forward so both the lap and shoulder belts are tight. I've experimented with this technique but never used it on the track. I cannot comment on the head and neck safety in a collision. Try this at your own risk.
I have used this at the track, and it does hold the body pretty well.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 03:08 PM   #14
USSEnterprise
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I ordered a cg-lock from way motor works and they charged my card. We'll see if it actually ships and I will post an update on how it works on track. I have never heard of such a device till this thread so OP, you owe me $130 lol
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 08:42 PM   #15
Jamongkad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 F87

Quote:
I ordered a cg-lock from way motor works and they charged my card. We'll see if it actually ships and I will post an update on how it works on track. I have never heard of such a device till this thread so OP, you owe me $130 lol
Let us know how it goes! I'm interested as well. I noticed I kept sliding around my seat despite having the bolsters set at max.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 06:32 AM   #16
jfritz27
Major
Rep

I have one, it definitely helps. But my issue is I have a small frame and am thin, so despite the lock and max bolsters I still tend to shimmy/slide around a bit. And for some reason, I can't get the shoulder belt locking trick to work consistently. I managed to do it once, and along with the CG lock that was pretty nice.

Someone above mentioned about putting something on the seat -- it just occurred to me that either the stuff that you put down between an area rug and hardwood floor might work, or that squishy kind of pad-like shelf-liner. First track day at TBolt on Monday, will see what I have around the house and maybe try that out.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 08:18 AM   #17
///Mvy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfritz27 View Post
I have one, it definitely helps. But my issue is I have a small frame and am thin, so despite the lock and max bolsters I still tend to shimmy/slide around a bit. And for some reason, I can't get the shoulder belt locking trick to work consistently. I managed to do it once, and along with the CG lock that was pretty nice.

Someone above mentioned about putting something on the seat -- it just occurred to me that either the stuff that you put down between an area rug and hardwood floor might work, or that squishy kind of pad-like shelf-liner. First track day at TBolt on Monday, will see what I have around the house and maybe try that out.
I haven't tested it but on some cars if you pull the seatbelt all the way out to the limit, it goes into locking mode and will only recoil, but not let more out. If you like the shoulder strap tight, you could try that as opposed to jerking it tight.

The rug pad would probably work. I don't imagine that would hurt the seats.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 01:07 PM   #18
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep

I have a funny image of you guys applying adhesive Velcro to your clothes and seat bottom.

Last weekend I was driving a spec miata at Lime Rock. The car was painfully slow but it had 6 points and a fixed back OMP seat. It was a joy to not spent energy bracing myself in heavy braking zones and corners. By comparison, tracking my M3 feels like pilates on a rollercoaster if that makes any sense.

One of these days I am going to upgrade to cobra negaros + BK harness bar + 6 points w/ HANS.
Appreciate 3
      04-22-2021, 01:27 PM   #19
jfritz27
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_SheerDrivingPleasure View Post
I have a funny image of you guys applying adhesive Velcro to your clothes and seat bottom.
#TrackLife

Appreciate 1
jmg18493.00
      04-22-2021, 01:46 PM   #20
elite53
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E70 X5 35i

Quote:
It will show up. I recently bought two of them from him. One of them had a manufacturing defect and he sent me out another one next day. It's a legit seller.
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2022, 05:19 PM   #21
Max360
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

CG-Lock Seat Belt Tensioner

I used a CG-Lock on the the track the other day and really liked it - anyone know where I could get one?

Or as an alternative I found this - CINCH Seat Belt Tensioner from
https://www.cravenspeed.com/cinch-seat-belt-tensioner/
Anyone used this? Is it any good?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 06:42 PM   #22
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep

Don't bother with that. Just move your seat base aft, yank the shoulder strap to lock the tensioner and then position the seat base forward until your in a straight jacket. It requires some trial and error but it's superior to the GC lock, etc and there are no teeth to chew apart your belts.
Appreciate 0