Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

07-02-2014, 10:36 PM   #45
TheDeliverator
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A Singularity

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
Did it ever occur to you that your 9500ix is just missing it? Try it with a Redline or V1.

Cheers.
This

@ersin, looking forward to some tests detailing how these features affect countermeasures. Holding off on spec'ing a the car 'til more is known (even though I'm fairly sure how it will turn out). No way I'm ticking a box that will nerf a proven setup.

I really wish the same people who go over these cars with a finely tuned comb would do 5% of the same with their countermeasures.

V1C / Bel STiR+ / Integrated mirror display / AD08r f255/35 r275/35
/ IND Euro Bumper / MP Splitters / MP Steering Wheel
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 01:08 AM   #46
r3dbimmer89
Major
Rep
Drives: P-Car

I bought the launch car so I pretty much have every options except for the CCB and the Driver Assistance Plus package is useful besides the lane departure warning system . Definitely would not have ordered it but now that I have it, it's useful.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 11:46 AM   #47
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
My radar detector already has this feature and will not be part of my M4 build.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 12:13 PM   #48
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeliverator View Post
@ersin, looking forward to some tests detailing how these features affect countermeasures.
Unfortunately, not from me. I won't have any of those driver assist things.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned parking assist? You have this car that rewards the driver more than almost any other car out there. Yet, BMW offers this "feature" that parks the car for the driver. Just wait until they have self driving cars. There will be no reason for an M car anymore.

Cheers.

Last edited by ersin; 07-03-2014 at 01:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 10:45 PM   #49
NCSU2WFU
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F83 M4 & 2016 Macan Turbo

I did

Quote:
Did it ever occur to you that your 9500ix is just missing it? Try it with a Redline or V1.

Cheers.
So, I had questions about this myself. I can't drive without my V1 at all, and I was already getting the top and side view cameras. So I went to the dealership and test drove with my V1 in a 7-series with the exact same (so they tell me) drivers assistance package.

No interference what so ever. The V1 I used is about 2 years old, and has POP active. I added the rest of the package.

I also discovered that having the speed limit on the HUD is pretty awesome. The lane departure rumble isn't intrusive at all (feels like barely going over rumble strips IMO). In the end, I'd probably regret not having it (I hate spots where buttons should be that are empty).

Now if they could only get me a confirmed production date I'd be in business...
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 02:54 AM   #50
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
I researched the V1 issue and apparently with the latest models you can turn off the K-band POP only (leaving Ka POP on). Thus no signals with anyone's driver assist (the V1 can pick up other cars too). The only state that uses K band POP AFAIK is New Jersey.

I'm glad I got the package, I love love love speed limit info.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 06:46 AM   #51
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinimod View Post
- Collision braking also saved me multiple times on sudden highway stops in traffic.

Are you sure you deserve a driving license ?

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 06:47 AM   #52
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
That's how that feature works: it reads the speed signs with a camera. No signs, no speed limit info in the dash. There should be no need to bundle it with rest of driver assist features.

Cheers.
In Canada, Speed Limit info is a $350 stand alone option.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 07:05 AM   #53
SOM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: SO F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post

I was thinking the same thing, his license should be revoked.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 10:49 AM   #54
kinimod
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post

I was thinking the same thing, his license should be revoked.
I didn't say I would total the car and kill people. The system just prevented from damaging the bumper -- the extra foot of clearance you get by braking a couple milliseconds earlier (which the system does for you) helps with avoiding these minor damages that happen on busy highways where people suddenly change lanes without signal turns, appear in front of you and brake hard. Happens all the time in Bay Area
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 01:58 PM   #55
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
people suddenly change lanes without signal turns, appear in front of you and brake hard. Happens all the time in Bay Area
Look, I'm in a hurry alright?

A few days ago I busted a move around a slowbie which required some WOT action on 280 heading east from Cupertino. A dude in a new M6 heard me and he comes flying up and gives me the nod ... then a guy in a mustang, then a harley guy! We all gave the nod and then broke formation. was pretty cool.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 07:11 AM   #56
voodoogeek
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 moonstone

Garage List
2014 F82 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Yikes! That's scary. The less intervention the better. I don't want my car to think for me.
does the M4 have collision avoidance? didn't notice anything of that like but since I specc'd all options, I want to be sure NOT to have it.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 08:04 AM   #57
SOM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: SO F80

Quote:
I didn't say I would total the car and kill people. The system just prevented from damaging the bumper -- the extra foot of clearance you get by braking a couple milliseconds earlier (which the system does for you) helps with avoiding these minor damages that happen on busy highways where people suddenly change lanes without signal turns, appear in front of you and brake hard. Happens all the time in Bay Area
You mean to tell me that prior to this driver assitance options on the car you kept bumping into people just because of traffic?
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2014, 08:47 AM   #58
Boostin FD
Bored all the time
United_States
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

I opted out of this... I don't see the point of having it on an M4... maybe 5 series or a nice sedan, but not an M4. I had speed limit info and all that jazz on the Rs5... never really used it.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 09:15 AM   #59
voodoogeek
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 moonstone

Garage List
2014 F82 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelw9 View Post
I drove my M4 for a week in Europe for the first time with these features, having never tried them out, and yes, I am very glad I ordered it. It was great to know the speed limit - especially in Europe where there are cameras everywhere (drove in Switzerland) and the speed limit changes every 30 seconds. The active driving assistant, from what I understand, will not bring the car to a full stop, but can apply some braking in some circumstances (pedestrians), and possibly do a full stop too, but I have no intentions of trying it. It's supposed to work differently and at different speeds for pedestrians vs other vehicles.

I've already had the red "car coming too close" icon in the HUD when someone braked heavily in front of me, and the blind spot buzzer also already went off when someone was changing lanes at the same time I was. Did any of these aids actually help to prevent what would have been an accident? I highly doubt it, but you never know the one time that it will, which then makes it worth the money without question.
haha welcome to Switzerland with all the speed traps

I was asking myself the same about the full stop, and checked the sales brochure (german). it states there "will initialize braking in 0-40mph city traffic, and issue a warning above 40mph" when pedestrians or other vehicles are detected by the front facing camera in the rearview mirror (same camera is used for speed limit detection, although that is a separate option in switzerland).

I certainly hope the car won't apply brakes above 40mph !
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 01:00 PM   #60
michaelw9
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 Yas Marina Blue M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoogeek View Post
haha welcome to Switzerland with all the speed traps

I was asking myself the same about the full stop, and checked the sales brochure (german). it states there "will initialize braking in 0-40mph city traffic, and issue a warning above 40mph" when pedestrians or other vehicles are detected by the front facing camera in the rearview mirror (same camera is used for speed limit detection, although that is a separate option in switzerland).

I certainly hope the car won't apply brakes above 40mph !
I think it does still apply the brakes at higher speed, but it won't stop the car completely, so it gives you perhaps some milliseconds longer for you to push hard on the brakes. It also adapts the brake pedal so that the moment you start the travel on the brake pedal, it goes to 100% braking so you can be completely stopped just a tiny bit faster, which could be the difference between a hit and not hitting something or someone.

The US Insurance Institute did a test of the BMW system in a 2014 2-series, and got these results, below. The M4 system is probably the same one or very similar.

Low-speed autobrake
In the 12 mph IIHS test, impact speed was reduced by 10 mph. 2 points
High-speed autobrake
In the 25 mph IIHS test, impact speed was reduced by 7 mph. 1 point
Tested vehicle
2014 BMW 228i 2-door
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 04:49 AM   #61
kinimod
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOM3
Quote:
You mean to tell me that prior to this driver assitance options on the car you kept bumping into people just because of traffic?
Well, fair point. I did not. Realizing this, maybe the feature isn't as important in traffic, but more in very rare extreme situations of collisions or sudden objects/people on the road where driver's reaction isn't fast enough.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 08:32 AM   #62
serieD
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1199 Panigale S

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianeck View Post
I almost got in an accident today because of the collision avoidance system. Saw the car cutting me off, went to change lanes, and BAMM car brakes like crazy and scares the ever living shit out of me. I can't STAND that function, I almost got rear ended. Worst part is you can turn it off only on each drive, so it pops back on when you restart.

THIS!

This was my biggest fear with this type of technology. The idea of having the car drive for you and avoid other things is almost too good to be true. Especially with how I drive (not that I am reckless, because I am not). Changing lanes because someone darts out 5-7 car lengths ahead and having your car slam the brakes because it doesn't understand you are actually getting out of harms way, not into it is a very, very scary thought.

I would find the coding to get that deleted, that sounds horrid. But the cameras are useful, kind of. A buddy was letting me tool around his f10 while my f82 is on the boat, and I thought it was more of a gag than anything. I opted for no cameras in my car. Though, I wish the rear view and sensors were standard just for when I am in NYC and parking is a pain. Other than that, you have to just learn how to drive the car the "real way".

I also found the HUD extremely distracting, well done, but distracting. It's looks like it's floating 20 yards in front of the car and when I was driving I just didn't like it. However, I do think it is absolutely wild that you can put navigation and the speed limits up the screen, that is a seriously cool function. But I still like the cluster, and have always found that I never really look down that way anyhow.

So none for me!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 11:31 AM   #63
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
which button is it that shuts this off? That's not cool
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 12:09 PM   #64
rz3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: SO/SOe F80 M3

I had the collision avoidance system in a rental. HATED it. It was the worst in traffic when someone would change lanes and set it off. It was either an annoying alarm or sudden braking, both of which were more distracting than the car that just moved in front of me. My eyes and feet have served me well enough so far. I don't need the "help".
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2014, 12:36 PM   #65
DadzM4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

I have it all on my car. I turn off the accident avoidance but like the blind spot part. I was under the impression it did not actually brake for you, just lit up in red so you would stop? I have not tried yet. In one of my other cars it does not touch the brakes. As far as interference with radar, it does not set off my 9500ci but others that have it in their cars make my detector go off, always in K band. You can turn off X and K in many states and never have to worry but where I live in Florida they still use K band all the time and some of the local Sheriffs even use X band still, so I just leave all bands on and learned that mute is my friend but not to ignore those bands. i will have to go test the self breaking feature to see if that actually does work. I thought that is was basically turned off below 40 mph (or something close to that) and that the only feature that still worked at slow speeds was the blind spot.

In many cars these systems do cause your own radar to go off and there are kits made to fix this and it will also allow the them to display on your gauges instead of having to use the factory display (if you have a built in unit). I know in all my AMG Mercedes I had to use one of these modules but not in any of my other cars.

Last edited by DadzM4; 08-11-2014 at 12:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 12:42 PM   #66
m4pewpew
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by serieD View Post
THIS!

This was my biggest fear with this type of technology. The idea of having the car drive for you and avoid other things is almost too good to be true. Especially with how I drive (not that I am reckless, because I am not). Changing lanes because someone darts out 5-7 car lengths ahead and having your car slam the brakes because it doesn't understand you are actually getting out of harms way, not into it is a very, very scary thought.
I think all technologies that auto-correct driving can potentially do that to the driver: automatic gearbox, traction control, stability control, ABS, collision avoidance, etc. The way it decides to do something is like having a mind of its own, and all this amplifies when you're driving the car at the limit. In my opinion, modern cars require much more time to learn than older ones as a driver.
7/7/14: On the waiting list | 9/8/14: Order submitted | 10/2/14: Order approved. Production number received | 11/7/14: In Production | 11/15/14: End of production | 11/21/14: En route to the US | 12/7/14: Finishing touches | 12/13/14: At the dealer | 12/15/14: Car in garage
Appreciate 0