Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

11-06-2020, 09:46 AM   #155
gum2012
Private
Rep
Drives: m4 white 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzndogs View Post
1) Steel - this is the option all who plan on seriously tracking the car select

2) yes - night and day. no contest. My F80 with upgraded pads and fluids while sufficient on the track, would still get tired towards the end of the session on track and were not good at all on the street from a NVH point of view. With the GT4 steel brakes - I can beat on them for a 100+ track miles in one day and then drive home without so much as a peep or vibration. Very pleased. Also so far there has been next to zero fade on the track and I am pushing them hard.

3) no need to upgrade at this point - but once I wear through my pads and rotors - I will likely upgrade to AP racing rotors and upgraded pads. High temp fluid will happen when I flush the brake lines before my next track day

4) I could have either went with camber plates or camber shims. The latter was a more cost efficient and easier option as I am only running 2.1' of neg camber in the front and I could achieve that (and more) with 7mm shims alone. I will need to see if camber plates are required to install if I decide to dial in a more aggressive alignment down the road. Rear toe links and adjustable thrust arms will likely be necessary at this point. As for now, I am pleased with tire wear with current alignment. BTW, slight toe-in in the rear helped wonders under hard braking.

Overall - its a magnificent upgrade over the F80 in ALL departments. My exciting to drive on the street, and really the best all around street legal choice for the track for reasonable money.

I will always have a soft spot for the F80s killer looks and ability to just lay skids at any time. But the GT4 is a more precise, rewarding to drive, classy, capable track weapon 'out of the box'.
Nice! So I have an F82 which I've pretty much converted to a full track car: aero, suspension, safety, tires/wheels, brakes - and I am thinking about getting a GT4 for a spirited weekend car and fun car around town. Plus it will have a much higher WAF than a 6 point harness and OMP seats

I personally do not love the track car in a box. I've seen tons of new drivers go buy them (gt3 rs especially) then have zero understanding how the car works and are miserably slow drivers on the track. I've personally loved the experience of building one out which allowed me to learn so much about cars and the science of it. But that damn Gt4 sound is amazing lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 06:52 AM   #156
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gum2012 View Post
Nice! So I have an F82 which I've pretty much converted to a full track car: aero, suspension, safety, tires/wheels, brakes - and I am thinking about getting a GT4 for a spirited weekend car and fun car around town. Plus it will have a much higher WAF than a 6 point harness and OMP seats

I personally do not love the track car in a box. I've seen tons of new drivers go buy them (gt3 rs especially) then have zero understanding how the car works and are miserably slow drivers on the track. I've personally loved the experience of building one out which allowed me to learn so much about cars and the science of it. But that damn Gt4 sound is amazing lol.
It’s the opposite for me. I spent way too much time in my youth building, prepping and fixing up up my track cars. I now really enjoy something that works out of the box and that is fully warrantied

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
gum201250.50
      11-07-2020, 07:26 AM   #157
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
It’s the opposite for me. I spent way too much time in my youth building, prepping and fixing up up my track cars. I now really enjoy something that works out of the box and that is fully warrantied
Yeah, I'm with you. It's nice to be able to just jump in my 911 and go to a track day. I use the stock pads which are good enough, and just keep Cup2's on them for street and track both. I don't drive it much and it rarely rains here, so the Cup2 tire is fine for me.

I think when he was referring to the "track car out of the box", he was talking about newer drivers. I see his point, since newer Porsches are just too good on the track a new driver can be made to look like a hero by a GT3 and never really learn how to drive well. Everyone should start out by learning how to drive a slow car fast first (e.g. Miata, E36, etc.) IMO.

BTW, I've been reading up on the 992 Turbo S (assuming thats what you put on order). Insane car. Quickest car C&D has ever tested. Will beat most "hypercars" in a drag race. You're doing things right.
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889

Last edited by MaynardZed; 11-07-2020 at 07:34 AM..
Appreciate 2
FormulaMMM3662.50
gum201250.50
      11-07-2020, 09:37 AM   #158
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardZed View Post
Yeah, I'm with you. It's nice to be able to just jump in my 911 and go to a track day. I use the stock pads which are good enough, and just keep Cup2's on them for street and track both. I don't drive it much and it rarely rains here, so the Cup2 tire is fine for me.

I think when he was referring to the "track car out of the box", he was talking about newer drivers. I see his point, since newer Porsches are just too good on the track a new driver can be made to look like a hero by a GT3 and never really learn how to drive well. Everyone should start out by learning how to drive a slow car fast first (e.g. Miata, E36, etc.) IMO.

BTW, I've been reading up on the 992 Turbo S (assuming thats what you put on order). Insane car. Quickest car C&D has ever tested. Will beat most "hypercars" in a drag race. You're doing things right.
Not quite the turbo-S, I am going for the base turbo. Same trick chassis with 4WD, 4WS, PASM, active roll bars and active aero, but a bit down on power. Still 572hp though, which I figure should be more than enough in a 3,500lb-3,600lb car . It is really what I've read about what they did to chassis and handling that got me into it. The more serious reviews I've read say it almost feels like a street-able GT Porsche, which is really what I am looking for. The video below by Tim Schrick is what convinced me, I can really relate to how he speaks on how the car handles on track.

Excerpt from CarMagazine:
"So dazzling is the Turbo S as a complete modern sports car that you wonder if this car could have worn GT badging; a GT2 RS with a roadgoing remit. It feels that special."

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 11-07-2020 at 09:46 AM..
Appreciate 3
FormulaMMM3662.50
MaynardZed1231.00
gum201250.50
      11-07-2020, 10:28 AM   #159
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Excerpt from CarMagazine:
"So dazzling is the Turbo S as a complete modern sports car that you wonder if this car could have worn GT badging; a GT2 RS with a roadgoing remit. It feels that special."
Remarkable at a time when most special manufacturer divisions are becoming more generic, Porsche's turbo models are becoming more RS. Obvious resistance to the natural dulling of the driving experience

Appreciate 2
CanAutM321115.00
MaynardZed1231.00