Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

10-13-2020, 11:14 AM   #1
Txipi84
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Any lips that incorporate brake ducts?

I'm looking for a carbon fiber lip for M3 F80 with air brake ducts. I find lips only for M3 E9X. Can anyone help me?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 05:48 PM   #2
Taco_Bueno
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM BMW M4 F82

I think the only one available routes through the upper lip/canard thingys?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 02:15 AM   #3
Txipi84
Private
Rep

I found the lip of race car GT4 but is too expensive and algo the replicas... Other option is to make a holes on the front bumper style GT4 but this option I think is complicate....

Arrrgggg
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 11:22 PM   #4
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Pretty much every lip that has passthrough holes can have brake ducts incorporated, but it's gonna be a lot of DIY. Whether it's worth it to actually run ducts that low is up to you. People who have run ducts under the car managed to tear the ducts to shreds after one or two track days. Every track focused forum from Porsche to Corvette to Miatas to M3s, have had to cobble together brake duct solutions in a DIY fashion; and a lot of them are well documented on their respective forums. So just get a lip you think looks good, and go for it!

Here are a few I found...

- 360 Carbon Front Lip

- GTS lip

- CS lip

- M-Perf CF lip with Revozport add on splitter/brake ducts

- Hamman lip

- Exotics Tuning lip

- Varis lip

THE MOTHER OF ALL LIPS...
M4 GT4
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 11:29 PM   #5
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txipi84 View Post
I found the lip of race car GT4 but is too expensive and algo the replicas... Other option is to make a holes on the front bumper style GT4 but this option I think is complicate....

Arrrgggg
I have the GT4 brake duct openings installed on my front bumper. It's not that much work to get them in. First you have to remove the bumper. Then you have to cut the poly bumper cover and there is also a plastic scaffolding behind the poly bumper cover that needs to be trimmed too. If you have a dremel, it's a pretty quick job though.

The M4 GT4 uses 2 separate routes: through the bumper and trough the lower front lip. The one on the bumper is the larger duct though and IMO, plenty of cooling for this car. If you like the look, then I'd go this route as opposed to trying to route it below the car.

Here is my car with the bumper ducts.
Appreciate 5
      10-15-2020, 04:04 AM   #6
Txipi84
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.shell View Post
I have the GT4 brake duct openings installed on my front bumper. It's not that much work to get them in. First you have to remove the bumper. Then you have to cut the poly bumper cover and there is also a plastic scaffolding behind the poly bumper cover that needs to be trimmed too. If you have a dremel, it's a pretty quick job though.

The M4 GT4 uses 2 separate routes: through the bumper and trough the lower front lip. The one on the bumper is the larger duct though and IMO, plenty of cooling for this car. If you like the look, then I'd go this route as opposed to trying to route it below the car.

I like this option. Where did you buy the brake duct? I have seen RKP and looks nice!

What are the measures of the "hole"?

Thanks mate!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 05:29 AM   #7
yjypm
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Quote:

Arrrgggg

How do you route the duct to the brakes?

Instagram:catpupu_f80
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 01:45 AM   #8
FuZiOnInC
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

These look so good! Never thought of this.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 04:27 PM   #9
Equilibrandt
Auto/DCT Zealot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Miata

Garage List
Quote:

Which combination of splitters + lip did you do here? Looks incredible.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 05:13 PM   #10
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
I like this option. Where did you buy the brake duct? I have seen RKP and looks nice!

What are the measures of the "hole"?

Thanks mate!
The GT4 brake ducts are Auto Tecknic. The RKP one will probably be better quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjypm View Post
How do you route the duct to the brakes?
You go behind the wheel well, then through the wheel well, along the tie rod or control arm, finally to the rotor. It's kind of an involved DIY job. I haven't done it yet so mine is all for looks at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspaulsen View Post
Which combination of splitters + lip did you do here? Looks incredible.
The splitters are M-Performance. The lip is APR Air Dam. I had to modify/cut the MP splitters to slip over the APR lip. You can see it in the photo below.

The other thing I did was to put spacers on the front two mounts of the lip so that the lip sits lower in center than was intended. You see, the APR lip actually bows up in the middle when you mount it properly; a look I'm not a fan of. I wanted the lip to be level/straight all the way across. I thought the center bow was a waste of visual impact because it takes away from how aggressive the lip is without giving it any meaningful ground clearance advantage... the middle part of the lip hardly ever scrapes. Any one with a lowered car already knows that you angle your way out of driveways, so it's mostly the corner edge that gets scraped up. So with the spacers on the center mounts, you get a lower look without too much sacrifice in ground clearance.

You can clearly see the difference with the Austin Yellow lip; the center is bowed up quite a bit compared to mine.

APR lip: center bowed up.

APR lip: level all the way across.

Last edited by x.shell; 11-10-2020 at 05:22 PM..
Appreciate 3
yjypm219.00
T1M3LESS2273.50
      11-10-2020, 05:33 PM   #11
Equilibrandt
Auto/DCT Zealot
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Looks fantastic - figured you'd dremeled a good amount. Did you have to seal (?) any of the newly-exposed CF edges when you chopped the splitters?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 03:25 PM   #12
F82TrackCar
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

How did you get that big A__ hose through those little passages behind the in-bumper ducts? Or did you go around them or something different? I have the ducts in and the brake shield inlets (2.5").

Thanks!

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 03:47 PM   #13
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82TrackCar View Post
How did you get that big A__ hose through those little passages behind the in-bumper ducts? Or did you go around them or something different? I have the ducts in and the brake shield inlets (2.5").

Thanks!
There is a space that you can use to route the hose. You may have to cram it through. How it exits through the fender liner will depend on your set up. If your wheels/tires are inset pretty deep, you may have clearance issues. But yeah, there is a way... you just need to McGuyver the exit a bit.

Here are a couple pics of my car when I last had the bumper off.

This is an M2, but it's practically the same thing.
Appreciate 3
      06-09-2022, 08:14 PM   #14
sly1types
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 and E46M3

nice work, you don't see many doing the brake ducts. I would love to see a diy to see how involved the duct routing is.
F85 X5M
https://www.instagram.com/fastmacm3/
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 10:33 AM   #15
Equilibrandt
Auto/DCT Zealot
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sly1types View Post
nice work, you don't see many doing the brake ducts. I would love to see a diy to see how involved the duct routing is.
Seems like the common consensus when DIY'ing your ducts is the issues you invariably run into when your wheels go lock to lock. You almost need to come at the rotor fully perpendicularly or else you may pinch or kink the ducting going lock to lock. It's not a static ziptie job - there needs to be some play/slack (or even droop) to prevent that. It also really depends on your wheel and tire setup (inner clearance).
Appreciate 0