BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-17-2021, 01:27 PM   #1
Soul Coughing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
Is there anyway to find out if your car is tuned

Hey Everyone,

So I was at the dealership having a few minor things fixed while I'm still under warranty, and my SA asked if I had tuned the car because his tech that had taken it for a drive felt that it was faster than other F80 M3's. I had said no, and that the dealership that I had bought it from had said it wasn't tuned. He quickly backed down when I asked if he would help assist me in talking to the previous dealership, but even still, I am now unsure. I reached out to BM3 and gave them my VIN, but they were unable to help me. I checked the boost levels, but didn't see anything over the 18psi that ZCP's are known to max out at. Anyway, I'd be open to some input if anyone has any insight. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 01:41 PM   #2
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTSx2/X5M

If they connect your car to the BMW computer it should take less than a minute to figure out if it's tuned and flag your car.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 01:45 PM   #3
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

Yes and No.

On first sight now, if you want to find out datalog it and floor the car 3rd gear and up and check what it's boosting.

If it's normal then tell the guy who took the car out for a drive to go take a hike and to stop driving brz's before he takes your M out for a stroll.

Also find a new dealership, anyone who's asking for tunes is clearly not mod friendly.

Heck the first dealer i went in found a tampering code in my car, told me to get a better tune and to clear the code and didn't flag my car.

You will want a dealer like that
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 02:21 PM   #4
schnell1982
Captain
Rep
Drives: FAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Coughing View Post
Hey Everyone,

So I was at the dealership having a few minor things fixed while I'm still under warranty, and my SA asked if I had tuned the car because his tech that had taken it for a drive felt that it was faster than other F80 M3's. I had said no, and that the dealership that I had bought it from had said it wasn't tuned. He quickly backed down when I asked if he would help assist me in talking to the previous dealership, but even still, I am now unsure. I reached out to BM3 and gave them my VIN, but they were unable to help me. I checked the boost levels, but didn't see anything over the 18psi that ZCP's are known to max out at. Anyway, I'd be open to some input if anyone has any insight. Thanks.

Contact Mike @ BPM or Alex @ Mission Performance Tuning
They both can assist you in confirming if your ECU has been programmed. They can evaluate the coding data.
All manufacturers these days have software within their factory diagnostic tools to detect ECU tampering "performance software"
Some aftermarket software engineers might have ways to offer performance software without being detected.

I would recommend reaching out to Mike or Alex to assist you in confirming what your DME's status is.
Good luck
Appreciate 0