proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-18-2023, 09:36 PM   #1
FRZN CS
FNG
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 CS FDBII

Is the M4 CS cursed?

I'm in the market for my first BMW... and have been wrestling the idea of an F87 2019+ M2C or F82 2018+ M4 comp as a daily, but I keep seeing M4 CS pop up in the near-ish price range. If I compare depreciation, (I've been looking at 6MT, and I know the CS is only DCT), most '19-'21 M2C that I see are 5-10% less than original MSRP, an M4 w/comp is maybe 10-15% less, but I've seen low mile 2019 M4 CS for 30%+ less than MSRP.

I know that a lot of people had heartache over the premium for the CS when new, but it seems like a similar year (+/-2019) M4 comp and M4 CS are nearly the same price in 2023.

Did people buy the M4 CS as a daily without considering it's not as 'luxurious' as an M4 and trade it back? Is it a horrible daily? Is it not the ultimate 'collectible' driving machine?

Sorry if there's a lot of rambling here... I'm just honestly really confused at why it might be a bad choice to spend another $5k-$10k for such a capable car... that was $50k+ more than the others just a few years ago.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 09:51 PM   #2
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

The M4 CS really never sold at MSRP, heavy discounts were given to move the cars because of bad press due to no armrests and cup holders. It's an absolute shame because most of the reviews on the car are complete BS trash.

The M4 CS is how the M4 always should have been, and yes it's worth at least $15-20k more than a similar year competition model now due to the extra parts provided. The OLED tails, hood, carbon lip, carbon diffusor, and interior are all a nice step up and worth it.

Most of the cheaper M4 CS cars appear to be black as well. For better colors expect to pay more right now. I'm unsure if they'll continue to depreciate much, the hit has been pretty massive that folks like me who purchased within the past 6 months have an absolutely unbelievable car for a huge discount. I bought my 2019 FDB2 CS with 14k miles on it back in September, and I purchased it for about $40k off the original window sticker. I was sure at the time I could have saved a bit more if I had waited 6-12 months, but I think inflation is going to explode again within the next 12-18 months or less so I hopped on what was a perfect car to me.

I think the difference between a good CS and a comparable year Comp car is closer to $15-20k in the market right now. From what I'm seeing the cheaper CS cars are either black, white, high mileage, or have accidents. To get a LRG or FDB2 CS, you're still looking at $65-70k for a low mileage example (say under 20k miles).

Long response, but I cannot recommend the CS enough. I've owned two F82s (one a Comp) and an F80 before the current CS and the CS is just much more special. It's a daily driver for me, but I only drive around 4k miles a year as I work remote so not sure if that could really be considered "daily" hah.

Buy one, I promise you won't be disappointed!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 10
      03-18-2023, 10:11 PM   #3
FRZN CS
FNG
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
...most of the reviews on the car are complete BS trash.
I've noticed. And thanks for the detailed response. Comparing the models on paper (and multiple articles / videos) and given current market, I thought I was going insane.

You're also spot on with pricing. I had found a FDB2 close to the range I was look in, and that made me dig deeper. There isn't a lot of inventory in my area, so an upgrade might be worth it to get a good car!
Appreciate 1
NickyC17357.50
      03-18-2023, 10:13 PM   #4
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnoutbird View Post
I've noticed. And thanks for the detailed response. Comparing the models on paper (and multiple articles / videos) and given current market, I thought I was going insane.

You're also spot on with pricing. I had found a FDB2 close to the range I was look in, and that made me dig deeper. There isn't a lot of inventory in my area, so an upgrade might be worth it to get a good car!
Go for it, I'm sure you'll love the car!!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 10:38 PM   #5
snakes1021
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 CS/ 440I gran coupe

I pick up a 2019 M4 CS in alpine White. I love it I wouldnt call it a daily for me. Just depends how I feel, the weather. other than that I love it. I drive my 440 GC If Im not driving the M4, taking the kiddos to do something, get groceries etc. The interior in the 440 is comparable to the M4 base/comp (setup wise). I actually prefer the M4 CS interior. Not having an arm rest and door pockets doesnt bother me.

The only thing I find odd is the position of the USB port, beyond that I have nothing even remotely negative to say.

M4 CS begs to go fast. Im sure the comp/base do too.
Dont hesitate. FYI Im picking up extended warranty from easy care It was recommended on here in another post. They offer pretty much bumper to bumper.

$8k got me an additional 4years 50k miles. that includes wheel and tire road hazard protection road side assistance and some other odds and ends. Cheaper than form BMW and I think it will be easier to get away with mods if it being covered by 3rd party
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2023, 11:57 PM   #6
m5_mbb7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5CS, M5C, M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakes1021 View Post
I pick up a 2019 M4 CS in alpine White. I love it I wouldnt call it a daily for me. Just depends how I feel, the weather. other than that I love it. I drive my 440 GC If Im not driving the M4, taking the kiddos to do something, get groceries etc. The interior in the 440 is comparable to the M4 base/comp (setup wise). I actually prefer the M4 CS interior. Not having an arm rest and door pockets doesnt bother me.

The only thing I find odd is the position of the USB port, beyond that I have nothing even remotely negative to say.

Dont hesitate. FYI Im picking up extended warranty from easy care It was recommended on here in another post. They offer pretty much bumper to bumper.

$8k got me an additional 4years 50k miles. that includes wheel and tire road hazard protection road side assistance and some other odds and ends. Cheaper than form BMW and I think it will be easier to get away with mods if it being covered by 3rd party
8k for a warranty? My god…
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2023, 12:36 PM   #7
canaus
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Get the comp and then do the GTS/CS coding options on it. Win-win.

Unless you really want a CS specific paint or the OLEDs.
Appreciate 1
HotRodM4673.50
      03-21-2023, 03:47 PM   #8
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
When I was buying my M4 back in ~2019, can confirm that the CS was not a very desired car and there were a lot of discounts here in the LA Area. Especially for leases, I could lease a M4 CS for the same monthly as my fully loaded Non-ZCP F82.

It was a hard pass for me because I wanted more luxury stuff like comfort access. Granted the CS does look more special, but it's not for me.

If you are okay with a lack of luxury, then go for it.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 2
Kilabyte3942.00
      03-22-2023, 06:00 PM   #9
snakes1021
Private First Class
Rep

Lol yea $8k BMW wanted more for less coverage,

Last edited by snakes1021; 03-22-2023 at 07:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 06:08 PM   #10
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

I'm CS blessed.

I owned a fully loaded 2018 M4 Comp, including M Perf parts in and out, for about 3 years. I currently own the CS same amount of years. Its existence is the key reason why I went repeat mode instead of jumping into something 911 GT3 present day.

*CS interior feels much more special esp the door cards and the strap
*Don't miss comfort access and dual climate control at all
*OLED tail lights are mesmerizing day *and* night
*Carbon hood is a beauty esp when you pop hood
*Power difference you get used to fast so it's a wash (more mid range push)
*DCT is a wash (same excellence)
*Wheels are cool, but I always run aftermarket so no care (see below)

In the normal ghettofication by the 2nd/3rd/4th/nth owner M car, we're entering the F80/2's light on wallet stage.

10-15 years from now, and I was looking for an F82, no question I'd pay top $ for a BaT type F82 CS. It's the most well sorted M car from the best looking M generation of all time that is the F80/F82.

I can see into the future, watching reviews by social media types who are in diapers today...

The F80/2 generation is the last to feature the classic BMW kidney aesthetic before M went awol. Legendary M engineer, A. Biermann, delivered his final engineering opus that is the final iteration of the M dual clutch transmission, powered by a high-revving, bi-turbo Bavarian hammer of a dino liquid engine that will attempt to kill you in corners save for the most car control adept...it's an old school PARTY PIECE that MMMMMesmerizes!

BTW, then E30 M3 was a heavily discounted castaway from the go. Look at where it is now. Some things take time to marinate.
Attached Images

Last edited by THEROK; 03-22-2023 at 06:50 PM..
Appreciate 6
NickyC17357.50
DaiLyCS166.50
csboi367.50
Colinv64012.00
      03-22-2023, 09:43 PM   #11
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
When I was buying my M4 back in ~2019, can confirm that the CS was not a very desired car and there were a lot of discounts here in the LA Area. Especially for leases, I could lease a M4 CS for the same monthly as my fully loaded Non-ZCP F82.

It was a hard pass for me because I wanted more luxury stuff like comfort access. Granted the CS does look more special, but it's not for me.

If you are okay with a lack of luxury, then go for it.
+1 to this.

Prior to covid, I drove ~20 miles each way in LA traffic. All the creature comforts were needed.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 10:01 PM   #12
snakes1021
Private First Class
Rep

N1rve, thats certainly understandable, but I dont see any creature comforts missing that I would need and dont have while driving in traffic. I think the radio sounds better than the HK. I dont really need dual zone climate its a small car. I mean what comforts is the CS missing. comfort access IMO is meh. I have no problem tapping the button to unlock the doors. I cant think of anything else. cameras? I think they are a fad cool to have but Ive never really used any except my back up camera.

I honestly dont see what is missing. I have another 4 series GC that has all that dont use it in there either. I like the hatch on that guy, easy to load things in the trunk and dont have to move the seats to get kids in and out.

I wouldnt have bought that one but the lady needed a car. Now she doesnt drive it because she didnt want pay for or maintain it. So i have 2 teens 17 and 14 that need cars so i didtn see any sense in getting rid of it.
Appreciate 1
NickyC17357.50
      03-22-2023, 10:07 PM   #13
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEROK View Post
I'm CS blessed.

I owned a fully loaded 2018 M4 Comp, including M Perf parts in and out, for about 3 years. I currently own the CS same amount of years. Its existence is the key reason why I went repeat mode instead of jumping into something 911 GT3 present day.

*CS interior feels much more special esp the door cards and the strap
*Don't miss comfort access and dual climate control at all
*OLED tail lights are mesmerizing day *and* night
*Carbon hood is a beauty esp when you pop hood
*Power difference you get used to fast so it's a wash (more mid range push)
*DCT is a wash (same excellence)
*Wheels are cool, but I always run aftermarket so no care (see below)

In the normal ghettofication by the 2nd/3rd/4th/nth owner M car, we're entering the F80/2's light on wallet stage.

10-15 years from now, and I was looking for an F82, no question I'd pay top $ for a BaT type F82 CS. It's the most well sorted M car from the best looking M generation of all time that is the F80/F82.

I can see into the future, watching reviews by social media types who are in diapers today...

The F80/2 generation is the last to feature the classic BMW kidney aesthetic before M went awol. Legendary M engineer, A. Biermann, delivered his final engineering opus that is the final iteration of the M dual clutch transmission, powered by a high-revving, bi-turbo Bavarian hammer of a dino liquid engine that will attempt to kill you in corners save for the most car control adept...it's an old school PARTY PIECE that MMMMMesmerizes!

BTW, then E30 M3 was a heavily discounted castaway from the go. Look at where it is now. Some things take time to marinate.

The OLEDs are simply amazing like you said. I have had several people, who know nothing about what the tail lights are/cost, comment about them. I have also had folks who know about the car, request me to cycle them on/off as they had heard about them. Your eye is just drawn to them night/day like you said. At night they just glow, they really are a trick setup for our cars and were the main reason I didn't really consider the F80 CS. The F80 folks really got screwed on the tail lights/door cards when it came to the CS, but luckily I don't think a single among them care as they have an awesome car in its own right.
Appreciate 1
DaiLyCS166.50
      03-22-2023, 10:48 PM   #14
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Quote:
N1rve, thats certainly understandable, but I dont see any creature comforts missing that I would need and dont have while driving in traffic. I think the radio sounds better than the HK. I dont really need dual zone climate its a small car. I mean what comforts is the CS missing. comfort access IMO is meh. I have no problem tapping the button to unlock the doors. I cant think of anything else. cameras? I think they are a fad cool to have but Ive never really used any except my back up camera.

I honestly dont see what is missing. I have another 4 series GC that has all that dont use it in there either. I like the hatch on that guy, easy to load things in the trunk and dont have to move the seats to get kids in and out.

I wouldnt have bought that one but the lady needed a car. Now she doesnt drive it because she didnt want pay for or maintain it. So i have 2 teens 17 and 14 that need cars so i didtn see any sense in getting rid of it.
I need the digital climate display so I can turn to my SO and grin as I change the temp to 69.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 11:17 PM   #15
snakes1021
Private First Class
Rep

lol. its an M car she should already know.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 11:46 PM   #16
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Quote:

Give me 7K and I'll cover whatever goes wrong with your car over that time/ mileage period.

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 1
ntg442887.50
      03-22-2023, 11:52 PM   #17
DaiLyCS
First Class
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnoutbird View Post
I'm in the market for my first BMW... and have been wrestling the idea of an F87 2019+ M2C or F82 2018+ M4 comp as a daily, but I keep seeing M4 CS pop up in the near-ish price range. If I compare depreciation, (I've been looking at 6MT, and I know the CS is only DCT), most '19-'21 M2C that I see are 5-10% less than original MSRP, an M4 w/comp is maybe 10-15% less, but I've seen low mile 2019 M4 CS for 30%+ less than MSRP.

I know that a lot of people had heartache over the premium for the CS when new, but it seems like a similar year (+/-2019) M4 comp and M4 CS are nearly the same price in 2023.

Did people buy the M4 CS as a daily without considering it's not as 'luxurious' as an M4 and trade it back? Is it a horrible daily? Is it not the ultimate 'collectible' driving machine?

Sorry if there's a lot of rambling here... I'm just honestly really confused at why it might be a bad choice to spend another $5k-$10k for such a capable car... that was $50k+ more than the others just a few years ago.
Just buy m4 cs and sell the tails light and all most makeup of those money if not then you can trade the hood and make some money, if that not enough trade the seats, go farther and trade carbon driveshaft lol 😂 also to remember cs comes with full leather dash and head up display which is really nice, not every car option those things. I daily my CS and love it.
Appreciate 1
NickyC17357.50
      03-23-2023, 09:19 AM   #18
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

Quote:
Lol yea $8k BMW wanted more for less coverage,
The carmax warranties really are a good deal. Under $3k for 5yr/70k coverage. No a CS, but still.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 01:11 PM   #19
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:

Each person has their different wants and desires. My last car was an FR-S and it basically checks all of the boxes for a great sports car except the power. For my next car I wanted to keep stepping up in terms of luxury and performance.

The M4CS has these following things missing:

Comfort access
Heated steering wheel
Full leather doorcards
Dual zone climate control
Center armrest
Rear Center console HVAC vents
Surround view
HK sound system
Active blind spot detection
Driving assistance (collision avoidance)
Parking assistant (self parking)
Sunroof
Headlight washers
Rear sunblind (Canada only)
6MT

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1706668

Without some of these features, I would essentially have a car that's worse than my old car except in power. I haven't needed to take my key out of my pocket to unlock the car since 2010! Sun Roof was a requirement since all of my other cars never had one. I wanted every single safety feature I can get with this car, without it the car feels dated. Do I need them? No, but if I'm paying over 70K for this car, it better be nicer than a 30K Toyota Camry.

There was a reason why I didn't get the ZCP package either, the suspension was noticeably stiffer, the tire side wall was thinner and all I can think about is tire sidewall bubbles and bent rims, and the lack of a lumbar support was just a no go for me.

Living with a HUD made me realize that once you have a HUD, it's very hard to go back to a car without one.

So essentially for me, my cars have to have the same luxury features or more with the same or better driving experience.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2023, 02:26 PM   #20
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

everyone went head over heels for the M2CS. that lifted m2 comp prices. most reviews weren't kind to the f80/f82 no matter what trim level.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 2
      03-24-2023, 04:05 PM   #21
Mtr3sto
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, F80 M3CS, FL5 Type R

Here is my theory:

If you guys go at car shopping websites, there is a mix up of f80/f82s that are base or comps being labeled as CS. Then people who do not know about the CS just put em for sale cheaper. Also if you try to sell them to a dealer and they do not know what it is, they offer Competition trim money for the trade. Even Kelly Blue book is confused about what it is worth and says there is not enough data or something along those lines.

As for future pricing, I think this will follow most other limited production BMWs that are not only a re-paint. Depreciate at first then appreciate after 10years give or take. I don't know how many f82s where made but the f80 had a bit more than 1200 units made which should be on the top 10 most limited production cars from BMW.

That being said I believe the Alpine white and Black cars wont hold their value as much as LRG, Melbourne red, Frozen Dark Blue 2, and san marino.

If in the market for an f80/f82 and are in between CS and non-CS similarly priced with similar miles, always go for the CS due to the following: Limited Production, Lightest OEM wheels on f8x platform (arguably best looking as well) amazing looking CF front hood, other OEM carbon bits that would cost an arm to buy OEM for a non CS trim, and most fine tuned car from the f8x gen with BMW combining the best performance aspects from Competition and GTS trims (re-tuned suspension, engine, transmission, differential, et…) On the other hand I can justify not getting a similarly priced CS if you are looking for a manual or a certain Individual color.

Last edited by Mtr3sto; 03-24-2023 at 04:23 PM..
Appreciate 4
      03-24-2023, 05:14 PM   #22
FRZN CS
FNG
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10M5PR View Post
On the other hand I can justify not getting a similarly priced CS if you are looking for a manual or a certain Individual color.
I initially wanted a 6MT (M2C or M4+comp) but they seem pretty rare anywhere remotely close to me. And I agree with what you say about online pricing. It seems to be all over the place for M4s, irrespective of trim levels. Specific to M2C manuals, I still see some posted with 10k-15k miles for original MSRP, while M4s are at a decent discount... maybe that's partially because I've also seen them referred to as "the Mustang of BMW".

I agree with your other points 100%. Uniqueness and 'collectibility' are my goals, obviously along with performance, and I've almost fully settled on an M4 CS to fit the bill. I'd love an M2 CS, but holly hell, that's currently a $20k premium over a (~1-2 year older) M4 CS. It's still bonkers to me.

FDB2 is my unicorn, then LRG or SMB. Red or black are... meh. I have no intention on AW.

I'm not in a hurry, would just like to have one before people start to realize they're a relatively /subjectively good deal.
Appreciate 1
NickyC17357.50