proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

12-08-2013, 07:44 AM   #287
Marley71
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Septa

They should have benchmarked the BRZ. It's not just about the numbers.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #288
US///M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdiggz View Post
You mean like how my M3 is now worth half as much as it was new? Yea great resale value
Only real M3's have great resale value , I know a guy who purchased an E36 M3 LTW 15 years ago for about 40 grand and now it's worth at least that. Pristine E30 M3's have a good resale value as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #289
m3rxn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: boosted Inline 6's

Before I was a Bimmer enthusiast, I was a Mustang enthusiast. Big props to Ford with the Coyote 5.0 and the new body design..looks pretty good in photos and probably even better on the street..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 09:04 AM   #290
HuskerFan85
Private
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWforLife View Post
I traded my e90 330i for a 2012 mustang v6.

wish i never did...

i had the performance pack, so i had better gear ratios and stiffer suspension, the car still didn’t quite handle as well as I would have liked.

Granted i got the v6 rather than the v8, my biggest gripe is the power was not smooth at all, it was obviously variable through the RPM range. killed the joy of driving.

needless to say i corrected this mistake
you cant even compare the v6 to the v8. its like comparing a m3 to a 320.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 09:18 AM   #291
Phaeron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Earl View Post
There was a guy in the M5 forum who is trying to order a new M5 and sell his old one. He said dealership is giving him 26k for his E60 M5. 26k! can you believe that? So much for the resale value of M cars. As you said its a big joke.

I also don't think it's sensible to keep these cars beyond the warranty/lease period. Thus, I don't think your options other than leasing is valid unless you have a ton of money. Extended warranty/maintenance plans for the M cars are ridiculously expensive (around 7-9k, adding 150-200/month more to your payment) in addition to the cost of new tires, alignment, balancing tires, rotors, and god knows what else. These cars, while they excite us all brand new, are not meant to be kept outside of 3-4 years window.
Leasing may seem cheaper but in the long run it is far more expensive. The extended maintenance plans generally aren't worth it (that 7-9k could have been savings for maintenance.). Once you own a car you no longer have a payment.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #292
Phaeron
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerFan85 View Post
you cant even compare the v6 to the v8. its like comparing a m3 to a 320.
you can drive wise. the V8 and the V6 use the same suspension. So comparing how they drive sans the power difference is legitimate.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #293
HuskerFan85
Private
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeron View Post
you can drive wise. the V8 and the V6 use the same suspension. So comparing how they drive sans the power difference is legitimate.
the throttle response and that windbag of an engine ruins all of the feel of it
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #294
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Quote:
Leasing may seem cheaper but in the long run it is far more expensive. The extended maintenance plans generally aren't worth it (that 7-9k could have been savings for maintenance.). Once you own a car you no longer have a payment.
I haven't had a car payment in over 5 years and it's great (also paid for the car outright, so no interest payments either). I am also out of warranty though. However, short of the engine blowing or something else major mechanically going wrong, I can afford to keep the car on the road.

I've honestly never seen the point of leasing a car, but that's just me.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #295
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerFan85 View Post
the throttle response and that windbag of an engine ruins all of the feel of it
True

Plus I am not sure if you can order the stang v6 with the track pack (suspension and brakes)

The 5.0 motor is awesome and very eager to rev. It feels like a mix between a Chevy lsx motor and the s65. Reqlly impressive

Excited to see this lighter weight mustang with irs. I absolutely want to test drive a 5.0 with recaros and track pack
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #296
desertfox73
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 / 2018 F85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2011M3
Keep in mind a fully loaded GT will be under $45k, what you pay for a decently equipped 428i, which doesn't even come with a locking diffy as standard and you need a calendar to record its 1/4 mile time in comparison to a 5.0L Mustang and yet handle just as good.

Dave
Exactly...and that's why I think this car will be cross-shopped by a lot of BMW owners, not just the M car guys. How many people bought 335s or 135s, etc. to maximize performance for their dollar? How many M3owners are stretching their monthly finances to have a car that drives as well as their beloved M3? Probably quite a lot, and the Mustang will pull a lot of those folks into dealerships. Some won't buy the Ford, but I think a lot will, once they see what they can get in terms of performance at a similar price point.

I think in a lot of cases it will come straight down to money, so for all the forum members saying the Mustang shouldn't be cross-shopped with the M3, I agree with them. Instead, I think the $50k version of the new Mustang should be compared with the $50k BMW. Dollars for dollars, that's what value buyers are looking for. A fair comparison is not always about comparing equipment for equipment.

BMW ought to seriously be reading this thread and really give their value proposition some thought. With the new M3/M4 pushing serious $$ (if it wasn't already), and a $110k M5 that is all but an afterthought in the auto enthusiast publication world, BMW can't afford to screw this up.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #297
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
This definitely looks nice - but it looks more Japanese than European to me - which isn't necessarily good or bad. The lines just seem more GTR like, specifically from the front facia.

I have to admit that I liked the "boxy" front of the outgoing Mustang better. It seemed to be the thing that made Mustangs unique, at least from a looks perspective.

In terms of performance for your buck - this thing is going to be a hell of a deal for what you get at a sub 40k price point. So for less than an M235, you're going to get better than M3 performance ? Sounds awfully tempting to me...

I have to admit that I have never cross shopped the Mustang because they, along with the Camaro have always felt a little...cheesy....to me. That could just be a perception thing, but I will drive this thing for sure.

Especially now that BMW has been so idiotic with the release of the M235, (no, the "any day now" US ordering guide STILL isn't out), maybe it's time to put the perceptions to the side and give the Americans a shot. I don't feel like paying more for the German stuff unless there's tangible reasons to do so....
      12-08-2013, 10:24 AM   #298
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
No, CR did a reliability study and Declared the BMW M3 as one of the most reliable cars made. Thanks for playing.
If you are referring to the Consumers Report auto reliability study, you're interpretation is slightly off. They concluded that, among only BMW cars, was the M3 the most reliable.

As an M3 owner, I wish CR would have declared my car as one of the most reliable among all cars made. Still, being the most reliable BMW car is a noteworthy and useful achievement.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #299
Phaeron
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman View Post
If you are referring to the Consumers Report auto reliability study, you're interpretation is slightly off. They concluded that, among only BMW cars, was the M3 the most reliable.

As an M3 owner, I wish CR would have declared my car as one of the most reliable among all cars made. Still, being the most reliable BMW car is a noteworthy and useful achievement.
i know which one you are talking about. I am citing CRs Best of Best reliability where the M3 was the only BMW among other cars such as the 911 and others.

Either way i find it dubious as they would later say the 3 series is one of the most reliable cars you can buy.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #300
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Quote:
I have sat in a Ford lately and if you were honest you would not be spouting stupid shit like this. What does current 3 series mean? The current 3 series interior is better than the E90 (isn't hard the E90 interior was garbage). The Fords have cheap plastic and leather... VERY CHEAP LEATHER. Ford Leather isn't dyed. They use a thin strip of leather and then "Paint" the color on with a thin coat of accrylic like paint. Yes the interiors now are light years ahead of old fords but to say they are close to a BMW interior... What ever integrity you have was voided.
You do understand that Dakota leather in normal 3 series, like the one you have, is also "painted/coated" with polyurethane, right? Unless you have the M3 Napa leather, you cannot get "dyed" leather in a 3 series. You can still argue that BMW coated leather is better than Ford coated leather, which is possible, but if you were thinking you were sitting on semi aniline leather in your 328i, then well, you probably shouldn't be commenting on leather quality to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #301
XtoM
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4. Soon......

Ford has announced the long-awaited new generation Mustang and confirmed that the car will be officially imported to the UK. As a result, the new model is to be made in right-hand-drive and, for the first time, it will be fitted with a system called ‘steering’.

‘This is the most technically advanced Mustang we’ve ever made,’ said chief engineer Stopp Hammertime. ‘For example, the new ‘steering’ facility takes the circular driver’s grab handle, airbag mount and iPad rest of the previous Mustang and, for the first time, connects it to a series of shafts, pinions and racks in order to permit the driver to take control of the front wheels, thereby allowing them to negotiate road conditions such as ‘cowners’. Am I pronouncing that right? Cornours? Whatever it is you Limeyass people call the parts between straightaways.’

Hammertime also noted that the new Mustang will finally get rid of the solid rear axle of previous generations. ‘That’s right,’ he confirmed. ‘Now we’ve gotta sell the ‘Stang in Yewrope the back axle is gonna have something called ‘inderpenderdent suspendionisation’. I think that’s how it’s pronounced. To be honest with you, on the development team we just called it the Pinko Commie ****** Axle… WHY ARE YOU SIGHING?’

haha
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #302
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

good vid i watch last night about the mustang and its global direction

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #303
paddy335
Major
Rep
Drives: M140i;X5 40d

I think it is great they are making an effort to bring these cars to new markets, and in RHD (along with the UK it is also coming to NZ and Australia as an official model). I hope other American manufacturers follow suit.

It's a pity they'll be bloody expensive in these markets though. I expect the performance Mustang (whatever model that is) will be in a similar price range to the M3/4 in New Zealand. Which instantly makes it an ultra-niche option (i.e. for rich bogans (rednecks)).
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #304
Ashley Schaeffer BMW
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtoM View Post
Ford has announced the long-awaited new generation Mustang and confirmed that the car will be officially imported to the UK. As a result, the new model is to be made in right-hand-drive and, for the first time, it will be fitted with a system called ‘steering’.

‘This is the most technically advanced Mustang we’ve ever made,’ said chief engineer Stopp Hammertime. ‘For example, the new ‘steering’ facility takes the circular driver’s grab handle, airbag mount and iPad rest of the previous Mustang and, for the first time, connects it to a series of shafts, pinions and racks in order to permit the driver to take control of the front wheels, thereby allowing them to negotiate road conditions such as ‘cowners’. Am I pronouncing that right? Cornours? Whatever it is you Limeyass people call the parts between straightaways.’

Hammertime also noted that the new Mustang will finally get rid of the solid rear axle of previous generations. ‘That’s right,’ he confirmed. ‘Now we’ve gotta sell the ‘Stang in Yewrope the back axle is gonna have something called ‘inderpenderdent suspendionisation’. I think that’s how it’s pronounced. To be honest with you, on the development team we just called it the Pinko Commie ****** Axle… WHY ARE YOU SIGHING?’

haha
Ive noticed that every person that has a "M4 soon" or "M235i/M2 soon" listed in what they drive is a troll.

Judging by the content of your posts, if you arent a troll you are 18 and waiting on daddy to buy you the car if you get at least a 3.0 GPA this semester. You know, you gotta work hard for that new car....
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #305
Justin*
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW M3

[QUOTE=checkmate;15082245]You should sit inside the new corvette. Pisses on my current M3 for sure.[QUOTE]

I respectfully disagree with that statement. Having sat and rode in the new C7; it is the nicest corvette interior to date for sure. I'd even venture to say as nice as the e9x M cars but I certainly wouldn't say it is better. I can assure you that the clips and fasteners beneath all the leather wrapping is the same old cheap plastic garbage. This is coming from someone whom owns neither and is looking at both subjectively as a possible future acquisition. If you're like me; your opinion could be falling victim of the fact you've been living the M interior for sometime now making it ho hum and boring while the C7 is new and exciting. I get bored with my cars and want to change just because. It's horrible!
      12-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #306
Justin*
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM3S View Post
Ive noticed that every person that has a "M4 soon" or "M235i/M2 soon" listed in what they drive is a troll.

Judging by the content of your posts, if you arent a troll you are 18 and waiting on daddy to buy you the car if you get at least a 3.0 GPA this semester. You know, you gotta work hard for that new car....
That's pretty funny. I hadn't given it much thought; but, you might be on to something. Why would you list some future car if you already drive a great car? Why wouldn't you list your current awesome car and then change what you drive when you upgrade. Hmm, now I pretty much have to look to see if someone is saying they drive an M4 soon before I invest in what they have to say.
      12-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #307
Justin*
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradb View Post
I, for one, track my car. If there's one thing I've found, modded Mustang GT's on the track are ridiculously fast. We're talking GT-R fast, as I've raced with both at the same time. Since this new S550 Mustang GT is using the same Coyote 5.0 (sans for some minor tweaks and Boss 302 parts now), we're going to have a slew of cheap performance parts from day 1. You can get 850HP+ SC kits on these things for under $7k. Ford has an entire lineup of Ford Racing parts for the new Coyote 5.0 already. If you want a serious track car, and don't care to break the bank (drop $50k+ on mods) hands down the Mustang GT will be the better buy.

Then again, this thread may be geared more towards OEM vs OEM, but this is an important fact to remember. How much are the SC kits going for on the E9x M3? $20k+? Everything is more expensive because they know they can charge you more, not because the parts are better. However, one thing every long-term owner of either will have to face is maintenance and costs related to that. The Mustang will be FAR cheaper to work on and maintain. And from what I've heard, the Coyote 5.0 is a more reliable V8 than the S65 in the M3 is.
^This, you sir are very wise. I agree with you completely. I'm in love with the S65 sound, how it revs to the moon, the fact I can get it in a four door. The interior is awesome as well. However, being a Mustang guy at heart as well. Performance per dollar, the mustang is the clear winner especially when you start talking about modifications. I'm still going to end up with an e90 fitted out like my sig says eventually; unless I just turbo charge the e46 (not likely). For a track car though; the new GT would be extremely difficult for me to pass up.
      12-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #308
paddy335
Major
Rep
Drives: M140i;X5 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM3S View Post

Why did you take such offense to his witty little tongue-in-cheek post?
Appreciate 0