Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

07-27-2018, 10:00 PM   #45
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

It's all a matter of personal preference. For me, if it's mainly a track car, stripper. If it's a daily driver or even a weekend car, as loaded as you can get. A loaded F80/82 isn't all that impressive vs. the competition options-wise, so you kinda have to add the options to make it competitive IMO.
Appreciate 1
818M3329.50
      07-28-2018, 06:38 AM   #46
Kevin M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3

Loaded cars will have more depreciation.

I got my M3 with a few options. $68K mrsp for $60K sales price. ....to me, that makes this car a great value, and I think that will also be attractive in the used marketplace.

Tell me how someone who spent $80K is going to be able to recoup a higher percentage of the initial purchase price vs. a $60K car.
Appreciate 1
818M3329.50
      07-28-2018, 10:11 AM   #47
Hachima
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
2022 BMW X3M  [0.00]
2016 BMW 340Xi  [0.00]
$95k sticker price on mine. Recouping any of the original purchase price was never a consideration for me. I DD the car and plan on driving this car for several thousand hours luxury features that don't improve performance still improve my enjoyment of the car.

I ordered my first F30 w/o cameras etc. But these days even your cheap rental cars come with cameras and as I started using them it was something I stuck with for my next F30 and now my M3.

I think its one of those things where once you use a car with the features long enough to get accustomed to it its hard to go back. I miss some of the comforts of the F10 which I also drove for a while. For me the M550 for luxury aspects was a consideration over the F80 which to me was a bit more fun to drive.

Some of the main things I miss are miss rear seat comfort access (getting kids in the car) and the touch to close trunk (hands full of groceries and want to easily close the trunk with the press of a button)

For resale value I wonder how it would affect long term resale value. Short term selling at ~4 years old it may be harder to recover, but reselling the car at 10 years for someone like me that plans on keeping the car for a long time may have a lot easier time selling since today's luxury features are future generation standard features and will show it's age less than stripper cars.
Appreciate 1
818M3329.50
      07-28-2018, 10:34 AM   #48
3PedalMINI
Saving The Manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Manual 18 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hachima View Post
$95k sticker price on mine. Recouping any of the original purchase price was never a consideration for me. I DD the car and plan on driving this car for several thousand hours luxury features that don't improve performance still improve my enjoyment of the car.

I ordered my first F30 w/o cameras etc. But these days even your cheap rental cars come with cameras and as I started using them it was something I stuck with for my next F30 and now my M3.

I think its one of those things where once you use a car with the features long enough to get accustomed to it its hard to go back. I miss some of the comforts of the F10 which I also drove for a while. For me the M550 for luxury aspects was a consideration over the F80 which to me was a bit more fun to drive.

Some of the main things I miss are miss rear seat comfort access (getting kids in the car) and the touch to close trunk (hands full of groceries and want to easily close the trunk with the press of a button)

For resale value I wonder how it would affect long term resale value. Short term selling at ~4 years old it may be harder to recover, but reselling the car at 10 years for someone like me that plans on keeping the car for a long time may have a lot easier time selling since today's luxury features are future generation standard features and will show it's age less than stripper cars.
The problem with that thinking though is technology moves in leaps and bounds. It doesn't matter, the I drive in my 15 235 looked archaic compared to I drive 6.0 just three years later. The driver features like lane assist and things will be so far behind the times of future driver features your car might as well not have them at all.

The other problem is technology breaks, it's a fact of life. And the other major factor is there's a point when manufacturers have to stop supporting the software and hardware.

I'm in the technology field, (home integration and automation) and I constantly have to explain to my clients why this 120k system that was installed 10 years ago is archaic and no longer works with the new device they want to add to the system. My field is a luxury, the same with cars. But in the same breath technology in vehicles deteriorates to the point of not being usable in 5+ years. The major difference is I can upgrade your home, you can't with cars.

I don't disagree with why you checked every option. But to think this will help 10 years from now is wishful thinking. I think we will see a shift where people that want these cars 5-10 years from now would want a base model.

I was watching Doug Demuro's review of the Chiron and Bugatti purposely stuck with analog gauges and no center stack to keep the car timeless. I thought that was a huge sticking point. I understand why car manufacturers have to do digital this and that, but just like my I drive of 3 years ago it already looked dated. I mean look at Audi's MMI system from 10 years ago. It was cutting edge then and now when you look at the system it just looks painfully old.

M235i 5/1/2015 ED July 8th @ 4:40pm with PCD Delivery September 9th Gone July 2nd 2018
Appreciate 1
818M3329.50
      07-28-2018, 10:48 AM   #49
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

^ yup, a car with old style analog only instruments looks way better than one with an early model navi screen that now looks super janky and low res

It's nice for those 3-4 years when the tech is up to date though.
Appreciate 1
818M3329.50
      07-28-2018, 11:08 AM   #50
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3PedalMINI View Post
Quote:

The problem with that thinking though is technology moves in leaps and bounds. It doesn't matter, the I drive in my 15 235 looked archaic compared to I drive 6.0 just three years later. The driver features like lane assist and things will be so far behind the times of future driver features your car might as well not have them at all.

The other problem is technology breaks, it's a fact of life. And the other major factor is there's a point when manufacturers have to stop supporting the software and hardware.

I'm in the technology field, (home integration and automation) and I constantly have to explain to my clients why this 120k system that was installed 10 years ago is archaic and no longer works with the new device they want to add to the system. My field is a luxury, the same with cars. But in the same breath technology in vehicles deteriorates to the point of not being usable in 5+ years. The major difference is I can upgrade your home, you can't with cars.

I don't disagree with why you checked every option. But to think this will help 10 years from now is wishful thinking. I think we will see a shift where people that want these cars 5-10 years from now would want a base model.

I was watching Doug Demuro's review of the Chiron and Bugatti purposely stuck with analog gauges and no center stack to keep the car timeless. I thought that was a huge sticking point. I understand why car manufacturers have to do digital this and that, but just like my I drive of 3 years ago it already looked dated. I mean look at Audi's MMI system from 10 years ago. It was cutting edge then and now when you look at the system it just looks painfully old.
Agreed. Major reason why I coded my ID5 to ID6. Best mod I did and cost me nothing. Completely refreshes the look of the interior.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1
818M3329.50
      07-28-2018, 11:27 AM   #51
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 818M3 View Post
To all my fellow M enthusiasts, I am in a bind and would like some input perhaps. So, my plan is to do a build sometime soon. My question is whether to go with loaded car with everything minus CCB's or with nothing other than ZEC and that would be for the headlights only. What would you guys recommend?
you are going to pay $4k for headlights only that may look cooler but do not project any better than the non-ICON??
Appreciate 1
818M3329.50
      07-28-2018, 01:11 PM   #52
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drF80 View Post
Quote:
To all my fellow M enthusiasts, I am in a bind and would like some input perhaps. So, my plan is to do a build sometime soon. My question is whether to go with loaded car with everything minus CCB's or with nothing other than ZEC and that would be for the headlights only. What would you guys recommend?
you are going to pay $4k for headlights only that may look cooler but do not project any better than the non-ICON??
Yes. Always. And they do with some coding.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1
818M3329.50
      07-28-2018, 11:51 PM   #53
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
I'm coming from a fully loaded M4. Everything including CCB's and full leather. All the bells and whistles. This car will be a individual order and I plan on keeping it for long time. It will be a weekend driver for me, as I have a Honda as a DD. Besides the ZEC, what is essential to have? Does ZCP make a world of difference like some claim? Also, I feel like long term (if I ever sell) a car with low options in pristine condition with low miles will outweigh a car with tons of options, high miles and no so immaculate of a condition in terms of appeal to a used car buyer. I don't know.. Just what I'm thinking.
ZCP with individual paint if ur keeping her long term. Tranny of ur choice. Add CCBs and your good. Put aside $5k to Clear bra the whole car and tuck under all bottom edges.
Appreciate 1
818M3329.50
      07-29-2018, 12:21 AM   #54
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 - 6MT

I think that the HUD is a great option to have for this car if you ever plan to take it the track. You can actually note your entry speeds and the rpm without looking down. Yes, it is video gameish, but if you are under 40, then it is what you are used to anyway in all the driving sims

Also, leather is good if you plan to shuttle kids around.
Appreciate 1
818M3329.50
      07-29-2018, 12:28 AM   #55
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 - 6MT

Quote:

The problem gets worse over time when the flash/CMOS memory of the components gets corrupted, and it becomes impossible to get the hardware replacement parts. Suddenly, the whole thing becomes a brick because a critical component has failed. It will be interesting to see over the next decade how the late 90s car start to "age."
Appreciate 1
818M3329.50
      07-29-2018, 03:11 AM   #56
Donger Kim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY16 M3

Quote:
I did. I’m a sucker for exterior LCI’s. I really don’t like the cut holes in the bumpers for the sensors
Appreciate 2
818M3329.50
r0wr589.00
      07-29-2018, 12:39 PM   #57
818M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Geo Metro

Quote:

Short answer yes. Unfortunately, the headlights are not a standalone item and included only with ZEC. On a separate note, I am not sure where you got the $4k figure from??
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 01:05 PM   #58
Hawkeye1
Displaced Iowan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CP

I understand the decision can be daunting, but I didn't agonize over mine. I wanted a loaded ZCP, with moon roof, and got every option except CCB's. Finding one on a dealer's lot saved me about 10% vs. the cost of ordering one. I got lucky and the dealer was within a two hour drive. The only downside was the color, MW, but it's grown on me, and can be lovely in the right light. Several on the forum have noted that it's your car and a 'cheap' M3 is a contradiction. Get what you want. I wanted 'it all', and the only thing I don't really use is the lane keep assist. (I find it annoying, which probably gives some insight into my driving...)
2018 911 GT3 (Manual) - Mine
2013 911 S Cabriolet - Mostly mine
Appreciate 1
818M3329.50
      07-30-2018, 09:49 AM   #59
MRV99
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP / 2017 RRS SC

Garage List
2017 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I disagree that today's technology will be so outdated you should not even have it. A navigation system in my 04 545 msport provided me with directions to a location just like my 17 M3. Yes it did not give me 30 options to fine tune my path but it still provides directions.

I guess if you are so completely dependent on technology and can only function on the newest stuff then you should never buy a car

17 M3 ZCP -- 2017 Range Rover Sport SC
--RIP--
12 X5 50i Sport -- 11 M3 DCT -- 2011 X5 50i(Lemon) -- 2008 550 Msport -- 2007 x5 4.8 sport -- 2004 545 sport -- 2002 x5 4.4 sport -- 2001 540i Msport 2000 SL500 -- 1997 SL500
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 01:08 PM   #60
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV99 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I disagree that today's technology will be so outdated you should not even have it. A navigation system in my 04 545 msport provided me with directions to a location just like my 17 M3. Yes it did not give me 30 options to fine tune my path but it still provides directions.

I guess if you are so completely dependent on technology and can only function on the newest stuff then you should never buy a car
Well that's taking it to an extreme. You are not the average new car buyer. And the data shows that the average new car buyer cares about changes in technology. Same is true for the average used car buyer.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 01:16 PM   #61
MRV99
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP / 2017 RRS SC

Garage List
2017 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well that's taking it to an extreme. You are not the average new car buyer. And the data shows that the average new car buyer cares about changes in technology. Same is true for the average used car buyer.
"The driver features like lane assist and things will be so far behind the times of future driver features your car might as well not have them at "

How is what I posted any more extreme than what this states?

17 M3 ZCP -- 2017 Range Rover Sport SC
--RIP--
12 X5 50i Sport -- 11 M3 DCT -- 2011 X5 50i(Lemon) -- 2008 550 Msport -- 2007 x5 4.8 sport -- 2004 545 sport -- 2002 x5 4.4 sport -- 2001 540i Msport 2000 SL500 -- 1997 SL500
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 01:33 PM   #62
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

"The driver features like lane assist and things will be so far behind the times of future driver features your car might as well not have them at "

How is what I posted any more extreme than what this states?
I'm not his defender. I'm addressing your comments, which, to me, are extreme.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 03:54 PM   #63
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Quote:
Quote:
I paid $4k for holes in the seats.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 04:02 PM   #64
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I paid $4k for holes in the seats.
Truth. The leather non comp seats might as well be mini back saunas
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 09:02 PM   #65
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye1 View Post
I understand the decision can be daunting, but I didn't agonize over mine. I wanted a loaded ZCP, with moon roof, and got every option except CCB's. Finding one on a dealer's lot saved me about 10% vs. the cost of ordering one. I got lucky and the dealer was within a two hour drive. The only downside was the color, MW, but it's grown on me, and can be lovely in the right light. Several on the forum have noted that it's your car and a 'cheap' M3 is a contradiction. Get what you want. I wanted 'it all', and the only thing I don't really use is the lane keep assist. (I find it annoying, which probably gives some insight into my driving...)
Opposite for me - I see the fully loaded M3 as a contradiction and poor value. All that extra fluff really has little/no value when actually driving the car and some of it, as you've noted, is just annoying. Now, granted, I'm very cost conscious at 42 and am just getting up on plane in my career so the extra 10k for all that fluff makes a big difference to me. Even so, most of it I have no desire for other than leather.

I just want to hauls ass and listen to pandora in my M3, that's it. And so for me, the stripper ZCP in the mid 60s is where the value is at.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 09:55 AM   #66
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye1 View Post
Opposite for me - I see the fully loaded M3 as a contradiction and poor value. All that extra fluff really has little/no value when actually driving the car and some of it, as you've noted, is just annoying. Now, granted, I'm very cost conscious at 42 and am just getting up on plane in my career so the extra 10k for all that fluff makes a big difference to me. Even so, most of it I have no desire for other than leather.

I just want to hauls ass and listen to pandora in my M3, that's it. And so for me, the stripper ZCP in the mid 60s is where the value is at.
The words "value" and "cost conscious" aren't what I usually associate with M cars.
Appreciate 1
Ibiza3611.50