Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-06-2021, 05:38 PM   #67
MisterF80M3
Major
MisterF80M3's Avatar
900
Rep
1,079
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Change before start driving. Many oils have chemical compounds that attract moisture (Ester-based oils are the worst).
Now that Liqui Moly is out of the list.

Thoughts on this?

__________________
2018 BMW F80 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 06:35 PM   #68
JamesGames
Major
JamesGames's Avatar
United_States
1152
Rep
1,401
Posts

Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SOCAL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF80M3 View Post
Now that Liqui Moly is out of the list.

Thoughts on this?

BMW TPT 5w30 LL01 > TPT 0w30 LL01 FE(Fuel efficient thinner oil with lower HTHS).
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 02:01 AM   #69
kyrix1st
Lieutenant Colonel
kyrix1st's Avatar
Japan
1466
Rep
1,630
Posts

Drives: M3 Euro,E92M3 MT&DCT,M4ZCP
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: global

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
I would think that redline would be up there shear performance wise. Not exactly an extended drain interval oil, but good oil nonetheless. And no, none of their "performance" oils carries any certification.
__________________
Pass me if you can.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 11:16 AM   #70
edycol
Second Lieutenant
241
Rep
281
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i xDrive
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Colorado Springs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF80M3 View Post
Now that Liqui Moly is out of the list.

Thoughts on this?

If you are going TPT, go 5W30. Also, I think BMW is now sourcing oil from Castrol. Old SOPUS sourced TPT 5W30 was an exceptional oil. I would not be so sure about Castrol 5W30.
IMO, for M3, go LL01 (Not FE) 5W40. Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 would be my choice or Motul X-Cess 5W40 Gen2.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 11:17 AM   #71
edycol
Second Lieutenant
241
Rep
281
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i xDrive
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Colorado Springs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
I would think that redline would be up there shear performance wise. Not exactly an extended drain interval oil, but good oil nonetheless. And no, none of their "performance" oils carries any certification.
Redline is NOT long OCI oil. No oil that has a high amount of Ester should be high OCI oil. Esters oxidize like crazy. Shear is not an issue in Redline, but oxidation is. IMO any Redline (Performance, their professional stuff is repackage Kendal) is 5k miles oil.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 03:07 PM   #72
kyrix1st
Lieutenant Colonel
kyrix1st's Avatar
Japan
1466
Rep
1,630
Posts

Drives: M3 Euro,E92M3 MT&DCT,M4ZCP
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: global

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Redline is NOT long OCI oil. No oil that has a high amount of Ester should be high OCI oil. Esters oxidize like crazy. Shear is not an issue in Redline, but oxidation is. IMO any Redline (Performance, their professional stuff is repackage Kendal) is 5k miles oil.
Yes, I never use any engine oil over 3k/6 months in high performance engines, especially given my driving style and relevant oil analyses. Cheap insurance.
__________________
Pass me if you can.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 03:18 PM   #73
MisterF80M3
Major
MisterF80M3's Avatar
900
Rep
1,079
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF80M3 View Post
Now that Liqui Moly is out of the list.

Thoughts on this?

If you are going TPT, go 5W30. Also, I think BMW is now sourcing oil from Castrol. Old SOPUS sourced TPT 5W30 was an exceptional oil. I would not be so sure about Castrol 5W30.
IMO, for M3, go LL01 (Not FE) 5W40. Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 would be my choice or Motul X-Cess 5W40 Gen2.
Isn't the TPT 5w-30 LL04?

Is the TPT 0w-30 what BMW dealer use for oil change on F80?
__________________
2018 BMW F80 ///M3
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet2483.50
      04-07-2021, 04:06 PM   #74
edycol
Second Lieutenant
241
Rep
281
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i xDrive
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Colorado Springs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF80M3 View Post
Isn't the TPT 5w-30 LL04?

Is the TPT 0w-30 what BMW dealer use for oil change on F80?
It can be both LL01 or LL04. LL01 is especially stout. Noack of 6.2% and HTHS 3.6 makes it really stout. But that is SOPUS version.
Not sure what Catsrol will deliver.
As for 0W30, yes BMW uses in M3 due to CAFE requirements. It bumps MPG a bit, and makes BMW more CAFE compliant.
Appreciate 2
F32Fleet2483.50
      04-09-2021, 12:00 AM   #75
MisterF80M3
Major
MisterF80M3's Avatar
900
Rep
1,079
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
It can be both LL01 or LL04. LL01 is especially stout. Noack of 6.2% and HTHS 3.6 makes it really stout. But that is SOPUS version.
Not sure what Catsrol will deliver.
As for 0W30, yes BMW uses in M3 due to CAFE requirements. It bumps MPG a bit, and makes BMW more CAFE compliant.
If you can choose a kit from FCPEuro, which one would it be? I only shop at FCPEuro because of their lifetime warranty/replacement.

Pentosin 5w-30
BMW Twin Power Turbo 0w-30
Liqui Moly Molygen 5w-40
Liqui Moly Special Tec 5w-30
Liqui Moly Leichtlauf 5w-40

https://www.fcpeuro.com/BMW-parts/M3...=11&b=5&d=5147
__________________
2018 BMW F80 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 08:09 AM   #76
edycol
Second Lieutenant
241
Rep
281
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i xDrive
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Colorado Springs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF80M3 View Post
If you can choose a kit from FCPEuro, which one would it be? I only shop at FCPEuro because of their lifetime warranty/replacement.

Pentosin 5w-30
BMW Twin Power Turbo 0w-30
Liqui Moly Molygen 5w-40
Liqui Moly Special Tec 5w-30
Liqui Moly Leichtlauf 5w-40

https://www.fcpeuro.com/BMW-parts/M3...=11&b=5&d=5147
Pentosin! If you track vehicle, go Liqui Moly 5W40, any of those. They are a OK oils, but since you only shop there, not many options.
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2021, 03:56 PM   #77
IVM3
Second Lieutenant
166
Rep
220
Posts

Drives: 2016 M3
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

I appreciated your earlier advice on Valvoline Euro 5w40 being a good oil. I forgot to ask if it's good for track days. Maybe one track day a month between may and september? How often would you recommend changing the oil for such use? I only drive about 4k miles per year total.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 05:19 AM   #78
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
horsepower_and_hounds's Avatar
United_States
1547
Rep
3,975
Posts

Drives: '15 M4 BSM
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Charlotte

iTrader: (6)

If tracking I would for sure go with a 0w40 or 5w40...for sure not 30
__________________
IG: horsepower_and_hounds
'15 M4 BSM DCT CCB, '15 Alfa Romeo 4c coupe "sold", '18 M2 "sold", '15 M4 "totaled", '14 M235 "sold", '09 128i "sold"
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 10:49 AM   #79
Jwild90
Private
United_States
33
Rep
55
Posts

Drives: 04'E46ZHP 20' F82M4Comp
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

very informative stuff here! thank you! edycol

so all this time I've been ordering cases of Motul specific 5w30 LL 01 FE just for s55 engines since it's approved by bmw... but reading what was said above seems like I should just run motul 5w40 xcess Gen 2?

i had bmw dealer perform first brake in service at 1200miles, and after that I did oil change at 5k miles using specific 5w30 every 5k interval... 15k is coming up soon, should I stay with specific or go with xcess?? it's my weekend warrior, mostly driven on streets and like to take it all the way up the rpm when ever i get a chance lol

my shop is authorized Motul dealer, and been getting 5w40 xcess Gen 2 in drums.....

thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 02:24 PM   #80
TopJimmy
Lieutenant Colonel
TopJimmy's Avatar
United_States
1344
Rep
1,808
Posts

Drives: BMW M3 F80
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Chester County, PA

iTrader: (1)

Thanks to edycol I'm stepping up from Motul Specific 5w30 to the 8100 X-cess Gen2 5w40 for some hard street use. Running E85 I'll be doing changes at 3K miles, or at 5K if running gasoline.

If I was tracking then I'd be running Red Line or the Motul Sport Ester in 5w40 and changing at 2.5-3K miles.
__________________
'18 F80 Base 6MT | FBOs | Kies Hub | Paul's E85 | Stock Turbos | 7 seconds 60-130
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 02:35 PM   #81
MisterF80M3
Major
MisterF80M3's Avatar
900
Rep
1,079
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Pentosin! If you track vehicle, go Liqui Moly 5W40, any of those. They are a OK oils, but since you only shop there, not many options.
I guess I will be going with Liqui Moly 5W40.

__________________
2018 BMW F80 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 05:10 PM   #82
kyrix1st
Lieutenant Colonel
kyrix1st's Avatar
Japan
1466
Rep
1,630
Posts

Drives: M3 Euro,E92M3 MT&DCT,M4ZCP
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: global

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
I wonder how Molygen 5w40 compares to Leichtlauf 5w40.
__________________
Pass me if you can.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 05:26 PM   #83
MisterF80M3
Major
MisterF80M3's Avatar
900
Rep
1,079
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
I wonder how Molygen 5w40 compares to Leichtlauf 5w40.
I am using Liqui Moly Molygen right now. It is not LL01 certified, which is why I was looking for another oil.
__________________
2018 BMW F80 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 11:28 PM   #84
kyrix1st
Lieutenant Colonel
kyrix1st's Avatar
Japan
1466
Rep
1,630
Posts

Drives: M3 Euro,E92M3 MT&DCT,M4ZCP
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: global

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF80M3 View Post
I am using Liqui Moly Molygen right now. It is not LL01 certified, which is why I was looking for another oil.
Not sure if it can pass LL01 as it has high ZDDP levels compared to the other variant. LM Leichtlauf VOA doesn't seem that impressive.
__________________
Pass me if you can.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 12:50 PM   #85
edycol
Second Lieutenant
241
Rep
281
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i xDrive
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Colorado Springs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
Not sure if it can pass LL01 as it has high ZDDP levels compared to the other variant. LM Leichtlauf VOA doesn't seem that impressive.
LL01 Zinc levels are on par API SL. They are very high, and there is no reason for any LM oil to fail that approval process bcs Zinc as they do not have Zinc above 1,200ppm.
I would bet on oxidation requirements as BMW approvals have ridiculously stringent oxidation requirements. That being said, for 5W40 oil made out of Group III base stocks not to be able to pass oxidation requirements of LL01 is a serious issue. Usually, oil with Easters and a lot of VII are the ones that have a problem getting BMW approvals.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 12:59 PM   #86
kyrix1st
Lieutenant Colonel
kyrix1st's Avatar
Japan
1466
Rep
1,630
Posts

Drives: M3 Euro,E92M3 MT&DCT,M4ZCP
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: global

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
LL01 Zinc levels are on par API SL. They are very high, and there is no reason for any LM oil to fail that approval process bcs Zinc as they do not have Zinc above 1,200ppm.
I would bet on oxidation requirements as BMW approvals have ridiculously stringent oxidation requirements. That being said, for 5W40 oil made out of Group III base stocks not to be able to pass oxidation requirements of LL01 is a serious issue. Usually, oil with Easters and a lot of VII are the ones that have a problem getting BMW approvals.
Some claim it is the UV dye (green color) that fails to pass LL01, but I have my doubts on that. The oil does have tungsten additives, around 190ppm combined with around 40 moly ppm.

__________________
Pass me if you can.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 10:01 PM   #87
edycol
Second Lieutenant
241
Rep
281
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i xDrive
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Colorado Springs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
Some claim it is the UV dye (green color) that fails to pass LL01, but I have my doubts on that. The oil does have tungsten additives, around 190ppm combined with around 40 moly ppm.

Nope. Nothing of those elements is going to prevent it to get approval.
So I went and checked on their website. Their 5W40 is not approved for any approvals. I would say there is something here serious since some approvals like VW502.00 or GM LL-025 are not particularly stringent.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 03:23 PM   #88
JamesGames
Major
JamesGames's Avatar
United_States
1152
Rep
1,401
Posts

Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SOCAL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
Some claim it is the UV dye (green color) that fails to pass LL01, but I have my doubts on that. The oil does have tungsten additives, around 190ppm combined with around 40 moly ppm.

There are many great approved oils that fit the daily driving role that I personally wouldn't even bother with molygen, especially at a cheaper cost. If you're looking for racing oils, that's a different can of worms, but personally Molygen isn't worth the premium over Castrol 0w40 / 0w30. Motul 5w40 Xcess Gen 2 can be had for a decent price as well. On motul site it links you over to eeuroparts . com and I paid 35 bucks per 5 liters. Hard to beat those two I mentioned.

Castrol 0w40 / 0w30 lost LL-01 but still carries MB 229.5 229.3 / Porsche A40, which are stringent approvals. From MSDS and UOA it seems like it's still pretty much the same formula. I still use it on a lot of my cars. Amazon / walmart sells 5 quart jugs for around 25 dollar typically as well.

Just my 2 cents
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST