INDustry distribution
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

06-25-2019, 08:49 AM   #23
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Totaled Toyota Celica :((

i remember doing the same...except I was coming out a bend on the highway and my car went fishtailing all over the road; then sideways; then facing oncoming traffic on 287. if it wasn't for those people driving like 50mph that day...I likely woulda have been tapped into the guardrail or trees and killed. A truck drove onto the shoulder to avoid me. Didnt even realize that car had stalled because those 5 seconds of trying to back up on to the shoulder I froze. I Don't hoon around on the road too much anymore; especially with adverse weather. That trailer could have launched me into the next dimension. Glad your okay OP; luckily for me my car and my body came out unscathed...and I learned that I always won't be so lucky.
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2019, 12:13 PM   #24
fackamato
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
i remember doing the same...except I was coming out a bend on the highway and my car went fishtailing all over the road; then sideways; then facing oncoming traffic on 287. if it wasn't for those people driving like 50mph that day...I likely woulda have been tapped into the guardrail or trees and killed. A truck drove onto the shoulder to avoid me. Didnt even realize that car had stalled because those 5 seconds of trying to back up on to the shoulder I froze. I Don't hoon around on the road too much anymore; especially with adverse weather. That trailer could have launched me into the next dimension. Glad your okay OP; luckily for me my car and my body came out unscathed...and I learned that I always won't be so lucky.
Ouch. Traction control on/off?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 12:35 PM   #25
Mofem
Registered
Rep
Drives: M2 Bmw

Thank God you are alright and itís just the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 02:31 PM   #26
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fackamato View Post
Ouch. Traction control on/off?
on...possible mdm. but it can only do so much....but it probably saved my life that day
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 10:05 PM   #27
M4 member
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
If anyone is interested in an undamaged right LED headlight message me.

Also, if anyone is selling a right LCI Headlight let me know haha
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 09:29 AM   #28
Tommy_M4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4 member View Post

PM me a price to NY 11421.
      06-27-2019, 09:48 AM   #29
Drj161
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw x5 e53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_M4 View Post
Quote:

PM me a price to NY 11421.
Do you have a white m4 with front damage? and roam around Jamaica ave?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 10:02 AM   #30
Tommy_M4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drj161 View Post
White M4, but no damage, I'm from the area.
      06-27-2019, 10:50 AM   #31
Drj161
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw x5 e53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_M4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drj161 View Post
White M4, but no damage, I'm from the area.
Hmm think I've seen you seen a couple white m4s around the area lately.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 09:40 AM   #32
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3/2011 1M

Look, I'm glad you are ok, and I hope maybe this serves as a great reminder to everyone, that doing 70 in the rain is not a good idea.
Railgun892.00
minn195399.50

06-30-2019, 09:59 AM   #33
noone
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaralt View Post
oh wow... i would push for total loss on the car.. bent frame rail will make your car worth A LOT less
Is frame damage a relatively a painless total loss claim with insurance?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 04:02 AM   #34
M4 member
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Update 2.0: sad news.... I got a call today that they decided to declare it totaled. I am very sad about my car. I loved it more than any other car I have ever owned.
I have received my insurance check and now looking for another car before my rental vehicle has to be returned in a little over a week. I am deciding to get another M4 exactly like the one I had, or maybe a Mercedes AMG C63S Coupe. Let me know what you guys think and your opinions. I'd love to know. Thanks for all of your support and help. I appreciate you all!

In remembrance of my beloved AY M4 I am attaching my favorite pic of it. I hope you all like it as much as I do, or did....
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      07-02-2019, 06:32 AM   #35
mbiondo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera 4S (997.2)

with a pic like that, how can you not get another AY M4? Unless, of course, you're thinking of upgrading to an M3. That's right, I said it!!
Appreciate 2
      07-02-2019, 06:33 AM   #36
2011zx10R
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Look, I'm glad you are ok, and I hope maybe this serves as a great reminder to everyone, that doing 70 in the rain is not a good idea.
Not advisable but with the right tire 70 mph is a cake walk in the rain.

Conti DWS 06 can do 70+++ all day in pouring rain! Not advisable but I've don't it no problem even hitting pockets of semi deep water on the hwy... but again not advisable

Op glad insurance took care of the total loss!

see if you can find a deal on a newer Competition Package M4!

The MB C63 is nice...
Appreciate 2
      07-02-2019, 09:01 AM   #37
DMW2315
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreventador View Post
Hydroplaned once with MPSS, when I had first got the car. I was so used to driving SUV's and didn't think much about the possibility of hydroplaning.
Obviously, AWD vs RWD, tread depth, speed, road conditions, etc all come in to play but speaking from a tire tread design standpoint...

I'm not sure your theory is correct here. Typically, SUVs will come with all-season tires (all-terrain tires or grand touring tires) which are meant for all seasons and "good" in the snow ("great" in the snow I reserve for winter tires) so the trade off is less dry/wet performance.

However - with that being the case, that usually means that the tread pattern of all-season tires are designed for all-season tractability and is not designed for water evacuation that max performance tires are designed/known for (do not confuse max performance tires for extreme performance tires i.e. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S vs Michelin Pilot Cup 2 as extreme performance tires are not great in wet as it's main priority is dry traction).

I would think you would be more susceptible to hydroplaning in an SUV (or any car for that matter) with all-season tires than a high performance car with max performance tires. (Of course if comparing apples to apples with tread depth, speed, road conditions, etc).
2000 E39 540i SPORT 6MT
2012 E92 ///M3 6MT (SOLD)

Last edited by DMW2315; 07-02-2019 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 1
minn195399.50

07-02-2019, 09:12 AM   #38
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011zx10R View Post
Not advisable but with the right tire 70 mph is a cake walk in the rain.

Conti DWS 06 can do 70+++ all day in pouring rain! Not advisable but I've don't it no problem even hitting pockets of semi deep water on the hwy... but again not advisable

Op glad insurance took care of the total loss!

see if you can find a deal on a newer Competition Package M4!

The MB C63 is nice...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMW2315 View Post
Obviously, AWD vs RWD, tread depth, speed, road conditions, etc all come in to play but speaking from a tire tread design standpoint...

I'm not sure your theory is correct here. Typically, SUVs will come with all-season tires (all-terrain tires or grand touring tires) which are meant for all seasons and "good" in the snow ("great" in the snow I reserve for winter tires) so the trade off is less dry/wet performance.

However - with that being the case, that usually means that the tread pattern of all-season tires are designed for all-season tractability and is not designed for water evacuation that max performance tires are designed/known for (do not confuse max performance tires for extreme performance tires i.e. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S vs Michelin Pilot Cup 2).

I would think you would be more susceptible to hydroplaning in an SUV (or any car for that matter) with all-season tires than a high performance car with max performance tires. (Of course if comparing apples to apples with tread depth, speed, road conditions, etc).
agreed. to add on. no matter what your tire can do no point of speeding on the highway in the rain. too many variables. idiot drivers; potholes; poor drainage; random gradient changes leading to huge puddles. closed track go for it....once again my perspective changed a lot when I was spun 180 degrees on i-287 and had a 18-wheeler cocked in my sight
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 10:37 AM   #39
Bimmer Pleaser
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 C43

Quote:
Update 2.0: sad news.... I got a call today that they decided to declare it totaled. I am very sad about my car. I loved it more than any other car I have ever owned.
I have received my insurance check and now looking for another car before my rental vehicle has to be returned in a little over a week. I am deciding to get another M4 exactly like the one I had, or maybe a Mercedes AMG C63S Coupe. Let me know what you guys think and your opinions. I'd love to know. Thanks for all of your support and help. I appreciate you all!

In remembrance of my beloved AY M4 I am attaching my favorite pic of it. I hope you all like it as much as I do, or did....
brah, Sorry about your accident but how is that sad news? You do realize that a frame damage gets on Carfax and plummets the resale value even if the damage was minor and got repaired perfectly? I am glad the insurance company didn't mess around with this, a lot of them try to save a few dollars by cutting corners.
Appreciate 1
minn195399.50

07-02-2019, 10:54 AM   #40
cionide
Private First Class
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP

What the hell is wrong with the roads over there? I have never hydroplaned once in Poland in any car. Are your highways not angled off to the sides?
      07-02-2019, 12:01 PM   #41
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cionide View Post
What the hell is wrong with the roads over there? I have never hydroplaned once in Poland in any car. Are your highways not angled off to the sides?
lmaoooo. theres a new method of re-paving which is essentially like sealing your driveway. cheap and can brush the problem off to the next person. leading to gradients and poor drainage
Appreciate 1
ItsGary1232.50

07-02-2019, 12:12 PM   #42
Smeargle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZCP F80 6MT

+1 on the comment about upgrading to an m3. glad you're ok though
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 02:33 PM   #43
maul3d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 AY M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cionide View Post
I visited Poland last year. These cars were built for those roads, depending what region.

Your 140km/h speed limits are awesome , and the fact that Noone even obeys them, amd travels 180+ , with proper driving etiquette makes it even more enjoyable. Far much more the the germam Autobahn.

OP / sorry to hear about your car. Glad you weren't hurt. I would make sure you take a longer and extended drive in the c63 prior making that decision. Wouldn't want to regret it.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 02:54 PM   #44
HarrisoneliF82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Black F82

Quote:

Wow cant believe it was totaled out, looked like minimum damage.
Appreciate 0