EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-14-2019, 07:10 PM   #23
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
pikkagtr's Avatar
United_States
2164
Rep
2,161
Posts

Drives: 2018 AW F80
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

The s55 is in fact quite a LOt faster in a straight line
You can easily , for not much $$$ , trap 120+mph in the 1/4
Simple flash will bet that and then some
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 10:19 PM   #24
Arcades
Lup's Kid
Arcades's Avatar
Taiwan
2168
Rep
3,547
Posts

Drives: 18' Grigio Medio F80
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mictang View Post
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and inputs, i read them all and they are greatly appreciated.


Your above comments caught my attention so I want to respond and also maybe give others some reference.

I actually have a F11 5 series and a regular E90 so I knew the new chassis has so much better interior, If i simply had the money to spend and no to care I probably would just get the F82 for the better interior alone.

So yes I knew very well the F82 is an overall better car and what I wasn’t so sure about is if I should pay 40% more for it. It’s more of a personal judgement(preference) rather than factual debate so I don’t see why this would lead to a “shouting match”.

I guess what i really wanted to hear was from people with real-world experience on both cars shedding some light on things that aren’t obvious like the power delivery, interior, maintenance costs, etc.

Moving on...
Preference is exactly what it is, preference. Why do some people choose the AMG C63S over the F80/F82? Because of AMG's V8. Why would someone else choose the Audi RS5 B9 over the F80/F82? Because of the Sportback, interior design of the Audi and the GT feel of the new RS5. That is what you need to ask yourself. What are you looking for because everyone here has a personal opinion that might not align yours.

Facts on the E92 M3 and it's S65 engine are extremely well known at this point. That car has been out since 2007. Everything that can be known about that car is more or less known about it. There is no way an NA V8 would have the early torque feel of a Twin Turbo I6. That is literally engineering, the only way you can bypass it is to just Supercharge the S65. That is why the Turbo is there for the S55, for the torque. You have about 100+ more lbs-ft of torque between the two cars.

Performance cars like these are purely preference at this point. Here is some advice (Not trying to be douchy), write down a list of what you are looking for in a car. Then see which one of these cars checks the most off of your list, then you have your answer. I would also never take "engine modding" or "ecu tuning" into account because at that point you aren't comparing properly. The F82 is just a faster car if you do the same amount of stuff to the E92.

Some would still choose the E92 M3 purely for the high revveing V8, while others would choose the TT I6 because of the brute force feel of the early torque. If you are looking for a 911 down the line, then I'd just say wait and get the 911 instead of going in between. Save yourself the $ and get the Porsche later.
__________________
'18 Grigio Medio/Nutmeg BMW F80 M3 Competition "Stella" // '17 Mahogany Metallic/Black Porsche Macan S "Gisele"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
You're making babies for me!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 09:01 AM   #25
10biie89
Private First Class
10biie89's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
124
Posts

Drives: 18 F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: OC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Preference is exactly what it is, preference. Why do some people choose the AMG C63S over the F80/F82? Because of AMG's V8. Why would someone else choose the Audi RS5 B9 over the F80/F82? Because of the Sportback, interior design of the Audi and the GT feel of the new RS5. That is what you need to ask yourself. What are you looking for because everyone here has a personal opinion that might not align yours.

Facts on the E92 M3 and it's S65 engine are extremely well known at this point. That car has been out since 2007. Everything that can be known about that car is more or less known about it. There is no way an NA V8 would have the early torque feel of a Twin Turbo I6. That is literally engineering, the only way you can bypass it is to just Supercharge the S65. That is why the Turbo is there for the S55, for the torque. You have about 100+ more lbs-ft of torque between the two cars.

Performance cars like these are purely preference at this point. Here is some advice (Not trying to be douchy), write down a list of what you are looking for in a car. Then see which one of these cars checks the most off of your list, then you have your answer. I would also never take "engine modding" or "ecu tuning" into account because at that point you aren't comparing properly. The F82 is just a faster car if you do the same amount of stuff to the E92.

Some would still choose the E92 M3 purely for the high revveing V8, while others would choose the TT I6 because of the brute force feel of the early torque. If you are looking for a 911 down the line, then I'd just say wait and get the 911 instead of going in between. Save yourself the $ and get the Porsche later.
Well said
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 09:04 AM   #26
Obioban
Emperor
785
Rep
2,125
Posts

Drives: 05 M3, 04 M3iT , 01 M5, 17 i3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: West Chester, PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3 Wagon  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
If you like torque, get the f8X. If you like a revvy NA engine, get the e9X.

I'd get the e9X over the F8X every time. Torque is boring.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 03:23 PM   #27
Keca10
Private First Class
Keca10's Avatar
United_States
108
Rep
168
Posts

Drives: ‘18 BMW M3 ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: USA

iTrader: (1)

This is great advice. I like the idea of making a list and ranking what’s important.

At the end just drive the cars and look what you fall in love with.
This is an emotional based purchase - no one buys a sports car for logical reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Preference is exactly what it is, preference. Why do some people choose the AMG C63S over the F80/F82? Because of AMG's V8. Why would someone else choose the Audi RS5 B9 over the F80/F82? Because of the Sportback, interior design of the Audi and the GT feel of the new RS5. That is what you need to ask yourself. What are you looking for because everyone here has a personal opinion that might not align yours.

Facts on the E92 M3 and it's S65 engine are extremely well known at this point. That car has been out since 2007. Everything that can be known about that car is more or less known about it. There is no way an NA V8 would have the early torque feel of a Twin Turbo I6. That is literally engineering, the only way you can bypass it is to just Supercharge the S65. That is why the Turbo is there for the S55, for the torque. You have about 100+ more lbs-ft of torque between the two cars.

Performance cars like these are purely preference at this point. Here is some advice (Not trying to be douchy), write down a list of what you are looking for in a car. Then see which one of these cars checks the most off of your list, then you have your answer. I would also never take "engine modding" or "ecu tuning" into account because at that point you aren't comparing properly. The F82 is just a faster car if you do the same amount of stuff to the E92.

Some would still choose the E92 M3 purely for the high revveing V8, while others would choose the TT I6 because of the brute force feel of the early torque. If you are looking for a 911 down the line, then I'd just say wait and get the 911 instead of going in between. Save yourself the $ and get the Porsche later.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 05:15 PM   #28
Humdizzle
Captain
555
Rep
650
Posts

Drives: 2010 ferrari 458
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Missouri

iTrader: (0)

Yup make a list and decide what's important.

I was dead set on an e92, but after driving an F80. and realizing that I already had a more powerful, higher revving, better sounding,V8 in the garage.... the f80 choice was clear because it was better in every other way. And the amount of depreciation I would face on the used F80 wasn't that bad. Of course not as solid as e92 comp prices.

I would say that modding should be taken into account. The E92 isn't going to get much faster without some serious money on your end. like $5000-6000+ supercharger install on your end for 500whp.

You can achieve the same goal in the F80 with a $600 tune and no hardware changes. in a car that's already the same weight if not a bit lighter.
__________________

2010 Ferrari 458
2015 SSII F80 6MT
2009 Honda Civic
Previous: E36 M3 | E46 M3 | R35 GTR | FR-S | F30 335i
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 01:42 AM   #29
CanAutM3
Lieutenant General
CanAutM3's Avatar
Canada
10050
Rep
16,187
Posts

Drives: 2019 M4cs
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 BMW M4cs  [0.00]
2018 Audi RS3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mictang View Post
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and inputs, i read them all and they are greatly appreciated.



Your above comments caught my attention so I want to respond and also maybe give others some reference.

I actually have a F11 5 series and a regular E90 so I knew the new chassis has so much better interior, If i simply had the money to spend and no to care I probably would just get the F82 for the better interior alone.

So yes I knew very well the F82 is an overall better car and what I wasn’t so sure about is if I should pay 40% more for it. It’s more of a personal judgement(preference) rather than factual debate so I don’t see why this would lead to a “shouting match”.

I guess what i really wanted to hear was from people with real-world experience on both cars shedding some light on things that aren’t obvious like the power delivery, interior, maintenance costs, etc.

Moving on...





I noticed the lack of low end torque when i drove the M3, it didn’t feel like a 420hp car, but it kicked nicely after 7000 or so rpm with this surge in power. So I would say you guys are both right, S55 would “feel” much faster and in reality faster but not huge difference.


Oh and for those who might be in similar shoes like me, I just want to mention I don’t have to pay as much more in repair and maintenance costs for the E92 as labor is cheap in my region anyways. With my experience owning the regular E90 I am prepared for somewhat often nuisances here and there.

I have the money to pay for the extra gas, tax, and insurance (again insurance is minor difference in my region so check those info from where you live before you buy) too just wasn’t sure about coughing up the extra cash for the car itself, no one should buy a used performance car spending all of the budget I just want to add.


I am searching for the E92 quite extensively now and it does seem to be a good time to buy them as the last few recent year low mileage examples are fading away and price has somewhat bottomed out, the F82’s price is quite stiff in my area due to it being such a nice car.
Dont be mistaken, the F82 is leaps and bounds faster than an E92...
__________________
///M4cs 2019 F82 Lime Rock Grey
MPE / CF Mirror caps / MP-HAS / GC Camber plates
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 09:04 PM   #30
sna66
Private First Class
Trinidad_and_tobago
39
Rep
166
Posts

Drives: F83 SS on SS
Join Date: May 2014
Location: South FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I have two E9X M3s and one F80 CS.

I would never pay 200k more for the F8X generation than the E9X car.

If both are only used on the street the advantages of the F8X generation are pretty slim to me. On the street either is in the go-to-jail category after a few seconds of pushing the car, but the E9X has much better steering and sounds significantly better.
I disagree
The tq monster s55 will feel dramatically faster on the street where most likely the car will be driven ie mid-range
On the track the e92 is much better where you can rev it out
Try passing a van going up a hill in 4th at 2500 in the e92
Exactly... the "fun" usable power in the f8x on the street is more accessible than on the e9x
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 10:50 AM   #31
EricSMG
Captain
454
Rep
701
Posts

Drives: E46 M3
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Dont be mistaken, the F82 is leaps and bounds faster than an E92...
x1000

I've owned both cars and the F8X is mind-blowingly faster in the real world. No contest at all. One of the few times "night and day" is actually appropriate. Yes, it is laggy/slow below 3krpm but from that point on it's a ROCKET all the way to redline. Just 1/4 throttle will put football fields on normal traffic, in pretty much any gear. Conversely, the E9XM needs to be revved into the middle-upper tach JUST to keep up with normal traffic. HUGE, HUGE difference.

It's also much, much more precise in the handling department, has a crazy rigid chassis and looks 10 times better on a bad day.

There has never been such a big step "up" between generations (I've owned all save for E30M). Each model has its strenghts and weaknesses (from a driving standpoint, purely) but the F8X package is bonkers thrilling to drive and extremely well rounded.

I'll that said, I'm considering getting back into the E9XM from my current E46M and so I'm struggling with the same challenge as OP. The challenge is that used F8X ZCP cars are now ~$50K. It's hard to justify a $35K E92 M3 when for 15k more you can get a vastly superior machine.

ONE IMPORTANT CAVEAT TO BE FAIR: The E9XM is actually the the most thrilling of all models IF totally unleashed. Meaning, if you REALLY hammer on it and keep the motor at/near redline consistently then it blows all of the others out of the water. The problem, here, is that this is not realistic aside from track usage, in which case it might be the least thrilling model. If I were going to use my car primarily as a track machine I'd pick the E9XM no question. A true jekyll and hyde machine, for what that's worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
If you like torque, get the f8X. If you like a revvy NA engine, get the e9X.

I'd get the e9X over the F8X every time. Torque is boring.
Except for when it's lacking. You and I both struggle with the E9XM for exactly this reason - it lacks urgency below 7krpm and thus is not exciting to drive. It NEEDS more torque in the midrange - not F8X levels, but more without question.
__________________

2018 F80 M3 ZCP 6MT AW/Black Cloth "stripper"
2004 E46 M3 6MT SG/Black

Last edited by EricSMG; 07-21-2019 at 11:16 AM..
Appreciate 2
      07-29-2019, 09:02 AM   #32
gtr2M3
Registered
1
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Echoing what many have already said, and just recently trading in my E92 for an F82, I’ll say that the F82 is sooooo much better IMO

The only thing I didn’t like about the E92 was that you HAD to rev the crap out of it to make it move.. F82, not so much

With that said, the exhaust note of the F82 might not be as sweet but I hope to work on that soon
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST