proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

07-14-2019, 01:15 PM   #89
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocurls View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
Congrats on the car and making it back!

This car is one of the easiest manuals ever. There's a significant amount of CPU assistance.

MT newbies, here's the exercise that will make you pretty decent at it in 10 minutes or less - practice getting the car into 1st gear fully with NO gas at all.

1) Start on level ground in an empty lot. (Foot off the brake and in neutral, you should not be rolling. Find a spot like this.)
2) Press the clutch all the way in. Keep your foot down.
3) Move the shift lever into 1st.
4) Let the clutch out slowly until the car begins to inch forward.
5) Hold it there until the car reaches approximately 5mph. KEY: Be patient! It will take several seconds the first few times you try this.
6) Let the clutch all the way out. There should be zero jerk and the car should now be rolling smoothly.
7) Press the clutch all the way in and hold.
8) With the clutch pedal still 100% depressed, apply the brake and stop the car 100%.
9) Move the shift lever into Neutral.
10) Let the clutch pedal out completely.
11) Repeat 20 times.

By the 20th time, you will become very familiar with the clutch engagement point (when the car begins to move). You will also realize that there's a range in there where you can modulate how strongly the clutch is engaged, and that the difference between a smooth takeoff, a stall, and everything in between is all about how much engagement you're dialing in relative to your speed.

Eventually, you'll speed things up by finely ramping up the "bite" during your takeoffs so that you're getting the car moving more aggressively while staying just within the limits of what the engine can do without stalling.

If you can consistently get the car fully engaged and rolling in 1st WITHOUT using any gas, you're well on your way to becoming really good at everything else. Then you'll fully understand when and how to use the gas to speed things up and smooth things out.
Very helpful advice..

Can you be this thorough about pulling into a garage spot? I'm worried to death that I'll end up putting my front end into the wall of my garage, so I essentially ride the clutch and brake enough to kinda coast.

But then I realize I stopped too close to the line where the garage door would come down so I have to slightly let the clutch out while depressing the brake to inch forward more. Happens every single time. I'm about to just strap pool noodles to the wall for the eventual situation.

By the time I step out of the car, it smells like burnt clutch.
You can use the same method you quoted to inch forward in your garage. If you need to move up a little bit, just gently let the clutch out until you creep forward and then hold the clutch there. Once you have moved far enough, clutch back in and brake and then park the car.
Appreciate 3
02M3ForMe4261.50
PhatLyfe985.00
myzmak2415.00
      07-16-2019, 01:48 AM   #90
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Very helpful advice..

Can you be this thorough about pulling into a garage spot? I'm worried to death that I'll end up putting my front end into the wall of my garage, so I essentially ride the clutch and brake enough to kinda coast.

But then I realize I stopped too close to the line where the garage door would come down so I have to slightly let the clutch out while depressing the brake to inch forward more. Happens every single time. I'm about to just strap pool noodles to the wall for the eventual situation.

By the time I step out of the car, it smells like burnt clutch.
Right, low speed stuff can be tricky.

What gator said - use the technique I described in the exercise above to apply just enough clutch engagement to move the car as desired. Assuming your garage is on relatively level ground, your M4 needs zero gas for anything between 0 and 3mph.

If your garage is level, practice getting the car in the garage with these rules:

1) clutch only, no gas OR brake
2) without going over 1 mph

Give yourself a solid 5 minutes to do this the first few times.

The key is to be extremely patient with yourself and very, VERY slowly lift the clutch pedal until there's just a small bit of movement. Do not lift any further. Push the pedal back down as soon as you're moving/when you're about to go faster than 1 mph, then lift it back to the same place (again, slowly) if you need more momentum. Rinse and repeat. Once you're in far enough, brake and shut things down.

If you do this carefully and patiently enough, you'll never build up enough speed to feel uncomfortable and you will have inched the car into the garage with zero clutch smell.

Trust yourself to get better and faster at this over time. Eventually, you'll be lifting the pedal higher to gain more speed (2mph! ). Your big learning will be that the clutch engagement "point" is not completely binary.
Appreciate 1
brocurls263.00
      07-16-2019, 09:01 AM   #91
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

I've been driving stick a while and my F30 wasn't my first time with a stick. But I will say bmw manuals are very easy to get the hang of you'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 11:29 AM   #92
FrenchiedadSF
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Update

Just got back to the hotel. Stalled x2 when I first got into the car driving it drive it off. After that, got the hang of upshifting and downshifting, but getting moving from 1st was a pain in the ass.

Had to get the feel for it and like many said, doesn't take much at all to get the grab point. Also got stuck in bumper to bumper traffic on way to hotel, scared for my damn life. Stressing and sweating bullets but no stalls, only some jerking of the car.

Any tips for trying to creep forward when in traffic? What I'm doing is essentially getting to the grab point where it'll collect speed up to say 5, and then clutch+brake hold till next movement?

Haven't come to a uphill yet. Scared to death about that situation.
hills no problem, car has anti roll feature haha. creep forward just takes practice. go get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for a few days, its forced learning
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 07:41 PM   #93
brocurls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mazdarati

Alright, so I pretty much have the stick shift figured out and confident in majority of situations, be it stop and go traffic or reversing, and now creeping into my garage.

My final dilemma is these damn hill starts/bumper to bumper traffic on an incline. Last night I spent about 20mins trying to figure this thing out in an industrial area. I managed to stall more times than I could remember and even did my first burnout accidentally. I felt utterly defeated as I had to drive off because I felt like I took some years off the engine parts.

I notice that as soon as I ease up on the clutch the revs dip (to around 750rpm-ish)..is my cue to start gassing it as soon as I depress the brake and before I start easing off the clutch? Or time the throttle input (trying to keep revs at 1k) before I anticipate the rev dip?
Appreciate 1
02M3ForMe4261.50
      07-16-2019, 07:49 PM   #94
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Alright, so I pretty much have the stick shift figured out and confident in majority of situations, be it stop and go traffic or reversing, and now creeping into my garage.

My final dilemma is these damn hill starts/bumper to bumper traffic on an incline. Last night I spent about 20mins trying to figure this thing out in an industrial area. I managed to stall more times than I could remember and even did my first burnout accidentally. I felt utterly defeated as I had to drive off because I felt like I took some years off the engine parts.

I notice that as soon as I ease up on the clutch the revs dip (to around 750rpm-ish)..is my cue to start gassing it as soon as I depress the brake and before I start easing off the clutch? Or time the throttle input (trying to keep revs at 1k) before I anticipate the rev dip?
For very steep inclines you should probably use the hand brake. In that case, you would set the hand brake so it is able to support the vehicle, then clutch out to the engagement point and start to give it a little gas while releasing the hand brake. This way the hand brake keeps you from rolling backwards while you are able to slip the clutch and little and get some forward momentum.

If it's not a steep incline then it's just a matter of being able to clutch out to the engagement point before the car starts to roll backwards (using the hill assist feature which will hold the car for about 2 seconds).
Appreciate 1
brocurls263.00
      07-17-2019, 01:36 PM   #95
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

Good to hear that you’re making progress.

As mentioned, your M4 has Hill Assist and will prevent you from rolling back on steep-enough inclines for about 2-3 seconds even if you’ve completely come off the brakes. Regardless, hill starts are about doing faster everything you do in other starts.

The steeper the hill, the faster you have to do everything. So, before finding an incline, step 1 is to get fast at regular level-ground starts. You will never be comfortable on a hill until you can consistently get the car moving quickly in normal situations.

To practice this, use the first clutch-only exercise above, but actually aim for getting fully into 1st as fast as possible. Remember to lift and hold in place until you’re going fast enough to let out the pedal completely. You’ll find that you’ll be lifting and holding the clutch higher to get the car up to proper speed more aggressively. Hold time will be shorter. The goal is to become well acquainted with the engagement point.

At some point, it’ll be impossible to get going any quicker without stalling the engine or having a very “rough” start. This is when you’ll need the gas.

To avoid unnecessary clutch wear (and smell), you want to dial in as little gas as possible. Before practicing the starts, put your car in neutral and practice spinning up the engine to 1500RPM, holding for 1 second, and letting it drop back. Repeat that until you get used to how far you have to push the pedal to get to 1500 (very little).

Go back to ramping up the speed of your starts on level ground, but this time, apply the gas to the “1500RPM” point and hold at the same time that you let out the clutch and hold. Again, be extremely patient with yourself - it is easy to give too much gas when rushed and you think you’re taking off too slowly. Just get both pedals to the right places and hold at the right places until the car is moving. Let the clutch out when you’re going fast enough (you can keep your foot on the gas if you want).

Practice this and aim to get faster at the whole thing. Once you can consistently and smoothly get the car moving and in gear on level ground fast, then find a really gentle incline and try your first hill starts. Find a steeper place to practice as you get used to your current spot and keep in mind that you’ll need to be faster still. Repeat. ��
Appreciate 1
brocurls263.00
      07-17-2019, 02:04 PM   #96
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quickly, literally everyone provide instructions at the same time. Fml

It's not that hard dude. Soon you'll be teaching people on forums all of your tricks
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 03:06 PM   #97
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlickk View Post
Bro. I did this 2 years ago. Only drove a manual 3 times never more than going around the block. Stalled 4 times on my way home. Stalled several times the first week once I learned the clutch point it all got easier from there.
Definitely got much better at it. Mostly nerves but over the hump there.

Biggest concern now is trying to do this damn pedal dance while on a hill. I'm either flooring it or not giving enough and the car jerks till it stalls. Pain in the ass, I'll be practicing more Monday night.
When on a hill, keep releasing the clutch slowly until you see the revs increase, then hold it there. Once light changes, give it a bit of gas and start releasing the clutch more. Easiest way to avoid rolling or flooring it.
      07-19-2019, 11:20 AM   #98
Bimmed Out
There Is No Substitute
Rep
Drives: Several 911's

OP, can you let me know the VIN? I want to avoid this car when it comes off lease.
Appreciate 8
brocurls263.00
gatorfast4994.50
PhatLyfe985.00
santiwan180.00
sna66507.50
Vegetable792.50
      07-19-2019, 11:38 AM   #99
espressoo
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 Comp|'23 X5 45e|'24 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler View Post
OP, can you let me know the VIN? I want to avoid this car when it comes off lease.
Funny but so true!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 12:29 PM   #100
brocurls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
lol damn, right in the feels man

DD: 2020 Mazda CrystalWhite CX-5 GT w/PP
Wife's: 2023 Audi S5 Sportback DistrictGreen Premium Plus w/Blk Optic Package
Appreciate 2
      07-19-2019, 03:05 PM   #101
SlickShift
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW E90 M3 ZCP, '21 X5 ZMP

I learned to drive a stick off the lot in a 325Ci back when those things were new. Good times. Good times. Like others have said, learning in a Honda is great practice. Luckily my girlfriend at the time had a 5-speed Accord. After 12 years of driving a stick I finally got an automatic. A tear was shed.
Retired: '00 323i, '06 325Ci, '09 135i, '06 Z4M Roadster, '93 525i, '76 2002, '14 X1, '14 M235i, '16 X4, '16 435i
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 01:37 PM   #102
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
LOLOLOLOL, it will have a new clutch by then and OP will have mastered it, hopefully the new clutch is covered under warranty.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 10:18 AM   #103
2011zx10R
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagekko View Post
LOLOLOLOL, it will have a new clutch by then and OP will have mastered it, hopefully the new clutch is covered under warranty.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagekko View Post

Quote:
😂
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 04:50 PM   #104
Bootiful_M3
Rep
Drives: 2017 f80 m3

The clutch on mine is one of the easiest ones I've tried. Basically let your foot off the clutch and your car will roll, almost no need to use the throttle.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 03:35 AM   #105
brocurls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Man, it feels like a lifetime ago how nervous I was about 6MT.

Now, the only issue is having my lazy ass put on socks+shoes, when I mainly like wearing sandals or my crocs.
Appreciate 3
Fugly M35068.00
sna66507.50
PhatLyfe985.00
      08-20-2019, 07:21 AM   #106
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:

Now, the only issue is having my lazy ass put on socks+shoes, when I mainly like wearing sandals or my crocs.
Sandals and a stick are totally doable!
Appreciate 1
JTM09384.00
      09-03-2019, 07:29 PM   #107
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

Quote:

Bro it great to hear your getting used to the 6mt. Not many brave souls left to go in raw without any my experience. Touche on your crocs comment

Last edited by PhatLyfe; 09-04-2019 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 1
brocurls263.00
      09-03-2019, 10:49 PM   #108
dryst
Registered
Rep
Drives: M4

Similar to OP I also picked up both my first BMW and 6MT around the same time...and really glad I took the chance instead of going with the DCT. That being said does anyone have tips driving in slow speeds?

In some situations I'll be crawling around 8mph preparing to stop & clutch in and all sudden need to quickly accelerate. Is it better to drop down to 1st or keep in 2nd (feels like it lugs/not sure if I need to slip the clutch a bit). I'm a bit clunky with both options right now... esp when shifting into 1st where it feels like the engagement point feels like its a lot closer to the floor than normal?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 07:04 AM   #109
brocurls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryst View Post
Similar to OP I also picked up both my first BMW and 6MT around the same time...and really glad I took the chance instead of going with the DCT. That being said does anyone have tips driving in slow speeds?

In some situations I'll be crawling around 8mph preparing to stop & clutch in and all sudden need to quickly accelerate. Is it better to drop down to 1st or keep in 2nd (feels like it lugs/not sure if I need to slip the clutch a bit). I'm a bit clunky with both options right now... esp when shifting into 1st where it feels like the engagement point feels like its a lot closer to the floor than normal?
Congrats man! Yeah, once you get pass the jitters it's not some insurmountable task as it may seem before.

If I'm going that slow, I'll just stick in 1st gear and have my left foot ready to clutch in. You can roll in 2nd gear that low but you might start bogging the engine and be forced to shift down anyways. If you need to hard accelerate from a very slow speed, probably best to shift down and gas it as lugging your engine isn't ideal.

If I'm wrong, somebody please step me and correct and enlighten us.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 08:30 AM   #110
sicck_m4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 Yas Marina M4

Rev it up moderately and ease off the clutch. If it starts to buck on you, punch the clutch back in and restart. Eventually you will find the sweet spot. Down shift on corners. Try to not stay on the clutch to long once you get the hang of the manual transmission.

Appreciate 0