Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

08-21-2015, 08:05 AM   #23
Falafel Combo
I can't heel toe!
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardZed View Post
Not to discourage you, but they are just following a flowchart from BMW and replacing the accelerometer is the first thing they try. Mine was replaced and when it kept happening, the next thing is to replace the entire strut.

Oddly enough my car did this code only on the track before replacing the strut, now with the new strut it only does it on the road or in parking lots. I've done two track days on the new strut with no problems, so go figure?

I do agree with you that it seems like it has to be a software issue. Keep taking it in if the code reoccurs, hopefully they'll eventually figure out a fix to this annoying problem.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1092996

Thanks for this post. I read your thread and I can really appreciate it.

I guess I am not bothered by the fact that they are perhaps following a "flow chart". It would be unreasonable of me to expect them to do otherwise?

Will keep you posted! Thanks again!
2012 6MT e92 M3 ZCP
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 05:13 PM   #24
YasM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A BMW

Send a message via AIM to YasM3
Quote:
Not to discourage you, but they are just following a flowchart from BMW and replacing the accelerometer is the first thing they try. Mine was replaced and when it kept happening, the next thing is to replace the entire strut.

Oddly enough my car did this code only on the track before replacing the strut, now with the new strut it only does it on the road or in parking lots. I've done two track days on the new strut with no problems, so go figure?

I do agree with you that it seems like it has to be a software issue. Keep taking it in if the code reoccurs, hopefully they'll eventually figure out a fix to this annoying problem.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1092996

Actually, for this particular issue there is no "flow chart" per say. Matter of fact, the system actually said to clear the fault since it has only occurred 2 times in Falafel's case. What is happening is (and we can watch this) there is a very fast amperage fluctuation in the acceleration sensor. It throws it out of range for a brief moment and sets the fault. BMW supplies a new harness with the sensor. Now, it may be an issue with a combination of things, but if they are supplying a new harness as well, I would guess there is some sort of internal resistance BMW is seeing in that harness(maybe pin contact just is not tight enough, who knows) which causes this sudden amperage spike. You can actually watch this fluctuation with the vehicle at a standstill as well monitoring it with BMW equipment. Obviously at a standstill it does not set the warning because it is not going out of range until the car is being driven and its intermittent.

Maynard- I have followed your thread as well and you have an interesting issue going on. In Falafel's case the issue lies in the sensor/harness and I am certain on that.
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2015, 12:02 PM   #25
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
Thanks darge82. Ok, maybe no set protocol yet on how to fix these, but they seem to be following the same steps as my dealer. Not sure if mine replaced the harness though at any step? Interesting mine has thrown the fault while parked a few times lately.

My dealer bluntly told me they don't know why mine does this and that the accelerometer is throwing a non-sense code (probably same as amperage out of range?).

Anyway mines due for 10k service soon, so we'll see if they have any new ideas for me.
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2015, 07:45 PM   #26
YasM3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks darge82. Ok, maybe no set protocol yet on how to fix these, but they seem to be following the same steps as my dealer. Not sure if mine replaced the harness though at any step? Interesting mine has thrown the fault while parked a few times lately.

My dealer bluntly told me they don't know why mine does this and that the accelerometer is throwing a non-sense code (probably same as amperage out of range?).

Anyway mines due for 10k service soon, so we'll see if they have any new ideas for me.
Yes, the accelerometer is setting a nonsense codes. It basically "freaks" out briefly which causes a very fast amperage change and causes the fault to set.

What exactly did they replace on your car? Both front Vertical accelerometers and both front EDC struts?

On Falafels car I can watch the sensor freak out. Only the right front while the car was sitting still. New sensor and harness, now its fine. They should have done a harness as well unless the parts department missed it when looking the parts up since the harness is "in conjunction" with the sensor means that it needs to be replaced with it. Look at your invoice it should be on there.
Appreciate 2
      08-24-2015, 09:27 PM   #27
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by darge82 View Post
Yes, the accelerometer is setting a nonsense codes. It basically "freaks" out briefly which causes a very fast amperage change and causes the fault to set.

What exactly did they replace on your car? Both front Vertical accelerometers and both front EDC struts?

On Falafels car I can watch the sensor freak out. Only the right front while the car was sitting still. New sensor and harness, now its fine. They should have done a harness as well unless the parts department missed it when looking the parts up since the harness is "in conjunction" with the sensor means that it needs to be replaced with it. Look at your invoice it should be on there.
Yes it's does appear they replaced the harness (cable for wheel acc required with new sensor) when they replaced to sensor the second time it was in. The third time in, they replaced the strut with presumably the same replaced sensor and cable from the previous visit. This is all only the right front side. For all I know it's the left front acting up now. Thanks again.
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 07:17 PM   #28
YasM3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes it's does appear they replaced the harness (cable for wheel acc required with new sensor) when they replaced to sensor the second time it was in. The third time in, they replaced the strut with presumably the same replaced sensor and cable from the previous visit. This is all only the right front side. For all I know it's the left front acting up now. Thanks again.

No problem. Very interesting. I wonder if the other side is now giving you fits.

Atleast for us, from what we have seen in the shop. The sensor/cable has fixed the issue. Your case may be slightly different since you track your car, maybe something else is going on. The cars we have done are not tracked. I wonder also if this problem gets bigger that BMW will come out with a software updated or something to change the sensitivity in that system so this does not happen. However I am no engineer so I am not sure on all the details on that sort of thing.
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2016, 11:04 PM   #29
Stryatch
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 F80 MW/SO

This happened to me tonight with 4K miles 5 min after filling it with gas! Won't go away though.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 05:19 AM   #30
Falafel Combo
I can't heel toe!
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryatch View Post
This happened to me tonight with 4K miles 5 min after filling it with gas! Won't go away though.
Definitely take it in, have it checked out. Mine has not returned since. That was 10k miles ago. Good luck.
2012 6MT e92 M3 ZCP
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2016, 11:30 AM   #31
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamiboyca View Post
So while not an M car, this happened to me about 2 years ago in an F10 except it was Sport mode that would not engage. Freaked my the F out - cause it came out of nowhere. It NEVER happened again.

Having worked in software - my only explanation is it was a software bug.
Sometimes you can do a series of things in a particular order that cause a bug to show up. Since this series of actions is completely by accident and only in this order can the issue be recreated, you never encounter it again. If its something serious or some component is damaged, it will happen again and you can take it in get it diagnosed.
I agree that it's likely a bug. I had my M4 tell me that my battery wasn't charging, but the car started up fine and never showed any signs of degradation. It happened twice on some random occasions, but never happened again.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 09:18 AM   #32
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by darge82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I agree that it's likely a bug. I had my M4 tell me that my battery wasn't charging, but the car started up fine and never showed any signs of degradation. It happened twice on some random occasions, but never happened again.
It is not a bug/glitch. It is an intermittent electrical failure within the acceleration sensor.

Also about your battery issue. That is not a glitch either. If you are getting that warning the car is telling you something is/was draining the battery at the time. You do not necessarily have to have a no start condition for it to be a problem. There are systems in place to prevent the car battery from completely dying and make it start. Just because your car started and you received the warning does not mean you do/did not have a problem.....
The dealer couldn't locate an issue, nor recreate the problem, so I'm going with glitch or gremlin until something major occurs.......if it occurs. My warnings occurred early last summer, so I think I'm good to go for now.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 04:03 PM   #33
Jim B
Wingman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

It's not a bug, it's a FEATURE!!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 04:03 PM   #34
shiftmr2t
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Tanzanite Blue 6spd

If it may be helpful to anyone - I posted a quick DIY for the accelerator sensor and cable replacement here -

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=136
Appreciate 0