GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

06-17-2019, 07:24 PM   #1
dezzracer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

DCT Sequential or Drive mode for daily driving?

So this being my first German hot rod I'm still in process of learning the car and how to drive it correctly .There are a lot of buttons and of course I have been experimenting. For laid back easy cruising I just leave it in the default efficient/auto/soft setting. For more aggressive driving I have my M 1 button set on sport sport sport, MDM, and auto. Seems to suit me fine for most conditions including those pesky Mopars that always seems to be calling me out. Lol. I haven't really decided on a good setting for the M2 button yet.

I've mainly been using the DCT auto function for all driving conditions because I guess I just assume it is smart and knows what it's doing and is in the right gear at the right time and l knows better than me.

However ...as I have become more comfortable with the car I am finding that using manual and shifting myself is A) funner and B) I believe I am discovering that I can choose which gear for any driving circumstance I am in better than the DCT can. For example if I punch it in Auto for the first two or three gears and then let off when I hit the speed limit it seems to hold the revs for way too long before it upshifts where as if I gas it aggressively in manual mode through first and second and then let off I can quickly upshift to third or fourth or fifth and immediately ease her down at a lower relaxed RPM if that makes sense.

Same with down shifting. It's kind of fun to hear the throttle blip as your down shifting and slowing for a stoplight or a corner. And even if you don't use the paddle shifter (or forget your in manual mode ) to downshift it does a pretty good job of dropping you down through the gears and putting the car in first for a complete stop or second for example for a corner. Just curios what most of you guys do when cruising the mean streets. I'm starting to lean towards always shifting the car myself. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and input.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 08:51 PM   #2
Humdizzle
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 ferrari 458

I've driven all of my DCT cars in manual mode. Auto mode takes the fun out of driving, and it can't predict what's ahead of you. Better to downshiff before a hill then to come to it in 7th, strain the motor at 1200rpm, then have it downshift.

Only time I use auto is so I can use my phone.

2010 Ferrari 458
2015 SSII F80 6MT
2009 Honda Civic
Previous: E36 M3 | E46 M3 | R35 GTR | FR-S | F30 335i
Appreciate 2
      06-17-2019, 09:42 PM   #3
M4BimmerChris
Street Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 BMW M4 AW

Current procedure

1: Seatbelt
2: Start engine
3: Change suspension to comfort steering sport plus and after cold start push into sport throttle
4: Switch into manual shifting mode on my DCT
5 Leave the house wake all the neighbors up through my drive through carport at my house.
6: Shift on the shift nob no paddles unless straight line driving.

Shifting on shift nob or paddles if personal preference

Once you start shifting in manual mode you’ll never want to stop
Appreciate 2
      06-18-2019, 01:31 AM   #4
dezzracer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4BimmerChris View Post
Current procedure

1: Seatbelt
2: Start engine
3: Change suspension to comfort steering sport plus and after cold start push into sport throttle
4: Switch into manual shifting mode on my DCT
5 Leave the house wake all the neighbors up through my drive through carport at my house.
6: Shift on the shift nob no paddles unless straight line driving.

Shifting on shift nob or paddles if personal preference

Once you start shifting in manual mode you'll never want to stop
I like it. So 6 months in and just today I started manual shifting all day to test and practice and yea... dont think I can go back now. Maybe on a long cruise or if I'm just feeling lazy. Or on the phone or having a smoke. Haha. Kidding. I don't smoke.

Regarding using the paddle versus shifter I do notice if you're turning a corner it's easier to use the shifter as the paddle ends up in an awkward spot for a shift. Then it's back to the paddles when going straight.
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2019, 04:33 AM   #5
joooiiiiii
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzracer View Post
I like it. So 6 months in and just today I started manual shifting all day to test and practice and yea... dont think I can go back now. Maybe on a long cruise or if I'm just feeling lazy. Or on the phone or having a smoke. Haha. Kidding. I don't smoke.

Regarding using the paddle versus shifter I do notice if you're turning a corner it's easier to use the shifter as the paddle ends up in an awkward spot for a shift. Then it's back to the paddles when going straight.

I only use auto when I'm using my phone or something else--other than that, it's usually hitting the paddles or shifter. My car is in the shop right now and they gave me a car with 6 speed and I definitely don't want to go back to manual shifting.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 08:32 AM   #6
maul3d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 AY M4

Hey,

Having acquired the vehicle a few months ago; I have now fully went from MDM M1 mode, to MDM M1 but Manual shifting the DCT paddles.

It takes some time to get accustomed, but I enjoy it more then driving manual now.

One of the advantages driving thr Dct in manual mode is being in the right gear, and not having the car ringing out the motor prepared for attack at select lower gears. Yes, one can put the DCT settings lower, but then its asleep.

Overall , being a previous diehard MT guy.. DCT is quite an enjoyable and great transmission..one of the reasons majority of ferrari, and lamborghini and other exotic cars have stopped offering manuals.. quicker, faster, comfort, etc.
Appreciate 1
Humdizzle554.50

06-18-2019, 12:29 PM   #7
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW F80

I believe my f80 has only been in auto mode at the dealership in my ownership
Appreciate 2
      06-18-2019, 12:33 PM   #8
Maitre_Absolut
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Quote:

I've mainly been using the DCT auto function for all driving conditions because I guess I just assume it is smart and knows what it's doing and is in the right gear at the right time and l knows better than me.
Stop there. Doesn't matter if it knows better than you or if its marginally faster. Drive it in manual mode and have fun.

I flick to auto when coming to a stop or in traffic sometimes
2014 Audi S4
Appreciate 1
dezzracer223.00

06-18-2019, 12:47 PM   #9
FIN_Nole
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Similar to many here, I was a die hard three-pedal MT guy prior to purchasing my current '17 ZCP. Funny thing was I only test drove manual F80's before buying mine on impulse without even driving a DCT first. Kids, dog, wife that doesn't drive manual all made it seem more 'logical' (plus I was intrigued by the, in large part, overwhelmingly positive reviews).

Long story short, I don't regret the decision to go with the DCT one bit. I drive it in manual mode 100% of the time (with M settings adjusted to meet current driving mood) and use the shifter for the 1st to 2nd shift when turning, and then the paddles for almost everything else.

My advice: drive it in manual mode as often as possible!
Appreciate 3
dezzracer223.00
BMWM5NYC312.50

06-18-2019, 02:19 PM   #10
dezzracer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks all. Good advice and I appreciate the replies. It's manual mode for me from now on.

Interestingly tho, as I peruse the Bimmerpost sub menu for auto-crossing and racing there are posts over there that claim unless you are expert/ pro level driver, that in (most cases) you will be faster around the track leaving the car in auto mode.

The thought process being it takes a lot of skill and concentration just to focus on hitting the right lines, breaking points and turn in speeds let alone knowing what gear to be in at a particular speed and point on a racetrack. . Apparently the DCT, especially in "sport plus" mode is better suited at knowing what gear you should be in on a race track at speed than it is when driving on public streets. Makes sense to me as after all it is an "M car" which has been set up, tuned and coded by pro level factory drivers.

Not that it matters to me as I do not track my car. I just thought it was an interesting observation I've gleaned from this forum.
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2019, 03:34 PM   #11
maul3d
Private First Class
Rep

I agree with thr above statement.

I still at times, havent figured out the gear display is on my HUD.. Yet, always looking at the cluster for nonapparent reason. Lol

Just got back from a game of tennis with my son, thinking.. why am I looking at the cluster ?

Driving the past 20 years.. it's all habit!

Lol
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 05:25 PM   #12
CanAutM3
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4cs

Garage List
2019 BMW M4cs  [0.00]
2018 Audi RS3  [0.00]
I mostly use Sequential mode since I prefer to be the one selecting the gears. I will use Drive on occasion if I am occupied with other tasks in traffic (examples: phone call, loading an address in the navigation system).
SD ///M41784.00

06-18-2019, 05:27 PM   #13
CanAutM3
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4cs

Garage List
2019 BMW M4cs  [0.00]
2018 Audi RS3  [0.00]
Quote:
It CANNOT know better than you, because it cannot anticipate the road ahead nor your intentions.
SD ///M41784.00
BMWM5NYC312.50

06-18-2019, 09:16 PM   #14
M4BimmerChris
Street Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 BMW M4 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by maul3d View Post
I agree with thr above statement.

I still at times, havent figured out the gear display is on my HUD.. Yet, always looking at the cluster for nonapparent reason. Lol

Just got back from a game of tennis with my son, thinking.. why am I looking at the cluster ?

Driving the past 20 years.. it's all habit!

Lol
Idk about you but I look at the cluster because it looks cool. Even tho I have hud
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 09:24 PM   #15
maul3d
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Idk about you but I look at the cluster because it looks cool. Even tho I have hud
Haha , don't blame you. Indeed it does.
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2019, 10:10 PM   #16
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Turn off HUD and you get shift lights on the rpm gauge. Very cool to see.
      06-18-2019, 10:16 PM   #17
maul3d
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
Turn off HUD and you get shift lights on the rpm gauge. Very cool to see.
Learned something new today.

Thanks
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2019, 02:57 AM   #18
kyrix1st
Captain
Japan
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Euro, E36/7, E92 M3

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Why waste your time driving the ultimate driving machine if you are going to leave everything up to the car?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 06:05 AM   #19
SMGCFP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F82 M4

Good thread here. I've used the sequential mode on the car. It's fun. I don't use exclusively. Actually I don't use it much at all. It's not because it's not fun, because it is. I think I'm just lazy when it comes to this. Forget sequential mode when the wife is in the car, she doesn't like the way I drive to start with...

This notion that being able to shift the gears manually somehow puts you in better control of the car than the computer. Maybe marginally, at least for me. I'm sold on the fun of it, but probably not doing for better car control. In the hands of an expert, or an above average driver, sure. I'm neither of those as much as I'd like to believe I am. Experienced, sure. Expert. No.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 06:45 AM   #20
Revzyuu
Registered
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

I keep it in manual mode cause I read about the crank hub issues and i rather do the blips myself to get around traffic at the second shift setting. Only time I use auto is when im in 5-20 mph traffic.

GTS trans flash made this a bit easier though in auto mode.
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2019, 08:39 AM   #21
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 M3 Comp

Auto only for longer drives on the highway. Otherwise, Manual all the way.
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
'05 E46 ///M3 - TiAg/IR- Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 04:33 PM   #22
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Alpine White BMW M4 (F82)

I leave mine in Auto 90% of the time because I'm always just stuck in traffic
Appreciate 0