ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

07-09-2019, 09:42 AM   #1
matty088
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

which bluetooth dongle for the obd

doing my first track event soon. Sorry i know i posted a variation of this question last month.

I am looking to record my laps. I was going to use my old gopro but i think its too oldschool to connect to my obd via bluetooth. In fact I dont even know if i am saying this correctly or if i can even use my iphones camera.

Anyways I want to use my iphone 8 to record the video and run the app. That is possible right? Could you please make suggestions on which to buy for the following

1) bluetooth dongle that plugs into my obd that works with a well known app
2) Which iphone app to buy that will work with the above dongle
3) Which phone mount? I suppose I want to adhere it to the front windshield.

I guess whats obvious here is that I am looking to keep it 1)simple and 2) cost effective. I only plan to do one event a year or so. So a big and best expensive setup doesnt make a ton of sense. If I love it...then i could make more of an investment.

Thanks for helping me out.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 12:21 PM   #2
antych
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4CP SO

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [10.00]
GoPro doesn't do OBD. Garmin Virb is great for that, but it's a bit of an investment. If you want good quality recording and overlays, consider that in the future.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 07:57 PM   #3
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by antych View Post
GoPro doesn't do OBD. Garmin Virb is great for that, but it's a bit of an investment. If you want good quality recording and overlays, consider that in the future.
I am using this setup:

Track Addict iOS app
VeePeak OBD II sensor compatible with Track Addict and Harry's Laptimer. Also the cheapest of all alternatives:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073XKQQQW..._2EtjDbG2M5C6S

... and this headrest mount with which I am very happy:
Headrest Mount for GoPro,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XIB6SK4...p_mob_ap_share

And here is a quick video I made on how to configure Track Addict to display the OBD Channels:

Here is a sample video I recorded with that mount, Track Addict and my iPhone:

Appreciate 0