R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

11-23-2021, 12:22 PM   #23
5ABIVT
Millies ftw
Rep
Drives: M4 ZR-1 & LT4 Corvettes

Just wanted to post up over the last few weeks I’ve had the exact same shudder like vibration only when lightly touching the brakes or when I turn left unloading the left front wheel and it would shudder. I replaced the wheel bearing but it wasn’t that because I did bump a semi - tall smooth curb at speed i figured just in case the bearing was bad I’d replace it. I picked up new tension arms and spherical bearings thinking it was them I’m about to install them but figured it was either the tension arms or the control arms. In OPs case it was the control arm so I’m feeling like that’s going to be my Solution as well. I just wanted to post up here and I’ll follow up with my solution as well. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 12:36 PM   #24
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ABIVT View Post
Just wanted to post up over the last few weeks I've had the exact same shudder like vibration only when lightly touching the brakes or when I turn left unloading the left front wheel and it would shudder. I replaced the wheel bearing but it wasn't that because I did bump a semi - tall smooth curb at speed i figured just in case the bearing was bad I'd replace it. I picked up new tension arms and spherical bearings thinking it was them I'm about to install them but figured it was either the tension arms or the control arms. In OPs case it was the control arm so I'm feeling like that's going to be my Solution as well. I just wanted to post up here and I'll follow up with my solution as well. Cheers
Remember, if you're turning left and feel it, it's the RIGHT lower control arm. the wishbone is what I was told. Glad I posted about it so it'll help you diagnose your issue. What you're describing is identical to what I had going on. Dealers and other mechanics have a hard time replicating it; you have to be turning very slightly (or at least in my case), the bmw tech that drove my car was taking hard lefts telling me everything is normal lol. Then I drove it with him, turned at a very specific degree angle (it's a left lane change but a little sharper than usual like you're changing lanes to cut someone off) and he realized I wasn't lying. If you just show a mechanic that it shudders on braking, they'll tell you you need new brakes.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 05:44 PM   #25
5ABIVT
Millies ftw
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmf8x View Post
Remember, if you're turning left and feel it, it's the RIGHT lower control arm. the wishbone is what I was told. Glad I posted about it so it'll help you diagnose your issue. What you're describing is identical to what I had going on. Dealers and other mechanics have a hard time replicating it; you have to be turning very slightly (or at least in my case), the bmw tech that drove my car was taking hard lefts telling me everything is normal lol. Then I drove it with him, turned at a very specific degree angle (it's a left lane change but a little sharper than usual like you're changing lanes to cut someone off) and he realized I wasn't lying. If you just show a mechanic that it shudders on braking, they'll tell you you need new brakes.
Appreciate it definitely helps !! If I’m turning left and load the car to the right side, the left wheel unloads and then the wheel starts to shimmy so it’s definitely the drivers side. I’ve not rushed to change the tension arms yet because I’ve been putting my go pro in there and trying to capture the shaking. If got pretty cold so didn’t want to trust double sided tape as I’ve been struggling on how to mount it and getting light in there. Today my light and clamp mount showed up so I should be able to get it in there and record the shimmy in 4k 120 to actually see the shake. Just wanted to catch it so I can post it in a yt vid before repairing.

This is definitely the kind of issue that will find many people getting anal raped at a dealership. Fortunately I do all my own work and it’s just common sense trying to narrow it down. I had fcabs on my e46 m3 fail and it was extremely similar so I knew it was one of the arms. I’ll update with results and hopefully some vid too !
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 05:46 PM   #26
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ABIVT View Post
Quote:
Appreciate it definitely helps !! If I'm turning left and load the car to the right side, the left wheel unloads and then the wheel starts to shimmy so it's definitely the drivers side. I've not rushed to change the tension arms yet because I've been putting my go pro in there and trying to capture the shaking. If got pretty cold so didn't want to trust double sided tape as I've been struggling on how to mount it and getting light in there. Today my light and clamp mount showed up so I should be able to get it in there and record the shimmy in 4k 120 to actually see the shake. Just wanted to catch it so I can post it in a yt vid before repairing.

This is definitely the kind of issue that will find many people getting anal raped at a dealership. Fortunately I do all my own work and it's just common sense trying to narrow it down. I had fcabs on my e46 m3 fail and it was extremely similar so I knew it was one of the arms. I'll update with results and hopefully some vid too !
I thought it was my left wheel vibrating as well but I was wrong. If you turn left and have an suspension issue 9/10 it's a right side issue. Vice versa
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 03:02 PM   #27
5ABIVT
Millies ftw
Rep

Quote:
I thought it was my left wheel vibrating as well but I was wrong. If you turn left and have an suspension issue 9/10 it's a right side issue. Vice versa
Appreciate it ! Very well may be right. Only reason I suspected the left is if I lean right with the wheel to the left I figured when unloaded the tire would have less weight on it and then shudder as it changes direction multiple times. Kind of like a toe/tie rod end when failed. Of course I bumped this side on the semi smooth curb on a roundabout so that’s the biggest reason I figured it was the left.

Put the GoPro on the left side just now and can’t seem to see any shake . About to put it on the right side and get some vid. Will report back !
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 06:02 AM   #28
5ABIVT
Millies ftw
Rep

Quote:
Just updating this thread. You were 100 right it was the right side control arm and not the thrust arm. It was not the bushing but the ball joint end. I took several photos and videos I’ll make a short video for YouTube as well describing the symptoms and some clips and the fix so it can help anyone in the future and I’ll def tag this post in it too. The ball joint was very loose up and down and side to side. I didn’t look too closely after cutting the boot and taking some grease out but it looks like the ball has a liner like a shifter upgrade for those that have ever upgraded a shifter I think the oem ball end is usually lined with nylon and greased and I think it appears to be similar on this control arm.

I’m surprised that there is no options for a ball joint end that can be pressed into the factory arm not requiring an entire new arm but then again the chassis side is a monoball and it couldn’t hurt to have a new one there as well (an option to replace that end too would still be cheaper than buying a factory arm imo).

I’ll post a vid here shortly I guess I’ll have to upload it to YouTube first. I used a clamp mount with a GoPro and a light on it on the thrust arm to record the ball joint end shaking.

Appreciate 0