Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-08-2018, 12:06 PM   #1167
s4awd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 GT3RS, 08 E92 M3, 06 Evo IX

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I get that people like the design/look. But, I don't get the sporty part of it.
In my opinion they give the car a sophisticated look that the other wheels lack. They (the 666s, tinted) have a very delicate yet high precision look and the two-tone finish is ultra high end in person. They are the ultimate big-pimpin' badass wheel.

That said, I LOVE the CS wheels as they have a very sport/lightweight look. I just don't think the finish is flattering for such dainty spokes. They need a little more pop - they should've been gloss black in my eyes. But the spokes' dimensions are quite impressive in person. VERY sharp and sporty wheel design.

So we have two amazing choices now:

- The dark 666s for the pimp daddy look (these compliment the CF roof and gloss black trim like no other - truly breathtaking)
- The 763s for the sporty/all-business look

With the tinted 666s and 763s now in the world, the standard 18/19 are vastly outclassed by them in terms of visual appeal.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I get that people like the design/look. But, I don't get the sporty part of it.
In my opinion they give the car a sophisticated look that the other wheels lack. They (the 666s, tinted) have a very delicate yet high precision look and the two-tone finish is ultra high end in person. They are the ultimate big-pimpin' badass wheel.

That said, I LOVE the CS wheels as they have a very sport/lightweight look. I just don't think the finish is flattering for such dainty spokes. They need a little more pop - they should've been gloss black in my eyes. But the spokes' dimensions are quite impressive in person. VERY sharp and sporty wheel design.

- The dark 666s for the pimp daddy look (these compliment the CF roof and gloss black trim like no other - truly breathtaking)

With the tinted 666s and 763s now in the world, the standard 18/19 are vastly outclassed by them in terms of visual appeal.

Agreed. I was about to buy some used 19's before pickup and swap immediately but after looking at the 20's I changed my mind.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 04:19 PM   #1168
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:

The post I quoted was dead on in saying to each their own. I’m glad you and others like them, but I see nothing sporty (especially since they are the heaviest M3/4 wheel) or sophisticated about them at all. I think they look completely wrong on the car, but that is why it is great they give us so many choices because obviously tastes are widely varied.

My ranking for current M3/4 choices goes like this.

Black/silver 437
513, just wish they made them in 19s as well and they would be my second choice, especially in the stock color.
Silver 437
Appreciate 1
CanAutM321116.50
      10-08-2018, 04:21 PM   #1169
F80zcp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Tanzanite F80 ZCP

Quote:

As someone who originally hated the silver 666m, the dark 666m have grown on me and they look badass in person. They go perfectly with the carbon fiber roof, black grill/gills, and black badge on the ZCP cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 05:22 PM   #1170
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

I drove my 2018 ZCP with 19s from my home in Lime Rock CT to my home in Manhattan today. This is a trip I have done many times in my 2007 335i my 2015 BMW M4 (non ZCP) with 18s, my Jaguar, my Porsche Cayenne GTS, my Lexus SC300 and several other cars.

I was initially apprehensive about the ride quality of the Competition Package. Todays rode was ride was firm but not harsh, no worse or better than my 2015 and an order of magnitude better than my 2007 335i with RFTs and sport suspension.

At this point I am glad that I opted for the Competition Package and think it is worth the money although I find the improvements over my 2007 M4 to be noticeable (and worthwhile) it is certainly not "a completely different car".

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 06:07 PM   #1171
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 DCT, 2019 Raptor

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
There may be good reasons to get ZCP, but the 666 wheels isn’t one of them, IMO. Even if you like them (no accounting for taste) there are MUCH better wheels for the money. Better looking. Lighter. Not as common. For me, the only reason I would consider ZCP is if I wanted to keep the car stock for warranty purposes. Absent that, I don’t get it. You could put that money into mods and end up with a better and cooler car. Better, more powerful tune. Better ride height. Better sound. Cooler wheels.
      10-08-2018, 06:53 PM   #1172
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarPundit View Post
There may be good reasons to get ZCP, but the 666 wheels isn’t one of them, IMO. Even if you like them (no accounting for taste) there are MUCH better wheels for the money. Better looking. Lighter. Not as common. For me, the only reason I would consider ZCP is if I wanted to keep the car stock for warranty purposes. Absent that, I don’t get it. You could put that money into mods and end up with a better and cooler car. Better, more powerful tune. Better ride height. Better sound. Cooler wheels.
'Sactly.

I have literally zero desire to modify my bone stock ZCP. It's that good. (and I've owned/own 36/46/92 M3s). I'm not about to jack with the warranty and put my family into a potentially very expensive bind to build a "better" car. Buying a brand new M3 and NOT getting the ZCP makes zero sense for these reasons.

Now - if you DO want to mod (which is totally fine) then buy a used creampuff '15 for 45k and have a ball. That makes sense.

Last edited by EricSMG; 10-08-2018 at 07:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 07:00 PM   #1173
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
Quote:

'Sactly.

I have literally zero desire to modify my bone stock ZCP. It's that good. (and I've owned/own 36/46/92 M3s).

I'm not about to jack with the warranty and put my family into a potentially very expensive bind to build a "better" car.
There you go. Different strokes. I have literally zero desire to leave my car stock.
      10-08-2018, 07:02 PM   #1174
EricSMG
Captain
Rep

Quote:
There you go. Different strokes. I have literally zero desire to leave my car stock.
Then why buy a new car? Serious question.

Guys on the 46M board have been asking me about my F80 experience and for the guys that track/want to modify I have only one response - buy a clean '15, update the software and go crazy on mods.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 07:05 PM   #1175
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
Quote:

Guys on the 46M board have been asking me about my F80 experience and for the guys that track I have only one response - buy a clean '15, update the software and go crazy on mods.
Because I’ve wanted an M3 for like 15 years, and I wanted it new. Because I can. And I’ll be damned if I’m leaving it stock. I thought about getting ZCP and modding from there, but when I ordered mine, you couldn’t change the wheels. I hated the 666 (still do) and it just didn’t make sense to me to pay thousands of dollars for wheels I didn’t like and a shitty, underpowered tune.
      10-08-2018, 07:06 PM   #1176
EricSMG
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Because I’ve wanted an M3 for like 15 years, and I wanted it new. Because I can. And I’ll be damned if I’m leaving it stock. I thought about getting ZCP and modding from there, but when I ordered mine, you couldn’t change the wheels. I hated the 666 (still do) and it just didn’t make sense to me to pay thousands of dollars for wheels I didn’t like and a shitty, underpowered tune.
Got it, fair enough

So what about the DCS, Diff and suspension changes? Have you driven your modified car back to back with a stock ZCP car down the same canyon run. I would bet good money I know which one is the better tool for that job.

Last edited by EricSMG; 10-08-2018 at 07:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
WIKDF80292.50
      10-08-2018, 07:09 PM   #1177
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetint View Post
To each their own, I just love thos 666M wheels

The 19" wheels were sporty, although these wheels make even more of a sporty statement. I haven't seen similar wheels out there, which also adds to the uniqueness of the car.

That being said, they are very annoying to clean
Maybe so but those 437's are no picnic either.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 07:33 PM   #1178
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
Quote:
Got it, fair enough

So what about the DCS, Diff and suspension changes? Have you driven your modified car back to back with a stock ZCP car down the same canyon run. I would bet good money I know which one is the better tool for that job.
Also, European Delivery was a must for me, so that means new.

No, I haven’t done back to back testing of my car versus a ZCP. But I have coded the DCS with Euro MDM and coded the GTS DCT, along with the headlights, and a bunch of other stuff. And of course, I’ve modded the suspension But ultimately, I really don’t care if a ZCP would take a tenth of a second off my lap time (and I’m not convinced it would). I wanted to make this car my own, and believe me, it’s a beast and it’s plenty of fun to drive.
      10-18-2018, 09:45 AM   #1179
ssgm1x
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i & 2018 M3

For me the ZCP ride was a bit too harsh for my liking. I do a lot of city driving on bumpy roads.. The regular M3 took bumps much much better. Plus i was gonna tune the car so the extra 19HP would've been a waste.
      10-18-2018, 11:31 AM   #1180
zorrro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Quote:

Guys on the 46M board have been asking me about my F80 experience and for the guys that track/want to modify I have only one response - buy a clean '15, update the software and go crazy on mods.
Because, ED baby! My previous 2 E90s were 2yr old CPO cars but ED was on my bucket list.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 11:40 AM   #1181
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:

I get your response for those that want to modify. However, there is another angle to look at for those that track their cars. I am fairly frequent tracker (~20 days/year) and a big incentive for me for buying my cars new is peace of mind that comes with the factory warranty.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
SD ///M42992.00
      10-18-2018, 02:14 PM   #1182
IDBGOD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgm1x View Post
For me the ZCP ride was a bit too harsh for my liking. I do a lot of city driving on bumpy roads.. The regular M3 took bumps much much better. Plus i was gonna tune the car so the extra 19HP would've been a waste.
It's a lot more difference than just an extra 19hp, overall it is a more refined car stability and traction wise as well as suspension/ handling. The wheels, seats, sport exhaust burbles, and minor trim bits are just a plus.

Then again once you realize it's already over $4k for the 666 wheels alone, a $5k option that includes the wheels plus all the other goodies is a pretty good value.

I went from a non comp car to comp car, I wouldn't say it's that much harsher, just my 2c's. Granted the 20's feel the road a little more than my 18's did in terms of bump soak up. Why not tune on top of the comp package for even more power
Appreciate 1
ssgm1x418.50
      10-18-2018, 02:38 PM   #1183
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDBGOD View Post
It's a lot more difference than just an extra 19hp, overall it is a more refined car stability and traction wise as well as suspension/ handling. The wheels, seats, sport exhaust burbles, and minor trim bits are just a plus.

Then again once you realize it's already over $4k for the 666 wheels alone, a $5k option that includes the wheels plus all the other goodies is a pretty good value.

I went from a non comp car to comp car, I wouldn't say it's that much harsher, just my 2c's. Granted the 20's feel the road a little more than my 18's did in terms of bump soak up. Why not tune on top of the comp package for even more power
Mechanically it is the exact same engine, you will not be able to extract more power out of a CP engine from a tune.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
ssgm1x418.50
      10-18-2018, 06:03 PM   #1184
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDBGOD View Post

Mechanically it is the exact same engine, you will not be able to extract more power out of a CP engine from a tune.
Come on man. Everyone knows it's a totally different car
Appreciate 1
CanAutM321116.50
      10-18-2018, 07:47 PM   #1185
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DML View Post
They're split 5 spoke wheels! How much easier can it get? I use a lambswool finger mitt and a scrubber on a plastic stick (from Griot's Garage). No harder than any other wheel that I've had.

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 10:18 PM   #1186
DML
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DML View Post
They're split 5 spoke wheels! How much easier can it get? I use a lambswool finger mitt and a scrubber on a plastic stick (from Griot's Garage). No harder than any other wheel that I've had.
Got it but...Being black 437's, no picnic (black being black). Usually takes 2 to 3 goings over for me. Just a tad more time consuming over the traditional silver. While I have your eye, got a nail in my rear tread yesterday (sob) told this cannot be plugged, true?? Thanks for the read
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 10:19 PM   #1187
DML
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
Can't wait for the Civic G80 vs Competition thread when it comes out
Never ends
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 06:56 AM   #1188
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
Can't wait for the Civic G80 vs Competition thread when it comes out
At least with the G80 you will actually have a dedicated competition model instead of everyone adopting the moniker now when its simply a package option. Maybe bimmerpost can just split the forum at that point so there is no cross pollination lol
Appreciate 0