EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

09-24-2016, 10:04 AM   #1
Rogue_fxdl
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 / '11 325is/89 325is

Thoughts on door sill wrap

Waiting on my 17 M3 and thought about wrapping the door sill area to protect it from scuffs and scratches. Its gonna be my DD and know that's where its gonna be roughed up. Peel it off and put another wrap on myself when it gets worn...
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 10:43 AM   #2
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

How about rather than doing that figuring out why you are so rough on the door sills and change your habits? I'm not even sure what you mean to be honest. I've had mine for almost a year and a half, have over 24,000 miles on it, daily it(obviously) and the sills of my car are brand new still after I wipe the dirt off them.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 11:28 AM   #3
Rogue_fxdl
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 / '11 325is/89 325is

Wow, thanks for the helpful advice and Ill work on my "habits"....Trust me, I don't wear $300 shoes or a suit. My job is not a sheltered one, nor do I drive on the highways. My situation is different. I live in the mountain area of NC , my three mile paved road home from the city has 29 curves and love it, but the road/driveway to my house has gravel. I was just thinking about the scratches one gets, like at the trunk area from use and thought it might keep the sill good. Thanks for the advice on how to wipe the dirt away, can you put out a video.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 09:12 PM   #4
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue_fxdl View Post
Wow, thanks for the helpful advice and Ill work on my "habits"....Trust me, I don't wear $300 shoes or a suit. My job is not a sheltered one, nor do I drive on the highways. My situation is different. I live in the mountain area of NC , my three mile paved road home from the city has 29 curves and love it, but the road/driveway to my house has gravel. I was just thinking about the scratches one gets, like at the trunk area from use and thought it might keep the sill good. Thanks for the advice on how to wipe the dirt away, can you put out a video.
I doubt you'll get much help with an attitude like that. You asked for thoughts on your idea. Ian gave you his thoughts; and a reasonable reply in my opinion. I guess you're just looking for people to affirm your idea. So, go ahead. Wrap your door sills. Although, if you drive on a gravel road to get home, the sills would be my last worry. That's my thought.
Appreciate 3
MadZarBMR712.00
SakhirM410783.00
Ian1973736.00
      09-26-2016, 07:42 PM   #5
te37
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SS/SO 6MT

LOL change your habits? what kind of answer is that for OP?

I have wrapped my door sills for all 4 sills and you never know what friends are gonna do plus its nice to have protection if you're rushing in your car from rain or something. Go for it OP
Appreciate 2
      09-27-2016, 09:13 AM   #6
YaThatAintRight
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Change your habits is the best answer. It's lazy clumsy people that drag their feet over a painted surface that scratch them. You wouldn't drag something across the hood of your car, so why so lax on the door sills? You don't need a business suit to take care of something nice but apparently you need some common sense.

If you can't do that then wrap them.....was there even a question there?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 01:19 PM   #7
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by te37
LOL change your habits? what kind of answer is that for OP?

I have wrapped my door sills for all 4 sills and you never know what friends are gonna do plus its nice to have protection if you're rushing in your car from rain or something. Go for it OP
I had a friend kick his shoes on my door sill trying to be polite and not dirty the carpet. While the gesture was not appreciated, at least he was trying to be thoughtful lol

I agree, wrapping the door sills sounds like a good idea to me. Shouldn't be too expensive either.
Appreciate 1
te37545.00
      09-28-2016, 02:05 AM   #8
FR00ZN
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 BMW M3

OP - I think your idea to wrap the sills makes sense in my opinion. No matter how careful you are getting in and out, you will no doubt knock the sills.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 09:30 AM   #9
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

first thing i do on all my cars is wrap the sills for exact reasons above - stone chips and people kicking the sills getting in/out

i get it custom template'd so it wraps into the door jams and tucked into panel gaps

xpel works really well for scuffs, i either just go over the scuff with a non-abbrassive liquid paint cleaner or use a heat gun on low to bleed them out

on m3 i plan to wrap full sill and replace the rear guard oem film by going a bit higher up the guard and wrapping into the rear door jam so you don't see the edge

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 07:42 PM   #10
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post
I had a friend kick his shoes on my door sill trying to be polite and not dirty the carpet. While the gesture was not appreciated, at least he was trying to be thoughtful lol

I agree, wrapping the door sills sounds like a good idea to me. Shouldn't be too expensive either.
Just to clarify, are we talking the exterior of the car, or the actual door sill?

Your friend is not smart, I clap my shoes together to get stuff off, never on the car.

My friend touched the paint on the bootlid once to close it and I freaked. CLOSE IT LIKE IT'S MEANT TO BE. Which is the handles on the inside, then finish with the license plate, no touching of the paint.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 11:45 AM   #11
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian1973
Just to clarify, are we talking the exterior of the car, or the actual door sill?

Your friend is not smart, I clap my shoes together to get stuff off, never on the car.

My friend touched the paint on the bootlid once to close it and I freaked. CLOSE IT LIKE IT'S MEANT TO BE. Which is the handles on the inside, then finish with the license plate, no touching of the paint.
Lol. How exactly do you think most people close their trunks?
      09-30-2016, 10:30 AM   #12
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
The door sill isn't as subject to scuffing as much as the rocker panels are. The plastic trim on the door sills do a more than sufficient job at protecting the sill area. Get your rocker panels wrapped instead... it will also serve a dual purpose since it will protect the panels from tire debris.
Appreciate 0