Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

10-14-2018, 03:03 PM   #1
Boeing Driver
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750I

Sparkplugs Misfiring

UNBELIEVABLE! Dudes...I took my car in for its annual service & the service called for a plug replacement. No problem right? Except my antennas went up!

Rewind back to this past February when my dad drove his 2014 335 out to TX to see me from VA. When gets in town, he decides to go ahead & get his car serviced at BMW Grapevine because the service would come due on his way back. While driving back home, his car started misfiring because the dealer changed his plugs.

He got to Atlanta & stopped at a dealer there & the problem wouldn't duplicate...they couldn't figure it out.

He drove home & of course it happened again, but the tech at Sterling BMW had seen the issue before and had a fix. Bad coil & a reprogram of the car to the plugs. Nothing BMW has a fix for but a fix Sterling had in their back pocket.

Ok, back to me. The same shit happened to me this past Thursday & my car is still at the dealer.

When Grapevine called me to pick my car up after the service, I told them my dads situation because they couldn't do the state inspection because THE NEW PLUGS WERE MISFIRING and they wanted me to drive 100 miles TO CLEAR THE CODE. I reinforced my dads issue.

The 100 miles comes in because I was getting a state inspection also but couldn't pass because they were reading that the plugs were misfiring before I picked it up after the service & wanted me to drive it 100 miles to reset the system. I didn't make it 15 miles before it started misfiring.

Fast forward I'm driving home from work & my car started misfiring. My M4 sounded like a f'n tank!

I took it straight to them & it's still misfiring! I even gave the the techs info is VA.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 03:14 AM   #2
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

As long as business vehicle plugs are fine, I am happy since I put >200k miles on AA annually
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 12:59 PM   #3
Zyler
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi MSport

I learned this weekend the hard way that over torquing the plugs even the slightest bit can cause internal damage to the plug which can result in misfiring. Granted this was on a 335 but could be the same scenario. Misfire started happening 10 miles after the plug install. The plug had no visible damage but once it was swapped everything ran smoothly again.
Appreciate 1