R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

09-09-2015, 09:49 AM   #45
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex o View Post
None of the available coilover systems are compatible with EDC. Some systems, like the KWs, just come with an optional module to code off the warning (which any coder can accomplish on his/her own). The only coilover system that truly utilizes the EDC is the Bilstein Damptronic (available later this year maybe). And even that doesn't really utilize the BMW EDC, it just uses the OEM button to switch settings on their own dampers. No matter which coilover system you go with, the dampers are coming out; EDC damper or non EDC damper.

If you are planning to go for a coilover system, it's a less than ideal choice to get an F8X with EDC. However, if you got stuck with an F8X with EDC or decided that EDC isn't for you, then you got to bite the bullet when you decide to go with a coilover kit; KW or any other brand, EDC is gone.

That being said, choosing a coilover system based on whether it includes a module to code off the EDC error is (in my opinion) also a less than ideal way to choose your coilovers; since you can code out the error anyways.

I think the whole wording of "EDC compatible" on KW's kits are a misnomer at best. It's not compatible. It just codes off the error for an extra couple hundred dollars.
+1
This man knows his stuff.
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2015, 10:13 AM   #46
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks1117 View Post
Here is my V3, not much different from the stock one, only the front is a bit lower
Looks like KW corrected the spring height for the KW V3. Kitw's (OP) KW V3s were much lower when he got the earlier batch of KW V3s. Your's seems like the height is more manageable for the dampers to do their work properly.

Kitw's early KW V3 kit.

ks1117's KW V3 kit.

This is the same experience I had with my KW V2s on my F30. I got the first batch of KW V2s and the springs were way too short or soft so I was slammed at even the highest setting. Ironically, while talking at length with the KW tech guy and taking measurements/photos, they confirmed that duh...
  • My KW V2s were at the highest setting front/rear.
  • The car was too low for KW to warranty their dampers (KW has a ride height threshold where the dampers warranty becomes void).
Yet, KW could not find a solution for me for over 6 months. Eventually, they quietly rolled out future V2 kits with the proper springs (either longer or stiffer springs) to give a more manageable ride height. It looks like KW went through the same thing for the F80 KW V3 kit.

*Note: The height of the F82 kit looks fine from the get-go... same as the F32.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 11:14 AM   #47
VF-Engineering
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
You should read the thread. He ended up disliking the V3. Sold the M3. Got an M4 and put a set of JRZs on it.
I know. I actually wrote "JRZ's still an awesome choice" but apparently it did not work out the way I intended haha. I can't do 4 things at once apparently
Thanks for lookin out and catching me! >_<
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 06:09 PM   #48
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

Quote:
Looks like KW corrected the spring height for the KW V3. Kitw's (OP) KW V3s were much lower when he got the earlier batch of KW V3s. Your's seems like the height is more manageable for the dampers to do their work properly.

*Note: The height of the F82 kit looks fine from the get-go... same as the F32.

There isn't a separate F82 kit, which is the problem. The F82 wheel well has quite a bit more gap than the F80, even though the ride height is the same.

KW's kit fits the f82 fine but is a little short for the F80 in the rear - I could have set the perch higher but was not comfortable doing so as I felt like I was running out of adjuster. KW says it was fine... but I did not like it.

DSC_3369 by Kit W, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 06:30 PM   #49
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
There isn't a separate F82 kit, which is the problem. The F82 wheel well has quite a bit more gap than the F80, even though the ride height is the same.

KW's kit fits the f82 fine but is a little short for the F80 in the rear - I could have set the perch higher but was not comfortable doing so as I felt like I was running out of adjuster. KW says it was fine... but I did not like it.
This is so typical KW.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 10:41 AM   #50
Machinist
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Anyone having the issue of the adjustable thread (both left and right) measuring up exactly the same,
but the left and right wheel gap differs about 5mm?

Shouldn't the wheel gap be identical ?
Left rear vs right rear
Left front vs right front

Any advise
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 02:10 PM   #51
FreeDarko
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.shell View Post
This is so typical KW.
Every generation they do something similar. Only reason to consider KWs is long term reliability.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 02:11 PM   #52
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinist View Post
Anyone having the issue of the adjustable thread (both left and right) measuring up exactly the same,

Left rear vs right rear

Any advise
No. The car is built with manufacturing tolerances that result in side-to-side differences. 5 mm (~0.2”) is within typical tolerances. Also, if the surface you’re measuring on isn’t perfectly flat then that will have an effect on the ride height at each corner.
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2019, 10:39 PM   #53
Machinist
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Quote:

Left rear vs right rear

Any advise
No. The car is built with manufacturing tolerances that result in side-to-side differences. 5 mm (~0.2”) is within typical tolerances. Also, if the surface you’re measuring on isn’t perfectly flat then that will have an effect on the ride height at each corner.
Ah thanks . I measured on too many surfaces (car parked on any flat surface)and the differences were always the same (very close results)

Left rear always lower
Right front always lower
(Driver side on the right)

Was thinking it might be the kw issue
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 06:50 AM   #54
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Ah thanks . I measured on too many surfaces (car parked on any flat surface)and the differences were always the same (very close results)

Left rear always lower
Right front always lower

Do you measure from the ground or the bottom lip of the wheel (or the center of the wheel)? You don’t want to measure from the ground because then any difference in tire height/pressure come into play. The other two approaches (wheel bottom lip and wheel center) would give you the same measurements even if all four tires had zero pressure.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 07:19 AM   #55
Machinist
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Quote:

Left rear always lower
Right front always lower

Do you measure from the ground or the bottom lip of the wheel (or the center of the wheel)? You don’t want to measure from the ground because then any difference in tire height/pressure come into play. The other two approaches (wheel bottom lip and wheel center) would give you the same measurements even if all four tires had zero pressure.
I measure from the cars fender (tip of the arch) to the tip on the wheels rim.

What's the best way to measure ?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 10:06 AM   #56
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I measure from the cars fender (tip of the arch) to the tip on the wheels rim.

What's the best way to measure ?
That’s fine. You want to eliminate the tire variable from the height measurement.
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2019, 08:08 PM   #57
Matt@autotalent
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW e92 M3 DCT supercharged

KWs are where it's at
Congrats on your purchase!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 01:32 AM   #58
Brickologic
Private
Rep
Drives: 1MCoupe M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSanto View Post
+1
This man knows his stuff.
@x.shell
DDC plug&play must be available for M3/M4 (they did even a M2 DDC Kit I saw on YouTube). And Bilstein must also have a kit for the M4/M3. Get in touch with AutoTalent they must have more info...
Appreciate 0