Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Closed Thread

05-24-2015, 04:48 PM   #23
Joshhleee
///M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 F30, '15 x5 5.0, '15 M4,M5

Wow, best looking coilovers I've seen, probably going to pull the plug on these when I get my f80. Anyone know what these will run me, or can you pm me HG ?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 10:42 PM   #24
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshhleee View Post
Wow, best looking coilovers I've seen, probably going to pull the plug on these when I get my f80. Anyone know what these will run me, or can you pm me HG ?
They said around $10k, definitely near pro-level motorsport quality stuff here. However, such setup might be a little overkill on a porky chassis like the stock F80
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 03:30 PM   #25
///BMW (+)
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N/A

Where is the review???!!!?!?!
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2015, 11:39 AM   #26
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoWagon View Post
Will the Road & Track DFV system be available in the near future?
That is in R&D at Ohlins Sweden.
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2015, 12:52 PM   #27
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

"Expect production kit to be about $10K"
OUCH!!!!!
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 01:19 PM   #28
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz View Post
OUCH!!!!!
That's actually cheaper than I thought. On the E9X, it was much more than that from what I've read. This coilover kit isn't just for people who want to lower their car; it is a serious set up. The potential buyers for this kit most likely won't balk at the price tag because they take suspension as seriously as the car itself. It always perplexes me when people spend 10s of thousands of dollars on aftermarket rims and engine mods and cheap out on the suspension.

I would rather spend $10k on suspension and keep my wheels and engine stock.
Appreciate 4
cotmfk2050.50
      05-27-2015, 01:22 PM   #29
m3aviator
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Shut up and take my money
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 01:37 PM   #30
NYAWE60
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Turbo 6 speed

Wow!!! Amazing stuff, but $10K is sticker shock. Still there are uncompromising enthusiasts that I'm sure will jump on this.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 01:39 PM   #31
pfl
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Some slow cars

So I know this is not a common request but, we know that the M3/M4s without Adaptive M Suspension are between Sport and Sport+ in terms of ride stiffness. If we want to make the car "softer", will this help? Ours does NOT have Adaptive M Suspension. This is for my wife's M3. Hoping to make the car close to the Comfort setting similar to cars equipped with M Adaptive suspension.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 02:17 PM   #32
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

how is the clearance with that tank sticking out at an angle?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 03:40 PM   #33
Tarzan
Private
Rep
Drives: F80

Comfort setting...yuk. It is a vomit producer with all that bouncing down the road it does.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 06:29 PM   #34
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz View Post
OUCH!!!!!
You get what you paid for.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 07:38 PM   #35
hgmotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Drives at Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfl View Post
So I know this is not a common request but, we know that the M3/M4s without Adaptive M Suspension are between Sport and Sport+ in terms of ride stiffness. If we want to make the car "softer", will this help? Ours does NOT have Adaptive M Suspension. This is for my wife's M3. Hoping to make the car close to the Comfort setting similar to cars equipped with M Adaptive suspension.
This is actually something we have done in the past for a few discerning customers. This is the beauty of a fully custom suspension system; it is tailored to exactly what each customer wants out of their car. With a very high quality damper, it's possible to combine exceptional handling and a compliant ride at the same time. On our F80 M3, the Ohlins TTX system was designed to optimize handling and agility, the suspension is very firm and completely eliminates any body roll, pitch, and dive, but it is actually smoother and more compliant than the factory system.

Last year, we designed a TTX-based system for an Audi R8 5.2 Convertible whose owner wanted the ultimate street setup prioritizing comfort and smoothness over track handling. I've driven that car a few times since it was built and am shocked at how comfortable it is, it rides more smoothly than the factory Audi magnetorheological dampers while also remaining flatter and more stable in corners than that stock setup.

It's tough to describe a system on this level without sounding like an overly-excited salesman but there are genuinely huge improvements over more affordable suspension kits that translate into a multiple second advantage on the track.

With all that said, if you're interested in a more comfortable ride on a street car, you may want to wait a little while until Ohlins releases their Road & Track kit. It may be several months or more before that system is available but it should be a lot more affordable and is ideally suited to street cars or mixed street/track cars. We've installed a lot of R&T kits on different types of cars and owners are always shocked at the ride and handling balance.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 09:06 PM   #36
///BMW (+)
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmilori View Post
The review will be coming shortly from our Marketing Director, Gabriel Milori, as it is his car. He has put on 1,500 miles on the kit since we've had the car back for the past 10 days or so.
Thanks! Looking forward to hearing about this epic setup
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 09:09 PM   #37
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

$10k wow
      05-27-2015, 09:11 PM   #38
gabriel.psd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 AW 6MT

Garage List
2004 330ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///BMW (+) View Post
Where is the review???!!!?!?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///BMW (+) View Post
Thanks! Looking forward to hearing about this epic setup
Currently at Gumball 3000. Will be back shortly with a full review of track days and also street driving.

Tomorrow I'll be at Buttonwillow with the car. We were at Willow Springs this past Sunday.

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 09:26 PM   #39
KN| BMW
Lieutenant
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: E90LCI to GTRS5 WideBody M3

Another quality coilover of Ohlins. Much better than other brands. ex :KW
      05-27-2015, 10:11 PM   #40
pfl
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Some slow cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgmotorsports View Post
This is actually something we have done in the past for a few discerning customers. This is the beauty of a fully custom suspension system; it is tailored to exactly what each customer wants out of their car. With a very high quality damper, it's possible to combine exceptional handling and a compliant ride at the same time. On our F80 M3, the Ohlins TTX system was designed to optimize handling and agility, the suspension is very firm and completely eliminates any body roll, pitch, and dive, but it is actually smoother and more compliant than the factory system.

Last year, we designed a TTX-based system for an Audi R8 5.2 Convertible whose owner wanted the ultimate street setup prioritizing comfort and smoothness over track handling. I've driven that car a few times since it was built and am shocked at how comfortable it is, it rides more smoothly than the factory Audi magnetorheological dampers while also remaining flatter and more stable in corners than that stock setup.

It's tough to describe a system on this level without sounding like an overly-excited salesman but there are genuinely huge improvements over more affordable suspension kits that translate into a multiple second advantage on the track.

With all that said, if you're interested in a more comfortable ride on a street car, you may want to wait a little while until Ohlins releases their Road & Track kit. It may be several months or more before that system is available but it should be a lot more affordable and is ideally suited to street cars or mixed street/track cars. We've installed a lot of R&T kits on different types of cars and owners are always shocked at the ride and handling balance.
Thank you. I appreciate the info. I'll wait as you stated but keep me posted.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 01:56 AM   #41
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz
OUCH!!!!!
That is the price of a nice motorcycle with a good set of shocks.
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2015, 04:21 AM   #42
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Magnificent!

Quality can't be beaten for ohlins
      05-28-2015, 08:50 AM   #43
MParallel
Mr. OEM
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '98 E36 M3 AW/Black 1 of 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports View Post
Looks amazing.
That basically.

Puts my PSS9's to shame.

'1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiß III auf Schwarz • Deutschland-ausführung • 1 von 12 • SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL •

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 03:34 PM   #44
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

hgmotorsports

Not a F8x owner at the moment, but I would be very interested in this setup when I switch to F8x down the line, as I have good experience with Ohline TTX based shocks on my bike. However, could you explain the reasoning of using a real coilover setup vs the factory setup for the rear suspension. I am little worried about the stress that put on the upper shock mounting point, as it wasn't designed to carry the load of the shock AND spring from the factory. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread