Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

07-22-2016, 03:46 AM   #67
hwalk
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Can I ask does the kit come with a module to cancel error codes if you've got EDC fitted?
I heard they're (Öhlins) developing an own solution that is not yet available (at least in Europe) but maybe you could use the KW Kit to deactivate the EDC. My dealer's currently checking this option.
      07-22-2016, 03:55 AM   #68
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Hopefully they will, IIRC the e92 versions had the module.
      07-23-2016, 06:24 AM   #69
dahherwang
Private
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_tofu View Post
I am on Ohlins recommended settings - can't remember what they are right now but will find out.
Would you mind to share your setting? Thanks.
      07-23-2016, 06:26 AM   #70
dahherwang
Private
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwalk View Post
I heard they're (Öhlins) developing an own solution that is not yet available (at least in Europe) but maybe you could use the KW Kit to deactivate the EDC. My dealer's currently checking this option.
The cancellation kit seems ODM by KW!
      07-28-2016, 11:15 PM   #71
Greg FEightytwo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW GT4 M4 and X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Looks like they're slowly trickling in, just got the first of our shipment.

I just had mine installed today. Thank you for fast shipping!!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 11:17 PM   #72
Greg FEightytwo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW GT4 M4 and X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Can I ask does the kit come with a module to cancel error codes if you've got EDC fitted?
i got the KWs delete modules. Or coding will do the trick.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 12:42 AM   #73
WoohooSoCal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 SS II / SS

I had mine installed today also. Thanks TAG Motorsports!

I do not have adaptive suspension. The car immediately is flatter on turns and hard braking. I will put a lot of hard miles on it over the next three days and see how it settles. Next week I will go back to TAG to change the setup to suit my needs.

Right now, it was money well spent.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 04:22 PM   #74
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg FEightytwo View Post
i got the KWs delete modules. Or coding will do the trick.
Ah OK, thanks for that.

Cheers.
      07-29-2016, 06:02 PM   #75
WoohooSoCal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 SS II / SS

2nd day: the ass doesn't wiggle-wobble under hard acceleration. It hooks up in a straight line and during a hard acceleration in the middle of a turn - no wallowing.

I am setup between middle stiffness and stock shock stiffness. Rebound and compression is great as I can feel the backside of bumps - no float. I may go a couple of clicks stiffer for a test next week. The car is comfortable.

I have active sound coded out and I can hear a little more road noise with this setup.
Appreciate 2
Wills28656.00
MaynardZed1231.00
      08-01-2016, 12:44 PM   #76
Carlos@TAG
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Cinco

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoohooSoCal View Post
2nd day: the ass doesn't wiggle-wobble under hard acceleration. It hooks up in a straight line and during a hard acceleration in the middle of a turn - no wallowing.

I am setup between middle stiffness and stock shock stiffness. Rebound and compression is great as I can feel the backside of bumps - no float. I may go a couple of clicks stiffer for a test next week. The car is comfortable.

I have active sound coded out and I can hear a little more road noise with this setup.
Glad you're enjoying it! You have plenty of room to go stiffer, as I recall we have about 14 clicks left to go up from where we have it so let me know if you want to see how it feels a few notches up from where it is now.
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2016, 11:04 AM   #77
Celestion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 Comp

Anyone care to share updated driving impressions? Has anyone switched from EDC to these?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 04:14 AM   #78
jim996
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

I'm very interested in any more feedback you can offer on this Ohlins kit. I've used Ohlins fpr years on my race bikes and their TTX shocks are the best you can buy.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 05:31 AM   #79
jim996
Private First Class
Rep

To add to my comment above. My car is passive suspension and I drive it in sport suspension setting most of the time. I find sport plus too harsh and causes the car to lose traction at the rear over bumps. I just wondered how the ohlins r&t compares to the standard sport and sport plus modes?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 09:54 AM   #80
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim996
To add to my comment above. My car is passive suspension and I drive it in sport suspension setting most of the time. I find sport plus too harsh and causes the car to lose traction at the rear over bumps. I just wondered how the ohlins r&t compares to the standard sport and sport plus modes?
If you have the passive suspension you do not have any settings for the suspension.
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 10:16 AM   #81
jim996
Private First Class
Rep

Of course you do. The passive systems dampers rebound and compression settings are adjusted electronically when you change between comfort sport and sport plus. How else do you think the car changes its feel? Spring rate and ride height doesn't change but compression and rebound does.

A coilover system like ohlins does the same thing but you can further change the ride height of the car and adjust the compression and rebound circuit manually at each shock rather than from in the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 12:05 PM   #82
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Of course you do. The passive systems dampers rebound and compression settings are adjusted electronically when you change between comfort sport and sport plus. How else do you think the car changes its feel? Spring rate and ride height doesn't change but compression and rebound does.

A coilover system like ohlins does the same thing but you can further change the ride height of the car and adjust the compression and rebound circuit manually at each shock rather than from in the car.
No, the passive system is not adjustable on compression or rebound. The settings do not affect the shocks. You may want to read up on it.

They are a basic shock, there is no adjustment to them.

The adaptive suspension is the only system that has settings.
09' C6 Z06
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 01:02 PM   #83
jim996
Private First Class
Rep

How does it change the damping then smartass? The spring rate cant change so the car has to be mechanically turning a screw somewhere to restrict the oil flow through the dampers. I'm sure there is some different technical explanation in an online BMW manual you've spent your lonely Friday evenings poring over but to be honest I dont really give a shit and I havent got the time to go and look it up.

I love forums......you ask a simple question to the guy who started the post and you get everyone chipping in to show how clever they are.....if you haven't anything to add to the discussion or are able to answer my question then don't let the door hit you on the way out pal.

If you want to trade suspension knowledge by the way I have 10 years experience building and racing 600cc Yamahas so I know how suspension works thanks.

My question was around how the Ohlins R&T feels when compared to the 3 settings on the standard car. If anyone actually owns this suspenaion and is willing to answer my question I would love to hear from you.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 01:18 PM   #84
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim996 View Post
How does it change the damping then smartass? The spring rate cant change so the car has to be mechanically turning a screw somewhere to restrict the oil flow through the dampers. I'm sure there is some different technical explanation in an online BMW manual you've spent your lonely Friday evenings poring over but to be honest I dont really give a shit and I havent got the time to go and look it up.

I love forums......you ask a simple question to the guy who started the post and you get everyone chipping in to show how clever they are.....if you haven't anything to add to the discussion or are able to answer my question then don't let the door hit you on the way out pal.

If you want to trade suspension knowledge by the way I have 10 years experience building and racing 600cc Yamahas so I know how suspension works thanks.

My question was around how the Ohlins R&T feels when compared to the 3 settings on the standard car. If anyone actually owns this suspenaion and is willing to answer my question I would love to hear from you.
Settle down.

TRZ06 was just making the correct statement that PASSIVE suspension on the M3/M4 is indeed not adjustable. From what you've described, you do not have the passive suspension; rather, you have the ADAPTIVE suspension.

Now that we got that out of the way, the Ohlins TTX kit available for this chassis is very different from the Ohlins RT. The TTX is built on an individual basis and is highly customized to the user's needs/taste. The RT is a rather simple coilover design that has one knob to adjust both compression and rebound; what those ratios are, I do not know. But one thing that is for certain, the RT is geared more towards street performance while the TTX is heavily geared toward track performance.

Another note, the TTX can be configured to use a true "Coil over shock" design unlike the RT.

You can find more information about the TTX kit here: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1129675
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 01:22 PM   #85
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Adaptive suspension is adjustable

Passive is fixed
09' C6 Z06
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 02:56 PM   #86
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim996 View Post

Jim, the US market gets a choice of passive or adaptive dampers, as you know we only get the adaptive as standard in the UK with no passive damper option.

I think that's where some of your confusion lies.
      08-12-2016, 12:39 PM   #87
hwalk
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

As far as I know the TTX Kit is not available yet. As I know from my mountain bike downhill racing days figuring out an individual proper set up regarding rebound and high low speed compression is a kind of science. I think with a sports car it's even more complicated. So I think the R&T will do very well if you're not a pro racer with tons of set up knowledge... and I guess the TTX will be twice the price of the R&T...
      08-13-2016, 12:39 AM   #88
jim996
Private First Class
Rep

Sorry guys my mistake. Didn't realise the suspension was different for the 2 markets.
Appreciate 0