Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-20-2019, 09:28 AM   #23
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzargarpur View Post
Unless youre pretty well off or are one of those people who would "never" tune their car, the CSL is garbage. way too overpriced. You can pick up a new or used M2C, throw on some proper racing wheels, top tier suspension, tune, bolt on, invest a few thousand into weigh reduction and itll smoke a CSL.
Faulty logic. You can say that about any car.
Appreciate 2
blockdoc373.00
D675PDX239.50
      11-20-2019, 09:57 AM   #24
D675PDX
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 | 2018 Aprilia Tuono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
Faulty logic. You can say that about any car.
But OP is clearly an expert. Disregard the fact that it doesn't sound like he's actually driven any of the cars he's mentioned....he's got hot takes, so just go with it!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 12:57 PM   #25
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

Thread title should read - "why settle for an M2 when I can have an M4"

I can't see any reason except financial to pick an M2 over an M4.

The M4 is near perfect in my mind - except it lacks the slightly bulging rear arches of the M3 and C63 coupe - which soften the looks from the rear.

That aside the M4 is a total menace - basically a road race car. My M4CS is a joy to drive everytime I step in.

Last edited by drgmt; 01-14-2020 at 04:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 01:59 PM   #26
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by D675PDX View Post
But OP is clearly an expert. Disregard the fact that it doesn't sound like he's actually driven any of the cars he's mentioned....he's got hot takes, so just go with it!
OP owns a 4 banger mustang enough said
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 11:56 PM   #27
climax_e92
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92

OP you should save more money if you can't afford the M2 in the specs you want. You should also go to a dealer and at least test drive the 2 cars you mentioned. Which seems like you have not done.
16 F82 M4 Frequency Intelligent F1 Exhaust - VRSF downpipes - BBS CI-R custom finish - H&R Springs - Injen DCI intake - CG Precision Valve Controller - BootMod3 full E85 - Custom Roll Cage - Varis Diffuser - PSM GT Wing - V style Lip
https://www.instagram.com/m4_teh/
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 03:10 AM   #28
sna66
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

M2 is a girls car, jk, no but really
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 10:06 AM   #29
No.401_Speed
Army Veteran
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 BSM & 2009 E-92 BSM

A Boat?

Tzargarpur,

I think you succeeded in your efforts to stir up the hornet's nest. When you put down someone else's ride you're bound to get push back. And I don't know who would ever describe an M4 as a boat under any comparison. Having said that, I'm sure all of us would wish you good luck in finding the car that's right for you and we'd gladly welcome you within the ranks of M owners.

Your question is relevant, because recent developments with the M2 that added the de-tuned S55, creates a potent street/track package, but I'd respectfully suggest that you do your research to pick the right combination of features and performance, and ability to add modifications to meet your track requirements. I've driven both cars, and for me the M4 is hands-down the superior model, and yet, I know other guys who have owned M4s and they absolutely love their new M2. So it comes down to personal taste but one thing is for sure and that is you can trust that either model will provide a great ride at the price point you have in mind.

Here's an article from Motor Trend where they compare track performance between the M2 and M4. https://www.motortrend.com/news/bmw-...bling-rivalry/ The editors expected the M4 to dominate the M2, but it didn't. And the reason is that the torque comes on so strong out of a curve, the M4 overwhelms the OEM rubber at the rear wheels. Solution - equip your M4 with 295s or 305s to plant and use all that torque/HP coming out of those corners. In the end, the M4 has greater potential. If you search a bit more on the web, you'll find other comparison tests where the M4 is the faster car so much of this is subjective to the conditions of the day and skill of the driver.

Here's a good example using the 911 Porche in comparison with the M4. The professional driver explains it all at the end of the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scXXhmknySA With the 2015 M4 running PSS 275s on the rear, versus the 2015 911 Porche running 295s or 305s according to spec at purchase, then the M4 is at a serious disadvantage despite it's greater horse power.

Good luck on your search.

Last edited by No.401_Speed; 11-21-2019 at 10:22 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2019, 10:27 AM   #30
tzargarpur
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
OP owns a 4 banger mustang enough said
First car I bought was a new mustang, second will be an M4. Im definitely doing something wrong because my choices clearly suck, right?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 10:30 AM   #31
tzargarpur
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No.401_Speed View Post
Tzargarpur,

I think you succeeded in your efforts to stir up the hornet's nest. When you put down someone else's ride you're bound to get push back. And I don't know who would ever describe an M4 as a boat under any comparison. Having said that, I'm sure all of us would wish you good luck in finding the car that's right for you and we'd gladly welcome you within the ranks of M owners.

Good luck on your search.
Thanks for the info brother, definitely going to check everything out. The more I look into it, the more I lean towards the M4. Itll be cheaper to buy and I definitely wont mind the extra power.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 11:32 AM   #32
No.401_Speed
Army Veteran
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 BSM & 2009 E-92 BSM

Motocross Classes

Just had one more thought on your original question. Here's a link to the Optima Battery Search for the Ultimate Street Car competition that pits street legal cars in various categories driving through a series of events designed to test various performance and engineering aspects of each competitor. You might want to explore the category regulations to get some idea of exactly what your M2/M4 configuration might look like.

https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-u...ate-street-car

I can't say that I know much at all about the inner workings of this series, but I do enjoy watching these guys flog their rides at tracks across NA.

Hope this helps.

Speed
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 11:55 AM   #33
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
First car I bought was a new mustang, second will be an M4. Im definitely doing something wrong because my choices clearly suck, right?
It was too easy not to comment lol

But all jokes aside, I think you're going about this the wrong way and your seeing some of these comments reflect that.

Do yourself a favor, go test drive all the variants, religiously use the search button and look at some of the popular threads, then come back here and start by saying I drove this and this, what do you guys think. I think you'll get a more genuine response.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 03:04 PM   #34
tzargarpur
Private
Rep

Quote:
It was too easy not to comment lol

But all jokes aside, I think you're going about this the wrong way and your seeing some of these comments reflect that.

Do yourself a favor, go test drive all the variants, religiously use the search button and look at some of the popular threads, then come back here and start by saying I drove this and this, what do you guys think. I think you'll get a more genuine response.
Ive driven an M2, need to get behind the wheel of an M4. And ecoboosts get too much hate lol. a good negotiator can grab one for ~21k. For 21k new there isnt anything remotely close to this cars looks, speed, handling and braking.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 03:17 PM   #35
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ive driven an M2, need to get behind the wheel of an M4. And ecoboosts get too much hate lol. a good negotiator can grab one for ~21k. For 21k new there isnt anything remotely close to this cars looks, speed, handling and braking.
Drive all variants. You're missing the M2C, M4 base, M4 comp, M4CS.
It's 5.0 or nothing LOL. You can get a used one for pretty cheap now.
Also doesn't help the fact that every young person driving a ecoboost mustang always tries to race me. 5.0's never mess with me.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 03:27 PM   #36
tzargarpur
Private
Rep

Quote:
Drive all variants. You're missing the M2C, M4 base, M4 comp, M4CS.
It's 5.0 or nothing LOL. You can get a used one for pretty cheap now.
Also doesn't help the fact that every young person driving a ecoboost mustang always tries to race me. 5.0's never mess with me.

Only considering a regular M4 or M2. 5.0 is great if you want to be a drag racer. And if we're talking used theirs endless cars. But brand new the ecoboost stang is the best value sports car.
Appreciate 0