GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-25-2022, 10:07 PM   #1
stevehifi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

most aggressive street pad with no noise

Hi Guys,

I know this topic has been probably hashed out before, but if someone can chime in again, can you let me know from personal experience what the most aggressive street pad you can buy that doesn't have any noise (for stock f80 caliper). Again not looking to run a track pad on the street (will switch when necessary) but need something aggressive for canyon carving.

Here's a quick list (maybe someone can sort the list by highest CoF and temp range):
-Stoptech Sport
-PFC Z rated
-Hawk ceramic
-Hawk HPS 5.0
-Porterfield R4S
-Carbotech 1521
-EBC redstuff
-Akebono Euro

Thanks,
Steve
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 11:39 PM   #2
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

most aggressive street pad with no noise

From my direct personal experience on your list:

Stoptech Sport >>>>>>> Porterfield R4S >> Hawk HPS 5.0 >>>>>>> Akebono Euro
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 11:53 PM   #3
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

I use DS2500s - free replacement from FCP and compatible with their track pads. I find them to be better than stock pads but require a little bit of warming up from cold to really shine over stock. Dusty as all hell tho - as bad as the stock pads. No noise whatsoever from them and I had screeching from the stock pads all the time.
hellokitty2894.00
      01-26-2022, 12:05 AM   #4
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
I use DS2500s - free replacement from FCP and compatible with their track pads. I find them to be better than stock pads but require a little bit of warming up from cold to really shine over stock. Dusty as all hell tho - as bad as the stock pads. No noise whatsoever from them and I had screeching from the stock pads all the time.
Is cold bite an issue then on the DS2500?

That's the one thing I've always been afraid of… I know for a fact Stoptech Sport has better than OEM cold bite which is what I liked about them.

I've always wanted to try the DS2500 but performance cold has been my only concern.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 12:38 AM   #5
stevehifi
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post

Ok so you're saying Stoptech sport is the most aggressive? That's interesting because that's what I have on the car now and I find its too mild.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 12:41 AM   #6
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

That's the one thing I've always been afraid of… I know for a fact Stoptech Sport has better than OEM cold bite which is what I liked about them.

I've always wanted to try the DS2500 but performance cold has been my only concern.
It's not a huge issue I don't think, but I have noticed the cold bite felt better on stock pads. Once there is a little bit of temp in the DS2500 I think they are definitely more aggressive than stock and not overly grabby, at least nothing I can't smooth out with pedal modulation. I ran them at both HPDE & AutoX and they are pretty consistent but certainly Ferodo's dedicated pads would be better for dedicated track if you're fast (which I'm not... yet lol) - they were great in AutoX tho since they aren't subjected to real high temps like on track.
hellokitty2894.00
      01-26-2022, 12:43 AM   #7
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi View Post
Quote:

Ok so you're saying Stoptech sport is the most aggressive? That's interesting because that's what I have on the car now and I find its too mild.
Do you have upgraded SS brake lines? Those make a pretty big difference in pedal feel.

What areas do you feel the Stoptech sport is lacking? Heat resistance? Cold bite?

I think the next step up "street" pad would be something like this…

https://endlessusa.com/products/brak...road-car/mx-72

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 09:22 AM   #8
stevehifi
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi View Post
Quote:

Do you have upgraded SS brake lines? Those make a pretty big difference in pedal feel.

What areas do you feel the Stoptech sport is lacking? Heat resistance? Cold bite?

I think the next step up "street" pad would be something like this…

https://endlessusa.com/products/brak...road-car/mx-72
Yes I'm running SS lines. The stop tech pads have a nice smooth linear bite but they struggle when slowing from high speeds.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 02:46 PM   #9
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Stoptech Sport definitely lacks cold bite and I find them to fade even faster than OEM pads but they're cheap, quiet, and dust free.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 04:22 PM   #10
IVM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:

I've never noticed cold bite being an issue with the DS2500. Have used it on two cars so far including the F80. Great combination street and light track pad for me. No squeaks usually. The dusting is comparable to OEM, possibly even slightly better. I'd recommend trying them, especially from FCPEuro with free replacements.
Appreciate 1
hellokitty2894.00