Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

10-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #441
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
It seems you are not up on the latest turbo tech from BMW M. Their unique intake manifold routing is another design feature not really possible in an inline configuration. They system contributes to less lag.

Yeah I know, I know... lag is misused jargon and a "non existent" problem that silly BMW marketeers and tinkerers are trying to solve anyway...

Read up here on cross-bank turbo charging.

The configuration is also more compact and contributes to an improved weight distribution. One drawback of the V6 is that is requires considerable mechanical balancing (robs some power) whereas the I6 has perfect first and second order balance.
swamp2

You impress me that you are taking an interest in Turbo charging ....Nice one!

Unfortunately the cross bank only works with V8's a V6 would not work any better than how the twin scroll works on the current N55.

Nice you've also discovered how balanced an I6 is, absolutely naturally balanced.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #442
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
swamp2

You impress me that you are taking an interest in Turbo charging ....Nice one!

Unfortunately the cross bank only works with V8's a V6 would not work any better than how the twin scroll works on the current N55.

Nice you've also discovered how balanced an I6 is, absolutely naturally balanced.
I'm not nearly as anti turbo as you believe. I am however, anti big, single, high pressure turbo...

The cross bank idea is combined with a twin scroll. Both contribute to less lag.

You can find pretty old postings here on this forum with me discussing various engine configurations and their balance properties...
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #443
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you not think that it is the cylinder head that makes the biggest difference to defining what 'special' is?

I'm pretty sure the S55 will have a all new cylinder head, pistons and conrods. Most likely Crankshaft too. For sure the Turbo arrangement will be unique, and according to the GURU above BMW M will ensure it has NO lag as that is what people want
Not sure if that was directed more at Uli or me. Either way I will bite.

The heads indeed can be a huge part of turning an ordinary engine into a much more special and high performance one. The M3/4 will undoubtedly have a heavily modified or entirely different head. I am not so sure it will require different internals such pistons, rods and crank. The cost/volume side of the equation leads me to believe those will be common.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #444
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'm not nearly as anti turbo as you believe. I am however, anti big, single, high pressure turbo...

The cross bank idea is combined with a twin scroll. Both contribute to less lag.

You can find pretty old postings here on this forum with me discussing various engine configurations and their balance properties...
Ah no, a big efficient single turbo N55 producing 500hp mated to an eight speed DSG.....now that is my idea of M3 heaven

......with CSL lightweight bits on of course.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #445
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Not sure if that was directed more at Uli or me. Either way I will bite.

The heads indeed can be a huge part of turning an ordinary engine into a much more special and high performance one. The M3/4 will undoubtedly have a heavily modified or entirely different head. I am not so sure it will require different internals such pistons, rods and crank. The cost/volume side of the equation leads me to believe those will be common.
If they apply more boost they might want to go forged pistons, not sure what N55 already has. I wouldn't be surprised if they stretch it to the traditional 3.2litre...no??
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #446
RonSwanson
**Fortune Favors The Brave**
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

Garage List
Out with the old, in with the new.

I was looking forward to getting the V8 M3 Sedan in a couple years but right now I'm a bit sad its just a reworked/revamped V6 335 engine. Not that there's anything wrong with the N55 engine...I'm sure it will be faster and more fuel efficient etc, than the outgoing M3 (as it should be) but I LOVED the way that V8 sounded.
      10-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #447
Carl L
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post

I was looking forward to getting the V8 M3 Sedan in a couple years but right now I'm a bit sad its just a reworked/revamped V6 335 engine. Not that there's anything wrong with the N55 engine...I'm sure it will be faster and more fuel efficient etc, than the outgoing M3 (as it should be) but I LOVED the way that V8 sounded.
I'm assuming typo, just a heads up before the vultures move in.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #448
RonSwanson
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl L View Post
I'm assuming typo, just a heads up before the vultures move in.
Thanks for the heads up, I guess I'm confused because the first post of this thread says it'll be an inline 6. The video sounded like a 6 too unless I need to check my hearing. I haven't read most of the thread yet, time to do some skimming.
      10-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #449
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If they apply more boost they might want to go forged pistons, not sure what N55 already has. I wouldn't be surprised if they stretch it to the traditional 3.2litre...no??
The displacement of the new engine is a matter of debate. There is also some debate on what is forged in the N54 and N55. Best I can tell is that the N54 had a forged crank whereas the N55 has a cast one. However, the newer cast design was actually significantly lighter (3 kg). The resulting change was likely driven by a cost cutting exercise. Some claim the N54 also had forged Mahle pistons but others say not. I think the con rods in both are cast based on these pictures.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #450
Carl L
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up, I guess I'm confused because the first post of this thread says it'll be an inline 6. The video sounded like a 6 too unless I need to check my hearing. I haven't read most of the thread yet, time to do some skimming.
Your ears are good - It is indeed a 6 but the 335 engine is an inline configuration not a V. Looks like this will be an I too. Quite a few people get annoyed when people mistake BMW's I6 as Vs.
Okay, I'm done interfering and geeking out
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 09:31 PM   #451
RonSwanson
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl L View Post
Your ears are good - It is indeed a 6 but the 335 engine is an inline configuration not a V. Looks like this will be an I too. Quite a few people get annoyed when people mistake BMW's I6 as Vs.
Okay, I'm done interfering and geeking out
Thx for the clarification. I do realize itll be an inline 6 just like the 335. Was just commenting on how it sounds. If the vultures' only food source are people who say v6, they'll surely starve.
      10-03-2012, 10:53 PM   #452
US///M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor

Quote:

They're not gonna use the reworked/revamped V6 335 engine this time,it's gonna be based on the twin turbo inline 6.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 11:12 PM   #453
RonSwanson
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by US///M3 View Post
They're not gonna use the reworked/revamped V6 335 engine this time,it's gonna be based on the twin turbo inline 6.
Potato potatoe.
      10-04-2012, 03:31 AM   #454
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The displacement of the new engine is a matter of debate. There is also some debate on what is forged in the N54 and N55. Best I can tell is that the N54 had a forged crank whereas the N55 has a cast one. However, the newer cast design was actually significantly lighter (3 kg). The resulting change was likely driven by a cost cutting exercise. Some claim the N54 also had forged Mahle pistons but others say not. I think the con rods in both are cast based on these pictures.
I would like to think BMW will use displacement to differentiate the S55(??) from N55, and using a specific to S55 longer stroke forged crank would be a sensible way to achieve that.

Cast cranks have made a bit of a resurgence, think it's down to a new process that reduces the porosity.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #455
US///M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor

Quote:
Potato potatoe.
Okay Ronnie,there's no difference between an inline 6 and V6.
Both engines go Vroooom.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 11:35 AM   #456
RonSwanson
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by US///M3 View Post
Okay Ronnie,there's no difference between an inline 6 and V6.
Both engines go Vroooom.

You're the V6 vulture Carl warned me about. SHOO!!
      10-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #457
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would like to think BMW will use displacement to differentiate the S55(??) from N55, and using a specific to S55 longer stroke forged crank would be a sensible way to achieve that.

Cast cranks have made a bit of a resurgence, think it's down to a new process that reduces the porosity.
Both an increased displacement and forged crank would be sensible and welcomed changes to make the engine both better and more special. Unfortunately those are no longer the driving forces at BMW M. That being said, I certainly would not rule them out.

Despite process, with a similar design, I doubt there is any way to get the same consistency, yield strength nor fatigue resistance from a cast product.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 03:50 PM   #458
Uli_HH
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90)/ 523i Touring

SORRY, but if the engine specs in this thread are correct ... and I think they would be, than that would be very bad news - engine wise ... torque increase but no hp-increase means that it only counts to make the engine as cheap as possible
An torque increase is an easy thing in the case of an turbo engine, but if they really cancel the planed/promised power increase to at least ~450hp that means that there is simple no more growth potential in the chosen N55 based I6 ... if there would be this potential I am to 100% shure the engine would have no less than 450hp !!!

Since my infos say clearly that the new S55(?) would be nearly in the same weight class of the S65 ... which the better end for the V8(!) ... it make for me no really sence to drop the great S65 for the S55(?) - performence wise not cost wise(!) ... I am 100% certain that with the better packing and even lighter N/A V8 in the overall F8x would perform even better and would be much moreo fun to drive (with an only slightly worse mpg number!) ... M3s were never high low-end-torque cars but yet in als cases better than all competitors ... they were real race cars in an coupe/sedan outfit never torque monsters !!!

Looks as if the BMW AG prepared from pure profit reasons to sacrifice almost everything that has identified a previously M3 ... the new M3 is from the motor point of something completely different than we are used to - more boring surfing on the torque wave as spontaneous biting revving -> more 335i than just a real M3 driver and fan can be right.

The rest of the car seems to be as great as expected ... agressive sporty styling and much lower weight ... seems as I should look if I can get an nearly new S65 from ebay and go to Manhart to get the real exciting new M3.

Greets Uli_HH

Last edited by Uli_HH; 10-04-2012 at 03:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #459
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli_HH View Post
SORRY, but if the engine specs in this thread are correct ... and I think they would be, than that would be very bad news - engine wise ... torque increase but no hp-increase means that it only counts to make the engine as cheap as possible
An torque increase is an easy thing in the case of an turbo engine, but if they really cancel the planed/promised power increase to at least ~450hp that means that there is simple no more growth potential in the chosen N55 based I6 ... if there would be this potential I am to 100% shure the engine would have no less than 450hp !!!

Since my infos say clearly that the new S55(?) would be nearly in the same weight class of the S65 ... which the better end for the V8(!) ... it make for me no really sence to drop the great S65 for the S55(?) - performence wise not cost wise(!) ... I am 100% certain that with the better packing and even lighter N/A V8 the overall F8x would performe even better and would be no fun to drive ... M3s were never high low-end-torque cars but yet in als cases better than all competitors ... they were real race cars in an coupe/sedan outfit never torque monsters !!!

Looks as if the BMW AG prepared from pure profit reasons to sacrifice almost everything that has identified a previously M3 ... the new M3 is from the motor point of something completely different than we are used to - more boring surfing on the torque wave as spontaneous biting revving -> more 335i than just a real M3 driver and fan can be right.

The rest of the car seen to be as great as expected ... agressive sporty styling and much lower weight ... seems as I should look if I can get an nearly new S65 from ebay and go to Manhart to get the real exciting new M3.

Greets Uli_HH
That spec can't be right, 395lb.ft is 420hp at just over 5500rpm. You would need a significant drop off of torque above this to keep the hp at 420 ish. Not a characteristic of a well turbo charged engine.

On the turbo sizing front, that is quite a small turbo for a 3litre engine, a big (not that big) single capable of 450hp will come on boost by 2500rpm quite easily on it's own. A twin turbo system much lower. Really hope BMW aren't focussing on a 'no lag' approach sacrificing high rev punch. If so they may as well change the M3 into D3 and fit it with a diesel engine (330D produces 413ft.lb of torque).
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 07:07 PM   #460
auaq
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 03 530i

Has anyone noticed something funny in that engine compartment?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 11:03 PM   #461
SSJVegita
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 BMW M3

nope nothing popped to me, what did you notice?

come on spill the beansssss lol
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 07:02 AM   #462
auaq
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 03 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJVegita View Post
nope nothing popped to me, what did you notice?

come on spill the beansssss lol
Well don't give up yet! Look again.
Appreciate 0