BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-12-2018, 08:18 PM   #1
NoMoreAudi
Second Lieutenant
75
Rep
205
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Car bogged and became unresponsive after using launch control

Has anyone else had this issue? This has happened to me twice now. My car has never been tuned (2018, less than 2000 miles) and the only modification is a midpipe.

I launched the car at 3k RPM and after the wheels began to spin immediately in 1st so I let off the gas. When I tried to accelerate again, nothing happened. I floored the gas, let off the gas, floored again... nothing. No acceleration / RPM increase at all. Tried 30-50% throttle. Nothing. I tried to shift into 2nd gear, which I think it did (wasn't paying attention as I was blocking traffic at this point since I was basically coasting towards 0mph from 20mph or so) and that didn't help. Downshifted into 1st, went to auto matic mode... nothing. Finally, after 20 or 30 seconds of trying to accelerate, it did. Something funny happened - a prius was honking at me! Damn you, prius.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 08:12 AM   #2
Kimeran
Private
South Africa
57
Rep
83
Posts

Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Johannesburg

iTrader: (0)

I have experienced this before. Activate launch control, release brake, needing to get off the gas for what ever reason immediately after releasing the brake and the car would stutter and crawl for a little while then it was fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 12:08 PM   #3
NoMoreAudi
Second Lieutenant
75
Rep
205
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post
I have experienced this before. Activate launch control, release brake, needing to get off the gas for what ever reason immediately after releasing the brake and the car would stutter and crawl for a little while then it was fine.
How long did it take before you could start accelerating again?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 12:33 PM   #4
shortseller
Brigadier General
shortseller's Avatar
United_States
717
Rep
3,016
Posts

Drives: 2018 Azurite M3 ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NOVA

iTrader: (0)

The dct gods were angry no doubt!

I’m guessing it was protecting itself from the abuse? Maybe slipping?

I recently pick up a dct myself so take this with a grain of salt, on pick up day my genius, LOL, told me too many launches will void the warranty. They get recorded in the ecu. True or not, I’m not sure.
__________________

Last edited by shortseller; 06-13-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 07:43 PM   #5
cartOC
Private
16
Rep
89
Posts

Drives: AW M4
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Orange County

iTrader: (0)

I am a Genius, each one is recorded.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 08:07 PM   #6
shortseller
Brigadier General
shortseller's Avatar
United_States
717
Rep
3,016
Posts

Drives: 2018 Azurite M3 ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NOVA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartOC View Post
I am a Genius, each one is recorded.
Well then, what’s the magic number Genius?
__________________
Appreciate 3
Zayzel331.50
M00111504.50

      06-13-2018, 09:29 PM   #7
nicknaz
Major General
nicknaz's Avatar
United_States
1962
Rep
8,961
Posts

Drives: E84 X135
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

Weird, that never happened to me. Did you immediately lift completely or did you feather the throttle to minimize the wheel spin?

In my experience if you feather the throttle the car is able to accelerate (and create a smoke show)
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 12:09 AM   #8
NOLATom
Second Lieutenant
87
Rep
204
Posts

Drives: 2016 M3
Join Date: May 2016
Location: New Orleans

iTrader: (0)

So let me get this straight..... Every commercial I see of an M car is literally pushing the cars to their limits and therefore leads me to believe I am purchasing a product in which I can also perform the same heart pounding driving maneuvers without causing harm to the car....but, if I do try to mimic what was advertised to me prior to me purchasing the car, it will void the warranty? Seems to me the commercials should be labeled as fiction then if they are incapable of performing the advertised functions without failure.

Now to your problem, the first time I used launch control, I had an odd thing also happen to me. The engine revved and the wheels did not spin and eventually it sputtered along, but there was no launch. It was as though the clutch had lost all grip, and this was on low mileage non-abused car, yet the rpm’s hit the limits and the transmission was shifting at least according to my heads up display as the car moved slowly along. My passenger and I were trying to figure out what actually happened. There were no tire marks for sure and the car never drifted as though the tires were indeed spinning. So, I tried it again and this time, tires spun and the cay launched. I have no explanation for it.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 09:57 AM   #9
M4Now!
Captain
205
Rep
657
Posts

Drives: MG / SO F83
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

OP, did you launch the car using Launch Control? If so, I'm pretty sure if you lift it leaves launch control - you're supposed to keep it pinned, and let the car shift.

Not sure why it then when into limp mode tho, maybe a diagnostic thing from entering then leaving LC quickly?

Cheers
__________________


Bye bye E93 M3 - Hello F83 M4!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 01:09 PM   #10
NoMoreAudi
Second Lieutenant
75
Rep
205
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
My car has almost 2000 miles and I got the 1200 mile service completed. Yes, the revs were holding steady at 3k RPM, the lowest setting available.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 01:49 PM   #11
shortseller
Brigadier General
shortseller's Avatar
United_States
717
Rep
3,016
Posts

Drives: 2018 Azurite M3 ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NOVA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreAudi View Post
My car has almost 2000 miles and I got the 1200 mile service completed. Yes, the revs were holding steady at 3k RPM, the lowest setting available.
Maybe they forgot to enable burn out mode at the 1200?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 05:36 PM   #12
TheStanman
New Member
6
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: 2015 M3, Mineral Grey
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

I had the same thing happen to me. Did launch control and quickly let off the throttle. Car was completely unresponsive to any throttle input. I had come to a complete stop and toggle back to D before being able to move.

2015 M3 stock.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 06:43 PM   #13
NoMoreAudi
Second Lieutenant
75
Rep
205
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
So it seems to be a very isolated incident but with more than a few owners sharing the same story, there must be many more out there.

My car was at operating temp, all 4 tires over 90F, steering wheel straight, first launch of the week, etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 06:45 PM   #14
NoMoreAudi
Second Lieutenant
75
Rep
205
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLATom View Post
So let me get this straight..... Every commercial I see of an M car is literally pushing the cars to their limits and therefore leads me to believe I am purchasing a product in which I can also perform the same heart pounding driving maneuvers without causing harm to the car....but, if I do try to mimic what was advertised to me prior to me purchasing the car, it will void the warranty? Seems to me the commercials should be labeled as fiction then if they are incapable of performing the advertised functions without failure.

Now to your problem, the first time I used launch control, I had an odd thing also happen to me. The engine revved and the wheels did not spin and eventually it sputtered along, but there was no launch. It was as though the clutch had lost all grip, and this was on low mileage non-abused car, yet the rpm’s hit the limits and the transmission was shifting at least according to my heads up display as the car moved slowly along. My passenger and I were trying to figure out what actually happened. There were no tire marks for sure and the car never drifted as though the tires were indeed spinning. So, I tried it again and this time, tires spun and the cay launched. I have no explanation for it.
I completely agree on the commercial and marketing aspect. When I think of performance, I don't think of limitations and having to "limit" my driving.
Appreciate 1
NOLATom87.00

      06-15-2018, 08:13 PM   #15
M0011
Major General
M0011's Avatar
1505
Rep
5,098
Posts

Drives: ∞ Improbability Drive
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: FL

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
Well then, what’s the magic number Genius?
The answer is 42.
__________________
///f80 YMB/SS 6MT ZCP | f80 | f30 |e92 | tt | S5 | e92 | 350z | e90 |
Appreciate 1
stormlv338.00

      06-19-2018, 12:02 AM   #16
jailonacs99
Private First Class
jailonacs99's Avatar
68
Rep
175
Posts

Drives: 2015 M4 (F82)
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [5.00]
Am I the only one thinking that using launch from a public stoplight was comically irresponsible? Regardless, I do get both frustrated and a kick out of the image of OP launching at a traffic light in a shiny new F8X bogging and then getting honked at by the Prius behind him.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 07:26 AM   #17
Kimeran
Private
South Africa
57
Rep
83
Posts

Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Johannesburg

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreAudi View Post
How long did it take before you could start accelerating again?
A few seconds, maybe 5 or so seconds
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 07:29 AM   #18
Kimeran
Private
South Africa
57
Rep
83
Posts

Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Johannesburg

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0011 View Post
The answer is 42.
Really? Pretty sure I went passed this number already
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 01:18 PM   #19
NoMoreAudi
Second Lieutenant
75
Rep
205
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jailonacs99 View Post
Am I the only one thinking that using launch from a public stoplight was comically irresponsible? Regardless, I do get both frustrated and a kick out of the image of OP launching at a traffic light in a shiny new F8X bogging and then getting honked at by the Prius behind him.
It was a new experience.

There was no one around me. The Prius was probably a block away...
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:07 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST