Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

06-03-2018, 04:18 PM   #287
M3Meh
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw m3 f80

I've read this thread and not sure what to do, I can't get away from the DCT clutch judder/shaking when in manual s1 mode (I have an M3 F80). My setup is: s+ throttle, s suspension and s steering and lowest gear change setting.

In manual mode the clutch judders (car shakes) in first gear when I am gaining speed (between 1k to 4k RPM). I have to change to second gear for the judder/shaking to stop. This happens a lot, even when I try to be as smooth as possible on the accelerator (it's very senstive). The judder doesn't occur when in second gear (if it does, it's very infrequent) and there is no judder at all in other gears (I'm in sport plus in throttle, s steering and s suspension). I also notice that the shaking/judder happens when I suddenly go over a bump in 1st/2nd gear too.

I find it hard to believe that these symptoms are normal. Anyone experience these issues specifically?

I may have to get the dealership to look into it (still under warranty and low miles - 12k).
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 07:19 AM   #288
sandjam
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016

There is nothing wrong with the car. I am not sure why people think 1st gear is a gear you can stay in for anything but a few seconds. 1st gear is just to get the car moving, that's all. You are giving it too much throttle in the wrong gear in an aggressive Sport mode. Shift to second quickly.
Also watch the cluster when it downshifts too. You will notice it goes into first literally right before you stop.

That mode is too aggressive to be in 1st gear for more than a second or too, simple as that.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 08:19 AM   #289
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOM3 View Post
It can be jerky but it's mostly user error.
+1

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 11:23 AM   #290
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 G80 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
+1
+2
In addition if you don’t control the accelerator correctly the car will buck forward like a wild horse.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 02:55 PM   #291
M3Meh
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandjam View Post
There is nothing wrong with the car. I am not sure why people think 1st gear is a gear you can stay in for anything but a few seconds. 1st gear is just to get the car moving, that's all. You are giving it too much throttle in the wrong gear in an aggressive Sport mode. Shift to second quickly.
Also watch the cluster when it downshifts too. You will notice it goes into first literally right before you stop.

That mode is too aggressive to be in 1st gear for more than a second or too, simple as that.
You are right my friend. Tested the car in all different setting combinations. Started off with all settings in comfort and get no judder at all. All settings in sport give no judder either. If I choose throttle to be sport plus (even when all others are in comfort) I get judder/shaking when putting the foot down in 1st gear. It's too sensitive.
I love how the car sounds in sport plus, annoying it cannot be used (I'm no newbie to performance cars btw). I've read some people find it very sensitive and some don't at all, which makes me think it could be due to a firmware update or something. BMW ought to have done a better job when setting these functions up.
Also, I've learnt that it's not DCT judder/slippage, it's loss of tyre traction. The DCT itself doesn't cause it.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 10:15 PM   #292
Hachima
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
2022 BMW X3M  [0.00]
2016 BMW 340Xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Meh View Post
You are right my friend. Tested the car in all different setting combinations. Started off with all settings in comfort and get no judder at all. All settings in sport give no judder either. If I choose throttle to be sport plus (even when all others are in comfort) I get judder/shaking when putting the foot down in 1st gear. It's too sensitive.
I love how the car sounds in sport plus, annoying it cannot be used (I'm no newbie to performance cars btw). I've read some people find it very sensitive and some don't at all, which makes me think it could be due to a firmware update or something. BMW ought to have done a better job when setting these functions up.
Also, I've learnt that it's not DCT judder/slippage, it's loss of tyre traction. The DCT itself doesn't cause it.
Do you happen to know what your tire temps where when you did your tests? I've found that I'll get judder if I baby/hesitate too much in 1st. However right now in the morning my tire temps are ~11c/50f and if I apply too much early acceleration I'll get tire slippage. However once I've driven a bit and tires are start showing ~21c/72f I don't get the slippage while performing the same starts. In addition to the tires being warmed up more I also only have the 2 red bars which may also play a factor into the auto DCT logic. Right now my thought is to not use sport+ acceleration until moving at higher speeds when the tires aren't at better temps.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 10:22 PM   #293
Takumi587
///M3 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05' M3 and 21' Tesla Model 3

Garage List
These judder symptoms sounds like my E46 SMG. I get no judder when engaging 1st gear with my DCT. I do get the bucking when I am flooring it and then let off the gas quickly at a high rpm.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 04:29 PM   #294
M3Meh
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hachima View Post
Do you happen to know what your tire temps where when you did your tests? I've found that I'll get judder if I baby/hesitate too much in 1st. However right now in the morning my tire temps are ~11c/50f and if I apply too much early acceleration I'll get tire slippage. However once I've driven a bit and tires are start showing ~21c/72f I don't get the slippage while performing the same starts. In addition to the tires being warmed up more I also only have the 2 red bars which may also play a factor into the auto DCT logic. Right now my thought is to not use sport+ acceleration until moving at higher speeds when the tires aren't at better temps.
i didn't take notice of the tyre temp. Took it out at night when outside temp was about 15c and tested about after a few minutes warm up. I've seen the same judder when engine is warm after 30 mins driving too.
I'm thinking this has to be some sort of computer fault/setting when it reads how much pressure you put on the peddle when throttle is in sport plus. Will get it checked out at the dealer some point this year. For now, Sport mode it is...
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 04:33 PM   #295
M3Meh
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi587 View Post
These judder symptoms sounds like my E46 SMG. I get no judder when engaging 1st gear with my DCT. I do get the bucking when I am flooring it and then let off the gas quickly at a high rpm.
Hm i see, well the only way i don't get judder (when in sport +) in 1st is when i very lightly (like a snail almost) build up the rpm in first. Then once I'm past around 3-4k revs, I can keep flooring the sucker without it jerking.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 09:15 PM   #296
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 DCT, 2019 Raptor

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
FWIW, although this happened to me a couple of times after the break in service when I started to really get on it out of the hole, I drive around in S+ throttle and S3 DCT all the time (I just want full beans available) and I have not had the bucking issue ar all since I sorted out how to launch it. Now, about 5500 miles on the ODO, I tend to run the DCT in S2 (throttle is in S+ 100% of the time for me), but it is definitely possible to avoid the bucking in S+/S3 with proper technique, even on a moderately spirited pull off the line.

Lots of good advice here, but some have suggested that you have to go full tilt or super timid in S+/S3 to avoid bucking. In my experience, this is just not true. There is definitely a learning curve with this car, but it is very satisfying to get yourself dialed in.

I’m not saying that some have not experienced software issues that may exacerbate the natural tendency of a high powered car with a very short first gear to buck, but ultimately this tendency can be managed by the pilot with some experience.
      06-13-2018, 07:05 AM   #297
silverstar335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05

What ISTA version does your car have, I had similar problems but after getting last year’s latest software version, the problems went away.

I have F020-17-11-540.

Last edited by silverstar335; 06-13-2018 at 07:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 08:50 AM   #298
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

OP stop being so indecisive. Either get on the throttle or get off it. Stop being such a bitch.

J/K ;-)
      06-13-2018, 10:27 AM   #299
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 DCT, 2019 Raptor

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfrk View Post
OP stop being so indecisive. Either get on the throttle or get off it. Stop being such a bitch.

J/K ;-)
Lol. Seriously though OP, if it is an ongoing problem, take it to a dealer or a speed shop and do a test drive with them. See if it happens when someone else drives it.
      06-19-2018, 06:46 PM   #300
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Meh View Post
I've read this thread and not sure what to do, I can't get away from the DCT clutch judder/shaking when in manual s1 mode (I have an M3 F80). My setup is: s+ throttle, s suspension and s steering and lowest gear change setting.

In manual mode the clutch judders (car shakes) in first gear when I am gaining speed (between 1k to 4k RPM). I have to change to second gear for the judder/shaking to stop. This happens a lot, even when I try to be as smooth as possible on the accelerator (it's very senstive). The judder doesn't occur when in second gear (if it does, it's very infrequent) and there is no judder at all in other gears (I'm in sport plus in throttle, s steering and s suspension). I also notice that the shaking/judder happens when I suddenly go over a bump in 1st/2nd gear too.

I find it hard to believe that these symptoms are normal. Anyone experience these issues specifically?

I may have to get the dealership to look into it (still under warranty and low miles - 12k).
If you don't think there is something wrong your car probably isn't as bad as others. I'm going to try the firmware update and see if it improves. BTW I had a 911 Turbo with the pdk and nothing close to this ever happened. DCT isn't as great as people make it out to be.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 08:26 AM   #301
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

Get the GTS DCT tune. Much better much smoother.
      06-21-2018, 08:03 PM   #302
silverstar335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfrk View Post
Get the GTS DCT tune. Much better much smoother.
I can second that
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 06:51 PM   #303
Alexo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Competition + F20 118d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNALUZU View Post
Throttle induced oscillation. It was first noticed with the E39 M5.

Your foot moves ever so slightly back and forth that is hardly noticeable, but it gets into a rhythm with the throttle and causes the bucking.
You have nailed this problem, despite the many smart alecs on here claiming driver error. It's not driver error, but it sure makes you look as if it is! I have owned around 30 different cars in my lifetime and extensively driven many more. The only one of these cars with the same issue was a Honda Prelude with a manual gearbox, back in the late 1980's. It was the exact same problem in that car and I was very happy when it disappeared from my life and so did it's jerkiness from standstill. I couldn't believe that the same design flaw would be found in my expensive BMW M4 Competition in 2018!

It's a throttle sensitivity issue related to suspension setup when setting off in 1st gear from rest, rather than a gearbox issue. Combined with any sort of road surface bump, together they set up a rapid vicious cycle that can result in the car Kangaroo hopping down the road. It can be driven around by backing off the accelerator pedal completely, flooring the accelerator (usually not an option on a busy city street), or manually changing into 2nd gear. An analogy of this problem is the occasional car where the driver's seat spring rate has clearly not been set up in harmony with the vehicle's spring rates. Same-same but different.

If we found this problem in a Korean or Chinese car we'd be poking fun at their primitiveness. But it's certainly an eye opener to find it in a top-tier German car builder. So yes, the issue can be driven around, but it should never exist in the first place in a well designed and well sorted car.
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2018, 07:40 PM   #304
Spritztour
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Never had any issues accelerating in 2018 F80 Competition in Sport+ smooth uninterrupted power endless. My car buckles sometimes in 5 o clock rush hour traffic though.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 02:07 PM   #305
Vader97
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Bucking Sport+?

Hey I just picked up a DCT F83 M4. Just wanted to know if anyone else experiences jerkiness or bucking when in Sport+ in first gear. It felt like I was learning how to drive for the first time lmao
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 02:47 PM   #306
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

just gotta be careful with the throttle. touchy throttle + firm suspension on a bumpy road is gonna make your foot bounce a little. also why a lot of reviewers prefer just leaving the throttle in comfort even for track days.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 02:53 PM   #307
weavingtraffic
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
1990 Mazda Miata  [0.00]
1985 BMW 325e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader97 View Post
Hey I just picked up a DCT F83 M4. Just wanted to know if anyone else experiences jerkiness or bucking when in Sport+ in first gear. It felt like I was learning how to drive for the first time lmao
Yes.. I thought it was a misfire or something was wrong with my car. Hahahaha I'm so glad I'm not the only one. First DCT car and I got it on Friday. So still a bit in shock, but I guess it's normal since you have the same feeling.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 03:03 PM   #308
cartOC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW M4

A car with twin turbos in a more aggressively mapped throttle setting will do that. I'm not really sure what you expected, there's about 100 other threads you could've honestly looked through that extensively talk about this. It's an automatic transmission that acts like a manual transmission, it's not going to be the smoothest experience in sport plus if you don't have good foot control.
Appreciate 0