Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

02-16-2015, 05:31 PM   #89
M4UK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blksnowflake
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Then you should probably buy a different car.

There's absolutely no doubt that cycling anything causes more wear & tear on it, whether it's a light switch, an airplane, or your car. If you're concerned about fuel cost, then this is DEFINITELY the wrong car for you. As for preventing the cooling system from working hard ... again, if these are your concerns then the M4 isn't for you.

Of course just my 2 cents, but shut your ASS off and enjoy the M4 or buy a car that's built for and to your concerns. (that sounds harsher than I mean it to, but the acronym invites excuses to use it)

Thank you. This isn't my first performance vehicle and I didnt buy it for fuel economy. I don't get why the default answer is always "get another car". The feature may or may not be useful to some, just like the other twenty or so features that this luxury vehicle has that have nothing to do with performance. If I wanted a stripped down track car, I can think of better less expensive options. BMW put it in for a reason and if you're an engineer of some sort and are here to inform me that the system is useless because xyz, then thank you and if it does wear components then there are cons, but as some one mentioned, the system has been made more durable to support the repeated ignitions.

That's all I needed to know.
To be honest, I've put 600 plus miles on my car in about a week and half since I bought the car and haven't used it. Personally, I just want to know my car, I plan on keeping this one.
BMW put it in because they have to nod to the emissions regulations.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 06:12 PM   #90
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

At least you can turn off the start/stop feature. Turing off the A/C every time you get into the car must take a toll (however small). That can't be changed so we're stuck with it.
      02-16-2015, 06:17 PM   #91
SMURFDADDY
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB/SS M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy Rich View Post
Is this an increase from what you see without?
About 1.5MPG average. I've mostly been eyeing the fuel gauge which seems to be decreasing at a slower rate....

Again. The savings aren't tremendous, but the system is FAR less intrusive and much more refined than any start/stop that I've used. Mainly from the DCT trans as opposed to a car equipped with an automatic + torque converter.

I suggest you guys at least give it a shot for a full tank of gas and judge for yourselves.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 06:54 PM   #92
Kevlar
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMURFDADDY View Post
About 1.5MPG average. I've mostly been eyeing the fuel gauge which seems to be decreasing at a slower rate....

Again. The savings aren't tremendous, but the system is FAR less intrusive and much more refined than any start/stop that I've used. Mainly from the DCT trans as opposed to a car equipped with an automatic + torque converter.

I suggest you guys at least give it a shot for a full tank of gas and judge for yourselves.
The best way is to zero out the trip counter when you fill up... this way you will see how far you can go with the system enabled vs. disabled.
      02-17-2015, 07:46 AM   #93
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

used it for 3 years on last m3. use it all the time on the m4. came in handy in jacksonville, daytona, and miami this weekend. i use it because its time its not spitting out emissions for no good reason. and it saves some fuel. nothing wrong with that.
the additional wear on the engine would likely be not even measurable. The system doesn't work when the engine is cold. once its warmed up everything is all lubed well. the starter is heavy duty designed for repeated duty. just about everyone in europe uses it and i haven't seen a massive recall on starters or engines blowing up left and right over the past 5 years so i'm guessing its okay to use.

and you can be an enthusiast and use it. and you can have a sports car and still care about emissions. someone tell me i'm not using my own car the right way and should get something more appropriate gets absolutely zero F's from me.
      02-17-2015, 03:18 PM   #94
crypticc
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 DCT + Comp

Hi. My dad used to work for a major electrical motor manufacturer. Big ones. Power generators etc. He looked after beating tolerances etc.
After that he worked for lotus.

First time I took him for a drive in my e92 and it stopped at the lights he couldn't believe it. We had the same discussion about hot oil, oil in the head, and coating the crank, etc. His point was that was guff! When running the bearings float on a film of oil constantly drawn through the bearing as it rotates and when stopped the bearing then squeezes out that film... Something about 99 % of bearing wear is during stopping and stating and doesn't matter whether it is hot or cold...previously running or not.

I wonder if the e9x bearing issues are due to the now famous stop and start and now whether f8x is next in the line for bearing issues.
It would be interesting to know if those who had e9x bearing issues tended to live in cities or have commute with stop start traffic along the way.

Last edited by crypticc; 02-17-2015 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 05:27 PM   #95
SMURFDADDY
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB/SS M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
The best way is to zero out the trip counter when you fill up... this way you will see how far you can go with the system enabled vs. disabled.

I actually prefer using it. Neat feature
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 07:27 AM   #96
dhoggm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 850i C, Gated R8 5.2, E63

I actually like this silly little feature. Passengers are convinced the car has stalled. That's fun.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 08:08 AM   #97
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 YMB/SS ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
Pretty easy habit for me as I try to match up the computers MPG vs. Calculated MPG.

I'll definitely will be trying out the differences, but it will be really hard to keep the foot out of it for a real reading.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 07:34 PM   #98
Kevlar
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

What were the results?
      02-27-2015, 07:53 PM   #99
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 YMB/SS ZCP

Unfortunately, my car is still waiting for a boat. It's almost been a month.

Plus, it will be sitting in my garage till June. I'll surely calculate it then.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 09:39 AM   #100
SL%%
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 525i

time will only tell friend... not enough info as of the moment...
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 12:08 AM   #101
cxbaba
E46
United_States
Rep
Drives: AY F80

any info now that 3 years has passed
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 12:41 PM   #102
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
It's not a fuel saver in the strictest sense. It's an emissions thing. 25k/30mo on mine and it's fine.

Bring on the bullshit excuses for not using it.
I drive in Sport+ DSC off 100% of the time? :
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 12:45 PM   #103
bmrwrld
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I hate that button, It's to close to start / stop button that some times I accidentally activate it. Needs to be seperate and in a different location.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 12:49 PM   #104
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
I drive in Sport+ DSC off 100% of the time? :
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 12:50 PM   #105
Fast4d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

I had to replace the starter on my 90k mile E90. how long do you think starter will last if it's used 10-20 times a day?

stop/start disabled in both my M3 and wife's car.
      06-06-2018, 01:46 PM   #106
GnoiXiaK
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoggm3 View Post
I actually like this silly little feature. Passengers are convinced the car has stalled. That's fun.
Terrifies me if I turn it on accidentally. I always think I've stalled. It's the weirdest sensation in a MT. It's not worth the mini heart attacks. As a creature of habit, I've never gotten used to it
Appreciate 1
420Coupe222.50
      06-06-2018, 07:38 PM   #107
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

It's a horrible feature. I honestly don't know how anyone can tolerate it.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 07:55 AM   #108
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

Given that global warming/climate change is a scam - I don't understand any of this emissions nonsense. Further I couldn't give a crap about the size of my "footprint".

The first thing I did was code of the ASS. Felt good.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 08:51 AM   #109
teemolovesm4
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyboy View Post
Ok, quick question (and not sure maybe someone else already asked)... is the auto start-stop function good for the car (M3/4)? Also, should this be enable during break-in period?

I mean, the constant starting and stopping of the engine cannot be good for the engine? yes? no? thoughts?
Yeah mine is always off and it definitely kills your engine faster. Good thing is that we don't need to turn it off every time we start the car. On my B9 Audi A4, I have to turn it off every time I start the car. My friend's Mercedes glc300 insists to leave the feature on lol. It turns back on during the drive after a few mins u turn it off :
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 03:20 PM   #110
420Coupe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpine White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
Genius...guess what...self absorbed thinking is the exact problem.

Now, I don't know where you are exactly, but let's take London as an example, where traffic is utter shit and you can get through town at a good average of about 13mph. Stop and go traffic is shit for emissions. And London's air quality is apparently pretty crap. Now, if you think just a little bit...if EVERYONE had this feature and used it, guess how many cars no longer sit idling away in traffic.

But keep thinking of no one but yourself.

I love that no one can give a single ounce of legitimate reasoning for turning it off. You guys are a special breed.

Does anyone really need any legitimate reason to do anything to their car?

we could argue legitimacy for any modification done; at the end of the day it's your car do with it as you please.
Appreciate 0