Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

04-25-2016, 04:01 PM   #1
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Arrow Windshield Cracked? Here is what you need to know

UPDATE 04/29/16: This is now fixed and I am extremely happy with the results. See Post #39 and 40 for what you need to know. This should really help you understand the process, what the F8X HUD widshield look like, parts that need to be changed and hopefully help you make a decision on the shop you use.

So I had read about a lot of windshields cracking easily on the new M's and now it happened with me The crazy thing is that I never even noticed it till later today on my way back from work. From what I have found out insurance will cover it but I still have to pay the $500 deductible Have a few questions and am hoping someone who has already been through this can help me make a decision:

1) The local Safelite quote me $732 for OEM glass. They told me that OEM is the only option and I was happy to hear that. Have any of you used Autolite? Would you take them over the dealer? I would still go through insurance but have the work done by Autolite

2) Dealer told me they do the install inhouse but I am having some trust issues here because I have a hard time believing that their service center can replace windshields. For those of you who went with the dealer, any plus of going with the dealer?

3) If going through insurance for the windshield replacement, will it show up on the carfax? And if yes, what does it show up as? Last thing I want is some generic crap that drives buyers away when I have to sell this in the future.

In summary, I am leaning towards Safelite and am looking for feedback on their work.

Thanks.

Attached Images

My Amazing European Delivery Story

Last edited by ///M///; 08-16-2018 at 07:19 AM..
Appreciate 2
RowanBuds1707.00
      04-25-2016, 04:38 PM   #2
Msmall143
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW S1000RR

i would never file a clam just to save $232

why do you have any hesitation having a dealer do this? they probably chang windshields daily. every car with a crack that comes in for state inspection probably gets rejected until they replace winshield. probably as common as replacing tires

where are you located?

oem part is an oem part so go with whatever is cheapest
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2016, 04:43 PM   #3
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Yeah, wouldn't file a claim for that. May effect your rates, and will only save you a couple hundred dollars.

On a related note, is there anyway to polish a windshield to remove the small pits and marring that comes from driving in a state with a real winter, and rocks and salt on the road? Or should I just bite the bullet and get a new windshield?
      04-25-2016, 04:43 PM   #4
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I'd also use the dealer and pay out of pocket if it is only an extra couple of hundred bucks.
      04-25-2016, 04:45 PM   #5
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
Yeah, wouldn't file a claim for that. May effect your rates, and will only save you a couple hundred dollars.

On a related note, is there anyway to polish a windshield to remove the small pits and marring that comes from driving in a state with a real winter, and rocks and salt on the road? Or should I just bite the bullet and get a new windshield?
My detailer polished the windshield on my previous car and it came out great. It won't take out cracks or chips, but may be worth a shot before replacing. There is glass polish that can be used.
      04-25-2016, 04:47 PM   #6
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: W205 AMG C63 / E70 X5M

Quote:

There are guys out there that can polish the windshield. Depends on the size of the chips, obviously....

As for insurance, you'll end up paying for it over the long term anyway. Just pay out of pocket

2017 C63
2012 X5M
SOLD: 2015 M3; 2007 X3 M Sport; 2014 X3 M Sport 35i; 2004 X5 4.4i; 1994 325i
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 05:13 PM   #7
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Insurance companies pay for chip repair to prevent the windshield from being cracked down the road. They get claims for cracked windshields all the time. I don't see how a cracked windshield would affect your rates at all.

I don't know if you have Safelite in your area, but I've had more than one windshield repaired for chips. I had the windshield replaced on my S2000 after having a piece of metal strike and dent the A pillar, cracking the windshield, while I was on the freeway. My rates didn't increase after that incident. Safelite does an excellent job and Liberty Mutual pays for Safelite to repair chips.

I was lucky, the strike was at head height and my top and windows were down. A foot farther back and it probably would have killed me.

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 05:18 PM   #8
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

I checked with insurance and they assured me that this doesn't affect rates. I understand it seems like is only $232 but I am already dishing out $500. To spend another $232 just on the assumption that instance might increase doesn't make sense. If there is a way to confirm that it will definitely go up then I see it as making total sense to pay the complete thing out of pocket.

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 05:23 PM   #9
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

You also asked about CarFax. Not sure if this will show up if going through insurance but hard to imagine it would show up if you don't.
      04-25-2016, 07:19 PM   #10
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

not sure what autolite is but I've used safelite and it was fine. Was also told by local socal dealers they sub out to safelite also.

Just make sure it is "oem dealer glass" and not just "oem glass" so it has the roundel and everything, and it should be fine.

Another nuance, is that (when it was done on my Z4) the sensors and trim pieces around the windshield were reused. I didn't care since it was a leased car, so OEM dealer glass going back on the car was good enough

for a keeper, I would ask about replacing the trim with new parts
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2016, 07:27 PM   #11
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
You can fill and/or polish out the pits and chips, but only the minor ones.
Anything major, and you will trade the chips for visual distortions. Which would be even more irritating.

For DD cars, windshields are a regular maintenance item, especially if you commute into sunrise/sunset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm918 View Post
I checked with insurance and they assured me that this doesn't affect rates. I understand it seems like is only $232 but I am already dishing out $500. To spend another $232 just on the assumption that instance might increase doesn't make sense. If there is a way to confirm that it will definitely go up then I see it as making total sense to pay the complete thing out of pocket.
Insurance games vary by state, so please don't take internet advise and check with your local car club / friendly local insurance adjusters.

I did have an E90 windshield replaced by Safelite (or was it Autolite?) 3-4 years ago. The glass was perfect, but they didn't order the right windshield gasket, and had to re-use the old + plenty of glue. The repair held and didn't leak, but I was less than thrilled with preparation and execution.

It was a leased car, so I ultimately didn't care.

a
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 07:35 PM   #12
AW BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 SS2 F80/18 AVUS BLUE F80

Mine recently had a rock hit it out on the highway and created a large crack that looked like yours. I went through the dealer to have it replaced with OEM glass and to assure a good job was done. Everything came out perfect, they even replaced the old rear view mirror with a new one since the old had no garage opener buttons and this one does, even the alarm light cover is no longer red but instead clear in color. I don't regret going with the dealer at all.

Last edited by AW BMW; 04-25-2016 at 08:52 PM.. Reason: l
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2016, 08:12 PM   #13
04RC51
Large Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F82 M4

Just pay out of pocket at the dealer and move on. Or obsess about it for days and torture yourself over $200.
      04-25-2016, 08:58 PM   #14
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Update: The dealer charges $1385.

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 09:11 PM   #15
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm918
Update: The dealer charges $1385.
Yeah 1385 changes things... Should have mentioned that sooner.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2016, 09:27 PM   #16
Lorall
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 G80CX

I just had my windshield replaced last week and I chose to go the dealership route. I did have the option to go with Safelite, which I've used in the past with good results, but my insurance company agreed to cover the more expensive dealership quote (minus my deductible). Since my car is still relatively new (less than 2K miles), I just felt more comfortable with getting it done at the dealership and would've paid the extra if I had to. I'm very happy with the end result.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2016, 09:34 PM   #17
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

I was merely pointing out that he was telling me to go with the dealer and not stress over 200 bux. I never stated what the dealer would charge so not sure how he assumed the $200 would be associated with the dealer.

Abyways, the point here was that I am trying to decide between the dealer and the other vendor. Just wanted feedback on who to go with. That's all. Money would be the same cuz as I stated in the original post insurance will cover it and I'll be liable for $500.

It was a about the quality of work, not the amount of money. That said, looks like I'll go with the dealer and hope it comes out ok.

Last edited by ///M///; 04-25-2016 at 09:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 09:36 PM   #18
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
The dealer charges $1385.
you need to check if your insurance will pay that full amount or if they will force you into the autolite quote. If so, you'll need to discuss the differences between the two and get an exception pushed through before doing any work

My GUESS from the last time I did this, is the gap is from the dealer using new trim pieces (maybe new sensor) and using dealer labor rates. As I mentioned earlier, if they will sub out the job anyway, just see if autolite with also do the new trim and sensor, and get insurance to pay for it

lastly, the first time I had a rock chip, I lowered my comprehensive deductible from $500 to $50 and found it had a negligible impact on my rates. It helped me a lot when it was windshield replacement time. could be worth considering for next time
Appreciate 2
      04-25-2016, 09:40 PM   #19
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
So I had read about a lot of windshields cracking easily on the new M's and now it happened with me The crazy thing is that I never even noticed it till later today on my way back from work. From what I have found out insurance will cover it but I still have to pay the $500 deductible Have a few questions and am hoping someone who has already been through this can help me make a decision:

1) The local Autolite quote me $732 for OEM glass. They told me that OEM is the only option and I was happy to hear that. Have any of you used Autolite? Would you take them over the dealer? I would still go through insurance but have the work done by Autolite

2) Dealer told me they do the install inhouse but I am having some trust issues here because I have a hard time believing that their service center can replace windshields. For those of you who went with the dealer, any plus of going with the dealer?

3) If going through insurance for the windshield replacement, will it show up on the carfax? And if yes, what does it show up as? Last thing I want is some generic crap that drives buyers away when I have to sell this in the future.

In summary, I am leaning towards autolite and am looking for feedback on their work.

Thanks.

I would check with your insurance, mine doesn't have a fee for windshield replacements, does it raise my rates if used is other question. It was considered an "act of god" the times I have used it.

I would also read the find print of others vs OEM at the dealership. The warranty could be worse or better, BMW may have a standard of repair that is higher. Also keep in mind any issues specific to sensors on the windshield maybe beyond the ability of the common shop.

My windshields replacements have never gone on Carfax, because its not often considered and accident but again as others have stated, its different in each area. I would check with the body shop/ insurance if your concerned.

I have done both OEM and Safelite replacements and can report no issues with either. Windshields are 30% glass and the rest is the ability of the installer, worst case if you don't like the results have them pull it out an do it over. My only recommendation is the odds are better at a shop vs the come to my office/home and do it in the parking lot, lowers the odds of outside uncontrollable outside factors.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2016, 09:42 PM   #20
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:

Its possible but you have to have the tools and skill set to do it. My experience is if you can run your nails on it and it catches you can't polish that out. Only option is to fill it or new windshield.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 09:47 PM   #21
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
Its possible but you have to have the tools and skill set to do it. My experience is if you can run your nails on it and it catches you can't polish that out. Only option is to fill it or new windshield.
Got it, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 09:52 PM   #22
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
dsm918

Side note, I would also look at your policy(s) and see if you changed your deductibles, the effect it has on your insurance overall. You might be shocked to find it only increases your yearly rate by very reasonable rate to drop down to a lower deductible on different areas. Sometimes you will find you can get more for less and options costs a few dollars to upgrade which add up on big ticket items.

Hopefully it all works out .

Last edited by DocWeatherington; 04-25-2016 at 09:57 PM..
Appreciate 1