EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

View Poll Results: After having owned Manuals and going to a DCT :
I Enjoy the Performance of the DCT, no Regrets whatsoever 112 56.85%
I mostly enjoy the DCT for Traffic Benefit & therefore could no go back to a Manual 18 9.14%
I like the Performance of the DCT but find myself getting bored, I will likely stay with a DCT 11 5.58%
I like the Performance of the DCT but find myself getting bored, I may go back to a Manual 31 15.74%
I absoultely regret my decision to Opt for a DCT, going back to a Manual 25 12.69%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

06-01-2018, 08:16 PM   #89
BLKSAPPE92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G80 Sao Paulo Yellow

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
Whatever you decide just be prepared for a torque converter AT only on the next gen.
Yea I feel it sucks after driving my first DCT bmw is moving away and I heard Mercedes-Benz AMG is moving too DCT
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 08:47 PM   #90
eonflux
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

I went from manuals to a PDK and regretted it.

Had manuals for more than 12 years, including a 987 Boxster, driving mainly around San Francisco as my DDs.
I hadn't had an auto in a long time, and since the 991 PDK has been so favorably reviewed (similar to DCT), I went for it.

PDK is much smoother, faster, more efficient, etc, than I could ever be with a manual. And it's fun in its own way.

But I got bored. My left foot and right arm got antsy (pulling paddles or using the gear selector to shift isn't the same as rowing through gears).

Also, with the PDK in auto mode, Normal transmission setting didn't shift in the pattern I wanted, nor did Sport (Sport Plus was just insane), and flipping the paddles in manual mode (literally) hundreds of times going the short distances between SF intersections was annoying. One saving grace is that with PDK, can pull both paddles to go into neutral, which let me drive it closer in manner to how I would a manual, then pulling either paddle goes into the appropriate gear for that vehicle speed.

In an F80 M3 now because I need 4 doors with 4 real seats, and wanted a manual again, but eager to get back into a 911, and have test driven 991.2 PDKs and manuals, and I would not go back to a PDK. Plus, the 911 manual gear box is much more enjoyable than that in the M3, more mechanical with shorter throws.

Also, PDK did some annoying things at low speeds, such as in parking garages or lots, parallel parking, etc. Parallel parking on slopes in SF was particularly challenging. I find a manual much easier to control in those situations, especially with a hill hold feature.

Unfortunately, you're not going to really know if you'll regret switching until you've lived with DCT for a while.
Driving my M3, there are times I wish I had an auto, such as in heavy traffic or when I'm tired.
And driving other cars with autos, there are instances I wish I had a manual.
Overall, the number of times I'm in an auto and wish I were driving a manual far outnumber the reverse.

Best of luck with your deliberation!

Last edited by eonflux; 06-01-2018 at 10:08 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2018, 09:03 PM   #91
2SNAILS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Blurple

Garage List
2018 F80  [9.75]
I got 3 words for u
Don't Do It!
3pedals
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2018, 09:22 PM   #92
gprgeorge
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Silverstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
What does later this year mean? As of now, there are no M3s being produced after June.
When will the next generation start production?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 09:26 PM   #93
Flacht3
Not Enough Garage Space
Rep
Drives: STO /765LTS/ Macan

I'm the weirdo that optioned the DCT and kept it in manual mode 99% of the time but that's exactly what I was looking for.

For me it's a happy compromise. You still feel somewhat connected and in-control but don't have to deal with the third petal, which is nice for me since I do a lot of city driving which means traffic and I'll be honest the hills of SF gave me anxiety with a manual. DCT gave me the best of both worlds and I'd do it again next time.

Plus after a few track days with the DCT I learned to really enjoy the benefit having less thing to worry about and being able to fully focus on driving. YMMV
      06-01-2018, 10:06 PM   #94
gprgeorge
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItIsChrisM View Post
I'm the weirdo that optioned the DCT and kept it in manual mode 99% of the time but that's exactly what I was looking for.

For me it's a happy compromise. You still feel somewhat connected and in-control but don't have to deal with the third petal, which is nice for me since I do a lot of city driving which means traffic and I'll be honest the hills of SF gave me anxiety with a manual. DCT gave me the best of both worlds and I'd do it again next time.

Plus after a few track days with the DCT I learned to really enjoy the benefit having less thing to worry about and being able to fully focus on driving. YMMV
That's great. That makes me feel better about switching to DCT!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 11:09 PM   #95
MNR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Originally wanted a DCT, ended up in a 6MT. I solely wanted DCT for daily driving ease and fast shifts...I commute in traffic multiple times daily and didn't want the hassle of 3 pedals. Plus the extra gear and all the stats of millisecond shifts etc. had me captured.

That beings said, I drove a DCT and felt something lacking. I decided to wait and drive a 6MT and was instantly sold. The car felt way more engaging and honestly felt quicker to me. With hill hold, active rev matching, and such an effortless clutch the car is an absolute breeze to drive. In addition, with the newest generation around the corner I decided to get a ticket on the three pedal train while I still could. I thought I would regret the 6MT a few months into ownership when the initial fun factor wore off and the labor of 3 pedals set in, but on the contrary, I keep finding excuses to drive the car.

I am not trying to be a preacher of 6MT like some do on this board but I strongly suggest driving a DCT car to gauge your true and individual impressions. The last thing I want to do is stir the pot or start a flame war but while DCT is indeed quicker, I myself found the 6MT to be more engaging. YMMV
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2018, 11:15 PM   #96
///My5UV
Lurker
Rep
Drives: YMB F80, SS E90

I’ve driven nothing but stick shift for 30 years but got a DCT a couple months ago. I use it in manual mode all the time, unless I’m stopped at a light and want the auto-stop to kick in.
I hate when I need to move it a few inches and I miss being able to do limo-smooth stops but overall i am still enjoying it on a daily basis.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 12:24 AM   #97
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3s and a Red VW

I think DCT fits the character of the M3/M4. The S55 is a brute, especially when tuned so we need the DCT to control this turbocharged beast. As a plus, those super fast shifts are great for keeping the turbos at full spool.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 07:53 AM   #98
gprgeorge
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNR View Post
Originally wanted a DCT, ended up in a 6MT. I solely wanted DCT for daily driving ease and fast shifts...I commute in traffic multiple times daily and didn't want the hassle of 3 pedals. Plus the extra gear and all the stats of millisecond shifts etc. had me captured.

That beings said, I drove a DCT and felt something lacking. I decided to wait and drive a 6MT and was instantly sold. The car felt way more engaging and honestly felt quicker to me. With hill hold, active rev matching, and such an effortless clutch the car is an absolute breeze to drive. In addition, with the newest generation around the corner I decided to get a ticket on the three pedal train while I still could. I thought I would regret the 6MT a few months into ownership when the initial fun factor wore off and the labor of 3 pedals set in, but on the contrary, I keep finding excuses to drive the car.

I am not trying to be a preacher of 6MT like some do on this board but I strongly suggest driving a DCT car to gauge your true and individual impressions. The last thing I want to do is stir the pot or start a flame war but while DCT is indeed quicker, I myself found the 6MT to be more engaging. YMMV
Great points. I really need to spend some time driving a DCT
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 08:33 AM   #99
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprgeorge View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
What does later this year mean? As of now, there are no M3s being produced after June.
When will the next generation start production?
We don't know. Many suspect summer of 2020 the next gen M3/M4 will debut as a 2021 model.
      06-02-2018, 08:35 AM   #100
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///My5UV View Post
I’ve driven nothing but stick shift for 30 years but got a DCT a couple months ago. I use it in manual mode all the time, unless I’m stopped at a light and want the auto-stop to kick in.
I hate when I need to move it a few inches and I miss being able to do limo-smooth stops but overall i am still enjoying it on a daily basis.
Don't you know how to engage "creep mode" on the DCT? That makes moving the car "a couple of inches" a breeze.
      06-02-2018, 08:37 AM   #101
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprgeorge View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNR View Post

Great points. I really need to spend some time driving a DCT
You really should. I was once a die hard 6MT guy and my last 6MT M car was my E46 m3. I had a few non-M 6MT cars after that (135 couple, 535 sedans) and then got a E92 m3 with DCT and was sold. The F82's DCT is even better than the unit in my E92. After 3 DCT cars, I would not go back to 6MT.
      06-04-2018, 06:49 AM   #102
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Owned a 2015 Manual. Now own a 17 zcp dct. PM me. I have insights.

Short of it: Depends on your use!!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 08:11 AM   #103
jdarwin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Convertible BSM DCT

I went back to a 6MT after a year of DCT in an M2. I missed the engagement of driving a stick (I also have an E30 vert w/ 5MT - but, it's not the same). It's not my daily so I wasn't concerned with driving in traffic. This may be the last M3 w/ a manual so I jumped. Also, I was concerned about the long-term maintenance on the DCT. This will (probably) be my last M car so I wanted something I could maintain myself whenever possible. Replacing a clutch in 10 years won't be as much of an issue (cost) as replacing a DCT unit.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 07:13 PM   #104
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
MT to DCT after injury to left quad made knee less than reliable. I worried about a loss of connection to the machine and to an extent that has been true, but nowhere near enough to make me regret this choice. I'm just over 2 1/2 years in now and this gearbox only gets better and better.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 04:46 PM   #105
NoMoreAudi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86

Garage List
2019 X6M  [0.00]
Just get the DCT. Manual transmissions are just for shiggles now.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 05:07 PM   #106
///My5UV
Lurker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300zhp View Post
Don't you know how to engage "creep mode" on the DCT? That makes moving the car "a couple of inches" a breeze.
Educate me. From a dead stop, how do you creep forward a couple inches? Do you have to be in D or with minimal shift speed?

I did figure out that I can slap it into neutral below 12 mph for a smooth stop instead of having the engine fight me.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 06:25 PM   #107
eonflux
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///My5UV View Post
Educate me. From a dead stop, how do you creep forward a couple inches? Do you have to be in D or with minimal shift speed?

I did figure out that I can slap it into neutral below 12 mph for a smooth stop instead of having the engine fight me.
If at a complete stop, to activate creep, you lightly stab at the gas pedal, and the car will start moving slowly. But if you really only want to literally move "a couple of inches", you have to be ready to quickly brake.

Inexplicably, this is what BMW did with the ZF torque converter/planetary gear traditional auto transmission in my X6M (F86). It could be hard to exactly move only a few inches with this process. With a manual gearbox and clutch, much easier to fine tune forward and back movements.

That may seem ridiculous to need such fine control, but in a condo building in SF with tight parking structures (narrow lanes and short spaces), and even tighter spots in many parking garages in the city, it really was annoying in many situations not too have the typical creep behavior for the type of transmission found in the X6M.

As for coming to a stop, particularly on a downward slope (lots of them in SF, with short distances between stop signs and street lights), I hated fighting with the engine coming to stops with PDK or traditional TC autos. But at least with PDK, could pull both paddles and shift into neutral, so if I was in manual mode, could keep my hands on the steering wheel. Pulling on either paddle puts PDK back in gear. With the X6M, would have to remove my hands from the steering wheel to move the transmission lever to neutral. Plus, there was a delay going into neutral--had to hold the shift lever in the N position for a brief moment for it to engage neutral while driving, which was annoying at times. Then to go back into gear, have to move the shift lever again, then go back to the steering wheel to use the paddles once you start moving.

Granted, my use case in SF is atypical for most drivers, and in general, driving around SF is challenging for any car, manual or auto, but for me, a manual gives me more control in all aspects of getting my car around, even if at times, it is more difficult (stop-and-go traffic on a long incline is frustrating). And in general, driving a manual is more fun for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 08:29 PM   #108
///My5UV
Lurker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eonflux View Post
if you really only want to literally move "a couple of inches", you have to be ready to quickly brake
Bingo. If I'm not on a hill I'll put it in neutral and just push it, or back up several inches and make another slow attempt at hitting my marks.
Basically I need to park in a very specific spot in the garage to leave room to move the garbage cart in and out. I have tape marks on the floor like they use to mark pit boxes in racing.
      06-20-2018, 11:09 PM   #109
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

I have posted in this thread earlier. Generally speaking I wish I went for manual gear box; however, after driving DCT for 2.5 years I have reached understanding that DCT vs manual is not a direct comparison. Just like helicopter vs airplane, Xbox vs computer, wine vs beer, etc. they cannot be fairly compared. In my opinion trying to use DCT as a manual is a mistake, instead the art is in using all of the modes and tech DCT delivers, and its a lot of fun too, and comfort....

Ps I will be getting a manual in my next new car to catch the history one more time before it's gone....
      06-21-2018, 01:12 AM   #110
elinstylez
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Enjoy manual while you still can!
Appreciate 0