proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

07-27-2018, 10:17 AM   #45
Graves
Sicario
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vip View Post
For those who have been using clearshine, do you wash down the car with a normal car wash soap and then do the clearshine or does clearshine replace the carwash process?
It replaces it. Just follow the directions. Spray it on, gently wipe off, spray a little more and buff. Shit works great man. It encapsulates the dirt.
vip159.00
      07-27-2018, 10:26 AM   #46
vip
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Alpine White M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graves View Post
It replaces it. Just follow the directions. Spray it on, gently wipe off, spray a little more and buff. Shit works great man. It encapsulates the dirt.
Haha okay thanks. How long does that 32oz bottle typically last? I'm also looking at Wet Coat as well from a coating perspective.
      07-27-2018, 10:29 AM   #47
Graves
Sicario
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Haha okay thanks. How long does that 32oz bottle typically last? I'm also looking at Wet Coat as well from a coating perspective.
The bottle is kind of small. I use a lot of it. For your first time, you will use almost the whole bottle because of the clay bar process. But after that, maybe a half a bottle or 3/4 each use. It really depends on the user and how dirty the car is. If it's just dusty, you won't use very much.

Check out Opti-Coat pro for sealent purposes.
vip159.00
      08-03-2018, 12:45 PM   #48
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S View Post
My 2cents..

If the car is coated, a waterless wash is easier and more manageable.

With that said, I would never waterless wash a car that was driven for a week a lot, nor wipe down a dirty car from sitting, etc.

A pressure pre-rinse would make things MUCH better when doing a waterless wash wipedown, but then there goes the water"less" part alebeit its less water used than a conventional wash.

Wheels = only a pressure wash cleaning if coated. if not coated, daily maintenance on them. If they are ceramic pads and produce less brake dust, any routine maintenance will work. ceramic pads with a coated wheel = easiest way to maintain the wheels.

in a nutshell, there are rare occasions where a WL wash is suitable for me.
Is there an issue with pressure washing non-coated wheels? My wash regimen includes pressure washer prerinse > Iron-X > Woolie agitation w/ wheel soap > pressure washer rinse. I usually only Iron-X every 2 weeks, but I do wash or maintenance wash (generally) every weekend.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 09:30 PM   #49
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
I have TzB and I'm way too chicken to attempt waterless on that
Appreciate 1
Clark_Kent2227.50
      08-22-2018, 01:20 PM   #50
Graves
Sicario
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Clearshine Waterless Wash at it again.
Attached Images

shay2nak1070.00
      08-22-2018, 01:28 PM   #51
r0wr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Beater

Quote:
Quote:
The bottle is kind of small. I use a lot of it. For your first time, you will use almost the whole bottle because of the clay bar process. But after that, maybe a half a bottle or 3/4 each use. It really depends on the user and how dirty the car is. If it's just dusty, you won't use very much.

Check out Opti-Coat pro for sealent purposes.
Isn't a bottle close to $15? Seems expensive for a DIY wash.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 05:06 PM   #52
vip
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Alpine White M5

Quote:
haven't tried my clearshine bottle yet, but hope to in the next few weeks. im testing out another similar waterless wash. yours looks good tho
      08-22-2018, 09:06 PM   #53
imcpa
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Quote:
Do you use the Clearshine on your rims and tires too????
Appreciate 1
Graves1130.00
      08-23-2018, 07:22 AM   #54
Graves
Sicario
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
haven't tried my clearshine bottle yet, but hope to in the next few weeks. im testing out another similar waterless wash. yours looks good tho
Yeah buddy. Love this stuff. I use it more as my back up. I have another that I use on a more permanent basis, it just doesn't shine as well if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcpa View Post
Quote:
Do you use the Clearshine on your rims and tires too????
I do! I use their tire dressing for the rubber.
      08-24-2018, 03:16 PM   #55
Eric S
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in pre-order stages

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie View Post
Is there an issue with pressure washing non-coated wheels? My wash regimen includes pressure washer prerinse > Iron-X > Woolie agitation w/ wheel soap > pressure washer rinse. I usually only Iron-X every 2 weeks, but I do wash or maintenance wash (generally) every weekend.
I meant you can get away with pressure washer only on coated wheels (especially with modesta BC06 in our experience) with the occasional sonax treatment instead of the bi-weekly sonax treatment. We have clients whos cars we maintain monthly. Their wheels are done with VERY minimal effort since they are coated. Other cars that do not have the wheels coated take more effort to clean thoroughly
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 04:35 PM   #56
r0wr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie View Post
I meant you can get away with pressure washer only on coated wheels (especially with modesta BC06 in our experience) with the occasional sonax treatment instead of the bi-weekly sonax treatment. We have clients whos cars we maintain monthly. Their wheels are done with VERY minimal effort since they are coated. Other cars that do not have the wheels coated take more effort to clean thoroughly
Can coatings on wheel be DIY'd effectively? If not, how much does it cost?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 12:44 PM   #57
Graves
Sicario
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Mmmm
Attached Images

09-09-2018, 01:55 PM   #58
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Damn that is shiny
Appreciate 1
Graves1130.00
      09-10-2018, 08:57 AM   #59
Eric S
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in pre-order stages

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0wr View Post
what do you mean?

Can you apply a coating yourself? Yes, there are a few DIY type that are simpler to do (can still mess them up)
There are stronger and more effective PRO versions that you need to take somewhere.

If you are talking can you maintain the wheels with Waterless, I have serious reservations about that as you are essentially dragging metal shavings, road debris, etc across the wheels. I'd coat and then still use a pressure washer instead
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 12:37 PM   #60
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Can anyone (that has used both) compare the clearshine product to CGWW? I like CG product but would like to get something like it that does not have the wax in it.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 02:29 PM   #61
r0wr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0wr View Post
what do you mean?

Can you apply a coating yourself? Yes, there are a few DIY type that are simpler to do (can still mess them up)
There are stronger and more effective PRO versions that you need to take somewhere.

If you are talking can you maintain the wheels with Waterless, I have serious reservations about that as you are essentially dragging metal shavings, road debris, etc across the wheels. I'd coat and then still use a pressure washer instead
Appreciate your response. I was asking whether or not Ceramic coatings can be done effectively and easily as a DIY. I would not be using waterless wash to clean them. Pressure washer seems to make sense in case given what you mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 08:11 AM   #62
Graves
Sicario
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Damn that is shiny
Thanks. Clearshine with Opti-Coat Hyper Seal.
      09-11-2018, 08:12 AM   #63
Graves
Sicario
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchdj View Post
Can anyone (that has used both) compare the clearshine product to CGWW? I like CG product but would like to get something like it that does not have the wax in it.
Clearshine does not have any sort of wax in it. It's a nano technology. Somewhat seals the car but not really. The stuff is awesome!
clutchdj1877.00
      09-15-2018, 12:58 PM   #64
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

I have been using clearshine for a while but a few months back I bought some chemical guys ecosmart to try out. Now that I have used it several times I think I make a fair comparison.

The ecosmart has wax in it which the clearshine does not. This makes wiping it off more challenging and I find that I need to buff it more to ensure there is no hazing. The clearshine however is super easy to use and buffs off with ease. However, while the ecosmart takes a little more effort I will say that the wax layer is really an added bonus and helps to keep the car cleaner longer. After a week of commuting with the typical dust near my office and some rain my car is noticeably cleaner with the ecosmart than it is with clearshine.

I'll still continue to use both but once my batch of clearshine is used up i may just stick with the ecosmart which is much cheaper and seems to protect better.
Appreciate 2
Graves1130.00
      09-16-2018, 12:14 AM   #65
r0wr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I have been using clearshine for a while but a few months back I bought some chemical guys ecosmart to try out. Now that I have used it several times I think I make a fair comparison.

The ecosmart has wax in it which the clearshine does not. This makes wiping it off more challenging and I find that I need to buff it more to ensure there is no hazing. The clearshine however is super easy to use and buffs off with ease. However, while the ecosmart takes a little more effort I will say that the wax layer is really an added bonus and helps to keep the car cleaner longer. After a week of commuting with the typical dust near my office and some rain my car is noticeably cleaner with the ecosmart than it is with clearshine.

I'll still continue to use both but once my batch of clearshine is used up i may just stick with the ecosmart which is much cheaper and seems to protect better.
Is your car ceramic coated? Im considering going to a rinseless wash but seems as if it's most effective if your car is already coated.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 04:24 AM   #66
Graves
Sicario
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:

That's why I started using this. Wipe on, drys clear.

I hear what you're saying though. Clearshine can get expensive. I keep it around more because I might be somewhere in Europe where I don't have access to my other "waterless" wash. So, I keep the bottle full and use it then. I use the Opti-Coat line now.
Attached Images