proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-07-2021, 04:31 PM   #1
drummajorc
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Engine Cranks, Will Not Start (Electrical Issues)

Hey all. Very recently purchased a 2015 M4, ~11k miles, that appears to have not been taken the greatest care of, but given the price I paid for it and considering myself pretty handy, was willing to take the risk on. It is my first M car and first BMW, coming off of owning various Mercedes for the last 8 years.

The problem started about 2 miles from home, driving along at a steady speed, then I get "drivetrain malfunction stop carefully" and "drivetrain malfunction drive moderately", engine cuts out, and car rolls to a stop and will not turn back on. Note the car ran very well on any driving before this point, no indication of any engine issues for a 11k mile car. Car will crank, but will not start, so I get it towed home.

Pulled codes with Bimmerlink, got quite a number of codes, but no communication from the DME and no engine codes. Discovered what an IVM (Integrated Supply Module) is and followed the wiring to and from it, found the power wire to the IVM from the front capacitor box was not routed as it should be along the rubber trim on the firewall, but instead around/under the charge air cooler, where it was cut by being pinched between the air cooler and another cables' metal holder.

Bought a used IVM/Cable off eBay, assuming this to be my main/only problem (battery is fine, showing ~13.4 volts between the posts and at the jumper post in the engine bay. Replaced the cable and cleared codes with bimmerlink and tried to start again, still no luck, but now I am getting communication with the DME and getting codes from there.

I have seen a few other posts with these same codes on the F30 forum or other cars with the N55 engine, but none ever had a resolution. The codes are:

1F0515: Valvetronic, supply voltage: line interruption
113027: Ignition and injectors relay, injection supply voltage: Open circuit
123401: Electric wastegate, learning to stop, cold start: malfunction
123402: Electrical wastegate 2, learning to stop, cold start: malfunction
1B5202: Terminal 15N_1: no voltage
1B5402: Terminal 15N_3: no voltage
1B5302: Terminal 15N_2: no voltage

133102: Valvetronic relay, control: short circuit to ground
1F4A02: Relay ignition and injectors, control: short circuit to ground
160502: Crankcase ventilation heating, control: short circuit to ground
1F4A10: Ignition and injectors relay, control: line interruption
133104: Valvetronic relay, control: line break
130002: VANOS solenoid valve inlet, control: short circuit to ground
130202: VANOS solenoid valve outlet, control: short circuit to ground
1C0202: Engine oil pressure control valve, control: short circuit to ground
12B102: Lambda probe heating upstream of the catalytic converter, activation: short circuit to ground
164020: Inlet camshaft sensor, electrical: short circuit to positive
164030: Exhaust camshaft sensor, electrical: short circuit to positive 102A01: Air mass meter, signal: electrical fault
102A11: Air mass meter 2, signal: electrical fault

I think the root of my problems are centered around these "terminal 15N" codes, as that appears to provide power to the DME/all the other accessories listed and would prevent the car from starting (valvetronic, VANOS, Ignition etc) and are consistent with the cable supplying to the IVM being bad. I found a Voltage supply system PDF that details the path of terminal 15N through the various fuse boxes in the F82 model.

I have checked:
- All fuses in engine fuse box - good
- All fuses in trunk fuse boxes - good
- Fuses in FEM (front electric module) - good
- Voltage at the battery and at the engine battery post - good
- Pulled battery out and hooked up to lithium charger overnight
- Voltage at the cable going into the IVM (3.5V when ignition on, 0v when cranking) - could be a problem? Not sure yet

I have not yet checked/tried:
- Replacing the front fuse box - apparently there is a relay built into this box that is part of terminal 15N
- Hooking up car to ISTA and scanning/clearing codes there - I have a cable in the mail right now and installed ISTA on a laptop, waiting on the cable to see what it says.

If it is not a wiring issue or anything related to terminal 15N, then will move on to the various accessories listed in the error codes and unplug what I can (valvetronic motor, etc.) and see if there is a short there drawing power. Worst case/what I hope to avoid is the DME being fried. Any suggestions or information is most welcome. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 06:34 PM   #2
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

It's the 1F4A02 that has me chiming in. When I fried my DME the FEM took a hit and the mechanic showed me inside (cut open) where the fuses are. This driver-side module near the DME feeds the injectors and spark coil circuits. I think you're looking at replacing the Front Electronic Module (driver side).
      05-07-2021, 06:55 PM   #3
drummajorc
Rep

Thanks, I think that is the IVM (integrated supply module) not sure why that acronym, the one on the driver side strut tower in the engine bay, I cut the old one open as well and all the fuses seemed whole, the cable running to it is what was cut. The FEM I was suggested to check was a white unit inside the passenger footwell, against the fender, it has fuses that are visible on top of it, I pulled and checked those and no issues there. I called the local BMW dealer and got a helpful advisor, who suggested resetting codes via ISTA, as they may just need to be cleared at this point so I will try that too.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 07:14 PM   #4
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummajorc View Post
Thanks, I think that is the IVM (integrated supply module) not sure why that acronym, the one on the driver side strut tower in the engine bay, I cut the old one open as well and all the fuses seemed whole, the cable running to it is what was cut. The FEM I was suggested to check was a white unit inside the passenger footwell, against the fender, it has fuses that are visible on top of it, I pulled and checked those and no issues there. I called the local BMW dealer and got a helpful advisor, who suggested resetting codes via ISTA, as they may just need to be cleared at this point so I will try that too.
Yes, the one on the strut tower is the one I described. Sorry I can't help more. I hope the ISTA fix works.
      05-11-2021, 04:19 PM   #5
behindthen0thing
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

If you have the diagrams.
The FEM sends a signal to that relay board on the LH strut, and that relay board sends voltage to your DME to spark the ignition.
I had a bent pin on my FEM and it took a while to find that.

You should get somebody who is an electrician with the diagrams and have him ring out the voltages. don't throw parts at it.
The relay board is like 150$.
Everything else is very expensive.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2022, 11:45 AM   #6
drummajorc
Rep

For anyone else who has these codes/issues, this was caused by a short in the cable going from the front jump point along the back of the engine to the IVM. I replaced both the cable and the IVM but still had no start.

I then traced a lack of voltage at the front jump terminal back to the trunk to the red power distribution box mounted above the battery behind the trunk liner. That box had a blown fuse, I bought a used box and installed it, and everything started working again and has been working now for over a year.

The fuse box has the number 922775205 on it.

the IVM is part number 12638645515.

The cable had the number 7851481, which will pull up results on eBay, but I do not have the BMW number.

Hopefully this helps anyone with the same issue.
Appreciate 3
TopJimmy5449.50
Matt21433.50
      08-24-2022, 07:44 PM   #7
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Thank you for coming full circle with your process and the fix! Others will benefit.
      11-07-2023, 11:50 PM   #8
Hanni
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i gtx

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummajorc View Post
For anyone else who has these codes/issues, this was caused by a short in the cable going from the front jump point along the back of the engine to the IVM. I replaced both the cable and the IVM but still had no start.

I then traced a lack of voltage at the front jump terminal back to the trunk to the red power distribution box mounted above the battery behind the trunk liner. That box had a blown fuse, I bought a used box and installed it, and everything started working again and has been working now for over a year.

The fuse box has the number 922775205 on it.

the IVM is part number 12638645515.

The cable had the number 7851481, which will pull up results on eBay, but I do not have the BMW number.

Hopefully this helps anyone with the same issue.

Can you please upload a picture of how you tested the Fuse?? I'm so confused
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 09:04 AM   #9
Matt214
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2106 BMW M3 (F80) MT

I'm wondering if I have the same issue. My 2016 was running perfectly, no known issues. I drove it a few days ago and parked it when I got home like always. Got inside it yesterday so I could take it out to wash it and when I clicked the start button, it just cranks. All the accessories came on like normal and the cranking was healthy and quick so no battery issue. Just so odd that it would be running just fine and then come out to start it a couple days later and just cranks and cranks. I'll attach the codes it's throwing and also the gauge read out showing there is low pressure fuel and appears from cranking there is positive high pressure fuel as well.

drummajorc , were you able to see the fuse that was blown in your red power distribution box? Hoping it's something simple like that.

If anyone else has insight, would appreciate it too!
Attached Images

03-25-2024, 08:08 PM   #10
Matt214
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2106 BMW M3 (F80) MT

I started a new thread and have updates there for those who are interested: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...9#post31018489