GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

09-13-2020, 11:13 PM   #1189
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Apparently there will be a 1000hp m5 ev coming out in the future. If it’s like any other ev, maintenance costs will be close to zero

Also there are a ton of high power pickup ev coming out in the future which should have a lot more space

I’ve posted this before, but if anyone is on the fence about ev right now, don’t force it, because the product tech is moving quickly and the industry is heading in that direction anyway.

For now the focus for gas loyalists should be getting some all out sports cars in the garage to have as long term keepers, and then get the next gen of EV when whatever objection you have about the current gen is resolved
BMW is too late to the game. The 1000hp M5 is going to be slower than the new Model S coming out. That said I think the real contender to watch is Lucid. Their new car, if specs are true, will give Tesla serious competition.
      10-20-2020, 07:32 AM   #1190
wicked1044
Master
Rep
Drives: 750i

I did it.. Ordered a 2021 M3P and getting rid of the F80.. 3.1 0-60 is insane.
The no sound is still weird to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 07:58 AM   #1191
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1044 View Post
Congratulations and enjoy - the recent updates are really nice!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 02:31 PM   #1192
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1044 View Post
The speed is one thing but best to adjust your expectations on quality/fitment now bc Tesla is no where close to the Germans in that dept. Otherwise it's fun to have super car speed on tap.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 10:39 PM   #1193
YellowF80
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow M3

I just did it too.

After 9 years of 3 consecutive BMWs (2013 335i, 2016 M3, 2018 M3 competition) all manual transmission, I just ordered a new Tesla Model 3 Performance after the refresh. The instant torque is addictive and this car cannot be beat as a daily. Only difference now is that I got a naturally aspirated, manual transmission weekend car last year as a second car.

I wanted to wait and get a G80 in the spring but cannot get over the additional weight gain, front end styling, and some other things.

Lets see how the Tesla works out for me...
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      10-21-2020, 10:52 AM   #1194
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowF80 View Post
I just did it too...The instant torque is addictive and this car cannot be beat as a daily...
Congrats, and absolutely true - it's a virtually unbeatable daily driver. It's comfortable, practical, responsive, has a great audio/infotainment system and you can utterly demolish traffic or shoot any gap with just a simple flex of your right ankle.

I've also really enjoyed mine on backroad blitzes and even on long road trips, where the lane-keeping and traffic-aware cruise control make for a relaxing drive.

Hope you'll enjoy yours as much as most of us owners have!
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      10-21-2020, 05:48 PM   #1195
BMWsully
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Can anyone summarize the recent refresh changes? I thought I saw some relatively minor things, but I may have been looking at something else. Also considering one once my F80 is up in the next 6 months or so.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 08:08 PM   #1196
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWsully View Post
Can anyone summarize the recent refresh changes? I thought I saw some relatively minor things, but I may have been looking at something else. Also considering one once my F80 is up in the next 6 months or so.
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-mode...r-console/amp/

The heat pump has since been confirmed, which will help minimize range loss in colder weather.
Appreciate 2
BMWsully162.00
JTO245246.50
      10-22-2020, 01:58 AM   #1197
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

im definitely considering the m3p more and more. especially with the nice refresh updates and blackout package.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 01:04 PM   #1198
ReddsektoR
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 DCT AY

I almost got one, but after test driving, the insane acceleration over and over got old as I don't practically see myself doing that most of the time as a daily driver. So then it just felt boring to me lol. But nevertheless very nice, smooth car for the price.

Considering going more broke for a used 992S
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      10-22-2020, 04:06 PM   #1199
PKizzle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, E36 M3, X4 M40

I am intrigued by the Model 3, and my wife wants one. But every time I visit the tesla forums, I get put off by that crowd and want nothing to do with it. Most of them, obviously not all, seemed to have moved to the Model 3 from econo boxes, and are now convinced that the Model 3 with its shitty paint job and leaky interior is the greatest car ever made, and everything else is just a slow piece of junk. Apparently stopping 5 minutes for gas once a week is now the worst task know to man. And the whole I am doing everyone else a favor and saving the earth by driving this car.

Oh, not to mention...it annoys me to no end that they keep referring to the Model 3 as an M3. What an insult that is...

I'd actually be more inclined to get a Model 3 as the wife's car if it didn't come with the baggage of Elon and the Tesla cult.

</rant over>
Appreciate 5
stein_325i25051.00
MFNATIK3487.00
jrkal246.00
      10-22-2020, 06:08 PM   #1200
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKizzle View Post
I am intrigued by the Model 3, and my wife wants one. But every time I visit the tesla forums, I get put off by that crowd and want nothing to do with it. Most of them, obviously not all, seemed to have moved to the Model 3 from econo boxes, and are now convinced that the Model 3 with its shitty paint job and leaky interior is the greatest car ever made, and everything else is just a slow piece of junk. Apparently stopping 5 minutes for gas once a week is now the worst task know to man. And the whole I am doing everyone else a favor and saving the earth by driving this car.

Oh, not to mention...it annoys me to no end that they keep referring to the Model 3 as an M3. What an insult that is...

I'd actually be more inclined to get a Model 3 as the wife's car if it didn't come with the baggage of Elon and the Tesla cult.

</rant over>
That cult is slightly worse than the 10 second burble tune cult here.
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      10-22-2020, 06:43 PM   #1201
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
...Most of them, obviously not all, seemed to have moved to the Model 3 from econo boxes, and are now convinced that the Model 3...is the greatest car ever made...
I came from 20 years of Audis, most recently a tuned S6. I get more enjoyment overall from my Model 3 Performance than from any car I’ve previously owned. It’s not perfect, but it’s a heck of a car...full stop.

Go drive one (with an open mind) and see how you like it.

Last edited by ZCD1; 10-22-2020 at 09:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 11:45 PM   #1202
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddsektoR View Post
I almost got one, but after test driving, the insane acceleration over and over got old as I don't practically see myself doing that most of the time as a daily driver. So then it just felt boring to me lol. But nevertheless very nice, smooth car for the price.

Considering going more broke for a used 992S
Get an older gt3 or turbo + model 3P so you don’t have to choose.

Model 3P is a 4000lb family sedan so it’s never going to have the low seating position and lower weight of a dedicated sports car

I enjoy my model 3P a lot and take it out to the canyons with friends from time to time but yea, it IS super boring compared to my 911 or spec Miata. It better be more boring or those sports/competition cars are failing at their entire reason for existing if an EV commuter is more exciting. Lol.

Btw, anyone here have the FSD beta? I’m on the “wide” early access program so I don’t think I’ll get the beta for a few more months. REALLY excited that is coming to fruition. New center console or grey wheels or whatever is nothing compared to having the car turning corners on city streets by itself!
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      10-23-2020, 09:14 AM   #1203
PKizzle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, E36 M3, X4 M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCD1 View Post
I came from 20 years of Audis, most recently a tuned S6. I get more enjoyment overall from my Model 3 Performance than from any car I’ve previously owned. It’s not perfect, but it’s a heck of a car...full stop.

Go drive one (with an open mind) and see how you like it.
Thanks for sharing that. This matters as it's coming from the perspective of someone who has had fun cars. I have a buddy who moved to Model 3 from a Leaf and keeps preaching about who he blows the doors of ICE cars. Well..yeah, if your last car was a Leaf, then I am sure the Model 3 is amazing. But then so will any decent gas performance car. So it's good to hear from others who have had performance cars, and still find the Model 3 appealing.

While I've never driven one, I did have an extensive ride in a Model 3 AWD, and came away thoroughly impressed by the effortlessness of the acceleration and the tech. Like I said, I am interested in the Model 3, and the wife wants it for her next car. So we will likely end up getting one at some point. Just need to stay away from the Tesla forums, and all will be well.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 09:30 AM   #1204
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
...Btw, anyone here have the FSD beta? I’m on the “wide” early access program so I don’t think I’ll get the beta for a few more months. REALLY excited that is coming to fruition. New center console or grey wheels or whatever is nothing compared to having the car turning corners on city streets by itself!
I have to say that as of now, I have zero interest in Full Self Driving. I didn't think it was worth the money at $7K, so I'm even less interested at $10K, even with the supposed improvements and additional capabilities.

Now, if there were a way to get automatic lane change for freeway driving for a nominal fee, I'd probably do that, because that's where I find my Enhanced Auto Pilot (or whatever it's called now) most useful.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 01:47 PM   #1205
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:

</rant over>
I ran into a bunch of Tesla cult members at a super charger at Harris Ranch a few weeks ago and they saw I had my 666Ms in the back of the Model 3 and said, oh why do you have BMW wheels? I said, its b/c I have a Real M3 that those go on, not this fake Model 3 M3, in a kidding way course, and I got some looks hahaha. I couldn't help myself, it was like a reflex b/c it annoys me to death they call their cars M3s. PLEASE....
Appreciate 4
      10-23-2020, 03:29 PM   #1206
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for sharing that. This matters as it's coming from the perspective of someone who has had fun cars. I have a buddy who moved to Model 3 from a Leaf and keeps preaching about who he blows the doors of ICE cars. Well..yeah, if your last car was a Leaf, then I am sure the Model 3 is amazing. But then so will any decent gas performance car. So it's good to hear from others who have had performance cars, and still find the Model 3 appealing.

While I've never driven one, I did have an extensive ride in a Model 3 AWD, and came away thoroughly impressed by the effortlessness of the acceleration and the tech. Like I said, I am interested in the Model 3, and the wife wants it for her next car. So we will likely end up getting one at some point. Just need to stay away from the Tesla forums, and all will be well.
My $0.02 is drive the performance version with a slightly lower suspension and ps4s tires. The one with all seasons and comfort suspension is not fun

All forums can be echo chambers, this one included.

You definitely should not get a tesla if you are a stickler for “tradition” or get wrapped around the axle by fit/finish, or if getting tesla makes you not get your dream sports car. It’s a recipe for disappointment
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      10-23-2020, 06:11 PM   #1207
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

kind of off topic but is there any rumor/plan of a small tesla sports car? something to compete with the supra / 400z / Z4 ?

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 06:44 PM   #1208
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCD1 View Post
I have to say that as of now, I have zero interest in Full Self Driving. I didn't think it was worth the money at $7K, so I'm even less interested at $10K, even with the supposed improvements and additional capabilities.

Now, if there were a way to get automatic lane change for freeway driving for a nominal fee, I'd probably do that, because that's where I find my Enhanced Auto Pilot (or whatever it's called now) most useful.
Yea, I previously wondered if I should have just bought tesla stock with the $5k instead of some vaporware FSD.

My $0.02 is that as long as tesla is a viable company (and it really looks like it’s here to stay) then I paid $5k to have a full self driving car at some point in the future. That’s well worth it, in my book, since we like the model 3P a lot in my household and when it becomes FSD, it’s a guaranteed “keep forever” car.

I guess everyone has to draw a line somewhere, but for me the allure of completely checking out on a long road trip, or having my car meet me somewhere and drive me home, or tow me and a gas car to the track autonomously, is huge!

As an aside, humdizzle, I haven’t heard of a small tesla sports car. I think porsche electric cayman or Honda will come with those first
Appreciate 1
Humdizzle6024.00
      11-28-2020, 06:10 PM   #1209
Liquid2.0T
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: It used to be a BMW...

Am I crazy for wanting a Tesla Model Y performance once my lease is up on my F80? I'm super interested to get some EV experience and I now have a 13 month old and we will be planning for a 2nd soon. The F80 is super quick (some bolt-ons) but I'm almost turning 40 and I think I may need to tone it down a bit. Plus the G80 is not something I want at the moment.

Will I experience instant regret picking up the MYP coming from an F80?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 07:39 AM   #1210
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid2.0T View Post
Am I crazy for wanting a Tesla Model Y performance once my lease is up on my F80?...Will I experience instant regret picking up the MYP coming from an F80?
Depends on which vehicle characteristics are important to you.

The MYP’s quickness will never fail to impress and it has plenty of space for people and gear but it certainly won’t handle like a sports sedan.
Appreciate 0