GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

02-07-2016, 02:27 AM   #23
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's on first View Post
Just look at how many have been for sale second hand.

I would not buy them again.
What specifically didn't you like about them though?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 07:56 AM   #24
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Quote:
Originally Posted by W///
Quote:

What specifically didn't you like about them though?
They are so damn noisy.

Embarrassing noisy.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 08:58 AM   #25
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
They are so damn noisy.

Embarrassing noisy.
Ah ok, that I've heard about. That would certainly drive me insane
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 10:00 AM   #26
Alvinized52
@ste4lthedF82
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 SSII

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:

Thats your reason for being displeased? Because there's of how many folks are selling it second hand? I thought you would have a more legitamit reason.

I have HAS... Fairly satisfied with it. i dont plan to track my car cuz i dont have the time... Also , I dont have much in comparison since i switched from stock and never looked back.
But really curious why some folks are not happy and why V3 or coils would be much better even for a DD.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 10:11 AM   #27
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvinized52 View Post
Thats your reason for being displeased? Because there's of how many folks are selling it second hand? I thought you would have a more legitamit reason.

I have HAS... Fairly satisfied with it. i dont plan to track my car cuz i dont have the time... Also , I dont have much in comparison since i switched from stock and never looked back.
But really curious why some folks are not happy and why V3 or coils would be much better even for a DD.
Re: Your statement as to a legitimate reason----

I thought you would have read all posts.

Play attention to post #8.

Carry on now.

EDIT: Not to mention 2 posts about your comment.

Keep carrying on now.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 12:53 PM   #28
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvinized52
Quote:

Simple for me... Stock damping sucks IMO, springs don't fix that.

Coilovers do
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 02:26 PM   #29
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Wow and I thought I was picky jeeze
      02-07-2016, 04:11 PM   #30
dave12285
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CS

It's interesting that there's this common theory that floats around on all performance car message boards about suspension. They generally revolve around the price of the suspension directly relating to the type of use. What I mean by that is people thinking that springs are fine for daily driving because they just want to be a bit lower and coilovers are for the track. Same thing when you're just talking about coilovers like, I only need these "pick your color" coilovers instead of JRZs because they're fine for the street. Let's squash those thoughts. Dampers from companies like MCS and JRZ are awesome on the street. Creating excellent, compliant damping with great handling for street driving is extremely difficult to do.

If you're OK with making a large sacrifice to ride quality and geometry then springs are for you. If you want to be lowered with compliant damping and spring rates to match, get some coilovers made for the street. Jrz RS1's are made just for that person but people think because they're 3500 that they're overkill for the street. As mentioned before, single adjustable dampers are plenty for the street if they're tuned correctly with the spring rates from the factory. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 4
BMW953.00
AlterZgo1537.50
      09-26-2016, 08:48 AM   #31
mhanism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Can anyone share recommended street settings for front/rear Rebound + Compression? The stock KW settings do seem a bit on the stiffer/sportier side and wanted to tame things down a tad for daily/street use.

Thanks!
MY14 335i M Sport (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 10:52 AM   #32
rif75
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 LCI ZCP and BMW M5 f10

Hi guys,

Same question for me. Going to buy an M4 without the adaptative suspension and I'm looking for the best compromise for a street/track use settings. I'm not doing track a lot but still, if I have to put a street settings and a different track settings, ok for me.

Found this on the KW website, standard settings front and rear

Rebound: 9 clicks open
Bump: 6 cliks open
      10-01-2016, 11:11 AM   #33
supremepower
Supreme Leader
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80, 996GT2, 996TT, 991RS 356b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhanism View Post
Can anyone share recommended street settings for front/rear Rebound + Compression? The stock KW settings do seem a bit on the stiffer/sportier side and wanted to tame things down a tad for daily/street use.

Thanks!
Factory settings as mentioned are definitely a good way to start it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by rif75 View Post
Hi guys,

Same question for me. Going to buy an M4 without the adaptative suspension and I'm looking for the best compromise for a street/track use settings. I'm not doing track a lot but still, if I have to put a street settings and a different track settings, ok for me.

Found this on the KW website, standard settings front and rear

Rebound: 9 clicks open
Bump: 6 cliks open
Great starting point is the standard settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave12285 View Post
It's interesting that there's this common theory that floats around on all performance car message boards about suspension. They generally revolve around the price of the suspension directly relating to the type of use. What I mean by that is people thinking that springs are fine for daily driving because they just want to be a bit lower and coilovers are for the track. Same thing when you're just talking about coilovers like, I only need these "pick your color" coilovers instead of JRZs because they're fine for the street. Let's squash those thoughts. Dampers from companies like MCS and JRZ are awesome on the street. Creating excellent, compliant damping with great handling for street driving is extremely difficult to do.

If you're OK with making a large sacrifice to ride quality and geometry then springs are for you. If you want to be lowered with compliant damping and spring rates to match, get some coilovers made for the street. Jrz RS1's are made just for that person but people think because they're 3500 that they're overkill for the street. As mentioned before, single adjustable dampers are plenty for the street if they're tuned correctly with the spring rates from the factory. Hope this helps.
Actually we can get you into the JRZ RS1 for stock top mounts for a quite a bit less - you may be pleasantly surprised. Dont want to post pricing on the KW thread so if you want info please reach out.

Springs are definitely not the answer unless you want to only lower the car and throw out the M feeling and performance.

Sales & service of BBS Street & Motorsport products.
BBS Highest Volume Dealer 2015 thru 2022
All the top brands at the prices and service you can count on. Professional installation.

Last edited by supremepower; 10-19-2016 at 11:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 01:00 PM   #34
mhanism
Captain
United_States
Rep

Lol - I was asking for settings other than the factory settings, which I found to be stiffer, and I'm told to start with the factory settings...
MY14 335i M Sport (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 01:30 PM   #35
supremepower
Supreme Leader
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thanks!
I didnt see your comment.

On stiffness, try reducing compression settings slightly by lets say 2 clicks down.

See if that helps w reducing the stiffness on the street.

Its all adjustable so its pretty easy to make a change and go for test drive. If you need help drop me a PM...will help you out.

All the top brands at the prices and service you can count on. Professional installation.

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 01:50 PM   #36
mhanism
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremepower
Quote:

Thanks!
I didnt see your comment.

On stiffness, try reducing compression settings slightly by lets say 2 clicks down.

See if that helps w reducing the stiffness on the street.

Its all adjustable so its pretty easy to make a change and go for test drive. If you need help drop me a PM...will help you out.
Thank you!!
MY14 335i M Sport (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 05:27 PM   #37
mhanism
Captain
United_States
Rep

Wanted to provide a quick review of the KW v3. I had them installed about 2.5 weeks ago and have about 700 miles on them. The fronts are lowered by about 1.5" and the rear about .75" or so? I'm running 275/295/30/19 MPSS tires, the lower profile tires is part of the reason why I went to KW v3. Settings are currently at FR: Rebound 9 turns soft/Bump 11 turns soft, Rear: Rebound 10 turns/Bump 11 turns soft. My car is my daily, and I wanted to keep the rebound responsive + sporty, but mellow out some of the bumps around the city.

The performance of the coilovers + dampening at higher speeds or under acceleration are quite impressive. Very controlled and the car is on rails. Very smooth around corners and everything just sticks. The wider tires also help with this. At lower speeds or around crappy roads, you can def. feel the sport nature of the set up and the stiffer rates. The overall ride is very much under control however, and I'd say it pushes the M3 towards the motorsport side of the equation w/o sacrificing daily driveability. I'm curious to see how the coilovers perform after some more miles and break-in.

I also have ZCP sway bars, and adjustable end links were added during corner balancing and alignment. While the difference was not night and day, the corner balancing evened out things weight wise and height wise, and brought back that BMW feel during steering and cornering.

HUGE KUDOS + PROPS to Justin over at AutoTalent!! I was doing some suspension shopping and he spotted my inquiries and activity in the forums, and PM'ed me with some recommendations and ideas. He was extremely thorough in providing pros and cons for the various options and provided a plethora of pictures of similar cars with different susp. set-ups as reference items. He was also EXTREMELY responsive to my questions and patiently replied to my texts and emails. The final pricing on the set-up was also really competitive. If you ever have any suspension or car mod needs or questions, go hit up Justin, he won't let you down!
MY14 335i M Sport (Sold)
Appreciate 2
psuwcc112443.50
AlterZgo1537.50
      10-19-2016, 07:57 PM   #38
supremepower
Supreme Leader
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wanted to provide a quick review of the KW v3. I had them installed about 2.5 weeks ago and have about 700 miles on them. The fronts are lowered by about 1.5" and the rear about .75" or so? I'm running 275/295/30/19 MPSS tires, the lower profile tires is part of the reason why I went to KW v3. Settings are currently at FR: Rebound 9 turns soft/Bump 11 turns soft, Rear: Rebound 10 turns/Bump 11 turns soft. My car is my daily, and I wanted to keep the rebound responsive + sporty, but mellow out some of the bumps around the city.

The performance of the coilovers + dampening at higher speeds or under acceleration are quite impressive. Very controlled and the car is on rails. Very smooth around corners and everything just sticks. The wider tires also help with this. At lower speeds or around crappy roads, you can def. feel the sport nature of the set up and the stiffer rates. The overall ride is very much under control however, and I'd say it pushes the M3 towards the motorsport side of the equation w/o sacrificing daily driveability. I'm curious to see how the coilovers perform after some more miles and break-in.

I also have ZCP sway bars, and adjustable end links were added during corner balancing and alignment. While the difference was not night and day, the corner balancing evened out things weight wise and height wise, and brought back that BMW feel during steering and cornering.

HUGE KUDOS + PROPS to Justin over at AutoTalent!! I was doing some suspension shopping and he spotted my inquiries and activity in the forums, and PM'ed me with some recommendations and ideas. He was extremely thorough in providing pros and cons for the various options and provided a plethora of pictures of similar cars with different susp. set-ups as reference items. He was also EXTREMELY responsive to my questions and patiently replied to my texts and emails. The final pricing on the set-up was also really competitive. If you ever have any suspension or car mod needs or questions, go hit up Justin, he won't let you down!

Very awesome man! Glad you got this dialed in and set up!

Appreciate 1
mhanism277.00
      10-19-2016, 10:56 PM   #39
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:

Thanks for the kind words Mike, it's been a pleasure working with you

I'm really happy that you got everything dialed in to your liking! Car looks great!

Thought I would add a quick pic - pre lip installation -

Appreciate 1
mhanism277.00
      04-08-2019, 11:58 AM   #40
Machinist
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:

Hey, you managed lowering the rear by only 0.75" ? Would that leave you say about 1 finger wheel gap at the rear?

I'm having issues with my rear being slammed (cannot even squeeze 0.5 finger into the rear wheel gap) and the workshop tells me that I cannot go any higher .
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 09:32 AM   #41
mhanism
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinist View Post
Quote:

Hey, you managed lowering the rear by only 0.75" ? Would that leave you say about 1 finger wheel gap at the rear?

I'm having issues with my rear being slammed (cannot even squeeze 0.5 finger into the rear wheel gap) and the workshop tells me that I cannot go any higher .
I think it was around .75, maybe a bit less like .65-.75 range, but I was running lower profile tires too. Overall though, I didn't like the KWs though, way too busy.
MY14 335i M Sport (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 11:39 AM   #42
Machinist
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinist View Post
Quote:

I think it was around .75, maybe a bit less like .65-.75 range, but I was running lower profile tires too. Overall though, I didn't like the KWs though, way too busy.
What set up are you on now?
Still using the KWs?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 12:07 PM   #43
mhanism
Captain
United_States
Rep

I don't have the car anymore actually. But I swapped out to Bilstein PSS10's and liked them a LOT better. Lot less busy dampening on lower speeds and a much better quality ride. You can go as low as you'd need with them. Also IMO - the construction quality vs. the KW v3 was in a different league. I'm sure their clubsport products are better/nicer, but the v3 was very meh to me.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd go Ohlins RT. They're a bit pricier, but muuch better in terms of ride quality and technology - you just won't be able to lower more than 1".
MY14 335i M Sport (Sold)
Appreciate 0