Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-07-2019, 03:39 PM   #23
melvyn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

You can buy the full retrofit BMW MCCB for less than 9k Euros fitted, thats front and rear disks, Calipers , pads and new servo.You guys in States will be able to do the same.I paid 7.5k UK Pounds for mine on my previous F80.You can also get the disks refurbed as long as they are not chipped.

Buying second hand

Check none of the three markers on each disk has turned black, this happens when the disks have been over 600C for long periods without cooling.
Pads on the F8X CCB are 18mill thick including the 6 mill backing plate{so 12 mill to play with].Check the pad thickness against the mileage, if its a dealer car, you can ask him to bring up the cars diognostics to see if the pads have been replayced as they need to be reset for the Idrive.

My pads in this car new were set at 90k front and rear, they will alter and update to your driving style, mine are now 70k rear and 80k front after 8k miles, pad thickness are down to 9.5 mill front and rear from 12 mill, that is fast road driving with heavy braking.My M6 pads were down to 6 mill after 15k miles, but that is a heavy car compared to the F8X.

If your looking at a second hand car with say 20k miles on the clock and the pads are down to 6-7 mill, you know the car has been driven hard, but that does not meen abused.
If you look at the disks and see a friction coating you will know the brakes have been used as should be, this coating also stops the brakes from squeaking, you have to bed them in to get this coating, shiny disks mean the brakes have not been used to there potential and pads should still have a lot of thickness left.
Pads are recommended to be changed at 5 mill , as they will hold more heat if not, they also have studs that hold the pad to the backing plate which I am pretty sure are 3 mill into the pad.

The MCCB are made for the road, they heat up very quickly,on track BM states they are good for 2-2.5k miles of heavy use.

They are a fabulous kit, do your homework when looking at second hand.
Appreciate 1
Colinv64030.50
      04-07-2019, 03:54 PM   #24
melvyn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I don't believe the F8X CCB have a minimum thickness printed on them.
Correct, they do have the minimum weight stamped on them with production week and year.
Appreciate 1
CanAutM321116.50
      04-11-2019, 02:03 AM   #25
coldM2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw340iMPPSK/BmwM2MPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvyn View Post
You can buy the full retrofit BMW MCCB for less than 9k Euros fitted, thats front and rear disks, Calipers , pads and new servo.You guys in States will be able to do the same.I paid 7.5k UK Pounds for mine on my previous F80.You can also get the disks refurbed as long as they are not chipped.

Buying second hand

Check none of the three markers on each disk has turned black, this happens when the disks have been over 600C for long periods without cooling.
Pads on the F8X CCB are 18mill thick including the 6 mill backing plate{so 12 mill to play with].Check the pad thickness against the mileage, if its a dealer car, you can ask him to bring up the cars diognostics to see if the pads have been replayced as they need to be reset for the Idrive.

My pads in this car new were set at 90k front and rear, they will alter and update to your driving style, mine are now 70k rear and 80k front after 8k miles, pad thickness are down to 9.5 mill front and rear from 12 mill, that is fast road driving with heavy braking.My M6 pads were down to 6 mill after 15k miles, but that is a heavy car compared to the F8X.

If your looking at a second hand car with say 20k miles on the clock and the pads are down to 6-7 mill, you know the car has been driven hard, but that does not meen abused.
If you look at the disks and see a friction coating you will know the brakes have been used as should be, this coating also stops the brakes from squeaking, you have to bed them in to get this coating, shiny disks mean the brakes have not been used to there potential and pads should still have a lot of thickness left.
Pads are recommended to be changed at 5 mill , as they will hold more heat if not, they also have studs that hold the pad to the backing plate which I am pretty sure are 3 mill into the pad.

The MCCB are made for the road, they heat up very quickly,on track BM states they are good for 2-2.5k miles of heavy use.

They are a fabulous kit, do your homework when looking at second hand.
Wow, this was really informative thank you. When did the facelift for m4 happen was it late 2016? Any major differences with buying a 2014 model contra 2016-17? Thanks for all the answers
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 02:43 PM   #26
melvyn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by black340 View Post
Wow, this was really informative thank you. When did the facelift for m4 happen was it late 2016? Any major differences with buying a 2014 model contra 2016-17? Thanks for all the answers
Major software update to address traction issues, went into mine in Oct 2015, made you feel the car did not want to kill you anymore.Other than that , not a lot of diff from 14-16.
Appreciate 0