Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-02-2019, 01:07 PM   #1
giulio12
Rep
Drives: Bmw M4 (F83)

Best exhaust flap controller M4

Hi all,

I would like to buy an exhaust flap control system. But I am not sure about the advantages and disadvantages of each system. In general I would like to have a system that I can mount by myself and that is easy to be used and controlled.

Here my findings:

1. Machtschnell
Pro: does not occupy to much space in the driver seats and has many additional functions (which I still have to understand)
Cons: most expansive kit, occupy the obd2 port.

2. Can flap module
Pro: cheaper than the machtschnell, easy to install
Cons: occupy more space in the driver seat

3. Bimmerlink app + OBD2
Pro: cheapest solution, has a lot of monitoring functions, can be used from the phone.
Cons: as far as I understood does not keep memorized the selection of the flap, if the app is closer than the function of the flap goes back to oem.

I saw many post and many different suggestions. I would like to understand which is the best solution considering both pros and cons.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 01:11 PM   #2
Kev608
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

I am pretty sure you can use Bimmerlink to open it, then go under the car and unplug them to leave them open all the time. I legit never drive the car without them open. The sound still brings me joy after 3 years of ownership.
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2019, 01:23 PM   #3
giulio12
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev608 View Post
I am pretty sure you can use Bimmerlink to open it, then go under the car and unplug them to leave them open all the time. I legit never drive the car without them open. The sound still brings me joy after 3 years of ownership.
I agree with this option, but I would like to always have control to close or open. Here where I live people can get annoyed by the noise
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 01:43 PM   #4
Kev608
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by giulio12 View Post
I agree with this option, but I would like to always have control to close or open. Here where I live people can get annoyed by the noise
Then I think you need to decide what is most important to you. Space in the seat, money spent, ease of use, additional features, etc. This is a personal preference thing. None of these solutions are bad or inherently better than the other. Personally, I would go with Bimmerlink if I did not have integrated can flap control.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 01:51 PM   #5
giulio12
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev608 View Post
Quote:
Then I think you need to decide what is most important to you. Space in the seat, money spent, ease of use, additional features, etc. This is a personal preference thing. None of these solutions are bad or inherently better than the other. Personally, I would go with Bimmerlink if I did not have integrated can flap control.
Ok, I think that the machtschnell is the more complete solution.

But do you confirm me that with the bimmerlink app, that the flaps close when the app goes away from the screen? Is it correct that the option is not memorized?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 01:57 PM   #6
TheirThere
867-5309
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP and E36 328i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
MHD tune allows you to associate driving modes with the flap control.
If you enable the option, the flaps are always open in Sport and Sport+.

Kinda nice if you don't want to bug your neighbors.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 02:47 PM   #7
giulio12
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheirThere View Post
MHD tune allows you to associate driving modes with the flap control.
If you enable the option, the flaps are always open in Sport and Sport+.

Kinda nice if you don't want to bug your neighbors.
Thank you for the advice. Actually the mhd looks very powerful, but seems can be used only with an Android
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 08:30 PM   #8
dukecityevo
Rep
Drives: M4

I went with CG Precision Variable Sound Controller (VSC-2) it will remotely control your vehicles exhaust sound. The controller mounts directly to the valve actuator motor, located near the muffler. You can switch from open to close or close to open using key fobs that are provided, or through the BMW HomeLink system.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 09:04 PM   #9
giulio12
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukecityevo View Post
I went with CG Precision Variable Sound Controller (VSC-2) it will remotely control your vehicles exhaust sound. The controller mounts directly to the valve actuator motor, located near the muffler. You can switch from open to close or close to open using key fobs that are provided, or through the BMW HomeLink system.
That is another option I have considered, but it will require the intervention of a mechanic with an extra cost.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 11:56 PM   #10
MisterF80M3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I have the CG VSC. It is probably one of my favorite mods.
      11-03-2019, 04:17 AM   #11
giulio12
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF80M3 View Post
I have the CG VSC. It is probably one of my favorite mods.
Is it easy to be installed? I think I will have to ask a mechanic to lift the car.

On the ordering website the ask you the desired configuration. But I guess that can be easily be changed. Correct?

[IMG]https://share.icloud.com/photos/0JiO...fNyt9941arN_jA[/IMG]

Additionally, are the settings memorized? Meaning that if I leave the car with the flaps open when I turn it open, next time I will use it they will still be open. Correct?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 04:25 AM   #12
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
Is it easy to be installed? I think I will have to ask a mechanic to lift the car.

On the ordering website the ask you the desired configuration. But I guess that can be easily be changed. Correct?

Additionally, are the settings memorized? Meaning that if I leave the car with the flaps open when I turn it open, next time I will use it they will still be open. Correct?
The car will start with the ‘default settings’ - whatever you choose when you order the item. This cannot be changed later.

The vsc does not memorise the last setting, car will start with your default setup.

I have had the CG VSC for about 2 years, my settings are ‘Automatic/factory‘ as default and ‘open’ when activated.

This means I can start my car in the morning (in a quiet efficient OEM mode) without waking my neighbours and without having to press any buttons.
Once I’m out of the neighbourhood, I press the vsc controller button to open the flaps and that’s it.

Highly recommend the vsc controller.
It does not require the car to be lifted, you can fit this easily by getting under the car. Bit uncomfortable, but can be done...
      11-03-2019, 04:36 AM   #13
giulio12
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
Quote:

The car will start with the ‘default settings’ - whatever you choose when you order the item. This cannot be changed later.

I have had the CG VSC for about 2 years, my settings are ‘Automatic/factory‘ as default and ‘open’ when activated.

This means I can start my car in the morning (in a quiet efficient OEM mode) without waking my neighbours and without having to press any buttons.
Once I’m out of the neighbourhood, I press the vsc controller button to open the flaps and that’s it.

Highly recommend the vsc controller.
It does not require the car to be lifted, you can fit this easily by getting under the car. Bit uncomfortable, but can be done...
Ok, thank you. For sure this is a good choice. I just read that some people had some defective units, did you have any problem?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 03:21 PM   #14
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Ok, thank you. For sure this is a good choice. I just read that some people had some defective units, did you have any problem?
2 years.. and not a glitch.
      11-03-2019, 03:59 PM   #15
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

I have the CG VSC as well and it works perfectly. If all you are looking for is valve control then it's def the best. You can program it to your home link buttons too.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 07:26 PM   #16
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

The way the JB4 lets you control valves using the BC button is really convenient, but if you don't have a JB4 the OBDII CANflap module gives you the same benefit. Plus an optional in dash boost gauge and some other fun stuff. It's really easy to install and remove too as you don't have to worry about adding wire splices behind the OBDII port. So it has my vote.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 12:14 AM   #17
kenf80
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

+1 CG VSC-2 best one IMO. Doesn't use OBD and easy to install. I have the ON setting as valves always open and OFF setting is Factory operation. This way when you click off you can still use the Sport and Sport+ drive modes to open the valves.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 12:47 PM   #18
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
The Macht Schnell EVC does not hijack the OBD2 port, it installs in ~15 minutes and utilizes a passthrough feature when diagnostic equipment is plugged in. It's also upgradeable via USB as new features are released.

Once installed, the footwell remains completely stock, rather than seeing a device plugged in all the time.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 12:51 PM   #19
giulio12
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
The Macht Schnell EVC does not hijack the OBD2 port, it installs in ~15 minutes and utilizes a passthrough feature when diagnostic equipment is plugged in. It's also upgradeable via USB as new features are released.

Once installed, the footwell remains completely stock, rather than seeing a device plugged in all the time.
Ok... I think I will go the cg vsc as suggested by most people.

I still would like to use bimmerlink/bimmercode to visualize data and customize some settings.

Honestly I don't know which adapter to buy. Does anyone have a suggestione?
Appreciate 1
arashir164.00
      11-04-2019, 01:56 PM   #20
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Honestly I don't know which adapter to buy. Does anyone have a suggestione?
You don’t necessarily need a Bluetooth adaptor anymore with Bimmerlink/ BimmerCode. You can directly connect via Ethernet cable to OBD2 port. The connection is a lot faster and far more stable.

Get a cheap OBD2Ethernet adaptor (sub £/$10); and then if you have a iPhone, you can use a Lightning to Ethernet Adaptor or if the latest iPads or laptop; get a USB-C to Ethernet adaptor.

Last edited by gspannu; 11-04-2019 at 02:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 07:21 PM   #21
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Our most popular option is the VSC

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 04:24 AM   #22
drgmt