European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-28-2020, 08:34 PM   #23
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
FYI, the functionality available with the ConnectedDrive app varies depending on what version of iDrive that you have. MY 2016 M3/M4 (and 2017, but not sure) has iDrive 4. 2018 has iDrive 6. Not sure about 2019+, but I think that MY 2020 might be iDrive 7. Someone with MY 2017, 2019, and 2020 cars can chime in here for confirmation.

I have a 2016 M4 with iDrive 4. My wife has a 2018 M3 with iDrive 6 (and touch screen). I have both cars in my BMW Connected App (Android) and it indicates that I have Connected and she has Connected+. If I have the M3 selected, when I go back and select the M4, I get the message "The vehicle with no BMW Connected+ subscription may not support all features."

One the main screen the M3 shows Fuel Level and Range, and whether the vehicle is locked or not. The M4 doesn't show this info.

Under the "Info" tab, the M4 shows "No status available", but gives me a message that I can connect my phone via USB and "information such as mileage and average speed will be shown here". The M3 shows 2 categories, Check Control Messages for Engine oil and tire pressure (OK); and Serviced Required statuses (mileage and date) for Engine oil, Brake fluid, and Vehicle check, along with the current mileage.
2019 is the same as 2018. I have the same info that your M3 has.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 11:22 PM   #24
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
You can do the following

1) Send addresses from your phone to your car
2) Locate your car
3) Turn on the headlights from your phone
4) Honk the horn from your phone
5) Lock and Unlock the car from your phone
6) Ventilate the car (Turns on the fan, not AC)
7) Check the status of the car (if hood is opened, window is opened or door is open, etc).

I feel like it's worth it just for the car tracking, yes it's easy to disable but I feel it's worth it to see where my car is located and to check if I remembered to lock the car.
Someone with MY 2017, 2019, and 2020 cars can chime in here for confirmation.
The 2016 MY has iDrive EVO 4, which only updates the vehicle's data (Fuel level, mileage, service required, ect) when physically plugged into the USB outlet. Also, iDrive 4 EVO version of "ConnectDrive+" is a little watered down, since it's doesn't allow "real time" map tracking, when shared with others, just an ETA.

2017 MY uses iDrive 5 & 2018-2020 MY uses iDrive 6. Both updates the APP with the vehicle's data, wireless, without having to plug it ones phone into the vehicles USB outlet. The "ConnectDrive+" feature for these two iterations does allows real-time map tracking, when the status is share with a recipient.

iDrive 7 is only available on the "G-Series" models, with the digital cluster.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25628539

My brother owns a 2020 M340i with iDrive 7 is ages ahead the previous generations, can't wait to get my next car with this technology.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 11:41 PM   #25
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:

FYI, the functionality available with the ConnectedDrive app varies depending on what version of iDrive that you have. MY 2016 M3/M4 (and 2017, but not sure) has iDrive 4. 2018 has iDrive 6. Not sure about 2019+, but I think that MY 2020 might be iDrive 7. Someone with MY 2017, 2019, and 2020 cars can chime in here for confirmation.
2016 and Some early 2017 with HU HW level 2.x have iDrive 4

Some later 2017 cars and some early 2018 with HU HW level 3.x have iDrive 5.

Some later 2018 and 2019-2020 with HU HW level 4.x have iDrive 6.

Unfortunately no iDrive 7 in F Series built on the 3 base. Only in the the G2x 3 base on SOME units. iDrive 7 totally changed how system works and integrates. Suspect all G8x models will be on iDrive 7 or later.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 01:48 AM   #26
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I opted for the $150 option because the auto map update wasn't an itemized option, it was all or nothing.

I did add two new features that wasn't originally included called "ConnectDrive+" where you can send someone the status, in real time, of your exact distance and arrival time.

And; "Online Speech Processing" which uses the vehicle's 4G LTE connection to complete vehicle commands or complete online searches.
Your 2016 M2 has iDrive 4, not iDrive 6. You don't have the tile display that is part of iDrive 6. The video you linked to shows iDrive 6 features, not iDrive 4 features. iDrive 4 doesn't have Connected+ capabilities, so you can't "add" services that weren't originally supported. It's a hardware/firmware thing.

As far as I can tell, when the original 4 year subscription expires, purchasing the Connected Plus Package just continues the services that you've had, not adds new features. See my post above about the ConnectDrive features that my wife has in her 2018 M3 with iDrive 6 vs. my 2016 M4 with iDrive 4.

If you actually did add ConnectedDrive Plus then you'll have your fuel level and range displayed on the main screen of your BMW Connected app.

My ConnectedDrive subscription expires on 5/15 and I can't renew until 2/15, so I'll see then if anything changes.

Last edited by SD ///M4; 01-29-2020 at 10:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 02:04 AM   #27
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
iDrive 4 doesn't have Connected+ capabilities, so you can't "add" services that weren't originally supported. It's a hardware/firmware thing.
WoW, so you are telling me what I have in my vehicle? Don't you think I'm aware what's different from the last 4 years, up to the point that I renewed the subscription?

I'm not a noob, I just broke down to a science each iDrive iteration and explained the fact that it's operates differently on iDrive 4 EVO, even linked a bunch of other members that confirms this.

Prior to "Connected+" being added, the menu options are now different, where you're now allowed to send statuses and use the the "cloud" based voice command to perform searches.

I do have Connected+, it's labeled inside the vehicle and it's allow you send the status, it just doesn't update unless the vehicle status until you plug in the USB, a common issue with iDrive 4 EVO.
Attached Images

Last edited by Poochie; 01-29-2020 at 02:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 07:53 PM   #28
E92TiAg335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 Azurite/Opal DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuttana View Post
OP, in the same boat as you. I decided to just go with the basic Connected Package $50 yesterday. The most important features to me were:
- Sending address to car's navigation
- Monitor the vehicle/check the status, since I park outside
- Ventilate the car during the summer, since I park outside
- Utilize the Connected Apps

My car has the NBT EVO 2015-4 Navigation Version, which I just purchased the Map Update off of eBay for the 2019-3 latest Version, so didn't bother getting the Connected Package Plus $150.
Can you post link to this? Can't find it!
      02-05-2020, 07:57 PM   #29
smuttana
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21' G80 M3 Comp

@E92TiAg335i
Search "BMW Navigation MAP UPDATE 2020 Lifetime FSC CODE+MAP DATA Europe+North America"
      02-05-2020, 09:47 PM   #30
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
WoW, so you are telling me what I have in my vehicle? Don't you think I'm aware what's different from the last 4 years, up to the point that I renewed the subscription?

I'm not a noob, I just broke down to a science each iDrive iteration and explained the fact that it's operates differently on iDrive 4 EVO, even linked a bunch of other members that confirms this.

Prior to "Connected+" being added, the menu options are now different, where you're now allowed to send statuses and use the the "cloud" based voice command to perform searches.

I do have Connected+, it's labeled inside the vehicle and it's allow you send the status, it just doesn't update unless the vehicle status until you plug in the USB, a common issue with iDrive 4 EVO.
I didn't mean to get your panties in a bunch, I'm just going by what my experience currently is and the fact that our cars are the same MY.

You have a 2016 M2 and I have a 2016 M4. I'm assuming that you have the same version of iDrive/ConnectedDrive that I do, although that could possibly be different due to M2/M4 differences, but I doubt it. My ConnectedDrive subscription can't be renewed until February 15, so I don't know what options I will have when I renew it, but currently it shows that I will only be able to renew the individual services that I currently have and it also shows that the 7 service ConnectedDrive Plus Package that you say that you purchased is not available for my VIN. I'll have to wait until February 15 to see what is actually available then.

What I do know, and I mentioned it above, is that my ConnectedDrive app (Android) shows that I have ConnectedDrive and my wife's 2018 M3 has ConnectedDrive+. If I am viewing the M3 in the app and switch to the M4, I get the message "The vehicle with no BMW Connected+ subscription may not support all features." I doubt that even if the $150 ConnectedDrive Plus Package is available to me in February and I buy that one that I will have all of the ConnectedDrive+ features that my wife's M3 has. I may have more functionality, but I won't have the same functionality. Hence, it doesn't really seem like the the "ConnectedDrive Plus Package" is the same as "ConnectedDrive+".

Once I'm able to renew my ConnectedDrive subscription, I'll report back and let you know if my experience and results are the same as yours.

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 10:20 PM   #31
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I didn't mean to get your panties in a bunch, I'm just going by what my experience currently is and the fact that our cars are the same MY.

You have a 2016 M2 and I have a 2016 M4. I'm assuming that you have the same version of iDrive/ConnectedDrive that I do, although that could possibly be different due to M2/M4 differences, but I doubt it. My ConnectedDrive subscription can't be renewed until February 15, so I don't know what options I will have when I renew it, but currently it shows that I will only be able to renew the individual services that I currently have and it also shows that the 7 service ConnectedDrive Plus Package that you say that you purchased is not available for my VIN. I'll have to wait until February 15 to see what is actually available then.

What I do know, and I mentioned it above, is that my ConnectedDrive app (Android) shows that I have ConnectedDrive and my wife's 2018 M3 has ConnectedDrive+. If I am viewing the M3 in the app and switch to the M4, I get the message "The vehicle with no BMW Connected+ subscription may not support all features." I doubt that even if the $150 ConnectedDrive Plus Package is available to me in February and I buy that one that I will have all of the ConnectedDrive+ features that my wife's M3 has. I may have more functionality, but I won't have the same functionality. Hence, it doesn't really seem like the the "ConnectedDrive Plus Package" is the same as "ConnectedDrive+".
My panties are fine, I'm just marveled when someone is able to be simultaneously arrogance and ignorant and still yet not short-circuit their brain. They're asking a question but at the same time me telling me the answer, with such conviction..

I don't have all the answers but when someone shares new information with me, I first vet it and if it checks out, accepted it for what it is or not. But I digress..

All BMW iDrive hardware, OS, and modus operandi are identical amongst each specific model year from 1-4 series. For instance, from the model year 2016 regardless if it's a 120d all the way up a fully loaded M4, would have the identical unit, for that year, as long as you have the iDrive option, for that year. So you trying to differentiate an M2 to M4 unit is pointless and moot, I just assumed that was already self-explanatory but I guess not.

I told you specifically that when you opt the for $150 ConnectDrive package, which is exclusively tailored for the just the 2016 MY iDrive 4 EVO unit, you get a variation of ConnectDrive+, which you can now go into a new menu, with an exclusive online voice assistance option, pull up your contacts and send someone the details for your arrival time. It's just a arrival time estimate. Prior to the selection of the aforementioned package, there is a new menu.

On the 2017 MY and above, if you opted for the iDrive option, you get the iDrive 5 and 2018 and beyond, you get iDrive 6. The ConnectDrive package is different, amongst each model year, to that of iDrive 4 EVO's option.

With those units, ConnectDrive+ is only free for the first year and then your have to opt for a $24 a year plan.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=24981802

With iDrive 5 & 6, unlike that of 2016 iDrive Evo 4, when you call up your contacts and and send it to someone, they receive a link, where they can track your progress, in real time, instead of just a hard printed estimate.

On the iDrive 4 EVO, it's part of the $150 plan, labeled and included as Connect+, same moniker as the iDrive 5 & 6 offerings but its doesn't send a "real time" map link.

If I wasn't yet privy to this info and someone shared it with me, I would be grateful and not try to insult them.

It's not like I would get offended by a burn thrown by some random screen name, on the internet. It's just a waste of bandwidth and all it does is derails the subject.

You want to get at me, from my inner core; prove me wrong with evidence, not hurl sticks and stones, like a 10 year old ..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 02:00 PM   #32
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My panties are fine, I'm just marveled when someone is able to be simultaneously arrogance and ignorant and still yet not short-circuit their brain. They're asking a question but at the same time me telling me the answer, with such conviction..

I don't have all the answers but when someone shares new information with me, I first vet it and if it checks out, accepted it for what it is or not. But I digress..

All BMW iDrive hardware, OS, and modus operandi are identical amongst each specific model year from 1-4 series. For instance, from the model year 2016 regardless if it's a 120d all the way up a fully loaded M4, would have the identical unit, for that year, as long as you have the iDrive option, for that year. So you trying to differentiate an M2 to M4 unit is pointless and moot, I just assumed that was already self-explanatory but I guess not.

I told you specifically that when you opt the for $150 ConnectDrive package, which is exclusively tailored for the just the 2016 MY iDrive 4 EVO unit, you get a variation of ConnectDrive+, which you can now go into a new menu, with an exclusive online voice assistance option, pull up your contacts and send someone the details for your arrival time. It's just a arrival time estimate. Prior to the selection of the aforementioned package, there is a new menu.

On the 2017 MY and above, if you opted for the iDrive option, you get the iDrive 5 and 2018 and beyond, you get iDrive 6. The ConnectDrive package is different, amongst each model year, to that of iDrive 4 EVO's option.

With those units, ConnectDrive+ is only free for the first year and then your have to opt for a $24 a year plan.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=24981802

With iDrive 5 & 6, unlike that of 2016 iDrive Evo 4, when you call up your contacts and and send it to someone, they receive a link, where they can track your progress, in real time, instead of just a hard printed estimate.

On the iDrive 4 EVO, it's part of the $150 plan, labeled and included as Connect+, same moniker as the iDrive 5 & 6 offerings but its doesn't send a "real time" map link.

If I wasn't yet privy to this info and someone shared it with me, I would be grateful and not try to insult them.

It's not like I would get offended by a burn thrown by some random screen name, on the internet. It's just a waste of bandwidth and all it does is derails the subject.

You want to get at me, from my inner core; prove me wrong with evidence, not hurl sticks and stones, like a 10 year old ..
Whoah, take a breath dude...

Appreciate 2
      02-20-2020, 01:50 AM   #33
Boilerplate4U
Registered
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW X3/F25 xDrive35d

Quote:
One the main screen the M3 shows Fuel Level and Range, and whether the vehicle is locked or not. The M4 doesn't show this info.
We recently bought an X3 (2017, F25 Mfr. 03/2016) which I believe has iDrive 4. I can control things like locks, AC/Heater and honk the horn (with a huge delay though) however I can't see any status at all with the App or the Web site.

A couple of questions:
1. Firmware installed seems to be pretty old (MN-003.001.002 / TN-003.001.002) so the question is whether an upgrade will allow you to see more information about the car or is this a limitation in iDrive 4?

2. Any idea where you might find detailed information about what features different iDrive versions supports? (the wiki page doesn't give much details)

All suggestions are welcome!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 10:48 PM   #34
bitterspeak
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G80

Quote:
@E92TiAg335i
Search "BMW Navigation MAP UPDATE 2020 Lifetime FSC CODE+MAP DATA Europe+North America"
Thanks for the eBay tip. Is this compatible for all iDrive versions? Or do I have to search for a specific map that matches my iDrive version (I have a 2016 M3 so I guess I'm most likely on v.4)?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 12:51 AM   #35
Ru35ian
Rep
Drives: 18' F82 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92TiAg335i View Post
So my next question is as follows:

What tier do you guys have? The $50, $150, or $225 tier?
I bought the 150 tier.

To each their own, but I got M4 over M2comp in large part because of the nicer interior and (!!!) HUD. I like to throw my directions up there and not look at my phone. It's a bit clumsy to send directions from the phone every time, but I think it's worth it.

I think the main thing next tier has is some kind of parking locator and I don't know how that would benefit me...
      05-24-2020, 08:11 AM   #36
smuttana
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21' G80 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterspeak View Post
Quote:
@E92TiAg335i
Thanks for the eBay tip. Is this compatible for all iDrive versions? Or do I have to search for a specific map that matches my iDrive version (I have a 2016 M3 so I guess I'm most likely on v.4)?
When purchasing I believe you provide the last 7 of VIN, and they provide you the file depending if you have the NBT or NBT EVO
      05-26-2020, 02:06 AM   #37
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ru35ian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92TiAg335i View Post
So my next question is as follows:

What tier do you guys have? The $50, $150, or $225 tier?
I bought the 150 tier.

To each their own, but I got M4 over M2comp in large part because of the nicer interior and (!!!) HUD. I like to throw my directions up there and not look at my phone. It's a bit clumsy to send directions from the phone every time, but I think it's worth it.

I think the main thing next tier has is some kind of parking locator and I don't know how that would benefit me...
The higher tier for $225 is just adds the Concierge Service (Call in help, like 411).

It's pretty much useless and doesn't add any additional features to the iDrive interface.

You're not missing anything by selecting the $150 plan.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0